Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I guess I'm the only person in here who heavily disliked ffxv lol I tried to have a open mind about the game but there were too many things that were kinda unforgivable to me. Most prominent thing would be that so many important parts were cut out and of course, how Luna was handled. Such a fucking waste of a great character design

Was that opinion before or after the DLC and updates?

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
I guess I'm the only person in here who heavily disliked ffxv lol I tried to have a open mind about the game but there were too many things that were kinda unforgivable to me. Most prominent thing would be that so many important parts were cut out and of course, how Luna was handled. Such a fucking waste of a great character design
How exactly is this related to the 7Remake?

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I think it was connected because we mentioned how 4chan leaked both FFXV story and the potential FF7 event in April.

a_apple

Pro Adventurer
AKA
orange
Was that opinion before or after the DLC and updates?
I played XV directly after it came out but to me these dlcs are the worst thing ever, se cutting out important bits from the main storyline and turning it into dlcs/movies/animes is a move I would expect from EA, it took so much away from the original game

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Just remember that 4chan isn't a single entity. It's just anonymous posters who can say anything they feel like. A single person having apparent knowledge about FFXV details and choosing to share them doesn't correlate to someone knowing FFVII details and doing the same. No one post can ever have any inherent credibility.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I played XV directly after it came out but to me these dlcs are the worst thing ever, se cutting out important bits from the main storyline and turning it into dlcs/movies/animes is a move I would expect from EA, it took so much away from the original game

Right, but they did it because they ran out of time. Not because they thought it'd be a cool idea.

When the project had been floating around for a decade, I think it's understandable that Squenix needed to just give them a final deadline for launching it.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
@Theozilla
@Gary Caelum
To the best of my understanding, the fiscal year as SE records it is the same as the Japanese government recognizes it. I'll check into it further, but I believe the key transformative wording here is placing "ending" after "fiscal year."

The fiscal year that ends in 2019 is not Fiscal Year 2019.
Okay I am confused, because the article posted a few pages back says Q3 of Fiscal Year 2020 for SE would be October-December of 2019 (i.e. the fiscal year for 2020 is from April 2019 to March 2020), doesn’t that mean SE’s fiscal’s year is different from Japan’s (if I am understanding you correctly you’re saying Japan’s 2019 Fiscal Year is April 2019 to March 2020).

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Ah yeah, I think you're right. I guess SQE is following the US model, except retaining the Japanese dates (in the US the FY is from 1 Oct- 30 Sep):

"In Japan, the government's financial year is from 1 April to 31 March. The fiscal year is represented by the calendar year in which the period begins, followed by the word nendo (年度); for example the fiscal year from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 is called 2018–nendo."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year#Japan

Referencing in turn: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ja.html

donkeyjack

Pro Adventurer
That's a common claim that they ditched it because action has more of a mainstream appeal.

And yet, FF7 is still the best selling in the series.

My theory is they've largely ditched turn-based because it doesn't make for very good preview trailers. They want something that looks flashy! Characters calmly standing in a line waiting for their turn has always looked a bit silly.

Because of the use of cinematics is why FFVII sold and that marketing. Like you can't think that it sold on the battle system.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yes although the vast majority of that audience stuck around for FF8 as well, so not many people were alienated by it.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The ATB system isnt alienating so much as dated.

Games that use it now are usually throwbacks to classic styles RPGs. Ever since FFXII S-E's been trying to find ways to augment or upgrade it in ways that focus on more real time strategy or action-like dynamics.

Its simply just old fashioned in terms of combat. It's not bad but it's also a classic at this point. You're right it's part publicity but it's also just a fact of making the gameplay more engaging and dynamic.

Action allows for more immersion and less of a divide between the mechanics of battle and their fit inside the story.

FFXIII, FFXIV and FFXV truly exemplify the seamless interaction and integration of how the battles fit within the context of the story. Until modern FFs, that was a thing that confounded players.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Ever since X-2 I'd say.

Still I love the XIII battle system and that's kinda ATB still. Ideally I'd like something that's XIII battles but with multi-character moves. I'm imagining something like XIII mixed with Xenoblade Chronicles.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Currently happy with how they have FFXV set up. Doing something like that for Final Fantasy VII would be great, because all of the characters would control slightly different and would allow a decent level of customization for an individual player's play style. Plus, I am super interested in seeing how Red XIII and Cait Sith play. To say nothing of Barret and Vincent, who will both be using long range weaponry (though I would imagine Vincent being something closer to Ignis).

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
I think I've enjoyed pretty much every battle system they've ever made. X-2, XII, XIII, Lightning Returns, Crisis Core, XV.

They're all pretty good imo. So it's not something I really worry about Squenix doing badly. Storytelling is where they're more liable to screw things up.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Well, since the main story for Final Fantasy VII is pretty great, they shouldn't have too much of a problem. I suppose it's always possible to mess even that up (looking at you, Last Order), but I'm feeling good about it at the moment.

Gary Caelum

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Gary Caelum
Yeah I've been pretty optimistic about this game since it was announced, for that exact reason. Storytelling is what they've struggled at the most for the last decade, and that's largely already taken care of for this game.

The parts that they're mostly going to change from the original are the battle system and the environmental design. But those are 2 of the things they've never been bad at. (and graphical quality obviously, which they're also pretty good at)

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
Yeah, with regards to those they are truly among the best. I have seen a few things rather recently (the Resident Evil 2 remake, Red Dead Redemption) that compare, but few other games do.

If we're being honest, however, I think there is actually a significant possibility the Final Fantasy VII remake could severely disappoint and it is worth keeping our expectations in check. We all want graphics so good we swear we can smell the grass of the overworld map, but at least I am trying very hard to be measured in my excitement. They say all the right things in interviews, but they could absolutely butcher this thing and we won't have a hint of that until we see another proper trailer.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
It's fine to have that in mind, but it's worth noting how each console generation has raised expectations. Most of us wouldn't even be talking about the Remake if it weren't for that PS3 Tech Demo. People absolutely do want to see this look as good as it can, and that is a huge amount of the want for a remake in the first place.

005_first_encounter_by_c780162-d86yt47.jpg

Now personally, they could have done something that looked almost cell-shaded and I would have been ecstatic. I've seen fan art that would be amazing to see in a game, that also isn't "realistic". I would be fine. But to a lot of people, and I think this has a lot to do with console expectations, they want it nearly lifelike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom