FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Theme Song Trailer

Kratos

Pro Adventurer
Putting aside the content of the trailer (which has lots of goodies, but is really dense and lacks enough context that I hesitate to analyze it too much) -

I really quite like Hollow, and I think it's neat that this is essentially what Uematsu did for for the first couple FFXIV expansions - he composed a song and hand-picked a singer to perform it with lyrics by a lead writer. Those always turned out really nicely, so it's good to see the approach applied to another major release.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i've started watching the trailers on a tv so i had ended up waiting a couple of days and idk if it's the tv settings or the sound mixing on the trailer but i had trouble catching a fair bit of the dialogue, but it looked good. i am really interested in the jenova fight and the way it seems to take over the entire room, i liked the song, i'm hoping the honey bee inn scenes will ditch the 'cloud gets sexually assaulted as a joke' stuff and replace it with the 'perfection!' guy instead.

i feel like with a remake like this you have to do a balancing act promoting it between getting new people in and also appealing to old time fans. and for the latter showing you stuff like familiar events might work better than it would for new people

it worked on me, anyway. can't wait to see jenova's skull tiddies in the actual game.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Of note: I think that the dialogue clips have all sounded a slight bit "off" to me when they're used as voiceover for other parts of a trailer. I think that this is because there are some audio effects and other things that get applied to match environments where they're spoken that don't match / aren't present, and so they sound slightly disconnected.

For me, any time the dialogue has been ones that were used in the scenes they were showing, they've always worked really well. After having taken the other part of that in mind, I found that the dialogue snippits in the last trailer and also in this one don't feel NEARLY as off to me upon re-watching them.

X :neo:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I used to see buses with USB ports in the seats a bunch before but now I am carrying a cable with me and really need one I have not seen even one, what’s up with that

Edit; sorry I forgot what thread this was, delete this pls and release me from my shame

I guess on topic but are people getting the name ‘roche’ from data leaks or is that some promotional material I missed?

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
I used to see buses with USB ports in the seats a bunch before but now I am carrying a cable with me and really need one I have not seen even one, what’s up with that

Edit; sorry I forgot what thread this was, delete this pls and release me from my shame

I guess on topic but are people getting the name ‘roche’ from data leaks or is that some promotional material I missed?
https://square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-screenshots-info

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of the trailer voices, I personally really like the voices for teenage Tifa and Cloud. I usually think that those kinds of roles are cast to fit the age group first, and the character second. Because of this, most teenage versions of older characters sound like a teenager, and not that character as a teenager, which really bugs me.

For Cloud especially though, I think they thought about capturing the character first. Consequently, it really does sound a lot like main game Cloud, only way more awkward--which is a good thing. Teenage Cloud in the Remake sounds like the kind of person who gets regular voice cracks; it suits him perfectly.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of the trailer voices, I personally really like the voices for teenage Tifa and Cloud. I usually think that those kinds of roles are cast to fit the age group first, and the character second. Because of this, most teenage versions of older characters sound like a teenager, and not that character as a teenager, which really bugs me.

For Cloud especially though, I think they thought about capturing the character first. Consequently, it really does sound a lot like main game Cloud, only way more awkward--which is a good thing. Teenage Cloud in the Remake sounds like the kind of person who gets regular voice cracks; it suits him perfectly.

Yeah, it's one of the very few games where they actually get it right. Usually teenage characters sound like little kids or they don't even try and just use the same actor depending on what characters its supposed to be and can sometimes sound like Barry White at the age of 13.

I really hope so. And I hope he crops up in Costa del Sol wearing a speedo.
I love that they're all HoneyBees but he's got this spider vibe going. Do you dare venture into his sticky, sticky, web...?
(also, why can't they give Tseng a jaw like that?)

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
Hoping this be's da spot to remark on the most recent trailer (although a week old, I only got around to watching it now; the combination of my increasingly out-of-hand existence along with the degree of emotional investment even a trailer for this game involves for me caused a...delay. But I digress).

I'll just put this bluntly/sloppily, cos I'm not sure how else to articulate it...
I really, sincerely hope the feeling this recent trailer has evoked is largely due to the (IMO) poor music choices and mixing throughout, but...the voice acting, along with the editing and cuts...just sounds...terrible. Emotionally uninvested. All throughout, honestly. I 'spose a good example being exchange between Reeve and Heidegger: The Shinra board's panicked bleeding heart, and the once iconically demented 'Gya-ha-ha' Exec now sound like a lightly malfunctioning digital assistant, and 'Generically Sinister Flunkie No. 1', respectively. "Mister President...I-am as-king-you to re-con-sider" Reeve blurts in clipped robot inflection, before H-dog just roasts his earnestness by...pinching his nose, and adding the vaguely British inflection the West seems to expect from upper class villain. Guess the horse is gone.

It's almost 5 am in NY, this post is terribly written I realize, but this is the first major 'release' relating to this game that has caused me utter disappointment l, and I'm...trying to get a bead on it, I reckon.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
If you had said the final Aerith clip I would have been all with you, since that is definitely very poorly lifted from it's original position and sloppily inserted into the trailer. It sounds altered as well, perhaps even some effect applied to it. But that Shinra segment? Uh uh. I absolutely loved Reeves inflection and dialogue there, as you can almost see the wheels turning in his head as he tries to call forth the right inflection and tone to use with the President - one that can get his point across without pushing the Pres. I personally think the voice acting was great there, and went exceptionally well with the toss of his head as he tries to up his tone / pressure to the President. And the Heideggar's remark / voice-acting was gold.

So yeah, disagree with that, but there was definitely something off with the Aerith dialogue segment.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
@LicoriceAllsorts: Ooooh yeah! Totally forgot about that one. Something of an odd translation, but gold. Kind of wondering if his/Scarlet's demeanors are going to seem more distinct between the 2 presidents.
@Claymore: Firstly, you make a good case for the reasoning behind the respective deliveries in the sequence I highlighted (altho I personally maintain that Reeve sounds like someone TRYING to sound flustered than actually being so). And secondly, I was both fairly intoxicated at time of my initial post, as well as having just freshly viewed the trailer, maybe twice. So for both reasons, I'll need to give it another go in a bit to see if my observations still ring true to me, or whether they soften in absence of belligerent 5am-drunkenness (whilst coming, oddly enough, from onea those 'let's get the ol' gang together' social gatherings that saw me reuniting with many of the people I played this game alongside back around the turn of the century...)
EDIT: And whoever moved my post, thanks! Sorry about that y'all

Heidegger is a vulgar lout.
In my headcanon all the Shinra execs have clawed their way up in the world from impoverished beginnings. President Shinra prefers his executives to owe everything they have and are to him. Palmer's the only exception. In my headcanon, he comes from landed gentry (hence, a higher social class than the Shinras) and is Rufus's first cousin once removed on Rufus's mother's side. For some reason, I have a whole slew of headcanons about Palmer and his family.

Top Bottom