Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I really, REALLY hope that Cait Sith gets a totally reworked Limit Break system, because he really deserves something more impressive than those damn dice or otherwise just randomized damage. I'd love to see his Giant Mog really throw down or some crazy megaphone antics from the little kitten.

(Also, I low key think it'd be cool for him to get a final limit break from a new version of Mog House in Gold Saucer that lets the Mog fly as the start of an attack).

X :neo:

hian

Purist
Cait Sith as a character is something I'm really interested in how they do in general.
I mean, given the scenes of Cloud moving through reactor rubble (action adventure-ish map exploration), the battle system, cover-mechanics and character change setting etc. how is that all going to work with the big, ungainly plush-toy that is Cait Sith?

I really can't see Cait Sith squeezing through cracks, climb up steep walls, or jump platforms etc. or just function well as a character in general from a game-play perspective with the character lugging the huge plush doll, which makes me think it would make more sense for Cait Sith to only pull that thing out for combat, but otherwise just be running around as the cat.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
So much of the FFVII would would simply be intraversible for Cait Sith, Barret, and sometimes Red XIII. How they are going to do it is anyone's guess.

hian

Purist
Well, I could see Barret and Red XIII be capable of like basic movements - even a bit of acrobatics. I mean, Red is basically I giant cat. You could have some could animal parkour going on with that character. Cait Sith though on top of that moogle?
Yeah, totally can't see how they're gonna make that happen.

I'm thinking a lot of people on the dev team are scratching their heads thinking why the hell they opted for a realistic aesthetic for a game that's largely an exercise in bizarre cartoon logic, and twisting their brains into knots trying to figure out how it's all supposed to work.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
In terms of character versatility and encouraging switching, maybe they'll do something like XV's moogle decoy. Cait Sith could be a tank, able to soak up a massive amount of damage due to the toy body, or even utilise the microphone aspect by having him shout commands that has a chance of distracting the guards from targeting the player.

Unit-01

Might be around.
AKA
Sic, Anthony
On the topic of characters, I would like to see the rest of the characters in battle.

When I get to thinking about it, Tifa having to punch, Aerith just casting spells in the back(unless you can hit things with her staff), Red XIII/Nanaki pouncing on enemies, the list goes on.

My concern is with fighting the bosses in a action battle system, or just the bigger enemies in general. It's going to be a bit jarring assume to see Tifa run up and punch the Weapons in the feet and do damage(as a specific example).

We really do need to see more of this game, and I'd think some characters like Cid or Cait Sith won't even be in the first part.

Ite

AKA
Ite
@hian: I was thinking more the climbing sequences. Barret would reasonably struggle up that Golden Shiny Wire of Hope with only one arm. And unless Nanaki can easily take a 50 meter fall, leaving Midgar is going to be difficult. And the cliff-climbing at the beginning of Disc 2 requires shimmying up crevices inset in a sheer rock wall, no ledges for Nanaki to leap to, and Barret would be pushing against the rock with the barrel of his gun. Not safe!
Gaia's cliff is where I think Cait Sith would struggle the most, because there are ledges for Nanaki, and Barret could do it one handed like a boss, but mog's big plush belly and no legs and pancake feet would make it pretty much impossible, not to mention it's all felt/fur so he'd get stuck to the ice immediately.

Obviously, they're reworking all of the environments (plz plz plz let the Nibel reactor from Möbius be what they use) so it will be interesting to see how they make everything accessible while still keeping a variance in navigation. I don't think anyone wants FFXIII's hallways for the remake, but nearly half the PCs are at some sort of disadvantage.

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Barret could replace his gun-arm gun with various gadgets when climbing. A pickaxe like thing for scaling mountains, and some grippy device for climbing ladders and rope.

As for Red XIII... that's interesting. I wonder how he's gone about climbing up the observatory all this time. For most vertical scaling I assume he'd just bound off objects and manage to find footing somewhere.

For ladders: The internet provides.

