Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Nah she is famous. She's got a song that plays on the radio here, but only one that I've heard of.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
She sang that "KEEP BLEEDN, KEEP KEEP BLEEDN LOVE" song. A song which has a tendency to ring in my ears for days -_-; I'm not sure about her international renown, though I suppose she's pretty famous in North America.

Also, agreeing with the sentiments on the song. I don't really favour one or the other.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
She sang that "KEEP BLEEDN, KEEP KEEP BLEEDN LOVE" song. A song which has a tendency to ring in my ears for days -_-; I'm not sure about her international renown, though I suppose she's pretty famous in North America.
Ugh, she sings THAT monstrosity?

Then again, I don't like the J-Pop shit much either. I vote we change all the music with sound effects of washing machines hitting the wall, as it will certainly be more melodic.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I've been trying to avoid most details about this game, as that makes waiting easier (anyone else remember reading every detail and posting every day in the wait for Advent Children?). Definitely made the wait for FFXII less difficult, and I think I ended up enjoying the game more for it.

Anyway, I agree with Cannon_Fodder. Neither of these recent announcements are bad.

The Leona Lewis song sounds fine, and March 9th is also sooner than I expected. And until we've actually seen how the song is incorporated into the game, we shouldn't condemn the choice. It might be completely appropriate.

I can't stand that song "Cosmic Dancer," but thought its inclusion and use in the film "Billy Elliot" was perfect.

Last edited:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
I'm not sure about her international renown, though I suppose she's pretty famous in North America.
Errr....
She won the X-Factor over here, she has done a couple of alright songs I suppose. Not a huge fan though, just isn't my kind of thing.
Over here meaning the UK, in case you were wondering. :) So, UK and US, and I don't know which branch of SE approved her to sing the song, so maybe she's big in Japan, too.

I'm not a big fan of Leona's, but she does have a great voice. I haven't heard the song My Hands, but I'm interested in seeing how it goes. I'd also wonder how accurate the release date is for the EU, considering (in the UK, at least) we have our new games released on a Friday. However, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was released over here on a Tuesday to fit with the international release, so we'll see.

Last edited:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Over here meaning the UK, in case you were wondering. :) So, UK and US, and I don't know which branch of SE approved her to sing the song, so maybe she's big in Japan, too.

Oic. Yeah, I had where she's from/how she made it big or anything.

Also, I think I read that the Versus battle system is going to be similar to Kingdom Hearts. I dunno about everyone else, but using all of Noctis' weapons KH-style sounds kind of badass.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well Versus is being made by the KH team so I would think there would be similarities. :monster:

But you're right, it does sound rather badass. :monster:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Well Versus is being made by the KH team so I would think there would be similarities. :monster:
Not necessarily - Jupiter, who worked with SE on the KH games Chain of Memories and 358 1/2 Days, also worked with SE on The World Ends With You, and the battle systems are fairly different. :)

Still, it sounds like it could be awesome, especially if they took the control system from Crisis Core as a starting point. ^_^

Smaddy

Green Mage
FF13 looks fantastic from the videos I've seen.

That Lewis song though... it's a decent song, but nothing about it says "Final Fantasy" to me. It's like they just reached into a bag of pop music song titles and just picked whichever random popular artist's song to throw in there. Not that the song has to have specifics in it or be about slaying dragons, but the song's lyrics talk about a typical relationship/breakup. And I don't think it's a particularly standout tune either... sounds like a typical R&B song to me, just like anything else.

Personally, I like the original better. It's a really pretty song. I don't understand why they'd bother with making it if they're just going to go and change it for American/European releases. Why can't the song stay? What's wrong with subtitles?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I've never quite understood why people hold J-Pop in such high regard. Because it's in Japanese it's automatically better? Is J-Pop sacred or something? :/

I remember how everyone seemed to think that Utada Hikaru was so great, and then she released an English language album. It wasn't horrible, but it really wasn't anything special that stood out. It was even released here in the US, but I don't think it did very well at ALL. :/

Hinata Hyuga

wallflower
AKA
Juniper, Rinali, Legretta
I have that Utada album. I wouldn't call it revolutionary, but there are some nice songs on it. I like Stay Gold.

