Jessie, Biggs, and Wedge's Roles in the Remake Thread

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
The entire reactor was falling apart, they would have had no idea if the catwalk was going to hold. Danger was very apparent throughout that scene, having it wobble a little would not have added much. Cloud is till the one who needed to get the piece of concrete off her leg anyway, maybe she wasn't strong enough to lift it?

I get the feeling you're pushing for this because you want her and Cloud to have that deeper connection, right? There are more ways to accomplish this than having Cloud save her from immanent death. The fact they shared those moments clearly meant something to her, regardless.

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
They still didn't know the whole thing was going to go up, Keveh. Ody, I want it because we already have a scene of him saving Tifa's life later in a more immediate fashion. I just didn't want Jessie's rescue to feel any less compared to that. And having the catwalk tilt, creak, and/or groan would have added immediacy to the danger she was in and made it feel like you really were saving her life right then and there.

Jairus

Maybe. It's still him saving her from immediate danger, though. I'm not trying to say whose should be best, I just didn't want to feel like Jessie's rescue was being made to seem inferior to Tifa's, is all. Also, as I said before, Barret tells Cloud to look after Jessie when they split up, but there's nothing to look after her from, no enemies to fight on that path. So it didn't feel like you were doing what Barret asked you to do.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't think most people are going to be comparing "rescue scenes" between Cloud's harem. We all know who ultimately got the short end of that stick anyway (or should I say "long?" God, I said I hated these jokes. Hippocrit!) so I doubt this is going to be a discussion. There'll be plenty of time to "look after Jessie" during their motorcycle escapades anyhow.

Last edited:

Jairus

I guess so. It just feels like Barret's comment is pointless if there's nothing you can actually do to carry it out.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I mean, you don't fight armed burglars every time you look after someone's pets or kids, right? I see what you mean, though. Probably would have been a bit much to include Jessie in a combat scenario if she isn't able to fight as an AI or something (granted, I don't know if she will be a temp party member later or not.)

Jairus

I know. I guess I just wanted to feel like Cloud was actually doing what Barret asked him to do. And she could have run to the side and waited while Cloud fought like she waited while he and Barret fought the sweeper if she wasn't going to be fighting as an AI at that point.

Jairus

Yeah, I did think it a little odd that she had a gun but never fired a single shot the entire time the group was there.

Jairus

No, but they are armed. And they do fight in the pillar, as we saw in the TGS trailer. So they know how to use their guns.

Jairus

It was funny, I agree, Ody. I liked it. And yes, Arianna, it should be very sad, Jessie's especially. Hopefully it happens like you said and not like in the OG where you talk to them for a single line and then move on. But I don't think SE would squander the opportunity to really make their ends memorable, even if it means changing how they happen.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Just gonna say this now, but I'd really like it if spoilers were kept out of this thread. Like, not even tagged. Arianna's post is fine because its vague, I mean really specific details. I've seen so many things I wish I hadn't, but the more specific details of Avalanche's extended role is still unknown to me, especially their final moments. I wanna keep it that way! Sorry if I'm being demanding, this is important to me.

Jairus

I agree, and I feel the same way. Let's keep them to the spoiler sub-forum. Thanks!

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I mean, you don't fight armed burglars every time you look after someone's pets or kids, right?

Nothing to add to the current convo other than the fact that this happened to me the one and only time I house/pet sat for someone :P sister and I chased him off after catching him trying to cut open the roof of my aunt's convertible. Rather stupid to chase a guy with a knife but that's adrenaline for you. So yeah, I should hope that it's not the norm!

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
No, but they are armed. And they do fight in the pillar, as we saw in the TGS trailer. So they know how to use their guns.

Of course they are armed. And I never said they don't know how to use their guns. But normally, it is Cloud and Barret who take care of the fighting. They're more used to it and/or more adept.

Jairus

I suppose. I just hope we can have them as AI guest combatants at some point. That would be nice.

Jairus

The thing is, is FFVII-R is a tight, narrative driven story. It offers some leeway and down time to do mission type things aside from the plot, but this is a heavily narrative focused game. It's chapter based. You're at the mercy of the plot's progression so, unless the stakes and the story get heavily changed and slowed down, I don't see there being lots of opportunity for those type of events with Jessie to happen.

Like, if this were FFXV? What you're talking about could happen and wouldn't be a bad thing. But the thing is, is given the plot and stakes of the plot, there's like, very few parts I could imagine that being even feasible. The times you're gonna be with Jessie are the times you'll be doing shit to drive the plot forward and the stakes are gonna be high. This sadly won't be like FFXV where you'll get to move at your own pace, chill at camp fire, shoot the shit, and spar into the night while Tifa cooks a meal and Barret laughs while enjoying a drink.

It's not about hurting anything, there's just no time and the writers aren't gonna divert from the story that hard to include stuff that would just not fit the theme. It's not an open-world, play-at-your-pace FF like XV.

But you don't know that for sure. And as I said, giving a flashback of her past would certainly allow her to be shown in a different way without compromising the narrative. And SE said that the side missions are as big as the main ones, so who's to say one of them couldn't include her dressing up for some reason or being in another outfit? SE can do whatever they want to do - it's their game.

Allow that you don't know everything. Allow that you could be wrong. Don't say what they devs will do as if you made the game yourself. You didn't. So you don't know everything. Leave room for error and allow for the possibility. The game doesn't have to be play at your own pace to include character moments and side content like giving Jessie the same opportunity Aerith and Tifa have. She should not be diminished compared to them. She should be able to get some of the same things they do.

As another example,
We're already going to go to Jessie's house, meet her parents, and have dinner there. Hardly an intense, hi-octane moment. But still part of the story. And it's not such a stretch to think that while we're there and it's already a slower and more quiet moment, Jessie might change outfits to be at home and have dinner with her parents in something more like everyday attire than battle armor. And said flashback to her acting days could happen during that same sequence, showing her all dressed up and on stage.

Oh, and XV had chapters, too. That doesn't make a difference.

Last edited:

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
But you don't know that for sure. And as I said, giving a flashback of her past would certainly allow her to be shown in a different way without compromising the narrative. And SE said that the side missions are as big as the main ones, so who's to say one of them couldn't include her dressing up for some reason or being in another outfit? SE can do whatever they want to do - it's their game.

Allow that you don't know everything. Allow that you could be wrong. Don't say what they devs will do as if you made the game yourself. You didn't. So you don't know everything. Leave room for error and allow for the possibility. The game doesn't have to be play at your own pace to include character moments and side content like giving Jessie the same opportunity Aerith and Tifa have. She should not be diminished compared to them. She should be able to get some of the same things they do.

As another example,
We're already going to go to Jessie's house, meet her parents, and have dinner there. Hardly an intense, hi-octane moment. But still part of the story. And it's not such a stretch to think that while we're there and it's already a slower and more quiet moment, Jessie might change outfits to be at home and have dinner with her parents in something more like everyday attire than battle armor. And said flashback to her acting days could happen during that same sequence, showing her all dressed up and on stage.

Oh, and XV had chapters, too. That doesn't make a difference.
I do think a flashback scene would be a good idea. Especially if it can work well within the story (maybe of her meeting the Avalanche team for the first time?) I wouldn't think her character is diminished if she doesn't get the exact same treatment as Aerith and Tifa though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
@Jairus
I thought you were asking for input on whether the player might be able to change her outfit, like with the playable cast in FFXV. If you're just asking whether she may appear in a couple of different outfits, that seems plenty possible.

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom