Noctis
Who thought that dancing scene was cute? ;-;

"I think we should close his eyes..."
:crymoar:

Last edited:

Isabella

Your Mom
Uh, guys, how emotional is
Dobby's death? Because I have to have my 16-year-old kitty put to sleep tonight :'( and I'm seeing this tomorrow. Will I be a wreck?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Who thought that dancing scene was cute? ;-;

That was my 2nd favourite part
after the Tale of the Three Brothers. I really loved the song they played for that part hnnnngh.

Uh, guys, how emotional is
Dobby's death? Because I have to have my 16-year-old kitty put to sleep tonight :'( and I'm seeing this tomorrow. Will I be a wreck?

I'm really sorry about your cat :( *hugs*

Had I not already cried myself dry at Godric's Hollow, I probably would have been a total wreck at that part myself.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
So, I finally got round to seeing this.

In going in there's some things I should probably make known. I vaguely recall reading the first four books AGES ago, and I've seen, films 1, 3, 4, 6, and now 7. So my Harry Potter knowledge isn't the best, but I still managed to get quite hooked, and grasp what was going on. My lady is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, but moved when the last book was released, and never got around to getting a copy. When the film trailers came out, she held off of reading the last book, so that she'd have the chance to enjoy ONE Harry Potter film without nit picking about details, and she's going to pick it up this week, and read through it before seeing Part 2.

The one part that I was slightly dissapointed by was
No dragon that they showed in the trailer. :( I'll have to wait for the next film.

Aside from that,

- Disguised Potter blasting Umbridge in the face was excellent. "YOU SHOULDN'T TELL LIES!" The whole section with them in the Ministry of Magic was just fantastic, with it's Nazi Muggle propaganda feel very much setting the tone for the Wizarding world going very, VERY dark. I think because of that Ron being confused / snarky. "It's still raining in my office." "Have you tried an umbrella?" helped keep the tensions interesting, especially because you see him get some SERIOUS damage on their escape.

- The opened Horcrux that Ron had to fight looked AMAZING, (though if they'd stuck to spiders, I'm not sure if he'd have been as full of rage to overcome his fear. :P ) The chemistry that they built was just enough to make everything believable and sell the tension and emotions of the characters.

- Like everyone else, I REALLY enjoyed the Three Brother's animation.

- Evanna Lynch's portrayl of Luna never ceases to make me smile. Her ability to completely pull off the "speaking what everyone's thinking, but no one can say, with JUST the right amount of awkwardness to make it ok" always gets me. Her poor dad though... Of everyone in the film, I think that he's the one who you see take the most emotional damage, even though his part is very small, it hits home really what's going on in the Wizarding world.

- Aside from Ron's moments, George's toothbrush in the ear, Neville on the train, and Harry with the fire, were my favorite comedic moments.

- Dobby:
Epic.
/gutted.

X :neo:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I want to see this SO BAD but I won't be able to until next week. :( I keep reading from Potter fans that this one was the Best One Ever, but people who are casual fans/never read the books are getting confused?

On the shipper thing: I'm really not one, but a Harry/Hermione relationship is the only one that ever made any sense to me. I'll never get Ron/Hermione. They make no damn sense together.

That's mostly because Ron got changed into the 'comic idiot' as the series progressed as 'hampered by hand me downs' encroached on his whole character.
The signs of the Official Pairings were rather obvious from the first book, and those remained even though the characterizations for the people involved in those pairings went weird.
Narratively, the gong of the official pairings is rung often, just poorly, so that the Harry Gong sounds like it's chiming more with the Hermione Gong, even though both are supposed to chime better with completely different ones.
If that rather awkward metaphor makes sense.

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
Does anyone else ship Bellatrix x Hermione now?
i know i do

Also, idk why i almost cried at
Dobby's death.
I fucking hate Dobby.

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Does anyone else ship Bellatrix x Hermione now?
i know i do

...This is strangely intriguing, but my Hermione crackship is already filled up with Severus. :awesome:

DID ANYONE NOTICE HOW THEY CHANGED HIS ANIMATION/VOICE TO MAKE HIM CUTER?

Really? It's been a while since I last watch CoS so my memory of how they animated him is rather fuzzy, but his voice sounded exactly like I remembered.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
"It's still raining in my office." "Have you tried an umbrella?"

And I liked when he's
freaking out about his wife being on trial. Lawl. xD

ship Bellatrix x Hermione now

Now? :awesome: I think you mean more than before. BD
*___* I love Bellatrix so much. They really chose the perfect looking person to play as her. c:

Mitch Connor

Its All Good Enough
AKA
Blazing782
Just saw it and fortunately I was VERY pleasantly surprised. Best movie out of the series by far. For the first time, the movie actually presented the story better than the book did (much better). I hope they keep it up for the second part

Also I loved that animation they used to tell the three brothers story that was bad ass

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null
*___* I love Bellatrix so much. They really chose the perfect looking person to play as her. c:

They had actually cast Helen McCrory (Narcissa Malfoy) first, but she got pregnant and had to back out. I can't imagine her as Bellatrix now. It's amazing that it turned out so well for both roles in the end.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
So, a month and a half later I finally saw it :monster: I like Harry Potter and all and I've read the books, but between me not being a huge movie-goer nor a huge fan, it took my sister dragging me out to see it.

It was indeed very good. I didn't hate any of the films as much as the diehards do because I guess I'm not as loyal to the books or something. Nothin' really to say as everyone has said it. Honestly my only gripes are those I have with the entire franchise and they're all nerdy and nitpicky. Note that these are not related to this movie, they're just things that this movie called to mind.

For example I have always wished for more...elaboration, if that's the word, on the magic. Full Metal Alchemist had a similar problem really - they talk about "powerful" wizards and "advanced" magic but never really say what makes one so. The way it is depicted (in the books as well), is that if you know the incantation and the motions, you can cast the spell. So...what's stopping anyone from being a powerful wizard? In the sixth book/movie, which on the whole I found pretty uninteresting, the massive fire spell of awesome that Dumbledore uses is probably my favorite part because its the first (and one of the only) times we really get to see what the "most powerful wizard" is capable of. But again, if Harry knew the word and the somatic component, could he not do the same thing?
Now of course not, there's obviously SOMETHING else, be it mental fortitude or "MP," as it were, but there's never any mention has to what separates an average wizard from a good one, or what makes a particular spell difficult. Like I said, FMA has a similar issue.

The other thing is just that the whole concept of the heroes can't kill villains because it would make them darker or whatever is like my biggest pet peeve in fiction. This doesn't come up in this movie, actually
as I'm not referring to the people in the coffee shop. Because it WOULD be stupid to kill them there, and I'm also not saying the heroes should wantonly kill.
At the end of the 5th book when Harry uses the cruci...atus? spell on Bellatrix (which was freaking awesome, by the way), there is no possible reason you could possibly give me that made it a good idea not to kill her. But no, because Voldemort, by way of reverse psychology, told him that if you kill her you will be just like me, he doesn't do it. Stupid. Given all the people Bellatrix goes on to kill (seriously, I think she has a higher main character killcount than Voldemort), it's that pussy's fault.
That's right, Harry killed Dobby. :monster:
As someone who likes to see villains get their due, the WORST thing that can happen in fiction is for the hero to get the villain in his or her mercy.
Bah.

Anyway, sorry, the movie was excellent. The effects were great (though magic battles still kinda come off as just gun fights), the scenery was amazing and the acting was very good. Like other's have said Grint has always been the best actor of the three, regardless of what the script would do to his character. Watson has probably shown the most steady progression of improvement over the series. And, yeah, Radcliffe is kind of inconsistent. I always like when he's in on a comedic scene because I actually find him pretty funny
i.e. The haircut followed by not following Hermione's thinking bit
, but he can be so...droning and serious that it kinda comes out of nowhere. Then again he is a particularly moody character as it is...so maybe its just that.

And...I am under no classification a shipper, but since there was so much talk of it in this thread I'll weigh in.

I also never really got the Ron/Hermione thing the story pushes so hard. This is probably because Ron's jealousy issues are always really freaking annoying and have caused me to not be all that crazy about the character. So while I guess you could consider me in the Harry and Hermione camp, like I said I'm not a shipper and so I also happen to like that they are really really close friends but not romantic. And so while everyone else is seeing Harry/Hermione shipping all over this movie, I thought it did a very good job as portraying them as I described.

As such, I fully agree with Tiff when she says "Was I the only one who thought that dancing scene was cute?" Assuming she meant I think she did. I didn't think the dance was romantic. I thought it was a sweet gesture from a friend trying to cheer her up, just being goofy because she was looking so depressed. It portrayed Harry as a nice, cool guy, not flirty. I didn't like the "will they kiss?" camera angle at the end OR the sad look. Because THEN it looked like they were trying to make the scene romantic when I was just praising it for being realistic and NOT romantic. I was hoping for a sincere "thank you," from Hermione before she walked out of the tent.

Grunt said:
They were supposed to be fucking miserable and barely speaking after Ron left, instead it was like they were struggling to stay in separate sleeping bags!

I don't see that. With the exception of that scene, which again I found far more nice than romantic, they always seem as far apart as physically possible and not talking. Such as when Harry finds the writing on the Snitch and stuffs. Also, when she says she wants to stay in that forest and grow old, she doesn't say "together."

Ginny asking Harry to zip up her dress was the first believable chemistry between the two characters onscreen, and the first scene to do the couple justice. They should have run with it.

I'll be honest, my very first thought when she said that was, "You can't do that with magic?"

Whatever, you know I actually always kinda liked Luna, she's so sweet. I wouldn't have minded if Harry ended up with her :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The film has been screened! Spoilers:

-J. K. Rowling's source material is used nearly verbatim in the forest scenes. Harry walks into the forest, after passing off the duty to kill Nagini to Ron and Hermione, and discovers the resurrection stone in the snitch. His parents, Remus, and Sirius continue with him until he faces Voldemort.
-In the final shot of Harry, Ron, and Hermione as seventeen year olds, they are shown standing together looking out into the expanse of the future, while the crumbling remains of Hogwarts sits behind them.
-ultimately closing on a shot of the smiling, content Trio as they watch their children depart on the Hogwarts Express.

OH GOD CRYING FOREVER.

Last edited:

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Most importantly, it sounds like the Snape scenes are done with great justice. And considering how awesome an actor Rickman is I'll probably burst into tears at some point.

So fucking excite ahsaojdgioajgoijaodjigasdg

Elisa Maza

Whomst
So fucking excite ahsaojdgioajgoijaodjigasdg

This. Especially for the Harry scenes. "Forest again" is my favourite chapter in the whole series and I firmly believe it contains Rowling's best writing. Hearing that they kept it faithful to the book makes me very happy. :joy:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
tumblr_lbc2t2oKLt1qazlglo1_500.png

100 More Days to Go.

T

TomWills

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows is very interesting movie to watch.

Top Bottom