For Cait Sith... either (A) super jumps, (B) the Mog reveals he can fly short distances, or (C) the Mog can somehow be shrunk/sent to hammerspace while Cait Sith climbs himself/rides Red XIII.

Last edited:

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer
If you'll recall, Mog can grow to several times it's original size as one of it's limit breaks. If we can accept that, we can also accept that it shrinks down to pocket size.

So either we can be amused by seeing the moogle (again, stuffed) squish through tight spaces like the stuffed animal that it is, or it can just shrink where it needs to. I like the idea of Cait pulling him out when in battle, and otherwise just carrying the moogle like a stuffed toy.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
FFVII had some pretty awesome and memorable NPCs and I'd like to be able to hunt them down for a natter. I don't mind the eavesdropping on the random chatter of the FFXV people but I don't know, feels kind of lonely to me. I miss being able to stop someone in their tracks to force them to tell me some sort of personal information about their life :P

People on other sites have been saying that it causes a loss of immersion or something if you have the option to stop and talk to NPCs (because it's not realistic apparently) but I don't agree with that. My immersion is lost when I feel the world is empty and besides, I always get approached and chatted to by random strangers irl so it's realistic to some degree lol

I don't know, a combination of people you can't/wont be able to talk to, ones you can eavesdrop on and others (outside of quest givers) that are willing to chat would be nice. And people who don't want to talk to them can just walk on by.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
FFVII had some pretty awesome and memorable NPCs and I'd like to be able to hunt them down for a natter. I don't mind the eavesdropping on the random chatter of the FFXV people but I don't know, feels kind of lonely to me. I miss being able to stop someone in their tracks to force them to tell me some sort of personal information about their life :P

People on other sites have been saying that it causes a loss of immersion or something if you have the option to stop and talk to NPCs (because it's not realistic apparently) but I don't agree with that. My immersion is lost when I feel the world is empty and besides, I always get approached and chatted to by random strangers irl so it's realistic to some degree lol

I don't know, a combination of people you can't/wont be able to talk to, ones you can eavesdrop on and others (outside of quest givers) that are willing to chat would be nice. And people who don't want to talk to them can just walk on by.

FFXV has a pretty decent sort of eaves-dropping on passive NPCs that's done really well, but it'd be fun to be able to chat with more NPCs in VII. I'm really looking forward to the much-more city and population-filled world, especially in Midgar, also because in the slums and other places it's all about talking to whoever's there, whereas a lot of XV is sort of avoiding notice to one degree or another.

(Also, I think anyone who feels that talking to NPCs is immersion-breaking has no business playing RPGs, tbqh). :awesomonster:

X :neo:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
A lot of people seem to be saying things need to be a certain way in the name of 'realism' lately, I'm not sure I really buy into it. Recovering from being shot in the face by a shotgun by ducking into cover for a few seconds isn't any more realistic than recovering by eating or using a first aid kit.

Also, people ripped into FF13 for not being able to talk to NPCs, even though that made pretty much perfect sense for the plot. Can't please everyone, huh.

Something I'm not expecting, but hoping for is for individual enemies to still be dangerous, I want encounters to be more with five Shinra soldiers, not forty five. Slaughtering vast hordes doesn't really appeal to me, It's why I never got into God of War.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
I'm not too concerned about the 'realism' factor, either, as I think only so much realism can exist in a fantasy game. That is to say, so long as elements such as materia, gun arms with limitless ammo, and bruiser combos that produce dolphins exist in this game's universe, I'm never going to buy into the plausibility of it all, and so I'm not really concerned about how realistic the battle immersion is in the game, if that makes sense. I don't there are many things that can happen within this game universe that will give me pause then shout, "Now that's just totally fake!"

I quite like the idea of fewer but stronger enemies. It would make each battle interaction that much more meaningful and rewarding to walk away from, methinks. I don't like to be in "God" mode myself unless I've
(plowing through enemies in BL2 as a lvl 72 Siren pour example :awesome:)
or if I'm playing something that requires no thought and I'm just trying to vent.

leadmyskeptic

Pro Adventurer
That...was fucking...awesome lol. Especially the 'recreation' of the Truck chase. Reminds me how much im going to miss the original music, no matter what

Omni

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hi. First post. Hope you're all very well indeed.

