Final Fantasy VII Abridged Series

Jason Tandro

Banned
AKA
Jason Tandro, Doc Brown, Santa Christ, FearAddict, Thibault Stormrunner, RN: Micah Rodney
Actually yeah ForceStealer is right on that assertion. They'll cry in between every tasty mouth-watering bite of your decomposing flesh.

Anyways I think it's a moot point. I feel like Red was designed with both canine and feline influences to create a relatively unique animal. Really Red XIII always struck me as a sort of cross between Bagheera (the panther) and Akela (the wolf) from The Jungle Book.

For the record I have three little asshole cats who do make all kinds of weird noises but howling is clearly a canine trait. I also have a Boston Terrier but with respect to the animal cruelty in breeding that led to her existence a Boston Terrier is about as much a "dog" as Final Fantasy: All The Buckos is a Final Fantasy Game. (topical joke)

robotwarui

kraplach
AKA
badrobot
He looks feline, but he doesn't look like a cat. His hind legs specifically are more canine than feline.

If we're talking about what animal he looks like the most, I would say a cheetah, which is a feline. If you're comparing him between dogs and cats of the house grown variety, he absolutely looks more like a dog.

In my 2nd playthrough of the OG, I named him Catdog - from that cartoon on Nickelodeon - for the very same reasons

Lex

Administrator
I was reading the Wiki entry on Cait Sith for information and I came across this which I thought was fairly hilarious given the discussion that was just had in here:

Cait Sith rides on the back of Red XIII in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Tetsuya Nomura has mentioned in interviews the idea transpired based on an old game concept he once had, which included a cat riding on a dog.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Dogs are better than cats, anyone who things otherwise should die in a fire~
If this were anywhere else, I'd probably be worried you might not be joking. I just want to point out I'm not a fan of this kind of joke and would rather it be avoided in the future if possible.

Why do people think Red is more doglike? Maybe because cats don't HOWL.

And dogs don't roar. Cats have a wider vocal range than dogs do and could potentially manage a sound similar to howling, though their different size and body would cause them to sound different. Typically, any howling sound used in fiction is going to belong to a wolf, while all the roars are from tigers because they're more impressive than a lion's. You'd be surprised of the sounds some animals are capable of, especially if you ever hear an animal that's usually quiet.

He looks feline, but he doesn't look like a cat. His hind legs specifically are more canine than feline.

If we're talking about what animal he looks like the most, I would say a cheetah, which is a feline. If you're comparing him between dogs and cats of the house grown variety, he absolutely looks more like a dog.

Nanaki.jpg

mountain_lion3.jpg

MaleCrossingRoad.jpg

P.t.altaica_Tomak_Male.jpg

Cheetah_Kruger.jpg

Grey%20Wolf%203.jpg

Cuon.alpinus-cut.jpg

beautifully-colored-fox.jpg

Rouge-13-Nanaki.jpg

6392329351_f197f9a9fe_b.jpg

1732001149_8fb914f0e1.jpg

cheetah-portrait-Botswana.jpg

tiger_portrait_7_by_norbi2010-d3iuql6.jpg

alert-timber-wolf-portrait-9222928.jpg

15549540403_85915c3c36_b.jpg

3ab29acd9940f621dc84f0e1f3d14a63.jpg

o-LION11-900.jpg

juvenile.jpg

lion-cub-cute.jpg

17157696991_c81d572e62_b.jpg

lynx-canadensis-a-18681.jpg

1325876899_DSC_756.jpg

cheryl-ertelt-canada-lynx-face-lynx-canadensis-north-america.jpg

latest

latest

latest

From the comparisons, I'd say Nanaki shares the most features with lions. While his muzzle is longer than that of the cougar and tiger, it's also broader than that of most canines. Lions have a long but broad muzzle that best matches Nanaki's proportions. Additionally, Nanaki's nose is distinctly feline.

Nanaki lacks the bushy tail seen in canines, instead having a long tail that ends in a flame in much the same way as a lion's tail ends with a tuft of fur. You'll notice he has tufts of longer fur on his cheeks, a trait even more prominent on the artwork of Seto. While wolves also have longer fur there, it's most pronounced among tigers and lynxes.

The incomplete mane of a juvenile lion is much like Nanaki's mane. On top of that, Deneh's lack of mane and lighter coloration corresponds to the sexual dimorphism among lions. Additionally, the fur length and coloration found in Nanaki's species better corresponds to Cougars and lions than it does to the few canines with reddish colours. Even though Nanaki is stylized, it's amazing how many traits you can identify. There are more comparisons to make but I figure I've listed enough to make my point.

For the record my comment about dogs vs. cats has nothing to do with how I view Red XIII, I had no idea this was a point of contention XD. I just think dogs are better because they cry when you die instead of start eating you.

