Final Fantasy XII

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well, I guess that post wasn't really aimed at you, Mog, but your words served as a better platform for my point. :P

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Ah, don't worry about it, Tennyo!

Well, my overall point with the Gambit System, the Liscense system, and all that is this: I didn't really like it. Like I said, my cup of tea is usually with games with stricter rules on who can become what, and etc. But if someone else liked it, that's cool! I'm glad. The world is a big place, and I can handle people liking something I didn't, different flavors all make the world go round. Now if enough people liked it for it to become the standard? I wouldn't be too happy about it, but then again, that's the way the world goes. It's whatever! I'm glad others are having a good time with it.

I'm just too laid back for my own good.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
This is complete bullshit. It's pretty much impossible to get through 90% of the game using only 2 gambits, either that's a deliberate exaggeration or you're bullshitting.

WAT game did you play, I don't see the point of the Gambits at all. I don't see how it could be impossible without them. O_O For example, why do you need someone to automatically heal when someone is below a certain percent of health? Why can't you just watch your health and do it on your own? (I was exaggerating when I said zero btw, I did use a couple. Like, everyone attack the same enemy, DUUR) Every time I got a gambit slot on the license board, I was like "GOD DAMNIT! :rage: " And Quickenings were really helpful with that process, especially if you can keep spamming it, which I was for some reason really good at.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@ Mog: lol

But yeah, I like having specific roles for everyone as well. I do still mostly get that with XII if I want it, because I choose to do it. :)

I also enjoyed making Ashe into a pally-type tank. It was so good to have a female tank instead of all girls being mages or something else!!! :joy:

WAT game did you play, I don't see the point of the Gambits at all. I don't see how it could be impossible without them. O_O For example, why do you need someone to automatically heal when someone is below a certain percent of health? Why can't you just watch your health and do it on your own? (I was exaggerating when I said zero btw, I did use a couple. Like, everyone attack the same enemy, DUUR) Every time I got a gambit slot on the license board, I was like "GOD DAMNIT! :rage: " And Quickenings were really helpful with that process, especially if you can keep spamming it, which I was for some reason really good at.

I saw the point of Gambits. They were fun and awesome as far as I am concerned. :)

Also, spamming quickening is the best thing ever. That was actually quite fun. I can't remember my biggest chain, though. :P

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Buff her speed and strength, and Fran makes an excellent tank, especially with a Katana or Ninja sword. She combos like crazy.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I do still mostly get that with XII if I want it, because I choose to do it.

Like I said though, the fun for me is the limitation. It's fun having the game go "You're a Knight. Period. But you can use Black Magic, if you really, really, want to...Now figure out how!" And when you do figure it out, the game THEN goes "Congratulations, you're a Knight who knows Black Magic! But don't get greedy, if you take up White Magic, you'll lose Black Magic, and while you CAN take up Summoning, you only have finite time and resources to do so!".

I love the element of 'CHOOSE CAREFULLY' and challenging the game at the limitations it imposes on you, which is why FFV and FFT rank as my favorite FF's in terms of gameplay.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
But yeah, that was the only thing about the battles system I didn't like. I customized my characters to all play a role but I did have a lot of wasted points trying to figure out where everything was that I wanted to give them. :/

It was such a stupid idea to not reveal the squares in advance. I can't think of the reasoning behind it. The whole point of the customization system is lost (well, not lost, but hampered) without the ability to plan ahead. If you ever play through it again, try it with the printout, its much better :monster:

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
12 definitely has this tho

Not what I mean, though. I mean like irreversible, 'if you pick up black magic right now that's what you'll be using forever' and 'your character stat growth that you take up now will impact the rest of the game irreversibly (or at least you can't make a 180 degree change or everyone can eventually become the same thing anyway)' choose carefully.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
There's no real way to be good AT everything in FF12, especially when it matters, maybe in the endgame where you can just grind eternally, but during the game you have to be very careful how you alot your points and build your characters. If you fuck up there's no way to go back and fix it.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I just prefer FFV, FFT, and Breath of Fire's character progression better. Don't know what to say, I suppose. Just wasn't my thing. With that said I should stop polluting this topic.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII are two of my favorite games ever. XII is mind blowing in its epicness.

