FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
They can't go from Aerith obliterating an asteriod hurled at Cloud's head and proceed to say "yeah, so what. screw him" to Cloud saying he's tough as they take Sephiroth on mano a mano to quiet awe at the sight of the slain Midgardzolom being slain or Cloud trying to convey his strength with the cool story about fight a dragon. They are well past that now.
They’ve been well past that looooong before Remake though, most of the audience already knows Sephiroth is a tough cookie from the OG/Compilation and appearances outside of them. I could make the same point about the Dragon or Midgar Zolom moments not having the same impact in the remake because in the OG we already saw Sephiroth destroy the solar system.

It’s another example of the devs wanting to evoke more out of the audience than just “wow, this is just like that thing from way back in ‘97 but in HD.” If that’s all people wanted, then I’m sure we’ll still get to see those iconic moments anyways. Will they have the same impact? No, but they weren’t going to because we saw it already. All we could feel from there would be an extension of what we already felt.

Clearly that wasn’t enough for the devs, as I’m sure they’re more than happy to tell people to just keep playing the OG. I would have no reason to be afraid of Sephiroth because I already know his fate from the OG, but now he poses an existential threat in a way that none of us could have foreseen. Now that’s something I haven’t felt since the OG.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
They’ve been well past that looooong before Remake though, most of the audience already knows Sephiroth is a tough cookie from the OG/Compilation and appearances outside of them. I could make the same point about the Dragon or Midgar Zolom moments not having the same impact in the remake because in the OG we already saw Sephiroth destroy the solar system.

It’s another example of the devs wanting to evoke more out of the audience than just “wow, this is just like that thing from way back in ‘97 but in HD.” If that’s all people wanted, then I’m sure we’ll still get to see those iconic moments anyways. Will they have the same impact? No, but they weren’t going to because we saw it already. All we could feel from there would be an extension of what we already felt.

Clearly that wasn’t enough for the devs, as I’m sure they’re more than happy to tell people to just keep playing the OG. I would have no reason to be afraid of Sephiroth because I already know his fate from the OG, but now he poses an existential threat in a way that none of us could have foreseen. Now that’s something I haven’t felt since the OG.

I'm talking about the characters in the game, not the players. Sephiroth didn't leave the Midgardsormr impaled to impress us. Cloud wasn't trying to inform us of Sephiroth's strength. Aerith, Barret and Red XIII had yet to see Sephiroth do anything in the original game. The Midgardsormr has changed from their impressive introduction to his strength to a meagre follow up to more impressive feats from their previous encounter that were already found wanting.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I'm talking about the characters in the game, not the players. Sephiroth didn't leave the Midgardsormr impaled to impress us. Cloud wasn't trying to inform us of Sephiroth's strength. Aerith, Barret and Red XIII had yet to see Sephiroth do anything in the original game. The Midgardsormr has changed from their impressive introduction to his strength to a meagre follow up to more impressive feats from their previous encounter that were already found wanting.

I see where you're coming from. That doesn't mean the characters won't get that midgardsormr type of feeling in Rebirth though. As of yet, we don't know because we haven't been with them outside of Midgar

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?
They can't go from Aerith obliterating an asteriod hurled at Cloud's head and proceed to say "yeah, so what. screw him" to Cloud saying he's tough as they take Sephiroth on mano a mano to quiet awe at the sight of the slain Midgardzolom being slain or Cloud trying to convey his strength with the cool story about fight a dragon. They are well past that now.

Well, I don't expect them to walk out of Midgar being all badass awesome with it being multipart. I expect a gameplay reset and it escalate again, which I can suspend my disbelief over because its multipart. My concern is where it goes; can they match or exceed that?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

lol they can and they will. :monster:

Because all they'll have to do is scale the Midgarsormr to the size of it's counterpart in XIV. It won't just be a snake. it'll be a wyrm. It's going to get a glow up.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

Because all they'll have to do is scale the Midgarsormr to the size of it's counterpart in XIV. It won't just be a snake. it'll be a wyrm. It's going to get a glow up.

Try Bahamut from FFXIV, moon and all. They don't know what a Black Materia is, they just have a pretty good idea that Sephiroth is gonna hurl a meteor at the Planet. And they were still "so what". Anything that just lives a swamp is gonna need a pretty damn good glow up indeed.

