General Anime Thread

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I just skimmed the last 5 pgs of the thread and how has no one mentioned Madoka Magica??

Although, it has been a sausage fest in here...

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I finished the series last year but then saw that Netflix has the 3 movies and was like score!! Will probably watch them tonight or tomorrow

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I just assume everyone's already seen it and it's long past talking about. It's like saying "Hey have any of you guys seen this Dragon Ball series? " :monster:

I loved Madoka though, maybe it's time for a rewatch.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
Well excuuuuuuuse me (princess), not all of us watch them las soon as they're out ike undubbed purists. :wacky:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Madoka is old, but it's huge and kind of a given so I kind of ignored it in discussion. I've met more anime fans that trip themselves over Madoka than otherwise, although there's a good reason. It's a great series, although I have no interest in the movies, the series was perfect for me.

Episode 10, Homura's episode, was one of the best episodes I've seen in a long while.

Although, it has been a sausage fest in here...
?

Anyway for the current season
Guys have you heard this awesome manga Gangsta being adapted into an anime this July? I read the manga's chapters till 12 and they're long but the drawings are slick and pretty damn ace. Give it a look when it debuts.
Late but yes. I really enjoyed Gangsta, terrible name and all, really happy to see it have an anime, I hope it stays faithful.

I'm getting into Kekkai Sensen and it has a distinct Durarara feel, which I enjoyed the latter and when I watch more of the first I'm sure I'll like even more. Which reminds me, Drr! is getting a sequel- they really shouldn't have split the season. There's too many characters, too much buildup that should have reached a conclusion right afterwards.

Gatchaman is also getting a sequel which is... I actually don't know how I feel. Gatchaman was weird, it felt like it was highly experimental and was trying to say something but I don't know what. I might watch the sequel because it was nothing if not interesting. I think.

The other interesting title looks... kind of uninteresting. Chaos Dragon is an anime adaptation of a... tabletop or something. The interesting thing is that it's got big names behind it, like the writer who did Madoka and s1 of Psycho Pass for example, the guy who wrote Durarara, and the guy who wrote Fate/Stay, which sounds really awesome which is weird why the series looks so generic.

It kinds of reminds me of the Bahumut series not too long ago, which was flipping fantastic from the few episodes I've seen, but was adapted from a card game, it feels like people are just grabbing big names to these series and letting them do their magic on what is essentially a blank piece of paper.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Just finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders.

Not entirely happy with the pacing - a little bit too much filler and definitely attempting to stay as true to the material as possible to fit all the enemy Stand users in detracted from the show in a way, but it was fun enough all the way to the end! Great OPs, but EDs nowhere near the first two with Roundabout by Yes.

A lot of plot ass-pulls imo, but I still found myself saying "fair enough" many times. The series adheres to its universes rules most of the time in mostly sensible ways, and the characters bend to its will, as opposed to some other shonen power hours that bend the universe's rules to fit the convenience of its characters.

So tl;dr good series, not fantastic. The first two seasons so far have been the best out of the lot - better-paced, well-contained, and Joseph Joestar is still the best JoJo out of the lot so far. Jotaro is a bit of a Gary Stu (in the good sort of way, that, say, Alucard from Hellsing is).

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Until a proper translation tells me otherwise,
Part 5 will have the biggest ass pulls in the series
:monster:

I think David Productions looked at the OVAs and went,"fuck it, we can't compete with that animation," and just put their budget into all the Polnareff fights.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I got my hands on Gangsta episode 1 and it was wonderful. Alex benedetto is soo pretty and I feel like shit seeing her scenes. Good thing
she joins the badass Handymen at the end of the episode.
Nicolas Brown and Warwick/Worick are one of the finest Badasses in town this year that I'd love to see fight against Ladd russo and Shizuo at best.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I've heard some really good things about Gangsta, gonna check it out sometime!

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
I wouldn't have thought anyone here watched Madoka Magica. I'm a pretty big fan of the series myself.
GOODS!! ^^
3ZtKuFXl.jpg
The Madoka films are pretty good. The first 2 films retold the tv series; though I'd watch the first film because of the extra stuff and lots of reanimated shots.

Other than that, I haven't seen much of anything else lately. I need to catch up on The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, and recently I saw Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade where I participated in Studio Trigger's Kickstarter a couple years back. Caught my name at the ending credits too. :)

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Okay so I need some help. My list of recommended Anime (from various sources) has come to an end and I need something, stat. I need something I can get emotionally invested in that has a beginning and an end. Who here can help me?

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Did you clear ALL THE JOJOS

edit: That eng dub is ehhhhhhhhhhh it's aight, Stardust Crusaders had a better one

(It sure as shit isn't no Tomokazu Sugita)

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is the most fucking stupendous shonen I've seen in the last few years. If you want to discover some of the very first cultural roots of fighting manga/anime series, this is the show to start with!

Animexcel

Pro Adventurer
Okay so I need some help. My list of recommended Anime (from various sources) has come to an end and I need something, stat. I need something I can get emotionally invested in that has a beginning and an end. Who here can help me?

Not sure what you've seen so far, but I'll name some off the top of my head.

Redline
redline-anime-wallpaper.png

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
banner_351.jpg

Patema Inverted
Patema-Inverted-Official-Film-Poster-Cropped-01-600x342.png

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
shouldn't the title be changed to this year? just saying...
---
finally looking at steins;gate. holy COW loving this show!

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Yeah, can we get a mod on it ples? :3

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
shouldn't the title be changed to this year? just saying...
---
finally looking at steins;gate. holy COW loving this show!
I keep hearing the occasional thing, plus it's on Netflix. What's it all about?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
So after curiously watching the first two episodes I got sucked into Steinsgate and binged on it. I just finished it this evening and it was one hell of a ride <3

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Have you seen Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki? It's a movie, but it's damn good, in my opinion. :monster:

Also, older series so not sure if you've already seen it, but Jyu Oh Sei? Ever hear of that? It's amazing.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I've seen neither so I shall watch that movie tonight and report back. ^_^

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
Ooh yeah, let me know what you think of it! It's quite endearing. :)

Jyu Oh Sei (Planet of the Beast King) is a Sci-fi series, I was hooked on the first episode. It's not very long, but definitely worth watching, if you like sci-fi.

Top Bottom