Guardians of the Galaxy

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I want to go see this with my brother and he's all for it, but he keeps lying that he's seen the first when I clearly know he hasn't. :monster:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Seent it, and agree it is better than the first. Just all-around damn excellent with credits full of greatness and a ton of really damn good development. I'll gush in spoilery specifics at a later point, but now is for sleep.

X :neo:

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Absolutely loved it! The action was great, the characterisation was really good, and the humour was simply on point. Drax is my MVP of the film - he had some seriously great lines that had the entire cinema laughing out loud.

I also tried that 4DX thing for the very first time ... sheesh, what a waste of money.

My only real complaint with it,
is the golden race is basically functionless. Just to get the Ravagers involved and have some space battles. As a opposing force, they suck. When an entire fleet surrounding one mining ship and unloading for 10/20 seconds can't destroy it, and gets wiped out in seconds, they are pathetic. They must be firing rubber bullets or something, cause even that many regular bullets would have ripped it to shreds, let alone energy blasts.

I really enjoyed it though. Not sure if it's better than the first, but at least on par.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The brother and I saw this today, really enjoyed it. I think it's slightly better than the first.

Baby Groot was too damn hilarious. :awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Did everyone spot Jeff Goldblum dancing in the credits? :P
I did! I was wondering if it was him at first and then realised because there's not many people who could pull that off. :monster:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Re: that article... Telling the "truest and most honest story possible" means replacing content with gags? It means having Drax crash through a forest with no armor, getting hit by 300mph splintering trees, landing without a scratch and shouting "That was awesome" ? It's Star-Lord warning them not to trifle with the golden people, then calling their high priestess "repulsive" ? That's the writer-directors idea of an honest story? This movie was a cartoon -- more specifically, it was a Family Guy episode. Maybe a quarter of the jokes landed, which was a lot of jokes because there were so many -- so many jokes! At the expense of realism or personality. Any cohesive center of the story was muddied beyond my ability to see it.

To top it all off, two out of three of the female characters are unforgivably mistreated by the script. Oh my god, the body shaming. First of all, a man making a woman feel ashamed of her body is not funny to me. Secondly, the "joke" relies on the audience buying into the magazine-idea of beauty, and we are to laugh at both the victim and her abuser, Drax, whose preference for women "with meat on their bones" makes him wrong and pitiable. And it's a recurring gag and one of the last beats of the film - even interrupting a funeral (there were a lot of gags interrupting what should have been honest moments: Hasselhoff's cameo pulled so much focus that I stopped caring about Quill's emotional turning point).

In the first GotG, they make a point of not-going-in-a-romance direction with Gamora and Star-Lord, which was (unfortunately) pretty ballsy for Hollywood and now I'm convinced that Gunn had nothing to do with it. Of course they get together at the end of this movie. She HAS to come around to him. He's the man! It doesn't matter that he's at his adoptive father's funeral, let's call-back to an earlier meta joke (ugh) about how romance over a franchise can threaten ratings. Thanks, movie. It wasn't bad enough that you couldn't stand to have people of opposite genders in a platonic relationship, you had to condescend to me as well?

What makes this worse is that after the original meta-joke (the *hurk* dancing scene) Star-Lord and Ego (hey I get it) are talking about Gamora when she isn't around, Ego referring to her as "your girl" and Quill failing to correct him - even though Gamora has up-until-that-point refused Quill's advances and stated that she only wants a friendship, which, even if that weren't true you should still respect her enough not to call her "your girl" behind her back. I was hoping beyond hope that Quill would have learned that his desire to conquer Gamora was just his (heh) ego, and that by opposing the magic goop-flower empire of his father, he would realize that he doesn't need to control other people in order to be happy... but nope. By having her slide into his arms at the end of the film, the film is teaching the men watching that it doesn't matter what she says or does, if you want her she is yours -- she just doesn't know it yet.

It's clear that Vol. 2 was written by a dude. I thought Nicole Perlman had returned to co-write but it became painfully obvious early on that I was getting untempered dude-thoughts.

I only saw the first GotG last week in preparation for the new one. I absolutely adored the first one. The mood whiplash here was intense. Vol. 2 suffers from the normal sequel-itis and I can't even fault it for doing the perfunctory mystery-dad plot -- paint-by-numbers though it was. I felt like all of the interactions were plastic and unmotivated -- and it wasn't the actors, it was the script, which Gunn designed as a vehicle for Fun! Jokes! and Action! It was manic, and exhausting to watch.

Baby Groot was fine. Why did teenage Groot have enough intelligence to play a game boy? Why did Quill understand what he was saying? Why did Baby Groot say "Welcome to the Guardians of the Fucking Galaxy"? Does "I am Groot" actually translate to things like wookiee language?? I thought Rocket was interpreting Groots meaning based on inflection/his own projection, not because each "I am Groot" is actually a complex sentence in another... language? I thought Groot was a plant intelligence. Why does Quill understand what he's saying? Because it's funny?

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
A few things:

Drax is ridiculously, superhumanly durable (and was also wearing one of those force field space suits at the time). Additionally, the bit about him finding Mantis unattractive is because he literally doesn't as he's a different species, but is also using it as a way of explaining a larger point about how people must clearly perceive her for who she is and value her as a person to be friends with her and that makes her exceptionally special, utilizing his literal, blunt communicative method as a way of intentionally skewering that sort of commentary. You have a purely literal alien attempting to communicate with a pure empathic alien, and reaching a touching understanding about how they value one another fundamentally, despite the fact that the method of their communication that sounds insane and wrong just taken at face value — why Gamora interrupts them and seems annoyed with what Drax is saying. That's where the comedy is, and you seem to have completely missed ALL of the telegraphed subtext of that part.

Quill & Gamora have that sort of awkward brief maybe romance that definitely doesn't ultimately pan out in the comics as well. It's just a thing that comes and goes like MANY of Peter's failed romantic endeavours. It might be romantic now, but there's little expectation for it to last. Additionally all of Ego's comments are meant to be uncomfortable for the audience because of how he's twisting Peter's perspective to match his own, and making Peter into that sort of blowhard jackass that treats everyone like expendable property.

Groot is an intelligent being, and not just a plant intelligence. He is always properly communicating with Rocket, but his spoken vocabulary here and in the comics is always limited to a single sentence (there is a comic panel with Jean Grey showing his inner thoughts being exceptionally detailed and eloquent), and Rocket being the most long acquainted with him understands him the best. By the same token, tiny Groot is a more limited and younger, simplistic version of that intelligence as he regrows, and it stands to reason that Peter can understand teenage Groot just fine, having been with him long enough and through his development cycle as well.

Also, I noticed you didn't have any comment on all of the developments between Nebula & Gamora, as well as Yondu & Rocket? They were pretty big parts of the story as well, and VERY important to what that article was about. Each new/minor characters gets a significant development that's paired with one of the original cast to have them grow or learn something new. While Peter & Ego were the main plot, Rocket & Yondu, Gamora & Nebula, and Drax & Mantis were all foils and pairs for character developments as well.

I mean, if the movie's not your jam, that's fine but you seem to be misconstruing a lot of it from what you've written.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, I own that one. It's still a good read to get the general relationship between the two of them, and I figured that'd be the case as soon as I heard her tell her side of things in the film.

Doesn't lessen my enjoyment of either of them though, fwiw.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

This movie is having fun without restraints and I love it for that, but the lack of restraint also shows in the messy story and the many times that jokes fall flat. So much visual and auditory joy is thrown at the audience that it is still plenty of fun, but the first movie balanced story, comedy and action leagues better.

I'm happy I saw the movie but my thoughts after seeing it is mostly "I'm still waiting to see when the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy meet".

Did everyone spot Jeff Goldblum dancing in the credits? :P
YUP!

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Saw Vol. 2 last night and loved it. Easily one of the best sequels of all time, one of the top three Marvel films, and an overall better movie than the original (it arguably has a "better" soundtrack as well in the sense that it's more diverse, even if less fun).

mxMUCmX.jpg

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I finally got to watch the second movie a few nights ago. I really enjoyed it, it had a lot of humorous moments that got me laughing and quite a few touching and serious moments too. :D I felt like it had a pretty perfect blend tbh. Enjoyed the story and of course the characters, old and new.

These are like the only Marvel films I absolutely fecking love, so :monster:

Idk if I'd say it was better than the first movie, but it was just as good I think, and I'm quite impressed that it followed the feel of the first one. I have good hopes for a third one and am really looking forward to it. <3

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
The skuttlebutt is the people who dug this up are conservatives. It's that whole project thing: They're angry that Rosanne got fired. Like you can equate off-the-cuff non-targeted jokes from about a decade ago compared to actual malicious racism that is absolutely fresh.

Top Bottom