Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Dark and Divine

Pro Adventurer
AKA
D&D
1.) That's not even close to all of the side quests that are in FFXII.

2.) The hunts of FFXII are a lot more interesting than just going and killing shit. They make it a job. An integral part of the world history where you learn more about Ivalice, the people, clans and about the different species of monsters.

Actually, by completing some of the hunts of FFXIII, you also unlock some entries in the clan primer-like thingie wich give us some background to the world and some past events, like the
War of Revelations

So:

It's also more than just your usual "Go kill shit for gilz."

:monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I just heard that the second Japanese song "Eternal Love" has been taken out completely and the scene in which it plays now has "Serah's Theme" as background music.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Actually, by completing some of the hunts of FFXIII, you also unlock some entries in the clan primer-like thingie wich give us some background to the world and some past events, like the
War of Revelations

And this is at least the third time Mako has made a statement of fact about FF13 which was wrong because he hasn't played it.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I just heard that the second Japanese song "Eternal Love" has been taken out completely and the scene in which it plays now has "Serah's Theme" as background music.
I was wondering what would happen to Eternal Love. But I like Serah's Theme. Shame they couldn't do something different, though (even if just an instrumental version of Eternal Love or something).

Also:

I want to see that on an actual TV but don't know what channels it's been shown on D:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
And this is at least the third time Mako has made a statement of fact about FF13 which was wrong because he hasn't played it.

That somehow makes the dirth of actual content okay? Because they ripped off what FFXII did before, watered it down? I already knew that.

Them having hunts that do kinda the same thing as FFXII's Clan Primer does not make FFXIII's lack of content somehow miraculously better. Good job missing that point there. It's still lacking compared to the previous one. If anything it looks more half assed.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
For one, you've played FFVII several times, so of course you'd beat it in 29. And other FFs in terms of plot and side quests, go well above the 40 hour mark. If you just zip right through the main plot without doing anything else (which isn't what you're supposed to do in the first place) of course it'd be around 40. What I want to know is, how many hours of play time the game is including its side quests. And all of what I've seen and heard makes it pretty damn quick. It parallels FFX in that regard.

The guy in the stream who I just saw beat the game took over 50 hours to do it, and he didn't bother with the side quests. Actually, he didn't even level whore that much.

As for FFX, I played through that game twice, and though I did more stuff on one playthrough than the other, combined, the two files have more than 300 hours of play time. There's a lot of shit to occupy you in FFX. :monster:

Mako said:
It's the systemic loss of quality and effort in Square Enix that's just been slowly making them look bad. Their own comments on FFXIII's development, its choices, and then how haaard an FFVII remake would be, shows there's truly something wrong in their heads.

I'd agree that they're definitely making themselves look like they're half-assing some things -- which is a shame, because they most obviously didn't half-ass the story/characters, audio and graphics (at least as far as the PS3 version goes).

Really, it's like I've been saying all along: It's misplaced priorities. They put too much attention on the graphics, so exploration/the setting and the gameplay suffered in the long run.

Still, the story/characters and the presentation thereof came out very well.

Mako said:
Them having hunts that do kinda the same thing as FFXII's Clan Primer does not make FFXIII's lack of content somehow miraculously better. Good job missing that point there. It's still lacking compared to the previous one. If anything it looks more half assed.

In my opinion, FFXIII's version of the Hunts doesn't come off as creatively or as awesome. Though their presence is given a basis in the setting as XII's Hunts were, it's disappointing that they repeat so many of the same enemy types and that you never get to fight Titan.

Actually, if you got to fight Titan, I'd probably just go ahead and call it the greatest side quest ever. :awesome: Seriously, that would be fucking great, and I see no reason why it couldn't have been done.

Yes, he's huge, but fuck -- Shadow of the Colossus pulled it off on the PS2.

Anyway, outside of a Tonberry knifing another monster in hilarious fashion, a samurai Cie'th kicking ass, and the presence of a Jumbo Cactaur, there's really nothing cool about the Missions. The last mission certainly isn't on par with Yiazmat in intimidation -- this is just a palette-swapped monster that you've killed duplicates of elsewhere.

Yeah, in terms of stats there's more to him than that, but you're still thinking "I've already seen this thing die. I know what its blood looks like."

All the Missions can be seen here, by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=44825C1078C14477&page=1

Given that this constitutes the game's side quests, I think it's reasonable to find it disappointing.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
If every mission in FFXIII gave you those bits of text (and better items), that would have been more awesomer. Repeating 'lolz, there's 13 of them' all the time isn't good enough.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Well glad some people can see what I'm talking about and be honest :monster:

Criticism isn't a bad thing.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
That advert has been on E4 all week.
Also, am currently in a state of depression, under false impression that gamestation was having midnight launch.
I went in to make sure, SAW MY COPY OF THE GAME, WITH MY NAME ON A LABEL ON IT, and the man was like o we're not, come and pick it up at 8.30am if you're keen.
Keen?
OF COURSE I'M FUCKING KEEN, MY COPY IS RIGHT THERE, I'VE BEEN WAITING 4 YEARS AND YOU'RE MAKING ME WAIT 8 MORE HOURS.
FUCK YOU

ForceStealer

Double Growth

Did I say anything about making anything better? I said you were wrong assuming that its just "Go kill shit for gilz." Just as you were with buying weapons (and said weapons then appearing in battles). Good job missing the point there.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Actually, if you got to fight Titan, I'd probably just go ahead and call it the greatest side quest ever. :awesome: Seriously, that would be fucking great, and I see no reason why it couldn't have been done.

Yes, he's huge, but fuck -- Shadow of the Colossus pulled it off on the PS2.

God of War III actually has boss battles in realtime against enemies BIGGER than Titan with tons of shit going on in the background.

There really is no excuse at all.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
:hugesadpanda:

:crymoar:

:failsafe:

:demands:

The stages of grief. :(

God of War III actually has boss battles in realtime against enemies BIGGER than Titan with tons of shit going on in the background.

There really is no excuse at all.

No doubt. This is possibly my biggest gripe with the game.

Between all the exciting cutscenes where you should be able to interact with shit and then this, FFXIII excels at being the greatest cocktease in SE history.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Have you all seen the ad that runs on Adult Swim in the middle of the night? It's like, wtf? I really wish I could find it on YouTube. :/

Top Bottom