Ashero

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Is this game still worth playing many years onward? I ask here because I liked FFVII a lot and as that game is in many ways an antithesis of this one, I'd like to see what fellow fans see in it. I'm currently aboard the airship where Ashe joins as herself the first time.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Is this game still worth playing many years onward? I ask here because I liked FFVII a lot and as that game is in many ways an antithesis of this one, I'd like to see what fellow fans see in it. I'm currently aboard the airship where Ashe joins as herself the first time.

Just keep playing and find out.

Then you'll know.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
XII is rather epic. Once you get out of the desert and into the mountains it starts to get pretty good. :)

It's not your typical animu romp through Bishi-Land, though (which is just my humble opinion as to why some people don't like it).

Ashero

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Enjoying it. I think much of the complaining stems from the lack of comraderie and the sense that the characters stick their necks out for each other; it feels a little dry in that sense. Lots of wandering.

I wonder if Yasumi's unwritten plot was, or if the game would be better if, the whole stone at the start was what the events of the game were controlled through by the Occuria - I know a brief synopsis of their motives and role in the game. I wonder how much better it'd be if Ashe's visions and Vaan's reminiscence of Reks in a hospital at the start were caused by it? It's interesting because, both Balthier and Vaan speak of the stone bringing abysmal, terrible luck.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
XII is rather epic. Once you get out of the desert and into the mountains it starts to get pretty good. :)

It's not your typical animu romp through Bishi-Land, though (which is just my humble opinion as to why some people don't like it).

And that's exactly why I love it. The plot is really sober and serious, not some typical animu bishonen shit :monster: If you pay attention to the cutscenes you'll realize that a good part of them just have the characters talking about wars and politics and magic stones that explode an' shit. No over-the-top fight scenes, no silly romance, no teen angst, just war. The game has a curious blend of realism and fantasy...

Srs bsnss. I like that. To some people it may be boring, but to me it's really enjoyable.

Also, Ivalice. :joy:

Wolf Kanno

Memento Mori
I love XII, cause it was really different from what SE was doing (okay, so not entirely, it does play like FFXI) but as Vega put it, the game focuses much more on realism but still has the Tolkien-style fantasy world. I really feel like the Ivalice of FFXII is more of a real world than some of the previous games,and I always find something new each time I play through it. Its not perfect, but what it does well I feel it does absolutely brilliant.

stiles

Call me a TREASURE HUNTER!
AKA
Locke
xii was the first game i played in the series and the first game in general that i played besides pokemon, and watching people play n64 games. i was a little late to the gaming scene.

it might be a mixture of that and the fact that i was only 12 or so when i played it, because a lot of people really don't like the game, but i consider it one of the best iterations of final fantasy. i'm a graphics whore and at the time they were pretty beast, the story looking back wasn't anything special but compared to pokemon and smash brothers it was massive and the battle system in my opinion is way better than turn based. transition phases usually ruin rpg's for me so it was great to see an mmo style battle system in an offline game.

It was such a stupid idea to not reveal the squares in advance. I can't think of the reasoning behind it. The whole point of the customization system is lost (well, not lost, but hampered) without the ability to plan ahead. If you ever play through it again, try it with the printout, its much better

totally agree. one of my favorite elements of rpg games is the customization and control you have over your character's progress, it was retarded to blindfold the user in that respect.

Username

Banned
FF 12 was shit, they tried to be clever and make a game that was completly different, and failed in my view. I really think the battles were useless and boring. FF 13 made up for this, and good job they did, could not bare another FF12, load of shit.

tibiquera

Lv. 25 Adventurer
FF 12 was shit, they tried to be clever and make a game that was completly different, and failed in my view. I really think the battles were useless and boring. FF 13 made up for this, and good job they did, could not bare another FF12, load of shit.
I can understand why some people might not like XII, but thinking XII was bad and XIII was better? Holy Crap!

XII was better than XIII in every way imaginable. Every way imaginable!

Top Bottom