Final Fantasy XV (was Versus XIII)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I would have given anything to have a battle against him.
Well, we maybe do -- sort of. :monster:

Some theorize that the Ayakashi daemon fought in the "Dead General Strikes Down the King" hunt may be Drautos as a daemon, given the name of the hunt.

There's also the Psychomancer daemon we can kill in the streets of Insomnia, who will drop Nyx's daggers. One of Nyx's daggers was imbedded in Glauca's shoulder area when the two men died, and the other dagger would presumably have been laying there near at hand where Drautos would have undergone daemonification.

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Well, we maybe do -- sort of. :monster:

Some theorize that the Ayakashi daemon fought in the "Dead General Strikes Down the King" hunt may be Drautos as a daemon, given the name of the hunt.

There's also the Psychomancer daemon we can kill in the streets of Insomnia, who will drop Nyx's daggers. One of Nyx's daggers was imbedded in Glauca's shoulder area when the two men died, and the other dagger would presumably have been laying there near at hand where Drautos would have undergone daemonification.

Well... yeah... sorta...

And yes, it has been confirmed that the Psychomancer which drops Nyx's daggers is, in fact, a daemonified Titus Drautos. One of the daggers flew some metters away when he parried Nyx's apparent last attack, the other ended up, from being lodged inside the back of his armor by Libertus, to being stuck in his heart (yes, I had to watch the scene frame by frame for documentation, lol).

Still... it's not the same. fighting a super powerful magic ghost is not exactly the same as fighting a dude with an overpowered armor who.just.won't.give.up.

Also, I would have liked a bit of drama. Not the same effect fighting the man who directly killed your father (hello Noct, hello Gladio), than an entire empire on which the guilt is kinda diluted. I'm a sucker for getting personal in fights.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Yeah, there's no pay off in fightning an optional zombie enemy that might be Drautos, just as there was no emotional pay off in defeating zombie Iedolas.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Nyx plunges those Kukiri in Glauca's heart and while we don't see him die, he's severly wounded.

Now, when we kill the Psychomancer daemon, when it dies, Nyx's Kukiri fall from it's body.

Presumably the daemonified body of General Glauca had Nyx's weapons embedded in his body since those knives didn't go anywhere and they were finally liberated upon Glauca's daemon's death. Nothing says or confirms this but out of all the places you could've found those knives it's interesting they were found there. In a Daemon in ruined Insomnia.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
Continuing with my previous post, fighting mindless zombified humans just takes away the human factor, same with fighting mindless waves of random robots.

Honestly, I wanted to see a more revengeful side from Noctis, and fighting Iedolas and Drautos would have been a perfect opportunity for that.

In the end, the tale gets more universal, its not about avenging the death of your loved ones or retaking your kingdom, but saving the world. I know, we see Noctis angry sometimes, but it wasn't enough.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Noctis has no reason to be vengeaful againts the emperor, he didn't kill his father (Drautos did), he didn't hurts his fiancee (Ardyn did), he didn't hurt his bros (Ardyn & other Niffs did), he didn't orchestrate the destruction of Insomnia/world (Ardyn did).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'd contend that Noct had as much reason to be vengeful against Iedolas as against Drautos, even if Ardyn had well earned the thrust of it by the end -- but the point of Noctis's personal growth was meant to be that he made better choices than Ardyn in similar circumstances and saw Ardyn as another victim/person who needed to be saved.

In the end, the tale gets more universal, its not about avenging the death of your loved ones or retaking your kingdom, but saving the world.
Ironically, being less about a personal grudge match makes it less generic. =P

I was thinking about this overnight. For me, given the enormous personal losses everyone in the world has suffered by the time the last chapter rolls around, focusing on revenge for one life would seem trivial. In the end, even Ardyn is revealed to be a victim, just as Noctis in a victim: they're all trapped in this appalling situation. Regis is killed by trying to fight it, Iedolas is destroyed by trying to use it to his own advantage, and Noctis has to die to finally put an end to it. Ardyn's like Sephiroth in that he is a victim of the machinations of greater powers, who chose the wrong reaction to his victimhood, although his reasons for making that choice are explored in a lot more psychological depth.

Wol

AKA
Rosarian Shield
I wasn't advocating for a story focused only on revenge, but I think the sentiment wasn't present enough given the circumstances and Noctis age.

Noctis has no reason to be vengeaful againts the emperor, he didn't kill his father (Drautos did), he didn't hurts his fiancee (Ardyn did), he didn't hurt his bros (Ardyn & other Niffs did), he didn't orchestrate the destruction of Insomnia/world (Ardyn did).
Yes, but Iedolas commanded the treason during the peace treaty and the hunt for him and Luna, partially destroying his hometown and stealing his kingdom's treasure. That's reason enough for me to make that bastard pay for it.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I gotta say, the conflict between King Regis and the Glaives with the latter performing mutiny over Lucis's acceptance of the peace treaty is really well done. Most Glaives are refugees that Lucis took in after Nifelheim invaded their countries. They're grateful for the second chance, but also dissatisfied with how Lucis has handled the war. Accepting the peace treaty is an ultimate betrayal. In protest they strike a deal with the very people that destroyed their homes. It's good drama.

Nyx is also a cool character and Aaron Paul's performance is a slam dunk. In a lot of ways I find the movie to be more interesting than... a lot of the drama in the main game.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I was going to start FFXV a while back, but FFVIIR happened and delayed me by a couple of months. I don't know anymore if it was an unfortunate coincidence or divine intervention, but VIIR now looks to me like a perfect game benchmark, and I can't help comparing the quality and the gameplay convenience to it. I'm aware of the complicated story behind XV and it kind of makes me sad that we ended up having a patchwork of a game instead of a coherent and fascinating story, but ehhhh...

I'm going to leave my impressions here under spoiler tags in case you feel like laughing, facepalming, sympathizing, or shaking your nostalgia with me.

So the tutorial starts with Carbuncle telling Noct that he's in an old training room in the world of his dreams. The game's just started and the level of WTFuckery is already insane :mon: And there we were complaining about the First Soldier trying ultra hard to explain the lore!

Okay, I chose to look at the paintings first and left Noctis standing for a while. The first thing he did was... to fix his hair. That's a vain royal ass alright.

What I liked though was the first-person view from near a wall. You can literally look everywhere. That's neat. Also, the texture on Noct's elbows looks as if they are bruised, another nice touch. Also he can jump!

Carbuncle's stickers that he sends you for completing a tutorial task are hilariously adorable. All those chocobos and hearts and rainbows and fanfares hahahaha gosh :wacky:

The orange numbers indicating increased damage already look familiar after VIIR. The amount of features in the character menu looks overabundant so far. The menu also showed me a possibility of crafting magic spells. Hello Crisis Core with materia fusion :D I hope I'll get a grasp of all of that eventually.

Prompto is probably going to be my spirit animal in terms of clumsiness. When he appeared in the training room, he skidded and landed on his knee in front of Noctis in the least graceful way. I expect a lot of comic relief moments from him in the future.

I can't wait to start the main game, have already watched the opening cutsenes and saved in the middle of nowhere so far. Still can't decide if I like the English voices, or shall I switch to Japanese, or -- you won't believe it -- this FF even has Russian dub! I'm used to seeing very cringeworthy translations and voiceovers in games adapted to the Russian market, so... I might check this one out just to satisfy my curiocity.

P.S. Once again, special thanks to EM who helped make this fun ride possible for me :properhug:

Top Bottom