Last Film You've Seen

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Last week I saw Life of Pi. I'm impressed. I love that the movie unfolded lightheartedly, just like the book. I can't wait for the Blu-ray to come out.

Yesterday I finally finished my copy of The Boondock Saints featuring a wrinkle-free, butt nekkid Norman Reedus. Has a lot of explicit dialogue like Pulp Fiction. Some bits were corny, but overall it's entertaining.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
God bless America, it was pretty good, though the ending was kind of a bummer I guess basically they're saying humanity is fucked.

Currently watching Elf. I know it came out years ago but I never got round to seeing it until now. A few laugh out loud moments. Which is nice.

....although it can't be that good if I've come on TLS while watching it.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Last night my roommate and I watched Pocahontas on Netflix. Good times. All time fave animated Disney movie from my childhood.

Then I let her talk me into watching Pocahontas II...

Now I remember why I liked pretending that movie never existed.

AvecAloes

Donator
Watched The World is Not Enough and Elf this weekend.

I liked TWiNE (ha, twine?), though I think I may have liked Goldeneye better, but I still like the Craig era of Bond movies the best so far. I haven't seen the older films (Moore, Connery, etc) yet, though, so I don't really have a lot to choose from. Still, I think I'll probably tend to go with the ones that feel the most plausible, and frankly, I think the Craig era has that in the bag.

I've seen Elf several times over, but Force had never seen it, so I made him watch it with me :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I watched Dr No last night. It was a great film, but the difference between old Bond films and new Bond films is as stark as the difference between old Doctor Who episodes and new Doctor Who episodes. As with Who, the main difference is the pacing. Dr No also succumbed to a certain extent to the expected questionable gender and race tropes of its day, although for the early sixties it wasn't really that bad.

Incidentally I think I had seen the end of the film before; or at least, I remembered what happened to the villain at the end of the film. I'm pretty sure I hadn't seen the rest of it before though.

AvecAloes

Donator
I believe I have seen the last 5-10 minutes of every Brosnan Bond film, but only two of them in their entirety (and even those two were just in the past week, obviously).

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
"The hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy": Read the book before the movie and I have to say that I was quite satisfied with both versions, even when the movie leaves some of the book jokes unexplained to those who haven't read it, and include more things that are in the following novels.

Bilbo Baggins Martin Freeman is a very good Arthur Dent. Well, I liked the entire cast but Bilbo Martin is my favorite.

Also, I noticed that Vogons looked awesomely made, to then discover that they were made by the Henson Company. Go figure :awesome:

"Phoenix Wright": One of the few good film adaptations from a videogame. It's a pity that
they focus almost entirely on Maya's and Edgey's trials, rushing all the rest to mere mentions
. But on the bright side, they spared Edgeworth a lot of agony
not being chase around by Oldbag
. Then again, I would have loved to see that XDDDD

One of my complains is that von Karma doesn't look as intimidating as in the game, but get so distracted by Edgeworth that I tend to forget it XDD

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Bilbo Baggins/Arthur Dent is also John Watson, you know :<

Last watched: The Spy Who Loved Me. Classic.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Bilbo Baggins/Arthur Dent is also John Watson, you know :<

The reason why I got to know such a wonderful actor.

It's only that... well, both Arthur and Bilbo start their stories as normal guys in a bathrobe who witness how adveture literally knocks on their doors.

Lex

Administrator
Well the Hobbit :monster:

Now I want to watch the LOTR trilogy again. Then possibly read the books again.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
The_Hobbit-_An_Unexpected_Journey.jpeg

I think a lot has already been said about this movie. I know critics have had mixed reactions, but what's my opinion? I'll just cut it short and say honestly, I enjoyed it. It's a thrilling roller-coaster ride that's long but still manages to retain its charm. And just to stress out; this is a movie based on a children's book. Don't expect as much emotional depth as from the LOTR trilogy. And if you're really thinking that 'The Hobbit' has any chance of surpassing what the LOTR trilogy achieved, your hopes are up WAY too high.

Rating: 4/5.

Evangelion_3.0_You_Can_Not_Redo_Poster.jpg

Third installment in the rebooted Evangelion movies takes a big departure from the original series. Since the movie was in Japanese (sans English subtitles) and my fluency of the language is not quite 100%, I couldn't quite pick up everything that happened. But as far as I know, the story is set 14 years after the previous film, where everything's been pretty much....obliterated. Nerv is practically dead as most of its crew has left to form a new organization called Wille, led by Misato Katsuragi (no Kaji in sight though). Shinji has been lying dormant this whole time and hasn't aged a bit, let alone Asuka and Mari (for some reason I'm not aware of). Once he awakens, our hero is only treated with hostility from his friends. And it doesn't end there...