(I'm not a fan of J-pop. I just bought it for some reason.)

But yeah, I remember some people freaking out when KH 1 came out, acting like she was the most amazing female artist ever and stuff, and now not too many of them still give a poop.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
That Lewis song though... it's a decent song, but nothing about it says "Final Fantasy" to me.
Well, you can say the same about the Gackt songs in Dirge of Cerberus. As a matter of fact, the last song in a FF game that actually fitted it, IMHO, was 1000 Words in FFX-2. And before that, Melodies of Life in FFIX.

I can't even say that the songs for KH and KHII really fitted either, TBH. :/ Not that they were bad, it's just... well, they could have been released a seperate singles with no links to the games. Actually, same is true with some of the songs in The World Ends With You.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I have that Utada album. I wouldn't call it revolutionary, but there are some nice songs on it. I like Stay Gold.

But yeah, I remember some people freaking out when KH 1 came out, acting like she was the most amazing female artist ever and stuff, and now not too many of them still give a poop.

That was like, five years ago or so. I remember because I bought that CD as well, while I was on layover in a the Narita airport on my way home from visiting a friend in China. I remember feeling rather disappointed with it. :/

Then I saw it at Target and thought, "Damn! I could have waited and paid half the price! XD

Ya beat me to it :monster:

Great news though! Here's an overly dramatic interview for you: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dynasty-doc-final-fantasy/58997 Any idea who that dude is?

I just watched this on the Squex Members site. http://member.square-enix.com/na/videos/view.php?id=047

That is the corniest thing I've ever seen. Also, that guy gives off a total douche-bag vibe. XD

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Well, you can say the same about the Gackt songs in Dirge of Cerberus.

Correction: You can say that about the whole game.

The songs itself fit the mood of the game, imo. But the whole package in itself isn't very FF-like. :monster:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum

I mostly just like her song Beautiful World. I dunno if it's on that album though...

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I've never quite understood why people hold J-Pop in such high regard. Because it's in Japanese it's automatically better? Is J-Pop sacred or something? :/

I've never quite understood why people hold US pop music in high regard. Because its American it's automatically better? Is pop music sacred or something?

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I've never quite understood why people hold US pop music in high regard. Because its American it's automatically better? Is pop music sacred or something?

First of all, I'm the one who made this comment about Jpop, not Force. :)

Second of all I don't quite understand where you're going with this? Was I defending American pop music or something? :huh:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

I remember how everyone seemed to think that Utada Hikaru was so great, and then she released an English language album. It wasn't horrible, but it really wasn't anything special that stood out. It was even released here in the US, but I don't think it did very well at ALL. :/

I'm not a J-Pop fan by any means, but I kind of love Utada and I liked that album lulz :monster:

Also, the Japanese song is just as typically Jpoppy as the Leona Lewis song is typically Poppy/RnBish. At least this time they didn't stick in a main character who acts as a Leona avatar.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
First of all, I'm the one who made this comment about Jpop, not Force. :)

Second of all I don't quite understand where you're going with this? Was I defending American pop music or something? :huh:

Because pop is pop, regardless of what culture it is. Japanese people like pop, US people like pop, and people are fans of pop music from different cultures. People are gonna be fans of the genre. It has nothing to do with it being Japanese, and everything to do with people just liking it. Fans of US pop are the same way.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Mantichorus said:
Well, you can say the same about the Gackt songs in Dirge of Cerberus.

I don't know if it said "Final Fantasy" or not, but "Redemption" was bloody perfect for that credits sequence. And a proper credits sequence is damn important to a story's denouement. It determines the feeling you carry away with you.

I like the use of pop music in FF games, to be honest. So far, they've done a good job with it. "Real Emotion", "1000 words", "Why?", "Redemption" -- good stuff. "Longing" didn't change my life or anything, but it worked well enough for what was a fairly pointless string of battles.

Pop is good in all its forms -- soda, corn and music.

Top Bottom