Kingdom Hearts

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
If you skip DDD, then you're left completely confused about why there's suddenly a sexy young bishounen version of the big bad, a reunion of every main antagonist now working together when they should all be gone, and Riku getting the best character development in the series. DDD explicitly lays out Xehanort's true end game for KH3 and it's ending even begins right before KH3, so I'm not sure how that's classified as not important.

The "Final Chapter Prologue" is also pretty important since it continues directly after BBS, and explains what happened to it's main character. And it also explains a major confrontation in KH3 too.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
I should have looked up the list of games in the KH universe before asking. I thought there were only, like, three of them plus that recent game, which has no relevance to the plot since it's rhythm-based, right? Riiiiight?

I feel like I'm too old to catch up on all of that :wacky:

Thanks for the info, anyway.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
There are currently 6 games that are feasible and worth playing at this point to get the full experience of the story.

Kingdom Hearts 1, 2, and 3. The 3 "core" games.

Then the 3 spin offs Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

I don't know how I forgot Re:Chain of Memories, holy shit. That one is probably the best spin off KH game by far, followed shortly by BBS. CoM sorta sets up everything that happens after 1 and it has the most unique and in-depth gameplay of all the spin offs. BBS is a prequel of significant importance and has it's ups and downs but is generally a solid game, albeit difficult at parts. DDD is fun and pretty much works off the same engine of BBS, and expands on it. But it has a very strange Pokemon-esque aspect added to it, but it's the only game you play as both Sora and Riku together so that makes it very interesting in its own right there.

Now there's one other game, if one was really determined and interested, they could play if they had a DS/3DS. 358/2 is a spin off game focused on Organization XIII and a certain important someone from there, but that's... Only if you want to. It's pretty repetitive and grindy, and very clearly a pick up and go handheld game that's only appealing if you like that type of action and playing with different characters and stuff. If you end up liking Organization XIII that much? Give it a shot but it's not required at all. The game is obscure and the remaster for the PS4 includes a movie depiction of its events (which isn't exactly the same thing however if you really want to play it, it's possible.)

X and Union X are the mobile titles and they're dead now. So there's no way to really play those. A movie of X is also included in the Remaster version and worth watching once. Union X is just... You can decide for yourself if it's worth reading about.

Re:Coded doesn't matter whatsoever. Like, that game is meaningless and I don't mean that facetiously. Totally skippable.

Melody of Memory is whatever. The last 20 or so minutes matter and you can youtube that. If you like rhythm games, then it's worth a shot. However, I don't so I skipped it. :monster:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I should have looked up the list of games in the KH universe before asking. I thought there were only, like, three of them plus that recent game, which has no relevance to the plot since it's rhythm-based, right? Riiiiight?

I feel like I'm too old to catch up on all of that :wacky:

Thanks for the info, anyway.
I feel like KH1 is still worth a go on its own. Without considering the rest of the series, it's a fun action RPG with a relatively simple story and a lot of that Squaresoft charm.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
There are currently 6 games that are feasible and worth playing at this point.
There should be a banner: Mako a.k.a. a living library, at your service! :manhattan:

But seriously, thank you. The explanation really makes it a bit more... manageable. I guess the "core" games are defo worth a try, depending on my free time and commitment.

I feel like KH1 is still worth a go on its own. Without considering the rest of the series, it's a fun action RPG with a relatively simple story and a lot of that Squaresoft charm.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards this idea too.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
*insert mandatory snide comment about an impending announcement of a mobile/Switch exclusive KH game with a needlessly convoluted title*

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I was talking to my friend last night about how Nomura not directing remake part 2 was probably because some new KH project was underway. I wouldn't be shocked if they announced something this year.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
It is remarkable the degree to which tamagotchis just disappeared in the US. Obviously they were never gonna maintain the craze they did in the late 90s, but it's still surprising how it never maintained a background presence, a la pokemon go or something. I know you can still buy them, but I never see anyone with one, except one friend who still makes a point of being into them.

Reactions: Wol
Top Bottom