FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
One part I can’t reconcile (and apologies, I've mentioned this elsewhere)..

In Advent Children, the entire party wears pink ribbons in remembrance of Aerith.

In Rebirth, the new synergy mechanic was created to highlight the bonds between the characters and their growth throughout the story. This has been stated in multiple recent interviews by Hamaguchi.

So it feels a bit contradictory to me to have Vincent and Cid be AI-controlled guests who may or may not even travel with the party throughout Rebirth. I find it mighty suspicious.

As a massive fan of Remake’s battle system, it’s especially saddening that I may never have Cloud, Aerith, and Vincent together in a playable party. My favorite characters. This is, of course, possible in the original game.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Just curious what you're suggesting here, are you saying that maybe Zack will be talking to Kyrie or Elmyra but they won't acknowledge him or really respond directly to anything he is saying?

If AC and Lifestream: White/Black are any indication, I'm saying only some people would acknowledge him. It'd be similar to AC.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
They aren't in the lifestream. In AC, we saw Aerith and Zack amongst those in the church at the end of the movie. Was everyone else in the Lifestream with them?
We see Zack talking to Kyrie and Elmyra in the trailer. That "the world is ending, or that's what they say" is her saying that to him. Is he manafesting as a ghost? Technically that's a thing in FFVII lol.

What do you mean get amnesia? We've only seen bits and pieces of him after he supposedly survived that battle. There's still a lot of context missing
We've seen enough to know in Remake he thinks he lived at the very least, whereas we very much saw him know he died in CC. It's not compatible.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
If AC and Lifestream: White/Black are any indication, I'm saying only some people would acknowledge him. It'd be similar to AC.

I'm not as familiar with this aspect of AC but what would the criteria be for some people to acknowledge him over others?

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
If Zack is dead, they should use him like Swayze in Ghost, imo.

Him being in the Lifestream isn't quarantining him though. It's actually the opposite. It's still keeping to the lore of ff7 while using him in a way that wasn't done in ff7. If he helps in the final battle in the way I think, he'd still be "crossing over" into the main timeline. It'd be similar to how he and Aerith helped in AC.

Aaah, to be honest I haven't seen ACC properly, my main memory is AC, where I don't recall Zack showing up at all until the very last scene. I'll have to sit down with ACC...

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
We see Zack talking to Kyrie and Elmyra in the trailer. That "the world is ending, or that's what they say" is her saying that to him. Is he manafesting as a ghost?

I just watched that part again. It doesn't even look like she's talking to him. Sure, her voice is playing during that moment, but they aren't even acknowledging each other. You're assuming she's saying that to him. Right after that, Aerith says something about not liking the sky, was she also talking to Zack?

I'm not as familiar with this aspect of AC but what would the criteria be for some people to acknowledge him over others?

I'm not sure. I don't believe it was ever explained why Cloud could communicate with Aerith and Zack in AC.

If Zack is dead, they should use him like Swayze in Ghost, imo.

This is one example. There's also Ghost Dad and Beetlejuice (which is the example I've brought up in this forum on many occasions). Sort of Down to Earth as well. It's a Chris Rock movie from 2001.

Aaah, to be honest I haven't seen ACC properly, my main memory is AC, where I don't recall Zack showing up at all until the very last scene. I'll have to sit down with ACC...

If I remember right, it's the same as AC.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I just watched that part again. It doesn't even look like she's talking to him. Sure, her voice is playing during that moment, but they aren't even acknowledging each other. You're assuming she's saying that to him. Right after that, Aerith says something about not liking the sky, was she also talking to Zack?
This is why I can't take you guys seriously

He's standing at the exit to her house, she's behind him, just finished telling him about the scary rift in the sky, nobody else is around, and that's not acknowledging him?
1700200857815.png

Like, what are you even talking about man.

Do you think Kyrie thinks Cloud just floated over to her and fell onto her? What?
1700200939165.png

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
This is why I can't take you guys seriously

Chill dude. I'm not saying shit like that to you

He's standing at the exit to her house, she's behind him, just finished telling him about the scary rift in the sky, nobody else is around, and that's not acknowledging him?

Elmyra told him a story about the rift in the sky? At what point? I didn't hear any of that. All I heard was her say "the world is ending, at least, that's what everyone is saying."

At no point, were her lips moving while those words were being said. It's possible that scene was meant to mislead people. We know that to be an editing trick used for trailers.
Or maybe she can see Zack and she was actually talking to him. That would still fall under some people being able to see those who are dead. Just like Cloud could see Zack and Aerith in AC.

You didn't answer my question about Aerith though. Was she there talking to Zack as well?
Do you think Kyrie thinks Cloud just floated over to her and fell onto her? What?

Um, no. Maybe that scene is a false memory of Cloud's. I'm not sure. I'm curious why Zack is all dirty and beat up looking when he hands Cloud off to her, but he's not when he's supposedly talking with Elmyra

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Chill dude. I'm not saying shit like that to you
Look, I'm being gaslighted into thinking I was an idiot to think things were gonna be different, it's pretty frustrating.

Elmyra told him a story about the rift in the sky? At what point? I didn't hear any of that. All I heard was her say "the world is ending, at least, that's what everyone is saying."
While he's looking up at a terrifying rift in the sky. Context clues. Correlating sounds and visuals. That's why she said that.

At no point, were her lips moving while those words were being said. It's possible that scene was meant to mislead people. We know that to be an editing trick used for trailers.
Oh so now you think they're lying to you lol.