Some new characters have little dialog and hardly much depth, Mari and Asuka surprisingly take a back seat role here as the film mainly focuses its attention on Shinji and his relationship with Kaworu.

Decent follow-up on the whole, and the ending offers us yet another cliff-hanger. I won't reveal it, but I'm surely looking forward to the next (and supposedly final) film.

Rating: 3.5/5.

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
Started watching "The Prestige", but I really wasn't in the mood for witnessing how two men destroyed each other :/ So I left it halfway, only
YAY, David Bowie!!!!!! 8D

Prometheus

The only Alien film I've ever seen was the fourth movie (a stomach-churning, forgetable film), so my knowledge of the xenomorphs was pretty vage. Thankfuly is not necessary for this movie.

People claim that this movie doesn't explain many things. For me, the only thing left to imagine/ponder about is
how far Noomi's character will go on that spaceship before being blasted by the Engineers's weapons

The reason why
they wanted to destroy us
? Probably because
they saw us as defective, so they wanted to wipe us out and start from scratch

About the actors, I rarely have anything bad to say, and this is no exception. Fassbender should receive an award for his performance of creepy, creepy David, and Idris Elba is a BAMF. Theron's character is as unlikable as possible
and there was a scene on which I actually wondered if she was an undercover android

Yeah, I liked it.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The Hobbit

Loved it. If you can watch it in 3D, then do so. Love the new look Wargs and Radagast the Brown, especially.

It was interesting to see at the beginning how alike Martin Freeman and Ian Holm (the two Bilbos) actually look.

Also, totally impressed by how Radagast took down the Witch-King. I recognised the look of the uncloaked Ringwraiths immediately (thanks Games Workshop!). Radagast, the "weakest" of the three main wizards beat it into ectoplasm! I then started to mutter "Morgul Blade" to myself moments before Radagast handed it to Gandalf (again, thanks Games Workshop!).

Utterly amazed when it was revealed that it wasn't just any old Ringwraith the Seventh Doctor had duffed up, but the Witch-King of Angmar him/itself!

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Les-miserables-movie-poster1.jpg

Ambitious and grandiose film adaptation of the famous musical is long but still entertaining for what it is. Remember folks, this IS a musical, so expect 90% of the dialog to be sung; at first it feels a bit awkward but you get used it as the story goes along. Kudos to the actors (gotta love Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen) and their wonderful performances.

Although I have to say that I thought Anne Hathaway was seriously miscast. Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong in her singing voice (and say whatever else you want about her), but her acting on screen was TERRIBLE. I couldn't watch her sing 'I Dreamed a Dream' with a straight face. Her overacting simply made me cringe. Good thing she was only in the movie for a short time. *sigh*

Rating: 4/5.

Lex

Administrator
I am DYING to see Les Mis in the cinema, I'm just furious that it isn't coming out in the UK til next month. Fucking ridiculous if you think about it. And I think I already preliminarily agree about Anne Hathaway, I got a bit of that from the "sneak peak" trailers.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
....It is not Christmas Day! Stop cheating and viewing it earlier!
I'm already getting weird vibes from the extreme use of close-ups in the trailers though. Is this a constant throughout? :/

Glaurung

AKA
Mama Dragon
At last decided to watch Star Trek: The Future Begins.

By the way, thanks for telling me to do so, Aaron.

I normally hate reboots just to make more money off an already exausted franchise but, I don't know, this movie got me hooked up, grinning at the old series' references, or the changes made to the characters' lives due to that time-travel incident.

I remember that, in the old series,
it was Kirk whom Uhura had the hots for. It seems logical that this time around, with Kirk being an unruly young man, she choses Spock instead. I can't blame her. Thinking is the new sexy :awesome:

Speaking of which, I can't wait to see Into Darkness :joy:

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
The Amazing Spider-Man

The Lizard was better realised than I expected, and as he was one of my favourite Spidey villains as a kid, this pleases me. ^_^

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Wreck-It Ralph.

Yes, it came to my country just now. *sigh*

Regardless to say I loved the shit out of this movie. It was fun, imaginative, original, the references and Easter Eggs were a delight and I admit I teared up in a few scenes,
when Ralph destroys Vaneloppe's race car, or when he's diving, sacrificing himself.

It's one of the few movies where I would welcome a sequel.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Top Bottom