Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^the "if they pull it off right" thing is key...

It doesn't exactly help that I view more then half of the XIII characters as XIII versions of characters from other FFs...

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
^^the "if they pull it off right" thing is key...

It doesn't exactly help that I view more then half of the XIII characters as XIII versions of characters from other FFs...

i always felt the xiii characters were poking fun at final fantasy character tropes in general: the stoic solider, the genki girl, the father figure, the blonde idiot who thinks he's the hero of the story, etc...

only to actually subvert a lot of these tropes later on

Splintered

unsavory tart
*smacks forehead*

Okay so tie in novels say that the fal'cie Cactaur is the one that turned Snow into a l'cie. And from the trailers we can guess that the l'cie thing is going to be an issue for Snow.

So what do the new screenshots show?

10782M_fix.jpg

It could be just design but there's hope for fal'cie maybe? Snow's focus was to fight with Serah, he failed it but the time crash prevented him from becoming a Cieth... probably.

But considering his bio says that he protects his town, and a screen later has Snow telling someone that "they will protect them, won't they- there's no need for me" meanwhile doubling over with the l'cie brand burning.

There's still hope for my Cieth!Snow theory yet.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
*smacks forehead*

Okay so tie in novels say that the fal'cie Cactaur is the one that turned Snow into a l'cie. And from the trailers we can guess that the l'cie thing is going to be an issue for Snow.

10782M_fix.jpg

It could be just design but there's hope for fal'cie maybe? Snow's focus was to fight with Serah, he failed it but the time crash prevented him from becoming a Cieth... probably.

But considering his bio says that he protects his town, and a screen later has Snow telling someone that "they will protect them, won't they- there's no need for me" meanwhile doubling over with the l'cie brand burning.

There's still hope for my Cieth!Snow theory yet.

I wanna hear your theory, I say the brand's countdown is frozen but you can still go cie'th from an intense situation.

Snow reminds me of how Hope was, broken but not enough to transform.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I wanna hear your theory, I say the brand's countdown is frozen but you can still go cie'th from an intense situation.
There wasn't much to my theory except I thought Snow was going to be a Cieth or a partly transformed Cieth.

His focus wasn't time based as much as goal based (either save her or not), and the minute she died it shouldn't matter the time- he should have changed. But the mythology says otherwise, and this game proved that he didn't go Cieth.

But still, there's a large amount of focus on him being a l'cie and his brand affecting him. Plus the fact whatever weapon he has is made out of crystal (and looks weirdly like a half of crystallized cocoon), he's got statues of the fal'cie that turned him to a l'cie, and he's talking as if he's going to be gone soon, we either save him from turning Cieth, or he turns Cieth and Lightning saves him with a world reboot.
Snow reminds me of how Hope was, broken but not enough to transform.
Right, the more mental stress you are under, the more your brand is forced to progress. Although I'm not sure mental stress is doing it, there's been 500 years of his mourning. It could be that protecting Yusnaan kept him sane, and since he thinks he is not needed or the world is ending that's no longer with him.

The only other things I can think of is that Lightning being there did something with time and it began to countdown- and that affects the brand, or that there's still a way to fight for Serah- his focus was never complete, and that time is coming soon.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
i am glad the japanese release is november so i can rub it in :sadpanda:

if i have the money for it

because i definitely won't have the money for this 26000 yen boxset with all three lightning games, artbook, select soundtrack from the three games, and a playarts kai figure with colouring unique to this set
http://store.jp.square-enix.com/detail/SE-E0110

I want one damn good reason that coloring isn't what her outfit has in the actual game. It would be an improvement.

Also, that box thing is way too expensive for what's included -- two games you already have, a third you can buy for less, truncated editions of complete soundtracks you can get anywhere else, a book of art you can probably find online, and an action figure with exclusive coloring.

The art book will probably be high quality and pretty at least -- and I'm sure the images will still look nicer than what you can find online -- but other than that and the action figure, what incentive is there to get this, really?

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I want one damn good reason that coloring isn't what she has in the game. It would be an improvement.
Can't you customize colors on her outfits? I thought I read it somewhere I might be wrong?

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
*smacks forehead*

10782M_fix.jpg

i don't even know why but i cant stop laughing like everyone in town revering that stupid cactus thing seriously and it's just in the middle of town like :O this is the funniest thing to me okay bow down to your cactus god

Farron

If the sky comes falling down
AKA
Hallelujah
Poor Snow. I always thought that you were awesome. I want to give him a hug which sounds kind of pathetic but yeahs. :sadpanda:

I always loved his " SEEEEAARAHHHH " ! Yelling. It always made me rofl.

