FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH ANNOUNCED

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I think people are overthinking the whole sequel thing. While it (probably) does involve time traveling Sephiroth and Aerith and a Zack seemingly alive I don’t think it will change the larger story of Final Fantasy Vii. Then again I could be wrong and the devs are lying about it following the same axis as the original. Who knows.
I agree. The devs have referred to this whole thing as a remake project since it's announcement in 2015. Many fans are so convinced that it's actually a sequel instead, when the devs have never said as such

roku

Pro Adventurer
I agree. The devs have referred to this whole thing as a remake project since it's announcement in 2015. Many fans are so convinced that it's actually a sequel instead, when the devs have never said as such
Correct. I’m not saying there isn’t some timey wimey stuff involved (I agree that Sephiroth and Aerith at least have knowledge of future events) but at the same time I don’t think they will alter the main plot. Ultimately i think by the end of part 3 everyone will be at the same place they were at the end of the original.

Blue Dragonfly

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Dane
Correct. I’m not saying there isn’t some timey wimey stuff involved (I agree that Sephiroth and Aerith at least have knowledge of future events) but at the same time I don’t think they will alter the main plot. Ultimately i think by the end of part 3 everyone will be at the same place they were at the end of the original.
the main problem is, if seph and Arith already know, then what is the goal?
if they are just letting go everything the way they did n Original and has no impact on story , so why even bother?
i didnt see any sign of sephiroth to trying change the future. cutting Wispers is not counted. he is going the exactly same way he did in Orginal. and there is another thing , based n what we see in trailer. he cut Tifa again. if he knew , why didnt kill her there and then?
why he didnt killed cloud ? i mean , if you know someone gonna destroy your whole plans, and you are sephiroth :awesome: with a very long blade and power and enough sprit to kill,why let everything happen in same way? it is like you load you last save in game and do exactly your fetal mistakes.

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
Something interesting in the trailer is Sephiroth talking about Jenova "They say she's a monster...." etc.

In the OG game all the times we met Sephiroth before the Northern Crater was Jenova or Sephiroth controlling Jenova, such as on the cargo ship.

Why would Sephiroth talk about Jenova like this "They say she's a monster, that she can peer inside you, into the very depths of your soul. That she can become those you hate, those you fear and those you love"

It's like Seph is letting us know or even warning about what Jenova can do. In the OG game at the Whirlwind Maze Jenova transforms into Tifa to trick Red or Barret to give the Black Materia to mind controlled Cloud.

Why would Seph warn us that Jenova has the ability to trick us and create illusions like this? At the end of the trailer we hear Seph still trying to gaslight Cloud and Tifa but making Cloud doubt if the Tifa that's with him is actually her very similarly to the type of gaslighting that happens at the Whirlwind Maze, so what gives?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Well he might be saying it on the cargo ship, but remember trailers can be deceiving about that sort of thing. For all we know this dialogue could be in the Whirlwind Maze. But even if not, he told the party about Jenova's powers of illusion before the Tifa trick in the OG too and they still fell for it :P

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
Well he might be saying it on the cargo ship, but remember trailers can be deceiving about that sort of thing. For all we know this dialogue could be in the Whirlwind Maze. But even if not, he told the party about Jenova's powers of illusion before the Tifa trick in the OG too and they still fell for it :P

I'll have to go back and check because I don't remember Seph telling the party about that.

Edit: oh right "To change ones looks......that is the power of Jenova" etc

Then Seph saying this could be from the Whirlwind Maze like you suggested, and it could be in context of him continuing to gaslight them. Unless they change it so this stuff happens earlier than normal then that's more evidence ending at the WM imo.

It's just when he's saying this the background and lighting still looks kinda like the cargo ship but it's too much of a close up shot to tell for sure.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

For sure! I agree 100 percent. The timey wimey stuff was their way ensuring the compilation all tied into the remake from the beginning, not piecing it together later on.

the main problem is, if seph and Arith already know, then what is the goal?
if they are just letting go everything the way they did n Original and has no impact on story , so why even bother?

Remakes do stuff like this all the time though

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It's just when he's saying this the background and lighting still looks kinda like the cargo ship but it's too much of a close up shot to tell for sure.

It does, and clearly there's no reason to expect they won't move the dialogue around, or that characters won't spill the beans on things early *coughHojo*, just a reminder that they can pull fast ones with trailers :P

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Yeah, it definitely made me raise my eyebrows a bit. I might be cautiously optimistic, though, because so many elements were just so good.

