Last Film You've Seen

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
The Dark Knight Rises

I think it's a satisfying conclusion but I have issues with it.
I think the villain deaths are lame. Batman refusing to use guns caused the death of many, many people. Some parts are dragging.

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
Th darkest hour. I feel as if this was a straight to DVD flic. Nothing really happened and the aliens look like Shit.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
The Dark Knight Rises

I think it's a satisfying conclusion but I have issues with it.
I think the villain deaths are lame. Batman refusing to use guns caused the death of many, many people. Some parts are dragging.

Batman used to use guns you know. But he's had his no guns policy ever since Batman #1. One think they've done with Batman in recent years that I hate is giving him a no killing policy. Batman is supposed to be dark and gritty, but making him not kill people makes him significantly less dark and gritty. I prefer a Batman who kills people to one who doesn't. I can't remember when he got the no killing policy. I can't remember if it's been that way since Batman started getting campy, or if they made him go back to killing people after his campy years ended before giving him a no killing policy.

I do like how Bane was portrayed in The Dark Knight Rises. Much much much much much much much better than his portrayal in Batman & Robin.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
Anything was better than his portrayal (if you can call it that) in Batman & Robin. Tom Hardy gave a good performance but that still wasn't Bane.

Ghost X

Argo

Not my kind of movie. Suspense/thriller I guess. However, I feel the atmosphere of the situations depicted throughout the film were caught well, and was believable for the most part. 3.5/5 stars.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Quick run through of recent movies I've watched:

Paranorman: Spooky fun movie. (3.5/5).
Hotel Transylvania: Ditto, but much more cartoony. (3.5/5).
Paranormal Activity 4: Not that bad. I don't know what it is that people hate so much about this movie. (3.5/5).
Skyfall: Good (but not great), but probably one of the best Bond films we've had in a while. (4/5).
Moonrise Kingdom: Typically quirky (Wes Anderson style) but rather intriguing. (4/5).
The Royal Tenenbaums: Dark comedy about a dysfuntional family. Not bad. (3/5).
Fight Club: Gritty but not terribly appealing. (2.5/5).
Piranha 3DD: Boring with a few funny moments. (2/5).
Wreck-It Ralph: A must-see of this season. Great story, great idea, any video game lover will get a kick out of this. (4.5/5)
Argo: Intense yet not going overboard with the action. (4/5).
Lincoln: Very good for what it is (a political movie). (4.5/5).
Rise of the Guardians: Decent fantasy kids film. (3.5/5).

Now for the last movie I saw:

Life_of_Pi_2012_Poster.jpg

Ang Lee's latest thought-provoking film, based on the famous spiritual book of the same name, will leave you much to think about and perhaps discuss amongst your friends/family. Dazzling visuals and a unique story make this an enjoyable watch. Though I wish the ending wasn't so puzzling. I know the ending's meant to be ambiguous (and I do like ambiguity sometimes), but however way I look at it, it only leaves me with unanswered questions.

Eg If we're to assume that the story Pi told about the animals was true, just why did the tiger run away at the end so heartlessly and leave Pi on his own? Also, what really was the island Pi found with the meerkats and algae all about?

I haven't read the book by the way (gomen). So for anyone who has read the book and understands its themes better, please fill me in.

Rating: 4/5.

BTW: Gerard Depardieu's role was pretty much wasted.

Ang Lee's latest thought-provoking film, based on the famous spiritual book of the same name, will leave you much to think about and perhaps discuss amongst your friends/family. Dazzling visuals and a unique story make this an enjoyable watch. Though I wish the ending wasn't so puzzling. I know the ending's meant to be ambiguous (and I do like ambiguity sometimes), but however way I look at it, it only leaves me with unanswered questions.

Eg If we're to assume that the story Pi told about the animals was true, just why did the tiger run away at the end so heartlessly and leave Pi on his own? Also, what really was the island Pi found with the meerkats and algae all about?