Hopefully you get healed from your depression man and get back to that outgoing man that we knew in Final Fantasy XIII. But keep the Zidane dagger sword and black clothes, that shit is hot.

My dream ending would be a ghost of Serah appearing telling Snow to get his shit together and Snow yelling " SEEEEERAHHHH " !

And then Snow cries and understands and yells " SERRRRAHHH " one last time and skips off with Lightning, Hope and Sazh into the sunset.

Mwynn

Tenderness
I'm glad that the trailer gave off an idea of how large the environments are.
tumblr_mnzlkhnkDQ1r3rqdjo1_500.gif

ac4qbm.png

So from that we can presume that the world is fairly huge. And I believe there are lands covered by the clouds at the upper left corner of Nova Chrysalia.

Splintered

unsavory tart
The FF wikia is saying that Yuusan is located where Valhalla once was, but I can't find a source. Not that I doubt it, but it's amusing to see Valhalla turn into Serendipity.

Also why doesn't Noel have a profile on the website D:

Mwynn

Tenderness
The FF wikia is saying that Yuusan is located where Valhalla once was, but I can't find a source. Not that I doubt it, but it's amusing to see Valhalla turn into Serendipity.

Look at my post above. I screencapped it from the official website in the World section.

Also why doesn't Noel have a profile on the website D:
This D:

(Can I just say that I'm really dying to see Hope oh my god)

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Has anyone else noticed that the crystal emblem of Lightning Return's is similar to the crystal on which rested the throne of Valhalla?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So, I have to be the party pooper who asks:

-Why are there only 13 days be fore the world ends (again)?
-And why is this known ahead of time?

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Si, I have to be the party pooper who asks:
Nonsense, if you were not here to defecate on such celebrations, this thread would be lacking.
-Why are there only 13 days be fore the world ends (again)?
Probably because the sequels are less based on the story and more on how to play with interesting gameplay concepts >___>

But also, the world is going to reboot shortly, maybe.
-And why is this known ahead of time?
Newest trailer mentions an oracle drive so I'm assuming there is one last prophecy floating around that states that Lightning will return soon before the world falls. It's also probably why the demos mention that some cults are going around killing people that look like Lightning, they saw a vague description and went from there. Although most people aren't aware the days are ending.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Thanks for the explanation. I guess there really aren't many details yet.

So, folks know Lightning is supposed to be Nova Chrysalia's Kara Thrace, but only she knows about the 13 days thing?

You know, this has been a really weird FF series. You have to give Square kudos for trying it, but sometimes I really think "what the fuck am I playing."

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
First question I have regarding that... What's a Kara Thrace?

(Sorry, I am not familiar with stuff lately.)

Also, what's the point of the 13 days anyway? Isn't it Lightning's job to just like...give an eviction notice so that people can move into the new world when Bhunivelze remakes it? Kinda like getting kicked out of an old apartment to move into a new one?

Fangu

Great Old One
First question I have regarding that... What's a Kara Thrace?
You. Go look into it. NAO! :P

On that topic, I don't think Lightnings and Karas stories really have that much in common. But, it's a discussion I'm not getting into because drawing similarities and debating that is of zero interest to me. They are two separate universes with two characters I hold very dear. Let's hope Lightnings story finishes less Deus Ex Machina than Karas though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh, I wouldn't hope for that. Lightning's story has literally been Deus ex Machina every step of the way.

... Much like Kara Thrace's. :awesome:

Except her story was way better. :monster:

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I dunno...I just, never got into Battlestar Galactica. Just didn't appeal to me I guess...

Anyways, I haven't seen the new trailer yet.

All I really care about in this game usually are the sword/battle mechanics, like being able to equip cool weapons and such.

Otherwise, most RPGs consist of some poor shmoe trapped in a war leading from one conflict to the next until they're Level 99 Oh there was a PLOT to that? I'm sorry it's been a while since I read one of THOSE. Also is anyone expecting Hookers to show up in Yusnaan's Red Light District along with Yakuza???

Storm XIII

Lv. 25 Adventurer
"The saying goes that a savior appears on the final day, and she tries to destroy the world. Then a hero appears and stops her plan. You're telling me that means a damn thing?"

Is Lightning evil now? O_o

Top Bottom