Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (gameplay/combat)

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Ok guys, I seriously think we need to move on now. I was enjoying reading everyone's different thoughts and perspectives on what they would want from the Remake's battle system, but this current argument has been going on for a heck of a long time now and no one is backing down. It's just turned into a dissection of one person's mind-frame of what is or isn't logical in their eyes. Come on, let it go and let's get back to discussing possible battle mechanics.

Please?

So ... an 'evolution' of the original system, but one that won't see players 'stepping back' into line after their turn. What could that mean?

Wolf_

Pro Adventurer
..... So anyway... How do you think they'll handle some of the mini game mechanics like the cpr for example? And do you think we'll have live action cutscenes like xiii-2?

..... So anyway... How do you think they'll handle some of the mini game mechanics like the cpr for example? And do you think we'll have live action cutscenes like xiii-2?

I feel like the CPR mini game would just be turned into a short cutscene or something, seeing as I don't see them re-implementing such a grossly inaccurate mini game mechanic and a realistic CPR mini game...let's just say no one wants to see Cloud pump at a young girl's sternum for twenty minutes (breaking her ribs in the process, as is often expected to happen), switch off with Tifa while the feeling returns to his arms, and then get back to it for another ten minutes only for a doctor to finally show up and pronounce Priscilla dead.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Attack% needs to be named Accuracy and Defense% needs to be named Evasion in the remake if they're keeping them XD. Although Magic Defense% is a weird one. Magic Evasion?
Magic Evasion is a weird stat as technically, Magic doesn't have an Accuracy rating (or rather, it has an Accuracy ratting of 255). I think what this means in practice is that physical attacks have both a chance of missing and being avoided while magic attacks can only be avoided (so it happens less often). Also, enemies and items that raise Magic Evasion are relatively rare. It's simpler to half/negate/absorb magic damage.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I thought it could be done as a Quick-Time Event (I haven't played XIII-2, were these "live action cutscenes" similar to QTE?). Although, Nikolai had a point: do we really want that?

Speaking of mini-games, I wonder how they're going to handle the bike chase this time. Will they go along the lines of G-Bike, or will they attempt some more cinematic action like the chase scenes in Sleeping Dogs?
That also makes me wonder if they're going to implement the use of vehicles in the game: there's enough in-universe justification for it, and Square has certainly started to explore the possibility with the development of FF XV.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I have split this topic by request. The split posts have been moved to this thread. If someone feels certain posts should be moved between or copied to both topics, feel free to do so; some of them would have fit in both topics. This is also why there are replies in this topic to posts that are no longer here.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Speaking of mini-games, I wonder how they're going to handle the bike chase this time. Will they go along the lines of G-Bike, or will they attempt some more cinematic action like the chase scenes in Sleeping Dogs?
That also makes me wonder if they're going to implement the use of vehicles in the game: there's enough in-universe justification for it, and Square has certainly started to explore the possibility with the development of FF XV.
I just finished playing though Sleeping Dogs. If SE decides to do chase scenes like Sleeping Dogs did it, I'd be happy with that. The chase scenes in that game are not quick-time cinematic events and use normal gameplay mechanics. You're just shooting out car windows while doing it.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I just finished playing though Sleeping Dogs. If SE decides to do chase scenes like Sleeping Dogs did it, I'd be happy with that. The chase scenes in that game are not quick-time cinematic events and use normal gameplay mechanics. You're just shooting out car windows while doing it.
I know, Sleeping Dogs is a gem, IMO :) (it manages to have a powerful story while maintaining an open-world structure, it has a great cast of characters with awesome voice acting, and it's a LOT of fun - I could keep praising this game for ages :P ). In that respect, if driving vehicles is a properly implemented game mechanics in the remake, the bike chase could be just a "special episode" using these mechanics (replacing shooting cars from Sleeping Dogs by hack&slash with a Buster Sword).

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I just realised about another compilcating problem with the gameplay.

How will the party be sorted with Cloud and AVALANCHE? Are they gonna have it similiar to Final Fantasy X or keep it like in the original game with only three travelling playable in combat? Or have it a little more complicating and expensive similiar to FFXV?