I haven't read the book by the way (gomen). So for anyone who has read the book and understands its themes better, please fill me in.

Rating: 4/5.

BTW: Gerard Depardieu's role was pretty much wasted.
Honestly, in regards to the ending without giving away too much, I don't think it matters. Depends entirely on which you prefer, and for the story thats told, it's all just as valid.

In the book at least, Richard Parker never really showed much affection if any towards Pi, mainly ignoring him unless food was involved. They reach stable land, so he's off.
As to meerkat island... I haven't plunged too deep into it in regards to talking with people, but I've never come across someone who had a confident version of what it was. in regards to the human story I mean. Personally, I think it was one big allegory for the cannibalism.

I'm going to see the movie tonight (so looking forward to it you have no idea)

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
Prometheus. It was alright Though I had a pair of breast bouncing in my face half the time. :wacky:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Remind me to never go to the cinema with you, :monster:.

(srsly, don't fuck in the cinema, it's a dick move for the people that just want to watch a movie. Literally :wacky: )

anothercid

Human, being
Leaving Las Vegas. Surprisingly bad. The main performances feel like they belong to different movies; Elisabeth Shue is playing it like she's in a serious drama, while Nicolas Cage thinks he's in Fear and Loathing. Direction is similarly schizophrenic. Whole thing is a lot sillier than I was lead to expect.

Charles Xavier

Pro Adventurer
Cloud_Atlas_Poster.jpg

Ambitious movie explores six different stories from six different time periods that are seemingly connected to one another. It's a mixed bag on the whole. Has its ups and downs; highlights are the stories with Jim Broadbent trying to escape an old folks home (and contend with Hugo "Smith" Weaving in a hilarious nurse getup) and Doona Bae exploring futuristic Seoul in a Blade Runner-esque distopian society. Others involving a bisexual musician, a South Pacific ship voyage, a 1970s crime chase thriller and a post-apocalytpic tribe are pretty okay but nothing too special.

Clustered narrative and constant time leaping feels awkward and makes you wonder whether or not the film would have been better off had the stories been shown separately as an anthology and in chronological order.

Love it or hate it, you gotta commend the filmmakers for their effort in making this high-budget independent film.

Rating: 3/5.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Chronicle.

I was surprised by how much I actually ended up liking it in the end.
Also, I love Dane DeHaan (who is incidentally your next Harry Osborn).

AvecAloes

Donator
Watched Goldeneye on Sunday. I'd seen bits and pieces of it here and there, but this was the first time I'd seen it in its entirety. I'd been griping about Pierce Brosnan, so Force wanted me to see a good Brosnan Bond movie. It was better than I thought it would be :monster: although I almost lost it right in the beginning when he drives the motorcycle off the cliff to dive after the plane :wacky:

anothercid

Human, being
Saw Evil Dead: Army of Darkness for the first time in a good few years, and was shocked to discover that it's...not very good. Dumb, not very funny and, crucially, hardly any gore. Why is the army of darkness made up mostly of skeletons? SKELETONS DON'T BLEED.

Also saw a stop-motion animated film called Mary and Max, about a lonely Australian girl and a lonely American Asperger's sufferer in his forties who become unlikley pen-pals. Exactly the sort of shit that makes me cry in front of flatmates when I'm trying to pretend to be emotionally stable. Loved it.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Also saw a stop-motion animated film called Mary and Max, about a lonely Australian girl and a lonely American Asperger's sufferer in his forties who become unlikley pen-pals. Exactly the sort of shit that makes me cry in front of flatmates when I'm trying to pretend to be emotionally stable. Loved it.

I saw this a few months ago, really enjoyed it. It was funny, yet miserable - like life :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I maed poast about this last night, but have either done so accidentally in another thread, or these constant server errors decided it wasn't worthy poasting.

Anyway, I really want to see Cloud Atlas, but it's not out in the UK until fuck knows when. Possibly next year at some point :monster:

Top Bottom