Forspoken [aka Project Athia]

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Also you............... can choose between imperial or metric.
Best feature. You can switch in FFXV by... changing the game's language! Had to suffer through the distance switching between 1000 feet to some arbitrary fraction of a mile. Wouldn't have even been a problem had they just measured everything in points of a mile, rather than use two incompatible systems.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I've spent two hours in the demo, here's my thoughts:

While it's true more attacks are available through magic parkour, and more unique abilities can be unlocked (like pulling enemies in), I don't believe they're enough to give the combat true depth. There's a few things missing.

In Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, you can mash attack, but you can also pause between button presses to change the combo. In Dynasty Warriors and Valkyrie Elysium, there's a strong attack button, which changes depending on when you press it in a combo.

Forspoken has neither of these. Maybe you can use magic parkour to do a sweet opener, or counterattack after a close dodge, but you'll ultimately fall back on mashing the game's single attack button: R2.

Despite this, I had a blast. Lotta fun to be found here, just don't expect an action game of the year contender.

As mentioned earlier, use left and right on the directional pad to instantly switch magic types. I also recommend going to the Accessibility Settings and changing Magic Parkour Sprinting to Toggle. By default, you have to hold Circle to start magic parkour, which you're going to be doing a lot as you move around the field. However, holding Circle means you lose camera control. By switching it to Toggle, you can initiate magic parkour, then move your thumb back to the analog stick to adjust the camera as needed. Much better.

Also, switch the game to Performance mode! Wild to me that they spent so much time on the animation and effects only to cap it at 30fps by default. Get outta here with that.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Adding my own experience, I think the game feels better with the adaptive triggers turned off. I like adaptive trigger effects and all but here it just adds resistance to a button you constantly push in order to attack and I don't quite understand why. It makes it feel sluggish and unresponsive. Should have been off by default.

There is an option to decrease the amount of banter which I might actually use because the dialogue between Frey and Cuff is uh. A bit naff. :monster:

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
I played through the demo again and did more things and found a cat familiar. If you return to your hut, the cat will appear and nap with you; it's pretty cute. The cats also have unicorn horns. Excellent.

Obviously this isn't all of the magic you'll get in game, but I've found it most effective to just go unga bunga with the flaming sword the whole time and mash R2, and swap to Earth Rock Machine Gun when it's a dumb flying mob. I think the combat wants to be more technical than it really is...? I don't wanna overplay the demo cause then I'm going to cry kick and scream about having to redo this area in the full game lol.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Adding my own experience, I think the game feels better with the adaptive triggers turned off. I like adaptive trigger effects and all but here it just adds resistance to a button you constantly push in order to attack and I don't quite understand why. It makes it feel sluggish and unresponsive. Should have been off by default.

There is an option to decrease the amount of banter which I might actually use because the dialogue between Frey and Cuff is uh. A bit naff. :monster:
Hell yes, the adaptive triggers are exhausting in this demo. I loved them on RE: Village but they were annoying here.

ultima786

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ultima
Man. I played a bit and was disappointed. I might try again and also consider reviews. But combat felt clunky

Reactions: Wol

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
PC Requirements and features revealed.

FmrK4FIaYAAygFa
FmrK7KgacAAk2qN

Reactions: Wol

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's rare to see a game gather such enmity and vitriol over such mundanity but it looks like Forspoken is the new target now. This will be interesting in the most sad way possible.

Like, is the dialogue bad? In some spots, yeah.

But holy shit, it is exaggerated for literally no reason. Jesus Christ. It's like Forspoken is a new Sonic game on pre-release or something :monster:

I hope this hammers the most important lesson into Square Enix's thick skulls now. There is absolutely zero incentive to ever try to localize or write "for the west overseas." Be authentic. Hell, be JRPG cringe. Do not chase fads or try to cater to what they think a modern audience is. Because they can't do it. Authenticity is 10000% more appreciated and accepted than trying to accommodate this... Horribly hamfisted notion of what a Gen Z person sounds like. It is more of a Marvel movie caricature than any person.

The writer here missed and now people are picking at them like vultures.

Last edited:

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
It's rare to see a game gather such enmity and vitriol over such mundanity but it looks like Forspoken is the new target now. This will be interesting in the most sad way possible.

Like, is the dialogue bad? In some spots, yeah.

But holy shit, it is exaggerated for literally no reason. Jesus Christ. It's like Forspoken is a new Sonic game on pre-release or something :monster:

I hope this hammers the most important lesson into Square Enix's thick skulls now. There is absolutely zero incentive to ever try to localize or write "for the west overseas." Be authentic. Hell, be JRPG cringe. Do not chase fads or try to cater to what they think a modern audience is. Because they can't do it. Authenticity is 10000% more appreciated and accepted than trying to accommodate this... Horribly hamfisted notion of what a Gen Z person sounds like. It is more of a Marvel movie caricature than any person.

The writer here missed and now people are picking at them like vultures.
I understand where the criticism comes from but I agree that it became hyperbolic real quick. Maybe because it's a new IP and doesn't have a brand to shield it yet, but FF also had this type of criticism since the dawn of time so who knows...

Edit:

Anyway not looking too good so far

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Based on reviews the game story can finished in about 15 hours, shorter than the standard open world game.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i think i called the dialogue in that infamous twitter trailer “they fly now” dialogue before, and then i saw a clip from the game showing some of that dialogue in context and the same line (“i just moved things with my mind” or something, not in the previous video) was repeated like 5 times with identical wording. just parroting the same thing over and over except one time it adds ‘freaking’ as well.

truly giving “they fly now! (x3)” without even the courtesy of making different characters say it. it’s all the protagonist

i need to make space for the demo but i am strongly considering changing the audio language from english just to have some mental distance and different sensibilities to the dialogue. i don’t think i would take a whole game like that

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Lacking a PS5 I Youtubed the first couple of hours. Seems okay. I don't think there's been an actual problem with the dialogue, she's unnecessarily quippy, but that's standard protagonist personality. I think you could almost say it's a more realistic reaction to being suddenly dragged into a fantasy world than usual.

Meme criticisms can snowball fast and get very cruel.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Looks like the demo received another update in the meantime? Booted it up and it seems the graphics might have been improved? The sky used to look very overexposed and it's been toned down quite a bit.

Last edited:

Maidenofwar

They/Them
A streamer I watch got a SE code so they streamed this for a bit which I was able to watch some of and yeah it looked fine. One complaint I've read since is the game might be too short to justify the price tag (people were saying 20hrs~? counting side content) which I think is a more legitimate complaint than other stuff. People feel the game feels kind of unfinished and not as polished as it could have been. I thought the game looked a good time when I watched some of it on stream though and still might pick it up in a sale sometime.

Last edited:
Top Bottom