• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy VIII General Discussion

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Gnasty Gnorg.

The only thing I really remember about him is that hidden village you can find of his fellow tribe. Although I seem to remember it being pretty pointless, except for an Ultima Draw.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
Here's something I always wish they had a little more info on: That blue shimmery patch on the centra continent that you can draw demi from I mean I assume it's something left over from the previous lunar cry but it always was something I was curious about like it would have been cool if there'd been just a small bit of dialogue when you find it or something because it's so unusual looking in the continent.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Hrm I didn't know yet the raids were going to be FFVIII related, I are intrigued :monster:

@ Ite, it's likely going to take you a long time to get to that point in the story I'm afraid. Unless you pay an X amount of extra monies that allows you to skip a chunk of the game.

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
There's an Unlisted Youtube video (Japanese text) of VIII original and Remastered comparisons floating around, such as on the FF Reddit, last I looked. I'm definitely sad how smudged the backgrounds for Remastered look, but I couldn't help myself preorder the damn thing (I never preorder games) the other day to support one of my favorite FFs. Plus, the PS4 theme is really nice IMO, so win-win:D

I hope the rumors of potential Japanese/English audio is still true, because that'd be a fun as heck addition (love everybody's voices in NT and Opera Omnia), but even if not, no big deal. It'll just be nice to really take my time in a new playthrough and enjoy the Garden's atmosphere instead of focusing just on the great story.

SailorStarDust

Kept you waiting, huh?
AKA
SSD
Though the audio rumors weren't true (booo), I'm honestly having a blast slowly replaying the game. I'm not one for cheat-y aspects, but the 3X Speed in battle or walking around the World Map is incredibly helpful!

Lovin' that Squinoa PS4 Theme:hearteyes:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I wanna point out a major bug. During the Balamb vs Galbadia fight, if you saved at any point before that there's a high chance that your music will change to the midi version of "The Landing" I had to play most of that section on mute since one of my fav songs wasn't to my liking.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
Alright, having gotten the plat, I can definitely say that the PS1 version is the superior version of the game.

Pros

Updated models for characters and enemies.

Cons

Delayed/Lingering sound effects, sudden battle transitions, and menu lag. I was fighting the final boss and after a certain phase, the music is supposed to fade out and go into the last phase and here it just snapped to the final bit by suddenly cutting the music. Another one is, the death sound effects for certain monsters(Ultima Weapon) linger and play during the victory animation.

Botched music at times, already discussed the midi nonsense.

Movement isn't as good as the PS1 version, I sometimes have to struggle to get Squall moving in a certain direction.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Yeah I held out on getting this because I figured it's gonna have a bunch of small annoyances that are not game-breaking in any way but are still gonna bother me to no end.
Watched Ami's stream a few days ago and literally the pre-title screen credits already fucks up the sync between the credits and the music.
Things like that bother me more than game-breaking bugs in a way because at least game-breaking bugs are most likely gonna be fixed because they don't have a choice if it's significant enough whereas it's these little things that kinda mess up the presentation of the original here and there but that are too insignificant to actually be corrected so you'll just have to live with it. :closedmonster:

FFVII PS4 port still has that music bug. Ugh.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
For a better understanding of what I mean, here's some vids I made.

At 3:09, check out the "absorbed into time" seizure inducing light

At 8:50, the transformation sound plays twice.

At 12:42, they screwed up the best bits of "The Extreme" and at 18:30, it just cuts to her dying.

I've also noticed the changed sound effects for certain abilities(Doomtrain, Odin, Ifrit).

Skip to Ultima dying(5:50) and listen

Top Bottom