There is nothing heartless about an animal eating the corpse of someone they know for food. Different species don't express things the same way and will have different notions of what is considered acceptable behaviour in particular contexts. If a pet's owner dies and the corpse is their only source of food, they don't have any reason to think it's wrong to eat it even if they grieve the loss of that person.

It's hard to find quality videos on the subject but I found these:

About cats and their attachement to people

Brief explanation of how cats show they like you

Basic explanation of commonly misunderstood cat behaviours

The part about spraying in particular is a bit simplified but I understand why they wouldn't go into detail explaining the various factors that can lead to it.

Japan's cat island

There's also a bunny island, a park full of deer and a village full of foxes. I really like that side of Japan.

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
What are you guys talking about. Red XIII is clearly
red_xiii_version_2_by_beetlecat.jpg

Anyway, seriously debating whether Red XIII is a dog or a cat doesn't really matter much as he is neither, he's from a different species than both. :monster:

He has a lot of feline traits, but some canine traits as well, and overall his body can't be attributed to one or the other.
7ac-red-2.jpg

red-xiii-advent-children-source.jpg

ffviiac-red.jpg

Red-XIII.png
final-fantasy-advent-children-play-arts-kai-red-xiii-5-5-action-figure-series-02-square-enix-9.jpg
61zj05DaONL._SY355_.jpg

Just showing these because they're more realistic than the drawings of him. :monster:

TL;DR Red XIII is neither cat or dog but his own species. Where was I going with this?

Lex

Administrator
To this day I still want that Play Arts figure of him, but it's ridiculously expensive. I don't care even a little bit about the Play Arts stuff but that one I want to own.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
When you think about it, the shift from feline to canine features when comparing the OG and ACC is like a subtle retcon, which kinda bugs me considering all the consistency issues I've had to put the effort to reconcile regarding the compilation. The thing is, it's obvious the remake is going with the original artwork for everyone's designs, even though they tweaked Barret a bit. With how faithful everyone looks, it's more likely Nanaki's going to go back to properly feline than keep the more canine traits they gave him in ACC.

He may be a non-existent species but that doesn't change that his design is inspired by real animals. Also, discussion about fictional works wouldn't get anywhere if everything was simply excused as being the way it is because it's fiction and that's no fun at all. One more thing; now that you've brought my attention to his ACC design in this context, I find there's something odd about the proportions of his paws. The digits look too long, especially in the hind paws. It's weird and I hope they respect proper anatomy when redesigning him this time.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yes, obviously, he is neither a cat nor a dog. But I'm always surprised that people default to calling him a dog when his feline features are so much more pronounced than his canine ones. (And the response to "cats don't howl" with "dogs don't roar" was a great one, Starling :monster:)

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Episode 10 the season finale is up early on Youtube now! Great season finale, shame we'll have to wait until most likely next fall for the next season.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Not to be forgotten, here is Renegamer's FFVII Advent Children Abridged "trailer":

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Renegamers just posted the first part of their FFVII Advent Children Abridged work.

And for posterity's sake here is TeamFourStar's full Season 1 of their FFVII Machinabridged series.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Figured I make some updates to this thread.

So the Renegamers abriding group recently just posted a new video

Basically the second part of Advent Children Abridged is out but since copyright strikes are constantly getting them removed from their YT channel they are just posting Google Drive hyperlinks to them. Here are the links from the video description:

Original Part 1 Hyperlink:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbCYhlgMEzdcHNseE5BaEljVzg/view

New Part 2 Hyperlink:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbCYhlgMEzdMXBPT25qWUtqZEU/view

As for the status of TeamFourStar's FFVII Machinabridged Season 2, the most recent updates on that project came from Lanipator during their DBZ Abridged Episode 59 Premier Twitch Stream on June 23, where he said it was currently in production and should be coming out this Fall.
Link to archived stream video (Lani answers the question starting around the 00:47:38 time stamp):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153941130

Furthermore, Cliff “AinTunez” Weinstein, the individual in charge of Music Production for the project commented in the TeamFourStar subreddit in late July, saying that "It is quite literally in the works.".
Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/TeamFourSt...fantasy_vii_machinabridged/dkujmwm/?context=3

So hopefully the next season will come out by September or October this year.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
The Season 2 trailer for Team Four Star’s FFVII Machinabridged series just dropped and the new season is going to premier this coming October 27.

Also some neat bit of trivia, TFS Cloud is voices by Justin Briner, who also voices Deku in the English Dub of My Hero Academia.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Second episode of Season 2 is out! Still can’t believe their Aerith has the same voice actresses as 2B from Nier.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I loved the trippy version of Cosmo Canyon. Great stuff.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Episode 18 is out now. Looks like Episode 19 will be the Cosmo Canyon Episode and Episode 20/season finale will be the Nibelheim and recruiting Vincent Episode (since Vincent was shown in the Season 2 trailer).

Having watched almost nothing of this abridged series before, I just binged what is available. Holy shit that was glorious!

Top Bottom