Kingdom Hearts III

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i don't know if i'm just learning now or forgot and am relearning that aoyagi is actually a college professor and voicing mickey mouse was a side gig for him, which sounds like an awesome way to live your life and i'm super jealous

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
now just imagine kh1 atlantica but with ursula belting out 'poor unfortunate souls' in the middle of the level

:ultros:

(also why didn't they make ultros an optional boss in atlantica, he can try to hit on ursula, do i have to come up with all your ideas for you square jeez)

i still wish there was a full map instead of just a mini-map (maybe it's because i played 3d right before starting), but i do like the scale of the levels. in the older games i remember some of the levels felt like a series of boxes (kh1 wonderland being the most noticeable, that first garden area in particular). but now there is a sense of scale

and there's people just hanging around. another thing about older worlds was that they often felt pretty empty, i think there might have been less than half a dozen townspeople in the whole previous series? actually kh2 twilight town might have had more, but the disney worlds were ghost towns. but now there's people mulling around in worlds.

anyway i'm having a good time

is there a bonus for playing the classic kingdom games? i think i've got almost all of them now but i've not touched any of them, but if i get a prize for it i will. i will power up my high powered modern hd console and play these little game & watch things for trivial digital trinkets.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
is there a bonus for playing the classic kingdom games? i think i've got almost all of them now but i've not touched any of them, but if i get a prize for it i will. i will power up my high powered modern hd console and play these little game & watch things for trivial digital trinkets.
You get a Keyblade for playing all of them. I don't think there is a high score, just set your own.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Now that that KH3 is out and played for a over 35hs, I'll say KH1 is still the overall better game in the franchise, every other entry may surpass it in a specific area (like combat, platforming, presentation, writing, etc) but still being degress below KH1 in the rest.

KH1 is basically a 8.5/10.0 game in every category.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I hear the DLC, the paid one, will be released by the end of this year. While I am looking forward to it because it's said to have a
Story expansion and another playable character(my money's on either Xion or maybe (but unlikely) Roxas)
, and I am hoping it will be out by the end of this year, the other half of me, given the last time Nomura made release year promises that ended up delayed, says that it won't be out until early in 2020 at the latest.

Still, at least it's been confirmed. Now it's waiting the discussion and confirmination on whether the series will continue or KH3 is truly the final game of the franchise.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
Had a feeling there was gonna be a gap game between KH3 and KH4, like Chain of Memories was alongside 358/2 Days(though the latter game was released after KH2 so at least it's one game before KH4.) But hey, whatever works and now I'm looking forward to that as well as KH4. Though I have a feeling the two future games(if they decide to make them) will most likely be on PS5(or whatever Sony's gonna call it-I think it'll just be PS5 if they can't come up with another name but you never know) since PS4 is almost at the end of it's life-span and I doubt a KH game will be made on Switch, especially since Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield coming out on that console this year.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Knowledge of what exactly? :mon:

The explanation regarding
Terra's return through reunification of Xehanort's heart and body thanks to the defeat of Xemnas and Ansem is a perfect example of needless convoluted nonsense.

It's Terra's present body that is restored, but it's his heart called from the past that's occupying said present body???

Why? Just... Why? How does that make any sense and not cause a sort of temporal distortion or contradiction?

Oh well, who cares, he's back. One way or another.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wait....

Fuck, I thought it was since Ultimania translations were here. I got the threads confused.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Knowledge of what exactly? :mon:

The explanation regarding
Terra's return through reunification of Xehanort's heart and body thanks to the defeat of Xemnas and Ansem is a perfect example of needless convoluted nonsense.

It's Terra's present body that is restored, but it's his heart called from the past that's occupying said present body???

Why? Just... Why? How does that make any sense and not cause a sort of temporal distortion or contradiction?

Oh well, who cares, he's back. One way or another.
I understand your confusion, but you've got one important detail wrong.
The defeat of Ansem and Xemnas led to the recompletion of Terra and Master Xehanort (As I suspected all along). The rub is that MX had control over Terra's heart so for all intents and purposes he's just a body. The Norts call Xehanort's past heart from when he first possessed Terra in BBS to occupy the present version. During the fight, Terra's actual heart (Currently restricted by the Guardian) breaks free and boots out the past Xehanort. Hey presto, Terra is back to normal. The actual mechanics of MX keeping Terra's heart at bay are a bit wishy-washy, but in a way that's pretty par the course.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
But that's not what Nomura said in the interview.

