Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Yes they're made of wood.

No they're not currency.

As far as we know it gave us a ride to Draklor. That's all we know.

More questions?

Well, I mean it's a legitimate question, I think.

I know about chops (what they are, what they do), but I do wondered; is it like a wooden coin looking thing, or what?

The whole thing about chops, it's such a foreign concept to, well...any player (is there any real life society that has something similar) that I can't blame a player for pausing to stop and wonder WTF about it.

It's not a bad concept or anything, but it does seem like something they kinda 'tossed' in there to give you something to do in Archades.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
idk why but I always thought of them as like...chopsticks.

So you're just carrying a bunch of chopsticks around.

:huh:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Yeah I knew they were made of wood and that they were obviously worth a lot in Archades, but I did wonder what exactly they looked like. When I first played it, I had the mental image of just a rectangular, hand-sized block of wood, maybe with a hole at the top where you could put a string through it and connect it with others. :lol:
I like the idea in general though, idk, there's something fun about using wood as a form of rare currency.

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Now we're asking the real questions here.

But I always thought the chops were a type of paddle or plaque-like thing.

Fell behind in my playthrough last week because of work and poor time management. Finished the Stilshrine last night and went through it again today because I wanted more loot, and I didn't feel like progressing any farther when I couldn't play for more than an hour.

My job classes for every party member are turning out great. I can't remember if I stated it here or not, but so far my only regret is making Penny my black mage and Ashe my white mage. Wish I could switch, because reasons.

And I'm kinda kicking myself for not doing this when I started, but I started sticking post-its in my strategy guide last night with hints and tips I use during my playthroughs; what's best/easiest to chain in the area, how to spawn the rare game, etc. Wish I'd thought of it sooner.

Fangu

Great Old One
Oooooh now I see. I thought it was pretty obvious they're 'chops of pinewood', as in small sticks. It would kind of defeat the meaning if they were anything carved or special made.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Huh, just noticed a reference I hadn't been aware of before.

In Tactics War of the Lions, there is a Cardinal Delacroix. In FFXII, there is the Draklor Laboratory. Both of these actually have really similar names in katakana (ドラクロワ - ドラクロア : dorakurowa vs dorakuroa). This comparison is a little more apparent in the old Tactics where the Cardinal's name was localized as "Draclau." The FFwiki makes no mention of this, I wonder which, if either, they were actually going for in Japanese.

:monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I thought it was pretty obvious they're 'chops of pinewood', as in small sticks.

Was it obvious? I've never heard the word 'chop' used to mean 'sticks'. Is it a European thing? I thought they'd be wooden coins or something; doesn't the person who explains them to you have to clarify that they aren't currency?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Perhaps it's supposed to be this?

A seal, in an East Asian context, is a general name for printing stamps and impressions thereof which are used in lieu of signatures in personal documents, office paperwork, contracts, art, or any item requiring acknowledgement or authorship. China, Japan, Taiwan, and Korea currently use a mixture of seals and hand signatures, and increasingly, electronic signatures.[1] It is used to a lesser extent in Vietnam by authorised organisations and businesses, and also traditional Vietnamese artists. It was more common in Vietnam prior to French rule, when thereafter the practice of signature became a commonality, although western-like signatures are usually seen as having less authority in a company situation.[2]

Chinese seals are typically made of stone, sometimes of metals, wood, bamboo, plastic, or ivory, and are typically used with red ink or cinnabar paste (Chinese: 朱砂; pinyin: zhūshā). The word 印 ("yìn" in Mandarin, "in" in Japanese and Korean, pronounced the same) specifically refers to the imprint created by the seal, as well as appearing in combination with other ideographs in words related to any printing, as in the word "印刷", "printing", pronounced "yìnshuā" in Mandarin, "insatsu" in Japanese. The colloquial name chop, when referring to these kinds of seals, was adapted from the Hindi word chapa and from the Malay word cap[3] meaning stamp or rubber stamps.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Well, in the Japanese version chops seem to be called "リーフ". That says "Leaf". Pinewood Chop is ホワイトリーフ White Leaf.

Fangu

Great Old One
IYeah I was gonna say, let's look up the source material.

'White leaf', that's interesting. And with everything else translation related in this game, it would be awesome to know Mr. Smiths thoughts when deciding to go for 'Pinewood chop'.

(Also I have a feeling it's a contextual translation that needs more fleshing out. 'White leaf' might be a direct translation but might not be the most proper. It might even be related to Flint's stamps!)

And Mog, I think where my mind was going was 'chopped off'. :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
So they might be twigs from a particular tree :monster:

Question though, is the German translation done directly from Japanese, or reworked from the English one? (Pretty sure A. O. Smith and/or his team was consulting in the other Western versions though, but I really have no clue)

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
They're generally done from Japanese although I suspect the voiced dialogue is done from English since the subtitles have to match up with the cutscenes (they notoriously didn't in FFX where the German subs stuck more closely to the JP script e.g. Eng Yuna: "I love you" Ger sub: "Thank you.")

I don't think Smith is consulting anyone tbh but the other localizers have no choice but to keep some of the localization decisions made by the English version regardless i.e. pretty sure the German version would have kept Basch's name as "von Rosenburg" since that is a straight up German name to begin with. But it's "Ronsenburg" in the English version so they have to keep that because you hear his name pronounced that way in the cutscenes.
FFX had the problem of names not matching up. Example: ルッツ (Ruttsu)
The Eng VAs clearly say "Luzzu" but the German text goes with "Luttz".

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That's pretty fascinating :) I love learning about linguistics/localizations/accents. I keep meaning to make a thread about it :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
I got two (Golden Amulets) from chests and one as a reward from an early hunt.
Oh, I just got a fourth. If you give Dantro's Wife the Great Serpentskin you were rewarded for the Nihogg hunt in Bhujerba, the patient will give you a Golden Amulet when he's recovered. That's still a thing.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
Uhm so I totally randomly picked my job classes and now I'm all the way to the Mosphorian Highwaste kind of like "Ffffffffffffffuuuuuck. Fuckity fuck". :|

So things never to do, for future reference:

Foebreaker / Shikari (I did this with Basch)
Creates a character that has absolutely no magic skills but his Shikari license board gives him magic boosts. -_-

Machinist / Archer (I did this with Fran)
Tbh I never really use Fran and I didn't know what to do with these two classes because I'm not fond of either one so I just stuck them with her. Next playthrough I won't be concerned with utilizing every job class because I *never* need these for anything being that several melee characters have the telekinesis skill. Still. Two ranged classes for one character was sort of dumb.

Things that worked out to my advantage totally by mistake:

Monk / Time Mage (Vaan)
Uber powerful character with only one buff to stay on top of and the time mage license board gives him extra swiftness. Although next playthrough I'll probably give the Time Mage board to a slower character. He also has the Raise spell and he takes care of K.O.s really quickly.

Bushi / Red Battlemage (Balthier)
I picked the wrong character for this setup (should have been Penelo) but it works out surprisingly well. I never really need a white mage in my party because he has quite a few curative spells and buffers. Not to mention a good range of black magick spells just in case.

Things that worked out okay but could have been done better:

Knight / White Mage (Ashe)
The knight is a little slower IMO so next time I might do Knight / Time Mage. Having the Bushi/Red Mage setup in my main party sort of eliminates my need for this character ever.

Uhlan / Black Mage (Penelo)
This works out just fine because she's brawling when she isn't using magic but I think that a full on mage (Black Mage / White Mage) would have been a better set up. I like having a black mage and a white mage in my party at all times because I hate swapping out when it's needed but I rarely find myself needing both at the same time. Plus in my current situation, Penelo *only* has Black Magic so I can't rely on her for buffers of any kind and I wish that Balthier wasn't constantly casting Shell/Protect when he should be doing more melee combat as a Bushi.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Foebreaker / Shikari (I did this with Basch)
Creates a character that has absolutely no magic skills but his Shikari license board gives him magic boosts. -_-
I'll take a few useless magick lores in exchange for becoming a much better tank. Also, if you use an Esper or two (I forget which), this combo actually does get access to magick (admittedly one of the skills is Shades of Black, which is a RANDOM black magick, but it's still there!) :P

Fangu

Great Old One
Treasure maps

I managed to snag 3 Gendarmes from Ultima's room by using the tips in this video. It has 90 evade/ mag evade and absorbs all elemental magick, so, pretty win, but they're not as OP as the Seitengrat.

Party still going strong with just 3 characters with 1 job each. I have 9 espers so far and I'm yet to do Pharos. But now my list of (interesting) stuff to do is getting short, as I need to complete Phaors to get some of them done. Oh well.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
So they might be twigs from a particular tree :monster:
but when you get 28 white leaves, you get a black feather. which i guess is tree-related since. birds live in trees?

i imagined them being like a small decorative object shaped like a leaf/feather when i played it, but never thought of them being made of wood since i don't think the japanese version mentions anything like that. (i imagined ivory or something like that)

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh, so the Sandalwood Chop is a black feather in Japanese? Cool :monster:

Also, lol, just took the longest defeating Gilgamesh with 3 x lvl 54 and 3 x no levels at all. I even managed to steal all the Genji stuff, although none of my characters can equip it :lol:

Fangu

Great Old One
^ Correction, Fran can :monster: She has a Hammer which has some chance of comboing, which is kinda win when she has good RNG and comboes. She's kind of random but it's still effective.

Also just beat the game at ~60. Used a Bubble Belt on Ashe and had Basch Decoy/Curaga her, worked well enough. The Undying was a bit of a pain but he was never any real danger, especially with Holy protection equipped on Ashe. She also kept blocking stuff. Go Crystal Shield! (I skipped using the Gendarmes. It's cheating!)

Also, New Game+, lol! Will let that one rest for now. I played Reks up until the first Save Crystal and made a new Save. Will probably go back to that later. First I need to finish up my current game. I now have 11 Espers which means that Garif will let me into the dangerous part of the Henne Mines. It also means Reddas is out of my party, so I can finish the Orthros quest. (Even with Reddas dead he refused to spawn.) When I finish that I can get the parts needed to fight Chaos. Oh and I got the Ancient Key too so I can go fight Hell Wyrm when I'm up for it. Plus there's Fafnir, Belito, Deathgaze... then there's the Trials! And Rare game! And collecting maps! And that FUCKING COCKATRICE!

I have enough content to keep me entertained until Christmas :monster:

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
So I thought the Nabreus Deadlands would be a good place to level up...

:closedmonster:

30 seconds after entering:

Top Bottom