Stryfe

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
TheScrub96 (League of Legends)
I think this game was actually fairly linear except in very specific instances where no instructions were given. As an example, after the Gold Saucer/desert prison portion, I had no clue Gongaga was even a thing, so I wandered until I found Nibelheim and skipped Gongaga entirely... 0_0. Despite this, however, I honestly don't like the idea of the game holding my hand through the entire adventure, that kills any sense of journeying or exporation, and it makes me feel like I'm just slavishly following simple directions. I think they could have just thrown in a hints system in some way or at least have characters repeat instructions on where to go next WITH CARDINAL DIRECTIONS. Often in FF7 you would be told a city name with no directions on how to get there, and even then the NPCs would never really repeat the city name if you talked to them again. But if you had them give you a city name AND point you in the right direction, then it would still give you that adventuring/exploring feel without totally leaving you at a loss for where you should be generally headed. Also in the spirit of exploration/adventure, I would like some added optional caves or dungeons that serve no story purpose (a la TESV:Skyrim), where you can maybe find special items at the end.

As far as combat goes, I would honestly prefer a turn-based battle system, but judging by what the developers have said so far, I don't really see that happening. If they do decide to use a more real-time battle system, I would love to see a switch-in system rather than 2 AI-controlled teammates. I appreciate how far AI has come in the past few years, but I would rather have direct control over the members of my party than let a computer determine how (in)competent they are. Unfortunately, this would likely cause most players to use only Cloud all game unless he's unavailable, at which point they would use some second default choice, and half the characters would never even see a battle.

Here's a weird idea: Perhaps they could use a sort of an RTS approach, in which your characters perform actions automatically, but you determine in real time what action each character performs according to how the battle is currently going. This would allow them to keep the entire battle flowing constantly (no one enemy or character is just awkwardly sitting and waiting for instructions). Spells, Summons, and limit-breaks could be queued up as special actions, maybe with a cooldown or number of uses for spells and summons and the same damage-based limit-break system as before. I think it would be interesting to see such a system if they could pull it off.

However, despite what the developers said, I would honestly rather just see Barrett and Cloud just sit patiently and wait for their turns... XD

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
An idea i had while playing XII today, I know we'd all pretty much like to see a day/night cycle for the remake, but I realized seeing weather changes would be fun as well. I liked the weather changes in XII, and how it would affect certain elemental magic potency and bring out different enemies.
I think adding simple weather changes to places in the remake would be fun. :awesome:

hian

Purist
- If they're not going to go the pure ATB route, I'd want them to go a semi-action semi-ATB with the battle system.
Let the player run around in battles and have attack, defense and dodging be manual and free, then also have an ATB gauge for each character, which when full, gives you access to materia/items, by for instance pressing triangle. Press the (triangle) button, time slows down - slow-mo or completely - giving the player time to navigate the menus, select targets etc. or even change characters (although that option should be available at all times though, linked to the lower trigger buttons or something).

This way you'll have the mobility and the interactivity of most action games, whilst also having the possibility to keep a complex materia system, multiple commands, and micro-management of your party.
It's the best way I can think of to satisfy both camps and keep the game-play fresh.

- I hope they find some sort of stylistic solution for keeping the world map - either by doing like FF15 and creating a large open world and putting it into segments separated by loading screens so that the entirety of the world can be kept, or by simply being old-school and keeping the traditional world map (perhaps change the scale and presentation a bit to not make it look too out of place).

- I hope they keep up the tradition of breaking up the base game-play with various mini-games, button-prompt events to keep the experience fresh. I also hope they add some new mini-games (maybe fishing or whatever) just because they can, because it extends the experience without hampering its quality or structure.

- I agree that a day-night cycle could be cool and interesting, but I don't think they should put the game on a time limit like the Persona games, because that's really stressful, and annoying. It also punishes players who fail to prioritize their time in game properly, but don't have the time or energy in their real-life to start the game from the beginning over and over again when they find out how they messed up.

- I think they need to give a lot of though to the balancing of the game. Amp up the difficulty level, or at least provide something as basic as a difficulty option that raises the base stats of all the enemies or something to that effect.
Take a leaf out of FF10's book and make sure that all the skills and spells are actually useful at times.

