General Anime Thread

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Man, what a let down. :'/ even then it is merely a Beat em up type of game rather than something hard drama or intriguing as the MMOs I mentioned. I thought there'd be one as dramatic or as decent with SAO vibes or Log Horizon's type.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Netlfix UK has recently got a crap tonne of Anime on.

I'm currently halfway through Sword Art Online and I'm loving everything about it. Amazing characters and story.

I've started watching Attack on Titan too but can't really get into it, I'm only 3 episodes in to it but the main protagonists is really annoying me all he seems to do is whine on and on and complain, I hoe it changes further in to the episodes.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I've finished both Sword Art Online and it's arc Alfheim Online and loved all of it. I haven't watched many Animes outside of Pokemon and DBZ :monster: but this is perhaps one of the best I've seen. Characters were brilliant the story was gripping throughout both arcs.

I've noticed online that people disliked the role Asuna played in ALO which I can understand (not going into any spoilers for people who haven't seen it yet) but the role totally fits her in that arc of the story but I did prefer SAO more than ALO but I like how they tied it all up at the end of the season.

Not sure if I'll watch Season two until it's on Netflix or an English Dub is released on Blu -Ray in the UK

Would definitely recommend this show to people especially if you are into MMORPGS and such.

Now to try and get into Attack on Titan.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
So...I've been snooping scouring ebay for some complete anime collections and by golly...there is a major flood of bootleg stuff. I started off looking for all three seasons of Rurouni Kenshin but my hopes of obtaining real/authentic box sets are starting to dwindle. The only set that looks promising is the Premium edition, of which there are three boxes (one for each season), and those are going for roughly $50-100 per box. I'm keeping my search results within the US because 90% of the anime for sale on ebay is from Malaysia. :(

So, I came up with two ideas...my first idea was to come here and ask where do you all buy your anime, and is there a website that sells out of print stuff like Rurouni Kenshin at a reasonable price?
I've basically searched the whole internet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My second idea was to go to the swap meet tomorrow, buy an old jewelry box with 5"x5" drawers (the perfect snuggly size for a CD), paint a picture of Kenshin on the box, and...yes...make my own Rurouni Kenshin box set (and then marry Kenshin Himura). :closedmonster:

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
So...I've been snooping scouring ebay for some complete anime collections and by golly...there is a major flood of bootleg stuff. I started off looking for all three seasons of Rurouni Kenshin but my hopes of obtaining real/authentic box sets are starting to dwindle. The only set that looks promising is the Premium edition, of which there are three boxes (one for each season), and those are going for roughly $50-100 per box. I'm keeping my search results within the US because 90% of the anime for sale on ebay is from Malaysia. :(

So, I came up with two ideas...my first idea was to come here and ask where do you all buy your anime, and is there a website that sells out of print stuff like Rurouni Kenshin at a reasonable price?
I've basically searched the whole internet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

My second idea was to go to the swap meet tomorrow, buy an old jewelry box with 5"x5" drawers (the perfect snuggly size for a CD), paint a picture of Kenshin on the box, and...yes...make my own Rurouni Kenshin box set (and then marry Kenshin Himura). :closedmonster:

I go on Amazon and my local flea market and resale stores.

My flea market has the complete set of Smaurai X in great condition for a great price(too bad I lack the funds).

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I worry about bootlegs on Amazon (same as with ebay), especially since a lot of sellers might not even realize that what they're selling isn't original. :[

I did go to the swap meet today and didn't find anything I was looking for. That always happens when you're looking for something. ;___;

There is a website with some potential called CDjapan. It's a little pricey, but they have some really awesome box sets. Has anyone here used CDjapan before?

Oh, and I took out Claymore but have yet to start watching. ^.^

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
CDJapan is a legit retailer.
In the past, I've perused YesAsia and Play-Asia.com. Prices aren't fantastic but that's importing for ya.

My suggestion is to find out which companies are responsible for distributing in your region, and then find out through them how they're retailing it online or in stores. Sony, Bandai, Funimation blah blah blah.

eBay is (obviously) garbage.

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Attack on Titian gets way better as the series goes... or at least, the manga does...

Claymore... the manga wasn't bad, but I felt it suffered from having to many different sides/factions that didn't have enough differences between them. After a while I was just reading it to see how the good guys won.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
http://artbooksnat.tumblr.com/page/2[/spoiler]

originals from the artbook by Takayuki Goto. dang it here i am trying not to weep again.

---------
am on S2 of little busters. a pretty good anime i must say! can't wait to see how it ends.

---------
the translators of the Kuroshitsuji Book of Murder movie are awfully slow. it was released on DVD this wednesday but seriously guys. it's just 3 episode's worth. you've done much worse than that i'm sure. sheez....

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
They must be doing some heavy marketing for the psycho pass movie because my father (who has spent the past 4ish years in Japan) saw a line and decided to stand in it because he was curious, and got a psycho pass number (two of them). Not knowing what the hell it was, he texted my brother and was like "What is this?" and my brother laughed and explained what a psycho pass was and that his numbers (140 and 200) made him a latent criminal.

My dad was like "sounds about right." But he also said he wasn't the only old guy standing in the line. I guess it's popular with an older crowd as well?

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
So yep, episode 7 of attack on titan has pretty much got me hooked.

I'm also going to start watching fairy tail as I just found out that Michael Jones from Rooster Teeth and achievement hunter voices one of the characters. This automatically makes that character (Sting who is a bad guy) NY favourite. :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
^ I recommend watching Baccano!~ and Durarara!!~ these two are like Snatch/Pulp Fiction for anime.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
They must be doing some heavy marketing for the psycho pass movie because my father (who has spent the past 4ish years in Japan) saw a line and decided to stand in it because he was curious, and got a psycho pass number (two of them). Not knowing what the hell it was, he texted my brother and was like "What is this?" and my brother laughed and explained what a psycho pass was and that his numbers (140 and 200) made him a latent criminal.

My dad was like "sounds about right." But he also said he wasn't the only old guy standing in the line. I guess it's popular with an older crowd as well?
This story is hilarious xD. I finished watching the first series of Psycho Pass a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely adored it but worried about moving on to another season. I feel like if I enjoy the ending of something too much then I'm turned off the idea of continuing further with it. I'd probably need some hefty convincing to jump into season 2.

I've been on a major anime binge lately and it's not stopping anytime soon. Today I finished Gurren Lagann and blimey was that a good series. After the first couple of episodes I was enjoying it but not heavily invested. After that though it fell into an outright binge. How the show manages to continuously ramp up in it's anime-parodying way and still hold an engaging story with lovable characters is totally beyond me. Added it to my list of 'things people ought to have forced me to watch by now'.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
You might like watching Kill La Kill and FLCL if Gurren Lagann was your cup of tea. I like both, but I preferred FLCL a little more. The fanservice in KLK sometimes seriously detracts from the quality of the show.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I finished watching KLK a little while before I started Gurren Lagann. Friggen loved KLK. Not taking that show too seriously is the key to seriously enjoying it.

What's FLCL?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Hay guise wots goin on in dis thrad? :monster?

I dunno if its even allowed for me to ask (in which case feel free to ignore this) but does anyone know any good sites where I can watch anime without having to pay and stuff? Streaming not downloads? Theeeenks.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
This is FLCL. It's fuckin great :monster:

Generally the free online streaming stuff tends to be a grey area since distributors often try to stop them from popping up but I think a lot of the stuff that gets through is all fansubs.

There are a ton of sites out there that a google search can help out with though, and they're mostly the same - lots of advertising and sometimes, poor categorisation of video hosting =P

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
You linked a dubbed trailer. Am I to take this to mean you want me to watch DUBBED anime? :o
The only dubbed anime I could ever watch was DBZ (because high-pitched voices for huge manly men is a little odd) and FMA because their voice cast was stellar.

Thanks Satsu-feis, I shall make this my next.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Both sub and dub is fine :monster: I don't usually have a preference either way (unless the dub is poorly done, in which case I just go for subs).

Subs are much easier to find, though.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
I still prefer SpeeeedowahGOOOOAWNNNNN

Top Bottom