Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
In that case I agree with you. More than anything though, I hope she has an interesting back story because from what little we've seen, her attitude seems different than the rest of the cast.

I would think so, what with her only being shown as an ENEMY up till now and everything.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
She wasn't shown as an enemy, but they made a point of her status as being vague.

Also, Vanille's summon hasn't been revealed has it? I read somewhere that her element is darkness, so maybe Diablo is her baby. He'll probably turn into a blackhole shooting tank.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
People are saying Carbuncle isn't even used in battles from the info they got. No confirmation yet, but it sounds about right.

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
Apparently, there are two types of Summons in FFXIII - the ones like Odin and Shiva, who are mechanical in nature and are used by the party and others who are organic, like Ifrit and Carbuncle.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
She wasn't shown as an enemy, but they made a point of her status as being vague.

Also, Vanille's summon hasn't been revealed has it? I read somewhere that her element is darkness, so maybe Diablo is her baby. He'll probably turn into a blackhole shooting tank.

The only scene we see her interact with anyone in is where Snow is captured and she is a l'Cie working for the Sanctum. Or did I miss something?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The only scene we see she's a bystander to snow's plight. That doesn't mean she's a villain, just that she has her own reasons for not getting involved with other people's problems.

I don't recall it ever being said that she works for Sanctum, she's a playable character and clearly has a relation to one of the main party members. I don't recall it ever being implied that she was a villain at all, just that one dubious scene from the trailer, where she herself takes no part in any real activity past making an offhand remark to Snow. If anything they made a point of her status being vague intentionally.

Last edited:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
The only scene we see she's a bystander to snow's plight. That doesn't mean she's a villain, just that she has her own reasons for not getting involved with other people's problems.

I don't recall it ever being said that she works for Sanctum, she's a playable character and clearly has a relation to one of the main party members. I don't recall it ever being implied that she was a villain at all, just that one dubious scene from the trailer, where she herself takes no part in any real activity past making an offhand remark to Snow. If anything they made a point of her status being vague intentionally.

I'm pretty sure the text in the scan state her to be working for the Sanctum but either way, where everyone else has to hide and run for their lives the Sanctum has absolutely no problem with her. No **** that she'll have a different attidute.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I'm pretty sure the text in the scan state her to be working for the Sanctum but either way, where everyone else has to hide and run for their lives the Sanctum has absolutely no problem with her.

This doesn't make her a villain. It's not like good guys haven't started on the wrong side before in an FF game. Thinking she was a villain is pure assumption on fan's part. You don't see her actively combating the good guys or challenging them in any way as opposed to the other two which we see directly conflict with the and display an especially antagonistic demeanor towards all of them.
No **** that she'll have a different attidute.

So?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
This doesn't make her a villain. It's not like good guys haven't started on the wrong side before in an FF game. Thinking she was a villain is pure assumption on fan's part. You don't see her actively combating the good guys or challenging them in any way as opposed to the other two which we see directly conflict with the and display an especially antagonistic demeanor towards all of them.

I think we'll fight her at least once, Steiner being a playable character most of the time didn't stop him from being an antagonist for a good portion either.

So? So nothing. Cannon_Fodder said she seemed to have a different attidute, I think it has more to do with position she was in during the one scene we saw her in as opposed to the rest of the cast then reflectant of her backstory or character.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I think we'll fight her at least once, Steiner being a playable character most of the time didn't stop him from being an antagonist for a good portion either.
wait, wait, Steiner was never an antagonist. He was antagonistic toward Garnet and Zidane's relationship, but that didn't make him an antagonist, because he generally believed in working for The Greater Good.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Maybe, but we're still just assuming here.
So? So nothing

So what the hell did any of that have to do with what I said for you to respond to my post with that?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
wait, wait, Steiner was never an antagonist. He was antagonistic toward Garnet and Zidane's relationship, but that didn't make him an antagonist, because he generally believed in working for The Greater Good.

This too, and Zidane actually started out as a criminal opposed to being a "good guy" in the general sense. They were just ok folks on different sides of the law.

has anyone found out about her name yet??

I already posted that her name is Oerba Yun Fang dood.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I think he meant what kind of relation does her name have to do with Oerba Dia Vanille, since they're so similar.
Does FFXIII have clans or do they not? Cause they don't look like siblings, so I'd be riding on the 'same clan' boat.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I think he meant what kind of relation does her name have to do with Oerba Dia Vanille, since they're so similar.

And I would play as a blackhole shooting tank. Could be fun.

Nah, he really didn't know her name.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Maybe, but we're still just assuming here.

So what the hell did any of that have to do with what I said for you to respond to my post with that?

You're gonna have to be waaay more clear about what your problem is.

This too, and Zidane actually started out as a criminal opposed to being a "good guy" in the general sense. They were just ok folks on different sides of the law.

You don't have to be a bad guy to the antagonist. Like Yaag said, PSICOM is just out to protect Cocoon, doesn't stop them for the people that the main character are at conflict with, and thus the antagonists. Zidane is a criminal but still the guy whose story you're following, in which Steiner is for a good few instances the opposing force.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
You're gonna have to be waaay more clear about what your problem is.

No, not I'm not.
You don't have to be a bad guy to the antagonist. Like Yaag said, PSICOM is just out to protect Cocoon, doesn't stop them for the people that the main character are at conflict with, and thus the antagonists. Zidane is a criminal but still the guy whose story you're following, in which Steiner is for a good few instances the opposing force.
The defining role of an Antagonist in media is that of the villain, which is why people are reluctant to call Steiner an antagonist. It's a label that comes with very seedy implications. It is very uncommon for a character without villainous intentions to be regarded as an antagonist by most people.

Which is why we deem it more appropriate to say he's been antagonistic at times, as opposed to being an antagonist, seeing as how within moments of the first hour of the game he's fighting alongside Zidane for similar reasons.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Steiner wasn't anything close to an antagonist. He just didn't like Zidane and saw him as a thief. He doesn't stand in your way with the enemy forces at all.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
You fight him like five times in the first hour of gameplay alone.
Three. And that's sort of because he's kidnapping the princess.

wiki said:
An antagonist (from Greek ἀνταγωνιστής - antagonistes, "opponent, competitor, rival"[1]) is a character, group of characters, or an institution, who represents the opposition against which the protagonist(s) must contend
He only fights with Steiner during the first hour, and that's it. So he's more antagonistic than an actual antagonist.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Look, I'm not saying that Steiner is evil, I'm not even saying that he's wrong, but Zidane is the protagonist, you're following his story where's kipnapping the princess, in which he is opposed by Steiner and after that fleeing from Alexendria, in which he is opposed by Steiner. He most certainly contends wit him.

Top Bottom