Fiz

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Eh?

This is true.

Sephiroth isn't technically the most powerful thing in OG FF7... the greatest threat and most powerful don't have to be mutually exclusive. Some of the optional weapon battles are much harder to defeat than Sephiroth, leading them to being technically more powerful than him. But, they aren't really a threat because they just hang around being things you don't want to mess with.

So Midgarsormr could be similar; something immensely powerful but not as dangerous. They could play some stuff like that.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash

There's 3 things in life I'm scared of, and snakes are definitely one of them.

The other two are spiders and the IRS.

grooveorganic

Lv. 25 Adventurer
That's why I feel 99% certain that to Cloud, Zack was the infantryman Cloud was. Really think they're going all in on Cloud thinking he's Zack.

Which is so fucking ironic. Because that's been a huge misconception in FFVII fandom... That Cloud's false persona was some 1:1 copy of Zack.

Apparently that's... Going to need to be amended now. For the Remake, at least.

I almost can't believe we're on the same page about this. LOL! This would actually be an amazing way to keep the original story about Cloud's false persona but make it fresh and amplified. Now I can see the conflict of Cloud and Zack being with Cloud questioning when Zack became SOLDIER 1st.

This reminds me. The other day we were comparing og shots to CC shots about where Cloud was standing during Nibelheim events. There's 3 infantrymen, one of which is Cloud, Zack, and Sephiroth. In the og, once all is revealed, it really seems like Cloud's just completely erased Zack from all recollection, so Zack straight up doesn't even exist to him, but now, as you pointed out, it's like Cloud has remembered Zack and pretty much swapped himself with Zack's positions in all events. Even these?;

1655763953541.png
1655764298628.png

What if they play up Cloud's delusion that far back. Because Sephiroth did trip him up by making him wonder when he even joined SOLDIER to start with. If Cloud's false memories are that entrenched is Zack's memories... Bruh!! This is about to be a wile fucking ride!

Also, Aerith asks specifically about friends in SOLDIER to Cloud, right? If Cloud thinks he's Zack, he had no other SOLDIER friends. But he did have a friend who was run of the mill infantry.

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I dunno if we can seperate what those characters are feeling from what the player is meant to feel in that moment though. Presumably, the player would also be getting an introduction to Sephiroth’s strength but that wouldn’t have been the case anymore no matter which direction the remake took. I get the sense that for the remake, the devs really wanted us as the audience to be so much closer to where the characters are mentally than we would have been if we were simply checking each beat and plot point off of a checklist.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I'm hoping the chapter with the Midgarsormr is like a stealth sequence where you're sneaking through the marsh trying to avoid attracting its attention while going around hunting Chocobos. If it spots you it's instant game over. That way when you get to the end and find it dead, you know you're up against a real threat.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
It's been awhile since I've played x-2 and lightning returns. How did Yuna and lightning carry over from their previous games? Neither were OP at the start of the sequels, were they? Shit, even Cloud in AC. He went from destroying the God like Sephiroth, to struggling with 3 remnants?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Naw, it's going to be a superboss.

Which will essentially accomplish the same thing. Rebirth needs superbosses equivalent for it's part of the trilogy :monster:

I wouldn't mind that. Especially since the way Sephiroth was portrayed in OG, is not what we got in remake. We could get a midgardsormr type moment in Rebirth, but we don't need the exact moment

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Machinabridged's version of events with the Zolom is the best version of events.

The original game just says miners stopped working in Mythril Mines when monsters started appearing in the mines. Also the Midgar Zolom detects footsteps and attacks anyone who can't outrun it (so you need a chocobo).

In the more logical version of events, the miners stopped visiting the mine because the normally tame Midgar Zolom started attacking people who cross the marshes. The party has a tough time crossing the marshes and escaping the Zolom, only to discover a larger dead Zolom once they reach the other side. The party deduce it's the other Zolom's mate which is why it started being aggressive.

And then the one the party escaped from can be a superboss later.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's been awhile since I've played x-2 and lightning returns. How did Yuna and lightning carry over from their previous games? Neither were OP at the start of the sequels, were they? Shit, even Cloud in AC. He went from destroying the God like Sephiroth, to struggling with 3 remnants?

