FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Demo Out Now!

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Yeah, I'm sure there'll be quieter moments. And speaking of Cosmo Canyon later in the series, imagine getting up to the top where the observatory is, then turning around to see the whole desert laid out beyond and below you. That's gonna be quite a view, I'm sure.

I'm confused. Are you playing a different version of the demo @Lex? Are you speaking about some newly released press footage?

In my playthrough I didn't get that final Sephiroth flashback cutscene. I'm curious why.

Jairus

Oh, something I just noticed on my second run. The guys don't look at Cloud much when they're standing around and he walks/runs around them, but Jessie watches his every move - I tried it out while Biggs was working on the door, and while Barret and Wedge barely even glanced at Cloud when he was moving around them, Jessie was watching Cloud the whole time whenever I'd have him move from one side of her to the other. She's definitely got her eye on him, and that was a nice subtle way of showing it. Amazing attention to detail, not just in that but in the whole demo.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Omg. Omg. Omg!!! I’m downloading right now. 38 seconds left!!!! This is unreal I’m so excited. I used to have a really good friend I could share my excitement with, but we aren’t friends anymore. My brother and I don’t have communication and my girlfriend doesn’t care so I literally have no one to share my excitement with but you guys but omg!!!! It’s here!! And it’s done downloading! Bye!!!

Dee

sweet dee
AKA
Bun, Academic
I just played it and I really had a lot of fun even though I had watched in on YouTube when it leaked. It's definintely a little different experiencing it yourself, especially within the combat. I'm a little rusty since it took me a while to take down the sentinel, but overall the gameplay feels great, feels intuitive, and the battle system challenges you (despite it only being basic at the beginning. I read that it gets more complex, obviously, as you can add materia and summons). All in all, the characters felt really great, nostalgic, and fleshed out. Cloud is very much who I thought he would be as a more fleshed out protagonist. Barret is wonderful and over the top. He never felt ridiculous to me, even when he was shouting about Cloud's involvement. We don't get to see much in terms of Biggs and who he is, but Jesse and even Wedge feel like so much more. I made it through in about an hour and I can tell they've nailed it. Super psyched to get my hands on more.

Misterbadguy

Phantom Lord
AKA
METEODRIVE
Just finished my third clear. Love everything about it aside the targeting and camera, which can be a little bit funny sometimes. The combat has loads of potential but I can see it not clicking (or at least not right away) for some given how much it encourages switching characters quite regularly. Once you get used to doing that though it's great, very rhythmic.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
I was slightly worried about the challenge level when I first saw game play, but I'm not anymore. Being surrounded by enemies who are dodging and casting status effects while juggling around 3 different characters with all the abilities is going to get quite interesting me thinks.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Had to download it from my secondary account because over here demos rated ages 16 and higher are PS+ only for age verification reasons >.>
the japanese store restricts 18+/cero z games so they have to be bought with a credit card (can't use money in your wallet), even with ps+. some of the monthly games available elsewhere have to be bought separately for about 100 yen, and even demos that are cero z have to be paid for. i use prepaid cards since i don't have a card with a japanese address so i can't get any cero z digital stuff.

but can you not use prepaid cards to get a ps+ subscription? otherwise i don't see how that's very helpful at stopping people.

anyway i am pumped to try this out but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow before i can enjoy it in peace :sadpanda:

When I worked on the movie Carol
wait, the cate blanchett 2015 film carol??

this is the second most exciting news in this thread

Jairus

The FF community today when the FF7R public demo finally came out:

tenor.gif

I'm getting more used to the battle system now, but I have yet to challenge the boss a second time. Hopefully it'll go more smoothly than the first time. It's still kind of strange, realizing that the game is almost here and that we're actually playing a part of it. To quote Benny Russel/Benjamin Sisko from DS9:

"It's REAL!! It is REAL!!"

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I tried to give voices a fair shake, but my second playthrough I turned voices to 0 and just had subtitles. It was just so much more enjoyable for me. The music became the focus of the audio and I wasn’t distracted trying to match the performances to the lips. No shade on the VAs they are all doin amazing, but that’s how I’m gonna play.

