Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

JechtShotMK9

The Sublimely Magnificent One
AKA
Kamiccolo9
I'm just happy they said "The Reigns of History, back in the Hands of Man."

Trailer needed more of Cid talking to himself, though.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Wasn't able to tune in for the livestream, but here are some key gameplay changes.

NeoGAF user “Rad-” has translated some of the main highlights from the live show, particularly the key gameplay changes made for the HD remaster. View them below:

Licenses are “shared” meaning if players unlock one license for party members in their respective first Job License Board, they will have the same license unlocked in their respective second Job License Board. For example, if players chooses two jobs (for one party member) with both having 16 Battle Lore augments, that party member will only have 16 in total (not 32). This also means that with some license unlocks in the first Job License Board, you can jump to the second Job License Board’s “License Islands” without spending a Quickening/Summon (30LP) to get there.
Multiple party members can select the same job class. For example, players can have all party members assigned with the “Black Mage” class.
Magic queues will not make a return to Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/04/heres-35-glorious-minutes-final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age/

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Two new short videos:

I think Streets of Rabanastre is the only piece of music I've heard from the remastered soundtrack so far which sounds inferior to the original. Then again, the original is so good that it would be hard to improve on it.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
In case y'all haven't seen the new artwork yet:

FinalFantasyXII.jpg

I love Balthier and Fran, but really... Ashe should be in the forefront of this picture. She's the closest thing to a main character the game has.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
perhaps there will be more artwork, in which case they might pair up characters like they have done in past artwork (fran and bal, ashe and basch, vaan and panelo)

Lex

Administrator
Balthier would disagree with you :monster:

Meh.

I love him as a character, but as the years have gone by I'm starting to think he's becoming overrated. I'm more of a Basch girl myself. :monster:

Preach

Tbh I've always liked Balthier (in a "he doesn't offend me" way) but thought he was overrated from the very beginning.

That said I love the artwork and don't have a problem with Fran and Balthier being featured. I've always found Ashe a bit boring so we differ there :P

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Don't get me wrong; I love the artwork and all. I just feel like Ashe should be featured more prominently in some of it. She has more of a place in the plot.

Fangu

Great Old One
Well, 'tis my firm belief that western audiences loved Balthier because he was 1) the only character to have a western motion actor and 2) the character whose lines were the most rewritten in the localisation process to suit western players.

Sign me up for Basch as well.

(And yes, I've written more fic featuring Balthier than Basch, but that was mostly due to the Fran/ Balthier dynamics. Basch was always more intriguing to write because he seems to be written only one or two ways in fics, so it was very easy to start from scratch to come up with different personalities/ weaknesses/ motives for him.)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I get the point about his dialogue being localized to appeal to westerners, but I don't think I get where you're coming from with his motion capture. I either forgot that or, more likely, only just learned it from reading your post, and I like to think I generally know more about FF than your average FF fan. I can't see that having influenced most anyone.

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh it's definitely true. And I've talked about it before. Maybe not here, though.

Also, yeah, what does body language have to do with anything :monster:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I've just always though Balthier and Basch were both hot and I'd take them both :monster: I never knew Balthier was supposed to appeal to more westerners :closedmonster:

Anyways it's awesome artwork, I really love it, also Fran <3 And I'm very laid back so I'm just not picky who's featured :wacky: (but I would love to see something where the other four feature prominently too)

Fangu

Great Old One
I never knew Balthier was supposed to appeal to more westerners :closedmonster:
I'm not sure why they chose a western motion capture actor for him, maybe to give him a flavour of something different, idk, make him cooler or whatnot. I don't think they had the western market in mind when setting up his character. Maybe. But I'm very sure they made very specific choices when changing intentions and style in his dialogue when localising his dialogue, specifically to appeal to the western market. Basically they gave him more attitude, more 'I give no shits'. Just small changes that, when you look into it, start to show a slightly different character than the original. I mean he still goes on about that Leading Man stuff, but he doesn't say things like "I don't have time for this" and "I like it better that way" (in reply to Fran's "the gods do not smile upon us".) It's actually "what is happening" and "she (the goddess) certainly can be treacherous." (Thanks again for the translations Tres!)

I mean, people will read the (different) translations and see things differently, but it's my firm belief that they made these very specific things to his characters to build on that whole devil-may-care attitude.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Re:body language --
Sure, there could be something to that. I just thought you were suggesting the average western Balthier fan was aware of this piece of trivia and favored him because of it.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember anything of his body language that struck me as distinctly western, but maybe you have some examples since you've played the game more?

Fangu

Great Old One
Hmm. I'd have to do a bit of research to come up with good comparisons. Hmm. Watching XII cutscenes for hours. Doesn't sound too bad <3

But before I have the time to do that - generally, there's more movement in his shoulders and hips. Like, micro movements. He's 'less stiff' if I can put it that way. Not that I'm saying Japanese people are stiff, but if you look at the body languages of the other 5, their movements are more determined, focused, ... honorable? When they stand still, they stand still, while Balthier seems to look more relaxed in his posture, somehow. He also makes more hand gestures. And if you take a look at how he runs vs how the other 5 runs, there's more movement in his shoulders and hips.

...yeah I'm gonna have to come up with examples don't I :P I feel like I'm starting to sound like a crazy woman...

Yeah yeah obvious smash ball give it your best :P

Fangu

Great Old One
Looks like they upgraded the graphics on the Licence Board a bit. Didn't notice that before.

Top Bottom