To be fair, Cloud had the equivalent of terminal cancer and was trying to fight 3 SOLDIER 1-C level ghost people at once while he was depressed. :monster:

Lightning was a damn goddess who fought an immortal for close to century nonstop and guess what? She could still get killed by a wolf if you let her. :awesome:

Games are fun!

OWA-2

Pro Adventurer
I have a very crazy theory..... The Temple of the Ancients has some connections to time, right? With the time well, the giant clock, and all that. So it probably has some connection with the Whispers too. BUT it is also the Black Materia(or it turns into the Black Materia). So.......... What if, in the remake, Meteor is not actually a meteor, but an alternate Gaia. Both Gaias/timelines(Biggle and Terrier) are slowly approaching in a colision course, and Cloud has to decide which one is destroyed at the end, in the Edge of Creation.

And yeah, I know the Temple/Materia was created much before the events of the game, but they could explain that with more time shenanigans.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I have a very crazy theory..... The Temple of the Ancients has some connections to time, right? With the time well, the giant clock, and all that. So it probably has some connection with the Whispers too. BUT it is also the Black Materia(or it turns into the Black Materia). So.......... What if, in the remake, Meteor is not actually a meteor, but an alternate Gaia. Both Gaias/timelines(Biggle and Terrier) are slowly approaching in a colision course, and Cloud has to decide which one is destroyed at the end, in the Edge of Creation.

And yeah, I know the Temple/Materia was created much before the events of the game, but they could explain that with more time shenanigans.
In the original game, I always thought of Meteor as Jenova on steroids (especially considering the manner in which Jenova crash landed on the planet to begin with).

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Hi folks,

It looks like I have a history of being out on a trip when remake announcements are made, and I'm a week late for boarding on the hype train! In fact, I personally had kept my expectations very low regarding the 25th anniversary announcement - thinking 'nah, they're just going to release one concept art and a half as well as some merch' - so I'm happy to have been wrong. One other thing I was wrong about was that "trilogy" break-down, I always thought it would go into 4 parts. Given the hints glimpsed from the trailer, and given the announcement of the trilogy break-down, I'd believe this will go to the Northern Crater (since I have just mentioned that I had been wrong on a few things, I'm not sure my opinion hold much substance!), because this concludes most of the topics hinted at during the trailer (Sephiroth's endgame, Cloud's state of mind and broken memories, the confrontation to Tifa's side of the story).
Still, for any trilogy break-down, the implication is that the next installment should have a HUGE scope - such that many people believe some original content will have to be left out. However, the effort SE has made for Remake was rather on expanding the details, not leaving things out. If we're to believe that their new work structure allows them to have considerable productivity, then one would hope that SE has given themselves the means to deliver on that HUGE scope. So I'm rather optimistic about this. Of course, there's also the matter of how much they'll deviate from the original script.
Let us continue on the Unknown Journey (to the release) ...
On that note, that may be the last trailer I'm watching for Rebirth. Media blackout FTW!

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Wish I had the willpower to do a media blackout. Godspeed Mayo Master. See you on the other side.

Given the hints glimpsed from the trailer, and given the announcement of the trilogy break-down, I'd believe this will go to the Northern Crater (since I have just mentioned that I had been wrong on a few things, I'm not sure my opinion hold much substance!), because this concludes most of the topics hinted at during the trailer (Sephiroth's endgame, Cloud's state of mind and broken memories, the confrontation to Tifa's side of the story).

That's a good point. I would hope a game with a reveal trailer asking "What will become of the planet" and "What is Sephiroth's endgame" will actually answer those questions. Then to show footage of both Meteorfall and Aerith at the altar... Again it creates the expectation that those things will be addressed. I may have to change my vote in the other topic.

Reactions: Fiz

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I mean, considering we see flashes of Meteor and Jenova with those questions, I'm pretty positive we will see answers to those questions because they are key points in the plot of FFVII.

The Black Materia and Reunion, respectively.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Considering that Rebirth is coming out next year and Remake came out two years ago, if Square Enix manage to keep up the three year gap, I'd say the final part would be out in 2026 if we're lucky.

Top Bottom