He said that Terra's restored heart is his heart from the past. So I don't get how his heart from the past can be made to somehow inhabit is his restored body of the present and it still properly be him and not just a paradoxical existence of the past inhabiting the present.

I get how Ansem and Xemnas' defeated recompleted Master Xehanort. That's not where my confusion lies at all.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
But that's not what Nomura said in the interview.

He said that Terra's restored heart is his heart from the past. So I don't get how his heart from the past can be made to somehow inhabit is his restored body of the present and it still properly be him and not just a paradoxical existence of the past inhabiting the present.

I get how Ansem and Xemnas' defeated recompleted Master Xehanort. That's not where my confusion lies at all.
No, he said Terranort's heart was from the past. I'm now assuming MX kept Terra's heart within the dark realm. Here are the exact questions from the Ultimania (KHInsider translation):

Nomura: By all rights, Terra should have been revived as himself at that point in time. However, his heart was still in the clutches of Xehanort, and it was unable to go back, and the shell of his body was the only thing that revived. Then, Xehanort brought the heart of Terranort from the past and put it in that shell of a body he once controlled.
—From when was Terra's heart inside the Guardian*?
Nomura: Terra and Xehanort's hearts were eternally struggling against each other within Terranort. This process meant Terra's heart was caught constantly moving back and forth from its original position to the Guardian. By the way, the official name of the Guardian is "the guy behind him" (laughs).

I can see why that last answer can give you the impression that regular Terra is from the past. However, when the Guardian appears to save Ven and Aqua Terranort exclaims (From the ENG script) "How?! You fell to the dark-". I think this shock goes beyond his usual annoyance when Terra was interrupting the possession before. Terra ejects from the Guardian and boots out Xehanort with Sora's help. Afterwards Terra thanks Aqua and Ven for guiding him back. I imagine the Guardian itself isn't a being from the past either, but a dark force that waits to be summoned.
And here's Terra-Xehanort's entry from the table in the Ultimania explaining the Org XIII members (From Reddit):

Terra-Xehanort | Terra's body containing Terra-Xehanort's heart from the past. | Terra's heart returns to its body, reviving Terra (Terra-Xehanort's heart is eliminated).
Sorry to continue this in the non-spoiler topic. Was a good chance to rewatch some scenes and get teary though.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Okay, I think I got a handle of it now.

Damn, it took quite an in-depth, long explanation to make sense of it but thank you :mon:

So essentially... TWO bodies for "Xehanort" came back. Xehanort's original body which his original heart inhabited, and Terra's body that was basically hollow, right?

So Terra's body was a hollow shell, filled with the heart of Terra-nort from the past. And upon his defeat... Terra's real heart came back to his body. Terra's heart was in the Guardian and subjegated in his body, all along and was able to go back to his body once freed.

That about the gist of it?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I discovered more Kingdom Hearts news! Not only Kingdom Hearts Coded Novel is getting an English release by Yen Press in August this year, but Shiro Amano, the guy who worked on all of the KH manga and the art of the KH novels is now working on a Manga Adaption on Kingdom Hearts 3!

The latest issue of Square Enix's magazine Shonen Gangan reveals that Kingdom Hearts III will be receiving a manga series. It's also been confirmed that Kingdom Hearts manga writer and artist Shiro Amano, who had announced back in 2015 that the manga series had concluded, will be returning for this series.

The release date for the manga has yet to be announced.

While it is odd that he's working on KH3 rather than going to Birth By Sleep, Coded, Dream Drop Distance and 0.2, I think maybe it'll be like when he worked on KH2, then took a break to work on and finish 358/2 Days and then finished KH2 after that, it'll be similar with the rest of the titles. However, it could very well be that Birth By Sleep was told by three different point of views that it's complicated, similar thing with Dream Drop Distance and 0.2 is short. With Coded and KH3, not much of a problem.

Still, I am seriously looking forward to this, and next week I'll be ordering the novel of Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep if I'm able to.

Ryuman

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pointlessname, Pointer
Well, Amano said he was done with KH manga after KH2 so he's obviously doing this specially. There's no point in expecting anything else after this.
------------------
In other news, Square Enix has announced that along with the other previously announced updates there will be a replacement for the Japanese voice of Olaf from Frozen. If you are unaware, Olaf is voiced by Pierre Taki, who was recently arrested for suspected use of cocaine. It is common in Japan to take this kind of action in response to drug charges. You may have heard of this case in relation to the recent halt of sales for the game Judge Eyes (English name Judgement).

Top Bottom