Game of Thrones

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Great way to introduce both Oberyn and Dornish culture. That's probably one of the trickiest things the show is going to have to do. The books grind to a halt for about 25 pages in both ASOS and AFFC to explain how Dorne is different. This episode said a lot with a little. Well done.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I finally got this tossed up on a Hard Drive, so I watched the first two episodes last night. I'll jump into this thread properly once I've properly caught up.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Finished Season 1: T'was decent, and nothing very unexpected occurred. Hopefully I'll get through the next two seasons as quickly, so as to be up-to-date with everyone else.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Well tbf the big event in season 1
that being Ned getting killed
was a big twist in book one but well he's portrayed in the series by
Sean Bean
and that obviously lessens the surprise.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Well tbf the big event in season 1
that being Ned getting killed
was a big twist in book one but well he's portrayed in the series by
Sean Bean
and that obviously lessens the surprise.

TBQH, I saw that coming miles away.

Why Ned's Death Didn't Surprise Me:
• If anyone tells Jon Snow, "We'll talk about it when I see you next." they're clearly going to die/disappear, because he's the tragic character.
• Little Finger's unrequited crush on Catelyn doesn't serve a purpose in the grand scheme of the story unless Ned is out of the picture, plus, there's no chance for using it as leverage unless the two of them are on opposing factions, so his betrayal was surprising for about 0.02 seconds.
• Additionally, Joffrey used it as a moment to distinguish himself from Cersei's control under him, and as a much-needed reality check for Sansa's star-struck-early-teenage-girl-syndrome.

Character-Specific Thoughts:
• Jon Snow is our connection to the larger confrontation in the North, with the White Walkers, Giants, Spiders, & who knows what other real Fantasy-type things.
• Daenerys is our connection to Dragons and the larger initially non-Game-Of-Throne-ing peoples out in god-knows-where land. Also, she's the "overcoming adversity" type hero who survives lots of hardship in a juxtaposition to Jon Snow.
• Rob Stark as the "King of the North" clearly indicates the emergence of the dragons as being something that they'll fall in line behind at some juncture, since that's when they last something-something with a main king, so he's the conduit to the conflict between the Starks & the Lannisters (with Catelyn also being there, but with deeper connections to other things not yet set in motion).
• Tyrion Lannister is our new positive connection to King's Landing as the Hand, and someone to hopefully give Joffrey a little bit of slapping around, since he's the only one of the Lannisters who acts with very clear guidelines and motivations aside from his father (who I don't have a lot of opinions about at present).
• Arya Stark is a little headstrong, and her trip is taking her towards Jon, but I kinda feel like there's more development on the underpinnings of different things coming through her arc, since the Blacksmith kid is tagging along with her.
• Bran Stark, Hodor, & that Wildling lady are there as a connection to some of the deeper metaphysical mythology that we're learning about. TBQH, I'd expected him to die early on, and his survival and new role was probably the most unexpected thing that happened all season.
• Catelyn's crazy sister clearly serves some larger purpose in the grand scheme of things, though at this point, I haven't the faintest idea as to what they might be.

Overall, I find myself analyzing the story-centric mechanics behind all of the characters in the show vastly more than I focus on anything that they say or do within the context of their characters beyond loose general guidelines to how they act. I'll be interested to see if that keeps up in the next seasons. I've pretty much resigned myself to having my favorite characters only being the Dragons at this point, though I do enjoy some of the other characters' stories (Arya, Tyrion, Jon, & Daenerys), I'm pretty much distrustful of most anyone given the scenarios of betrayal & such that surround the Game of Thrones. I'm curious whether or not the Dragons' personalities are affected by the lives sacrificed to bring them to life - since I believe that's how that worked out - Her son, Khal Drogo, & the Witch (or Drogo's Horse, not sure on that) all died as a part of either the blood magic used by the Witch, or in the funeral pyre that seems to have revived them.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Glad you're enjoying it X :monster:

This is fascinating. While it's about Sunday's episode, I don't think there are any major spoilers in it.

Also:

f6425a7b8e778080e91c629a27d8159e.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
• Arya did have another really interesting arc with her trip entirely unrelated to reaching Jon Snow, as expected - what with the bastard son of the old King being the only survivor of that line and all. I quite QUITE enjoyed her little clever servant escapades Tywin Lannister, but the final scene with the faceless man was the fucking coolest. Oh my science. Agsjdbwhzifvessiicbebsgeux
• The Theon Greyjoy subplot was unbelievably petty and 100% obnoxious. It also felt like a strange waste of time, just to send Hodor, the Wilding, & the little Starks up north in place of Arya. Maybe something'll come of it since he got black bagged.
• Tyrion's rise & fall from power was obvious, given that he's pretty much a good character amongst the asshats, but the bit with the Tyrells & Lannisters at the end was foreshadowed, but I didn't expect it until I saw her brother. Still more proof that Sansa is daft and that the Hound is surprisingly more interesting than expected. Tyrion is still a badass & I'm curious what he'll be getting up to next - especially with the Tyrells around.
• I dug the bit with Jon Snow & the Wildlings and look forward to how that plays out. Also, the White Walkers finally showing up puts the bigger things at play. Hooray for the free vs. wild conversation.
• Magic being stronger with Daenerys & the Warlocks was interesting, (as was the bit with the Red Priestess & the Shadow). I was a little confused by the betrayal of her handmaiden who loved dragons as that was very last minute and not well fleshed out. It was interesting to see the Dothraki following her back to being raiders in the end.
• Robb Stark's little love story was surprisingly sweet especially with their little wedding at the end - i.e. doomed to future consequences & huge tragedy, but I liked it nonetheless. The random "meet a girl somewhere on a battlefield/wilderness as a sudden love interest" was a little heavy this season.
• Catelyn's suddenly a damned fool, but seeing jackass Jamie & the amazing Lady Knight together is too hilarious. They should be in a medieval buddy cop film together.

Curious if we'll be getting a shitton of new folks again in Season 3 or if we're pretty much locked in on the big players now.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Guys the
purple wedding is tonight. That little shithead Joffrey is finally going to die, very painfully too. It's going to be awesome.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I'm going to take a moment out of my generally very composed bearing to say AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thank you for your time.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm only going to watch this episode tomorrow, so, :monster:.

Also I think the non-hipster fans that didn't read the book before it was mainstream will love the episode. As will the hipsters. :monster:

Also, S4 needs more hodor.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

That was basically my expression throughout the episode before
that little shithead Joffrey was finally killed. It was awesome, I'm still laughing.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
• Knew something big happened on the second-to-last episode, and the Red Wedding title made it rather obvious. The war was turning too unfocused and before the very real threat from the north hits (which is any time now), the main Westeros forces need to be consolidated, and an attack on Castley Rock would mean more sociopolitical drama with King's Landing (mostly Tyrian and Sansa), and given the current state of affairs, that doesn't make sense. Also, all the foreshadowing with Robb & his bride, the guy who let Jamie go, and also Arya being too close made for some VERY HEAVY foreshadowing to the event.
• Was expecting the Wildlings to meet up with Hodor & Co. but interesting to see that go another way, especially with Jon Snow & his bride parting ways, especially after all his concerns about fathering a bastard.
• Still cba to give any fucks about any of Theon Greyjoy's storyline.
• Tywin is one HELL of a viper, and given that, I expect that Joffrey will be out of the picture soon, 'cause he's serving little to no purpose now, and the more serious battle of the kingdoms is about to happen and he doesn't factor into that type of conflict (plus there's that leech if that actually makes any difference).
• Daenerys is coming closer now that she has an army, and will probably end up saving the kingdom for herself (the whole fire & ice bit).
• Hoping that Arya will use that coin soon.
• Wondering when the mythologies about the Brotherhood without Banners, The Boratheon's Red Lady, and the Spider's captive sorcerer will all finally explain what the Lord of Light actually is.

Two more hours and I'll be all caught up!!

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Joff, Joff, it rhymes with cough.

Rains of Castamere

also,
tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o1_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o2_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o3_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o4_250.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
• I giggled like a schoolgirl when Arya killed the guy who took Needle.
• The Dorns are most excellent. I look forward to more of their badassery now that there're other properly powerful families converging in on King's Landing (needed for the large scale conflict on the way). Also glad that they'll have some AMAZING leverage against Cersei, thanks to Tyrion sending Marcella there. I look forward to more confrontations with them with glee.
• Well, Joffrey's dead, but I saw that coming a ways off, and it's still very low on my give-a-fucks list, as no one's killed Cersei yet - which I'd 100000000x rather have seen. Not to mention, Ramsay Snow is far and away taken the reigns as the new "Joffrey" long before the wedding in terms of obnoxious sadistic little fucks who need killing. That being said - gotta love the Tyrells (like that burn at Jamie over marrying Cersei). I've been waiting for them to make their move, as it was clearly orchestrated by them. Sucks thay Tyrion took the fall for it, but he's obviously on the downward swing of his character arc this season, and the Spider won't let him go so easily - especially not after failing Ned Stark.
• There's finally confirmation about why they were called the Warg Woods, and the idea of speaking to the old gods at them confirmed a suspicion I'd developed but neglected to mention. One of those trees being in Winterfell makes sense for Bran inheriting those powers. That plus the Lord of Light stuff hitting from the get go makes me think we'll get more explanation on the old/new/two gods.
• I find the passage of time with Daenerys to be hard to keep track of, since the dragons seem to get bigger in massive leaps. Cool to see them big, but confusing as to when her travels take place and over how long, especially with Jamie mentioning it having been weeks since he's returned. (Also, I think it's weird that the Lannisters' hair seems to get more brown the less of an obnoxious cunt they're being).

UNTIL NEXT WEEK THEN!!!

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
also,
tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o1_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o2_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o3_250.gif

tumblr_n402dtng8M1qa0n48o4_250.gif

I was searching for someone to have made a gifset of that last night on tumblr but no one had before I went to bed.
As I knew going in that she's the mastermind behind Joffrey's death when she said that I said "Oh Olenna you trollish devil." :awesome:

My reactions...

*The end of Cersei and Brienne's conversation* -> OH SHIT BRIENNE YOU SO DEAD NOW. Ok I don't know if Brienne will die, but dayum, she is in some deep shit now.

*Joffrey's death face* -> Huh. His outside finally matches what he looked like on the inside.

*Bran Stark touching the tree* -> What's up with these random vision and memories? Heck, I can't remember anymore just why Bran is going north.

*Shae being sent away* -> I can't buy that she is completely gone from the picture. She has to return somehow, either as a corpse after being hanged on Tywin's orders or in some other dramatic fashion. I'd like it if the show surprised me and there was no word or sight of her again.

EDIT:

Pp6dDUN.gif

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yes, the little shit finally got it coming! A troll on Twitter spoiled me this morning, but that just made me look forward to the episode even more. I also kind of
knew that Olenna was behind the killing. Pretty much from the last season, I had my suspicions she was going to be the mastermind behind that. I was absolutely happy to read that it IS her. My first guess without checking it was actually Sansa, but the gif of Olenna saying that to her and then it clicked almost immediately.

Also, please. No killing Cersei. Like, ever. She's the one in this episode I enjoyed the most because Lena Headey is absolutely fabulous playing this bitch. I'm also really beginning to enjoy watching Ramsey now. Whoever said it is right, he's going to become the new villain we love to hate.

Can't wait to see the storylines that kick off from here. I really want Tyrion to get his happy ever after, but of course with him being accused of poisoning Joffrey, that's far off. :monster:

It's one of the few episodes without Dany that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Top Bottom