But as I am fond of pointing out, for the most part the ending is actually the same. All of our primary characters, both good and bad guys, are where they should be for the story to basically continue on. The Zack thing certainly presents itself as an opportunity to gunk up the whole works, but I think it's more than possible they've long since thought of how they want to make that work.

So, you know. Let's wait and see.

Mr. Dolphin

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Yeah, it definitely made me raise my eyebrows a bit. I might be cautiously optimistic, though, because so many elements were just so good.

But as I am fond of pointing out, for the most part the ending is actually the same. All of our primary characters, both good and bad guys, are where they should be for the story to basically continue on. The Zack thing certainly presents itself as an opportunity to gunk up the whole works, but I think it's more than possible they've long since thought of how they want to make that work.

So, you know. Let's wait and see.

This is more or less where I landed on the ending. The devs have said multiple times that the major plot points of the original will remain in tact so I'm not really worried about that anymore. Personally, I think any massive deviation from the original is going to be the ending of part 3, which I think is where the Zack/Whisper-affected stuff will crossover. Since that's the new mystery of the remake series they'll want keep that going until the end, which is why I don't think it will alter the original plot until that point. By that time in the original story, the most emotionally satisfying plot points have already occurred anyway in my opinion so I'm kind of down for whatever.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Best Buy is now taking preorders for FF7 Rebirth, despite the lack of an announced release date.

Personally, I do not trust Best Buy with video game preorders because when I preordered Mortal Kombat 11 from them 3 years ago, they dropped the ball on delivering a Shao Kahn DLC code that was literally free for all who preordered. Upon browsing their Gaming Support forums, I discovered that dropping the ball on preorder DLC bonuses was a frequent occurrence with this particular retailer.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Interesting to me that the Ever Crisis launch trailer associates a white feather with young Sephiroth, before he learned the truth of his birth.

Where else have we seen a white feather before in this modern era of FFVII? Oh yeah.

Screenshot_20230831-122929.png

We also know Sephiroth uses a different pronoun for himself (in Japanese) during the Edge of Creation scene, specifically the pronoun he used before the Nibelheim Incident.

My immediate thought is that the feather in Rebirth's reveal trailer isn't meant to symbolize Angeal, which was speculated previously, but meant to symbolize the presence of this new Sephiroth. A Sephiroth who has mentally mellowed out to his pre-Nibelheim self.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I wonder what we're supposed to think those feathers are coming from in the Ever Crisis trailer in universe. Maybe the helicopter delivering Sephiroth hit a bird? :monster:

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Unravel a gripping narrative - Witness the personal journey of each party member and strengthen their bonds to work together and face off against powerful enemies.

This feels to me like a hint at some form of social link-style system that is necessary for unlocking dual techs. I certainly wouldn't be averse to this if that's the case, especially if it means unique interactions.

Blue Dragonfly

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
Dane
for your record friends, only Angeal had white wings. Genesis and sephiroth has Black wings. but, isnt the color of white use for innocence? maybe it is why they show his descend in EC . he is still innocent.
it always was wired for me why Genesis poses black wing.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Those feathers belong to the doves.

It's merely visual storytelling and thematic metaphor that the white feathers actually descend similarly to the black feathers which surround Sephiroth during FFVII and beyond.

Sephiroth is not a white winged angel here.

DeltaSynthesis

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Deltasyn
Those feathers belong to the doves.

It's merely visual storytelling and thematic metaphor that the white feathers actually descend similarly to the black feathers which surround Sephiroth during FFVII and beyond.

Sephiroth is not a white winged angel here.
The wings have meaning in symbolism. In this case, Sephiroth is "still pure". If you look at the other feathers, you can see they are turning black where the fuzzies are. This is like the inverse of the feather turning white in the last Rebirth trailer. That said, I have predicted the white feather shown in the first trailer is reborn Sephiroth after the whisper explosion several months ago. The symbolism here is that of a false saviour appearing as a force of good. That is the direction I believe they are going with Sephiroth and his back story coming out right now isn't a coincidence. The 'redemption arc' theories are already cropping up.

Manipulation and deception are is modus operandi so they can take this idea really far if they want to.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Target and Amazon US are taking preorders now as well, so it feels like we're getting something soon, although interestingly SE do not have the game listed as part of their exhibition at TGS (Ever Crisis is). Guessing a pre-TGS State of Play?

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
I'm hearing that people are holding off on pre-ordering until there's an announcement on collectors editions. I'm actually holding out until there's a final release date. I know Amazon's listing says December 31, 2024, which is obviously a placeholder date.

Top Bottom