Final Fantasy XIII Non-Spoiler Thread

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm optimistic. I haven't heard anything yet that can tell me whether or not I'll actually like the game. It's all going to come down to sitting and playing it myself.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, I just got the FFXIII Complete Official Guide Collector's Edition, and let me just say -- this is the most amazing western strategy guide I have ever seen. Its presentation is beautiful, its pages are wonderful quality, the images and colors are vibrant, and it's a hardback!

This is a truly gorgeous strategy guide.

It's even reminiscent of an Ultimania in that it has a story summary, as well as explanation, analysis and speculation of key plot points.

This is undoubtedly the best western guide I've ever touched. If you decide to get the strategy guide, spring the extra $10 and get this version rather than the regular. It's going to be in limited supply anyway, as they only plan to print it the one time, so don't waste the opportunity.

Oddly enough, though, me getting this guide and gushing over it does highlight the irony that I'll probably never actually purchase the game itself. I had intended to go halfway on it with a friend of mine, but he already went ahead and bought it.

Honestly, I'm not really that interested in playing the game. I don't feel that I lose anything by just watching it on YouTube, Viddler, JustinTV or while someone else plays it on a television. Really, the experience is in the story this time around.

Yeah, the battle system is alright, but nothing amazing. Nothing that makes me feel the need to own the game myself so that I can play through a particular area, take on a specific boss, or just get in fights and have fun -- which is a feeling I have gotten from some of the other FF games.

Even if just looking at the battle systems, VII, VIII, X and Tactics can be fun just to play. Tactics in particular, I can turn on and participate in random encounters anytime.

As such a strong supporter of FFXIII, it must sound odd that I'm saying something like this ... but I really don't feel the need to play this game, despite how much I like it. It's the story and characters that I adore, and I don't have to play it to experience that.

For me, XIII's battle system is passable. It's just not stirring any emotions in me.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I dunno, Tres, once you get a majority of the functions available, this is one of my favorite battle systems yet. Its challenging FFX-2 for my favorite.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Tresdias said:
Honestly, I'm not really that interested in playing the game. I don't feel that I lose anything by just watching it on YouTube, Viddler, JustinTV or while someone else plays it on a television. Really, the experience is in the story this time around.

LOL irony. But yeah, we talked about this, and that's what happens when a game's more story and movie, than actual immersive gameplay. If there's no integration of the two concepts, there is really no incentive to actually drop the hard cash and immerse yourself in the world. Because all you're doing is watching the cool characters do cool shit, instead of doing it yourself. Who would pay 60 bucks for a movie? Making the story is cool, but if that's all there is, why play it?

Like I said before, FFXIII looks great and sounds great. But it looks more like a spectator experience, rather than a gameplay one. And the fact you really can get a feel for it and not miss anything by just watching just....says it all. I'm not that impressed with the combat system either, especially after from having a hands on playthrough of it myself. It'll get rented. Eventually.

On another note, from what I've seen of the guide, it really *is* impressive. I'd buy it too, sometime down the line. Gosh, who would've predicted a surge in quality would occur once SE got rid of Brady Games as their guide publishers. :awesome:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
LOL irony. But yeah, we talked about this, and that's what happens when a game's more story and movie, than actual immersive gameplay. If there's no integration of the two concepts, there is really no incentive to actually drop the hard cash and immerse yourself in the world. Because all you're doing is watching the cool characters do cool shit, instead of doing it yourself. Who would pay 60 bucks for a movie? Making the story is cool, but if that's all there is, why play it?

Truth be told, I might be willing to pay full price if they'd release another disc with all the story scenes and the unnecessary gameplay elements removed. :awesome:

Mako said:
Like I said before, FFXIII looks great and sounds great. But it looks more like a spectator experience, rather than a gameplay one. And the fact you really can get a feel for it and not miss anything by just watching just....says it all. I'm not that impressed with the combat system either, especially after from having a hands on playthrough of it myself.

Yeah, I should probably add that I've actually played it at this point as well. Wasn't moved by the battle system at all.

Mako said:
On another note, from what I've seen of the guide, it really *is* impressive. I'd buy it too, sometime down the line.

This is a more important purchase than the game, good sir.

Mako said:
Gosh, who would've predicted a surge in quality would occur once SE got rid of Brady Games as their guide publishers. :awesome:

Literally anyone who's ever used one? :awesome:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Oddly enough, though, me getting this guide and gushing over it does highlight the irony that I'll probably never actually purchase the game itself.
funny-pictures-hamster-is-slain-by-brutus.jpg

Also tell me more about what's in the guide :awesome:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@Mako: So, instead of getting the special collector's extended editions of all three LOTR movies in addition to the theatrical versions I already owned I should have just been contented with watching clips on YouTube? Because LOTR is one big huge continuous story, really. But I guess I can't immerse myself in a great story if it doesn't have the right battle system. :/

Wow, how much did all of that cost in the end when all added up? $60? More?

Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm going to go sell all my copies and just rely on YouTube not taking clips down and keep watching them that way. :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Really, the experience is in the story this time around.
Really? Because I find it to be full of cliches and annoying characters with annoying voices.

Even if just looking at the battle systems, VII, VIII, X and Tactics can be fun just to play. Tactics in particular, I can turn on and participate in random encounters anytime.
Really? Because FFVII's battle system bored me quite a bit at times.
For me, XIII's battle system is passable. It's just not stirring any emotions in me.
Exactly how I feel about 7. The only thing that managed to keep me interested in the game were the cool limit animations.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
@Mako: So, instead of getting the special collector's extended editions of all three LOTR movies in addition to the theatrical versions I already owned I should have just been contented with watching clips on YouTube? Because LOTR is one big huge continuous story, really. But I guess I can't immerse myself in a great story if it doesn't have the right battle system. :/

Wow, how much did all of that cost in the end when all added up? $60? More?

Thanks for opening my eyes. I'm going to go sell all my copies and just rely on YouTube not taking clips down and keep watching them that way. :monster:

The fact that you'd spend 60 bucks for the LOTR trilogy reeks of failure, right off the bat. Sorry. :monster:

You would be better off doing that. Or at the very least getting those movies off the discount DVD aisle.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The fact that you'd spend 60 bucks for the LOTR trilogy reeks of failure, right off the bat. Sorry. :monster:

Hey fuck you buddy.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Hey fuck you buddy.

What he said.

I got the extended editions as well and don't regret a penny of it, Mako.

Also tell me more about what's in the guide :awesome:

Es muy caliente. :monster:

There's a couple charts for the Cocoon and Gran Pulse alphabets, some art exclusive to this guide's story summary, and, of course, comprehensive details about the gameplay elements.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
You're also the nutcup who just said he'd pay sixty dollars for a totally hollowed out version of FFXIII, sans what paltry gameplay it has.

Of course you wouldn't regret a penny. Howard Hughes didn't regret a penny when he bought up every single restaurant chain within the borders of Texas, in the 1940s. Folks like you never regret a thing. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I have enjoyed past battle systems, but I saw them as a means to an end (advancing the story) than something to enjoy on its own. Unless it's for levelling up or some other gameplay goal, I'm going through the battles to get to the next part of the game and the story. I might enjoy myself along the way, but it's not really my goal.

Es muy caliente. :monster:

There's a couple charts for the Cocoon and Gran Pulse alphabets, some art exclusive to this guide's story summary, and, of course, comprehensive details about the gameplay elements.
I was wondering if there was stuff that would alleviate Ultimania workloads. Because that's be muy bueno :monster:

But take pictures of the arts, plz.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I have enjoyed past battle systems, but I saw them as a means to an end (advancing the story) than something to enjoy on its own. Unless it's for levelling up or some other gameplay goal, I'm going through the battles to get to the next part of the game and the story. I might enjoy myself along the way, but it's not really my goal.

Well said. I think I've enjoyed the battle systems in KHs more than Final Fantasy. Except for X. That game had some really good bossfights.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Dude, if the gameplay is just a means to an end, what's the point? There has to be some sort of enjoyment or fun, otherwise the game is boring and tedious.

FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FF Tactics, and let's not forget Dissidia...not only made combat a means to an end. But it was fun to actually play.

FFV's battle system was fun because of the sheer amount of customization you could do with all the job classes, spells, and abilities you learned. The enemies were amusing too. The same can be said with FFVI.

FFVII's kinda rough these days but I suppose nostalgia still makes me pick up and enjoy playing it, especially to do the limit breaks. Its materia system still offers challenges and new ways to play which is good.

FFVIII's was awesomely done graphically and in terms of customization with the draw system. The limit breaks were godly.

I've neglected FFIX for a reason. I love that game but its battle system almost conspired against you.

FFX was really strategic and well done. Despite it being so radically turn based, it was done in a way where you had to plan ahead carefully, and it kept you thinking on your toes. It could get fast paced and ugly real fast which I loved.

FFXII's was just amazing, period. And FFT was unique and really fun for the strategy lover in me. I loved the tactics ogre battle system.

Gameplay should never be a means to an end. It should BE the end. In the end I'm playing this to have fun and be thrilled.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Gameplay is never THE END in a Final Fantasy though.

It's just a device used to move the plot forward, it's never been the main focus. Well, that's not really true. But it's never been the key focus. It was always more about the story.

Also, inb4 bitching about XII.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Gameplay is never THE END in a Final Fantasy though.

It's just a device used to move the plot forward, it's never been the main focus. Well, that's not really true. But it's never been the key focus. It was always more about the story.

In terms of the narrative of course, but the gameplay is heavily focused upon and developed in order for the expansion of the narrative to be not only engaging but also entertaining and more importantly, fun. The gameplay moves the story, but that's also a very important role. If the gameplay sucks and I find playing a chore, whats gonna motivate me to play?

See FFXII: Revenant Wings. :awesome:

Also, inb4 bitching about XII.

Lol.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The gameplay moves the story, but that's also a very important role. If the gameplay sucks and I find playing a chore, whats gonna motivate me to play?

Obviously the plot is what's going to motivate you.

Seriously, most FF gameplay is boiled down to navigating maps, and battling monsters. Sure, there's always the sidequests and whatnot, but those aren't always as developed as the maingame.

Some of us actually enjoy exploration and interacting with NPCs than you token turn based battle though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Obviously the plot is what's going to motivate you.

Seriously, most FF gameplay is boiled down to navigating maps, and battling monsters. Sure, there's always the sidequests and whatnot, but those aren't always as developed as the maingame.

Some of us actually enjoy exploration and interacting with NPCs than you token turn based battle though.

Well I like all that too, obviously. :awesome:

But I find combat fun. Yes, that's what it boils down too, but its all enjoyable when its brought together by a good gameplay system.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
But it was fun to actually play.
Right. But I'm playing them to get to my goal, which is usually getting somewhere in the story and experience of the game.

If the game system was absolutely broken I might not bother playing it all (or I still might for the story or atmosphere if I like that, such as Rule of Rose). I like Uncharted and Bioshock, but I'm playing through them more because I enjoyed the characters, the stories and the worlds than because I like shooting my way through Splicers and Spaniards.

Maybe I'm looking for something different in games (not every game, perhaps, but a lot of games) in that I'm not looking just for some fancy gameplay but the whole experience, and for me the setting and story are a large part of that.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I dunno about you, but I love shootin' Spaniards. :monster:

That's what I look for in games. Shootin' Spaniards in the jungle.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Meh. Combat in most FF games is just serviceable. I never saw it as a main draw.

It's not like with Mass Effect 2, where the core shooting gameplay is really fun and engaging, AND the exploration, character interaction and plot are phenomenal.

Top Bottom