You didn't answer my question about Aerith though. Was she there talking to Zack as well?
She's dead or something. From the news report.

Um, no. Maybe that scene is a false memory of Cloud's. I'm not sure. I'm curious why Zack is all dirty and beat up looking when he hands Cloud off to her, but he's not when he's supposedly talking with Elmyra
Consider that he cleaned himself up at Elmyra's, which he is no leaving, and that the Kyrie scene happens before. We haven't seen enough to know. And now you're saying that Zack isn't in the lifestream, but is just a false memory?

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
New press release, with new screenshots and shit
I'm not posting them all so go check it out yourself :monster:
But anyway here's Kujata and Kalm

ff7rebirth_Kujata_png_jpgcopy.jpg

01_ff7rebirth_SS_1117_World_png_jpgcopy.jpg

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Love the look of Kalm. Edinburgh vibes, haha

Dynamic difficulty mode sounds interesting. Wonder how it compares to normal with regard to how easy and how hard it gets. I presume it mainly tweaks damage dealt and sustained? They'd have to be careful not to compromise the feeling of character progression, though.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Look, I'm being gaslighted into thinking I was an idiot to think things were gonna be different, it's pretty frustrating.

Technically, things are still different though.

but, when have I done that to you? Like, I get you're frustrated that others have, but not me. Prior to this interview, I was constantly being gaslit to think I was an idiot for not thinking this was a sequel. I'm not gonna take that out on you though. You've always been chill. I still remember posting with you and Jairus in the Jessie thread. Please don't lump me in with other people.

While he's looking up at a terrifying rift in the sky. Context clues. Correlating sounds and visuals. That's why she said that.

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying it's also possible she wasn't, for the reasons I gave. Like I said, her lips weren't even moving.

These two trailers we've seen have been very misleading with several scenes. You got the ones with Zack. Sephiroth saying he murdered "her" while slicing Tifa. The scene of our party members being hauled off on stretchers. Etc

Oh so now you think they're lying to you lol.

No, misleading for a trailer, which is very normal for companies to do. Like Mako brought up with X-2. I was around back then, and very much so remember that.

She's dead or something. From the news report.

But how? She was talking to Zack right after Elmyra was.

Consider that he cleaned himself up at Elmyra's, which he is no leaving, and that the Kyrie scene happens before

When does he go to Aerith's church then? He was also all cleaned up, and without Cloud. Did he dump Cloud with Kyrie again after leaving Elmyra? If so, how come Kyrie never mentioned meeting Cloud before? How come Elmyra never did either?

We haven't seen enough to know.

I agree. Which is why I have never once said Zack is for sure in the Lifestream/dead. That's just my leading possibility since it sticks closer to the lore of ff7.

And now you're saying that Zack isn't in the lifestream, but is just a false memory?

No, I'm saying that specific interaction with Kyrie could be a false memory. Or a hallucination brought forth by Sephiroth. Idk for sure.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
"What is wrong with all you people?... Why did any of you play this to begin with?"

"If you think an actual remake of FFVII is lame, what the hell were you even here for?"

I want to elaborate on my own viewpoint. Bear with me as I walk through a few examples. First and foremost, one of my favorite series: Evangelion.

Most people know by now that the Rebuild of Evangelion movies are "more than a remake" of the televised series. The story goes "off the rails", and many characters are given new endings. Personally, I find the third and forth movies to be some of the worst cinema I've ever had the misfortune of viewing. Upon hearing that, one might think "I bet you wish it stuck to the original plot!"

Nope. Despite being pure nonsense, the third and forth movies are at least more interesting than the first movie in the series, which follows the original series for about 99% of its runtime. It adds nothing to the greater conversation around Evangelion. It's boring.

I have another example. Word is getting out that Scott Pilgrim Takes Off is "more than a remake". Despite being a fan, I had no interest in watching the new series when it was first announced. But now that I know there's something new? My interest is piqued. I'm planning to sit down with Takes Off soon.

Lastly: Persona 3 Reload. I don't talk about it a lot here, but Persona 3 is my second favorite game of all time. Hugely formative. A real tastemaker. So one would reasonably assume that I'm hyped out of my mind for the upcoming remake...

Nah. I mean it looks good! I'm going to play it. But it doesn't excite me. For example, they've said in interviews that Strega, a group of secondary villains, will receive more screentime in Reload. Cool! But it's still going to be Persona 3 at the end of the day. I'm not dying to know about these new events.

Taken altogether, you should be able to guess where my mind is at regarding the Remake Project. Some folks want Rebirth to "go off the rails" so that Part 1's wild ending has payoff. I think that's totally valid, but that's not the only reason for me. I'm just not interested in retellings.

I invest in Final Fantasy VII for more than "the events". I invest in the series for its spirit. It's this intangible thing, but I know it when I feel it. "Ah, that's Final Fantasy VII". If I had to put it into words, I'd say "defiant" mixed with "anything goes". So for me, the events of the story could change dramatically and I'd still be invested. It would still be Final Fantasy VII.

Couple that with my indifference towards remakes, and yeah, it should be at least a little understandable why I personally, and perhaps others, was excited for the Remake Project to be "more than a remake".

Last edited:

Leafonthebreeze

Any/All
AKA
Leaf
Just chiming in on the interview drama to say, and sorry if this has been mentioned before, but wasn't that an English translation of an Italian article that was presumably translated from Japanese?

Is there a chance that some nuance was added/lost over 2 layers of translation?

I don't personally mind either way but people are feeling some kinda way about it so I thought I'd ask.

Top Bottom