- Ties together with - and will probably only work if they keep - the world map -
Airship, vehicles, Chocobos etc. Keep it in, expand on their use etc.

- More everything : More materia, more equipment (visual equipment that effect the appearance of the characters mind you), more side-quests, more non plot-related locations, NPCs, roads and railroad tracks on the world map/overworld, public transport choices, etc. etc. etc.

That's pretty much it from me.

55-

Probably Evan Townshend
An idea i had while playing XII today, I know we'd all pretty much like to see a day/night cycle for the remake, but I realized seeing weather changes would be fun as well.
What if Great Gospel actually made it rain for real? :awesome:

Lex

Administrator
^Actually that could work really well (though just for the duration of the cast, obviously) when you consider the way Ramuh looks in FFXV:

Ooooo imagine a Great Gospel cast with that level of effect.

Stryfe

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
TheScrub96 (League of Legends)
I liked the idea the first time it was mentioned, but after seeing that, I agree those kinds of weather effects MUST be in the remake!

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
God, that Ramuh summoning is so cool. <3

Yeah, the Great Gospel effect would be awesome to see like that! Just have a rain effect that lasts for the duration of the fight or something. And I still would like natural weather effects.

Speaking of Great Gospel, I have never seen that Limit Break in effect before. I hope there's a better way to level Aerith up before she's gone so that I can see it without farming in the same area for 10 hours of gameplay. :closedmonster:

paleofan

Pro Adventurer
About the gameplay I'll probably enjoy it as long as it is well made. If it's like the original, which probably won't be the case considering the interviews, then we know for sure it would be great. But if they want to make it action oriented I don't mind but they have to do it correctly. Want action? Sure but then don't shy away and give us true action. If I play a turn based or ATB game then I want strategy and a lot of options. If I play an action game I want... well action? I don't like when games try to mix action and RPG to make some weird battle system that end up being not satisfying in both RPG and actions critters. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that but I didn't like Crisis Core's battle system for this particular reason. It didn't have the complexity of turn based and ATB but the action wasn't intense either. Zack was taking time to react to the commands, it wasn't visually impressive because there were only 3 attacks animation for the normal attack combos. To sum it up, it didn't feel like I was doing the fighting but more like I was telling Zack what to do, which is great to feel in a RPG with multiple characters and lot of options but not for one character action.
Apparently they want to make the battles visually similar to Advent Children which is great in my book. That would be awesome to have some Metal Gear Rising like combats. I know that's not going to happen but you gotta admit the battles in MGR makes you feel more like you're in Advent Children than any other game out there.

Max Caulfield

shaka brah
AKA
Chi, Trollzaya, Dean Winchester, Black Widow
I kind of want to be able to play as other characters because it would fulfill my childhood dream of being Tifa Lockhart at least once.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
I kind of want to be able to play as other characters because it would fulfill my childhood dream of being Tifa Lockhart at least once.
Well, if the remake is faithful to the original story wise, then there's going to be the moment when she becomes the party leader. To be fair, I wouldn't mind that time to last longer than it does in the OG, and have her lead the party into other quests than just having to find Cloud.

Starling

Pro Adventurer
Or maybe you get the option to switch between part leader by that point, if you don't already have the option.

ChOcOboO

Game-changer
^ Yes, I'm thinking that I would not mind a battle system sort of like 12's; one that allows us to switch between characters on the field even though Cloud is the main character. I feel like that would be an okay thing to do, especially on the field map, then being able to control Cloud in towns and such would be fine by me. The issue a lot of people seem to have is keeping the remake faithful to the original battle system and I get those concerns. Turn-based is a huge component of what makes a Final Fantasy. Even though the game was just okay, when I played FFXIII for the first time I remember thinking how great it would be to see the FFVII characters in their updated models in HD... with turn-based combat (doesn't have to be like the paradigm system though). Nomura thinking that their HD models waiting around for the next turn to attack as being awkward, well, surprises me, since again, FFXIII did that with it's beautiful graphics.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Kitase has some comments (specifically from the 2:00-3:00 section) that make me really excited for what they're keeping a focus on:

X :neo:

Top Bottom