What brought me to post were the latest screen shots (I believe they have been posted here, but it would have been off topic for me to discuss this on that thread)

We're all extremely excited for this, and I am sure the majority of us will buy the series, but I'm not going to shy away from the fact that, despite knowing that we must move away from complete turn-based combat, I am personally going to get very bored of a full action-based combat system VERY quickly.

Does anyone else share this concern? I struggle to remotely enjoy any game that is action based. They ALL become bore-fests with script in between...which isn't enjoyable in the slightest.

There's little knowledge of how this will turn out, but going by every other recent SS game, we're looking at a X-bash bore fest with lovely images and an already established and amazing story.

Omni

Lv. 1 Adventurer
...and by SS I meant SquareSoft, which shows my age as I obviously know it's SE :)

Please see free to edit/combine post...I couldn't see an edit button.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato

What brought me to post were the latest screen shots (I believe they have been posted here, but it would have been off topic for me to discuss this on that thread)

We're all extremely excited for this, and I am sure the majority of us will buy the series, but I'm not going to shy away from the fact that, despite knowing that we must move away from complete turn-based combat, I am personally going to get very bored of a full action-based combat system VERY quickly.

Does anyone else share this concern? I struggle to remotely enjoy any game that is action based. They ALL become bore-fests with script in between...which isn't enjoyable in the slightest.

There's little knowledge of how this will turn out, but going by every other recent SS game, we're looking at a X-bash bore fest with lovely images and an already established and amazing story.

It won't be full action-based. You'll still be commanding the other partymembers from a distance, telling them when to limitbreak, use magic ect. no matter what manner our control over Cloud is like.

ChipNoir

Pro Adventurer

It won't be full action-based. You'll still be commanding the other partymembers from a distance, telling them when to limitbreak, use magic ect. no matter what manner our control over Cloud is like.

Not just that, but if nothing else, Nomura has said there's going to be an emphasis on making use of ranged characters to handle certain enemy behaviors, and that cover-play and stealth would be options to handle various dungeons.

So there's going to be a number of novelties and ways to change up the gameplay. I liked the XIII 'tried' to include a stealth option. Only problem is the enemy's ability to sense you made it almost impossible to sneak up on them. Here, they seem to want to make this a more accessible option.

Ite

AKA
Ite
Considering that among the Sakaguchi titles, FFVII is the most guilty of the "Press Confirm to Win" combat system, I think it's likely that SE will endeavour to water down a remake even further to make it accessible to the gormless youngsters.

That said, Trailer 2 implies that we'll see party-member switching, and FFXV has (so I have heard) a pause button for strategic planning. Combine those elements and I'll be pretty much happy with the bang-pow-zoom action we've been seeing. I liked FFXII's combat system after my initial wtf-is-this subsided.

Mother

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
That said, Trailer 2 implies that we'll see party-member switching, and FFXV has (so I have heard) a pause button for strategic planning. Combine those elements and I'll be pretty much happy with the bang-pow-zoom action we've been seeing. I liked FFXII's combat system after my initial wtf-is-this subsided.

Agreed, I ended up really loving FFXII's action-based battle after learning how to configure the gambit system. It was equal parts strategic while I still had enough agency during battle to jump in with my own spontaneous commands so it wouldn't cross over into total autonomy.

It struck the perfect balance in my eyes; I admittedly haven't played any FF titles newer than FFXII though, so I'm not sure how much the later titles drew from/improved on FFXII's battle system, but I hope the VII remake can incorporate something similar.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I would like the remake to incorporate FFXV's "banter between characters" system (for lack of proper name), I don't ask for Cloud and Co to be as chatty as Noct & Bros but I would like to hear them commenting about stuff here and there.

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
As long as the battle system isn't a straight rip from XV, then I'll live.

Edit:

Ok, that's a lie, as it also needs a full Materia system or I'm rioting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom