General Anime Thread

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
^Actually, for this season, one that I've been enjoying much is Thunderbolt Fantasy, the new weird project of Gen Urobuchi with the team of Taiwanese puppeteers. Not actually an anime but you can't really classify that with anything else.
From your list, I've been following 91 days and Alderamin on the Sky, which I find enjoyable but on a level below the ones I mentioned before. My SO enjoyed Re: Life, but that wasn't really for me.

To be honest I was only refering to the current season, Re:Zero is probably the only show up there with Erased and One Punch Man from this season, although I'm a sucker for romances and have a lot of faith in Orange, if your SO liked Re:Life get them to try Orange if they haven't already.

Also honourable mentions for best 2016 should go to Kiznaiver and Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, they were both brilliant shows but just not quite good enough to beat Erades or Re:Zero.

Is the Thunder Bolt Fantasy the show with the animated puppet/figures? I gave the first episode a go,couldn't really get into it, but it's definitely a unique approach, it kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and used to try and make films with our action figures with my mate on his dads camcorder, but done like 1000x better.

Re:Zero pretty much wants to just kick the crap out of Subaru, and even when other characters die, the only thing that would really turn heads is what's done to him. The show is pretty nice to its waifus, minus the deaths, they aren't prolonged torture like done to Subaru.

While I agree with the majority of what you said I do feel that Rem gets her fair share of brutal deaths, especially in this latter part of the series the biggest difference being that unlike Suberu she doesn't remember them or suffer from PTSD, but you are right in regards to the rest of the cast.

I definitely agree that Gantz and Berserk are a peg above Re:Zero in terms of brutality, the difference being in Gantz that I wasn't really emotionally invested in any of the characters, so I didn't mind the deaths so much so in this sense Re:Zero was able to leave a lasting impression emotionally. On the other hand I was very invested in the characters in Berserk, and that famous scene was nealy Red Wedding (GoT) tier shit in how it hit me emotionally.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Is the Thunder Bolt Fantasy the show with the animated puppet/figures? I gave the first episode a go,couldn't really get into it, but it's definitely a unique approach, it kind of reminds me of when I was a kid and used to try and make films with our action figures with my mate on his dads camcorder, but done like 1000x better.
Yes, that's the one. I understand that something like a puppet show may not be easy to get into. Besides, I've found the speed/frame rate of action scenes a bit disconcerting at first. I've been impressed by how the show was made (how the puppeteers manage to breathe life into the characters, the action scenes, and all the special effects - be it on stage effects or CG overlays), and I really enjoy the cast of characters (the main antihero protagonist, namely). I wonder how long the series is going to run.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Still need to watch Gantz. I am reading the newish manga.

Re:Zero is my fav of 2016. Episode 15 is my fav because of the ending sequence.

hian

Purist
Re:Zero relevant :
04f.jpg

@Kuja :

You should read Gantz if nothing else - especially now as the manga is finished.
Don't bother with the movies or the anime.
The anime doesn't even cover more than 1 arc or so of the manga, and the movies butchered the plot.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
So I started watching Fate/Stay Night the other week thinking it was the first arc of the Fate series. I was wrong. I got about 4 episodes in until I realised Fate/Zero is the first series, So I'm going to start watching that before going back to Fate/Stay

Also really want to watch Re:Zero but my list is getting to big for things to watch.

Sick of waiting for the Tataros Arc of Fairy Tail to be dubbed and I can't help but read Manga for events way later in to the show. I hate myself right now.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Why wait for the dub when you have the sub?:monster:

I've thought about that and I don't mind the sub, but i've follewed the dub since day 1. I'd rather wait and enjoy it with the VAs I've listened to and grew to love.

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I hope you wasn't watching the original (old) Fate/Stay Night Marcus, cos it's pretty terrible.
Fate/Zero is a prequel but it's still good to watch it first.
Make sure when you finish Zero you watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Fate/Zero is a prequel but it's still good to watch it first.
Make sure when you finish Zero you watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. [/I]

Clarification, watch the TV series, not the movie of the same name.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Oh fuck yeah forgot about that.
Watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014-2015) the TV SERIES.

Watch order for Fate is hard. :closedmonster:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
No

Watch
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Ignore
Fate/Stay Night
Unlimited Blade Works (THE MOVIE)

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Thank you. The order/watchability of that franchise has confused the hell out of me. I think I did start with Zero though because it seemed first. But I haven't touched it in a long time, so I'd probably have to restart anyway.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Due to the weird nature of Fate/Zero (It's a prequel but the recent Fate/Stay:UBW series was produced AFTER it) the series' kind of rely on each other to fill in some blanks in the lore. It's a bit annoying because Zero expects you to know the basics of FSN and FSN expects you to have seen Zero.

Otherwise Zero > UBW is the way to go.

Also watch Carnival Phantasm afterwards because it's a crack/comedy series that follows these characters, with the VAs all returning to poke fun of the universe. :monster:

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
So I just watched the first season of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Holy shit what an epic journey. XD

It has helped me appreciate this video even more.

I've just started watching it, I'm up to like ep 4, the character writing is on point, I hate Dio so god damn much!

Oh fuck yeah forgot about that.
Watch Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014-2015) the TV SERIES.

Watch order for Fate is hard. :closedmonster:

It's all these alternate routes the story can take, I agree though Fate Unlimited Blade Works (TV) is definitely the best route.

At least it's not as confusing as Monogatarai or Haruhi those shows are all over the place.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Finally finished Neon Genesis Evangelion and End Of Evangelion.

I saw EoE yrs ago and couldn't remember.

I turned off my brain for those endings.

Just finished watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

- Jotaro is so wooden he makes Keanu Reeves look like a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man.

- I felt almost none of the magic from the first season. I just kept watching because I wanted to see everything that led up to Dio's demise.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Rurouni Kenshin. So far, they're doing a really good job of painting a country post civil war full of damaged and broken people.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Stardust Crusaders suffers from a pretty bad Villain Of The Week syndrome in terms of pacing. There's a lot of shit to go through and a lot of duds lifted from the manga. Personally I didn't find it too bad, but I could definitely see it being a problem for a lot of people.

I definitely think it didn't need to be longer than Battle Tendency, but at least the climax episodes are decent. The OPs are amazing, though.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
So Re:Zero was pretty awesome.
Glad you enjoyed it :)
Btw, it's really worth re-watching, you can spot many foreshadowing / Chekhov's gun kind of details.

Alas it's going to take forever before the light novels get translated, and for another possible anime season to be made :(

Miscreant

FoolISH
AKA
Pinkfish, Fish
I loved the end to Re:Zero so much, has to be between Re:Zero and One Punch Man for show of the year, at least for me anyway.

The ending to Orange was really nice too, I think this season turned out to be pretty strong, I can't wait for the final episode of Mob Psyco 100 tonight, thats been another great show this season.

Has anyone looked through next seasons line-up yet? Any shows I should keep an eye out for?

Oh yeah Season 2 of One Punch Man was announced for next year \o/

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Has anyone looked through next seasons line-up yet? Any shows I should keep an eye out for?
I heard there was a new season of Natsume's Book of Friends (Natsume Yuujinchou) scheduled, I am going to follow that at the very least (it's slice-of-life mixed with supernatural, and I'd say the overall mood is "cute" - I think around 3-4 seasons have been released in the past, so you can already check what the show is like).
Otherwise, I just plan to check out a bunch of "episode 1" and see what sticks :P

Top Bottom