There is barely a difference between camera 1 and 3 lolol. Definitely going on the mod list to make that go up to 11.

So many jaw-dropping moments for me during this demo. Even after the 3rd or 4th time through, when the door opens and you find yourself on the bridge in front of the reactor, where you can see Shinra HQ down the trench. It’s a dream come true.

Jairus

Finished my second run, and it did go better than the first one. Funnily enough, I had more trouble with the Shock Troopers than I did with the Scorpion Sentinel. The only KO I had this time came against the ST's in that last battle, they were all on him at once and it was hard to see what was going on with the way the camera was. But it all worked out. I also noticed that the drops from the crates seemed to be a bit randomized, since I didn't seem to get the same stuff on second run as I did on the first.

Oh, and Barret singing the victory fanfare was priceless!

"You wanna get shot? Be my guest." Epic smack talk from Cloud. Lovin' it!

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I like that new version of the game over theme :P

Had to intentionally lose that first fight to see :monster:

Ohhhh I gotta boot it back up. Sorry wife date night cancelled.

edit: I don’t know what it is but I’m never in any danger at all. Scorp never even grabs me, the fight is over in like half the time it takes the E3 presentation to do it. And it’s not like I’m so good or anything, I’m baked out of my tree and barely remember how to fill my ATB gauge. And yet, I’ve never even seen what half-health looks like. I use 1-2 potions per playthrough, I used an ether once...

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
played the demo, the gameplay has potential but has some problems:

Cloud

ATB limiting combo variety & Lack of offensive tools

Abilities being tied ATB and their huge cost (50% of your total bar) means you will generally doing the regular and limited Operator/Punisher mode combo string and then chain it with one ability (or two if you save it) and then go back to performing limited combo until it replenishes and repeat, this could be remedied if the cost was lower (like say 20%).
The two systems only have three combo variations, mashing, holding and holding during a mashing string, I feel the lack of combo modifiers like directional imputs will not allow the combat to carry the whole game. Magic also being tied to ATB is unnecesary and reduces your combo options because using either magic and abilities means you won't be able to use the other in the same combo, if the idea was balancing to prevent spamming, magic being tied to MP (which they are in the demo) should have sufficed.

Defensive tools

From an action perspective they are garbage, dodge rolling lacks i-frames and it was terrible, blocking attacks doesn't protect from chip damage (from both firegun attacks and melee). The game needs some type defensive move that protects you from damage when you use it and the game has the move potential move already available in the form of parry but unfortunately it doesn't protect from chip damage. Punisher mode has two types of parry, one from holding the block button which will trigger a parry move the moment and enemy meele attack hits and another comes from the first frames of animation when Cloud switches to Punisher mode, and like any other action game that has a parry mechanique and that requiere a certain minimum of skill, you should be rewarded by not taking damage when you time the come correctly at the last second. Ideally I would preffer a safe defense/parry that protects me from damage not being tied to just punisher mode and be an universal mechanique available on both modes. The only thing preventing it from making the defensive tools worthless is that dodge rolling is marginally usefull to cancel your combo strings (except for the finisher moves) and move you away from hazzards (although it should cover more distance) and blocking attacks gives you ATB.

Miscellaneous issues

Switching from Operator to Punisher is laggy because of the stance switch animation, and while that particular switch stance has a parry attribute during its first frames, it gets in the way and breaks the flow of combo when you're stunlocking enemies with your regular attack string (a situation where you wouldn't need to parry). However, switching from Punisher to Operator is more fluid because the later doesn't have a stance animation like the former (Punisher-Operator are tied by sword swing, unlike Operator-Punisher that's tied by a stance), and it should be changed to this.

I previously said that the defensive tools are marginally not worthless because of some of their utility, like blocking giving you ATB but here's the issue, the game should not be rewarding you from playing poorly (i.e: taking damage) it should reward you for playing well (i.e: perfectly parrying enemy attacks and avoiding damage).

--------

Overall it has potential and there's some good ideas but has issues preventing it from excelling in the action department. Most of what I said are applyable to Barret.

Top Bottom