Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Splintered

unsavory tart
They said before that all the characters would return and get a satisfying conclusion, whatever that may mean. I hope it extends to Caius as well.
As for "Clope," yes that's LightningxHope -- Claire+Hope.
I usually see it as HopeRai on tumblr. I generally avoid the whole thing, I'm not a fan. *shrugs*

That said, there was a fight in the tags from shippers vs anti shippers not too long ago. That was fun.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
I don't care what outfit she wears so long as she can use First Tsurugi or Buster Sword!

Curfew zone in the Ark seems like a nice place to relax and strategize your next missions, since time doesn't seem to pass in that area.

I wonder if there'll be a way to teleport there or something.

Zelda often had mechanics like that (if not right away, you'd earn it eventually).

I'd like to know if other means of transportation (besides Chocobos and the Rail system of course) will be available.

FFXIV uses Magitek Armor....I hope that's in this too, I'd love to pilot a Dreadnought.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Everything about LightningxHope bewilders me equally. *shrugs*

Oh and ign has their version of the demo out. It's the same thing but you can actually hear the sound, including battle music, Lightning's battle phrases, the victory songs, etc

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
lol I hear a lot of button mashing in the menu. Someone was impatient.

Dat error sound

Eidolons which appeared in Final Fantasy XIII and briefly in Final Fantasy XIII-2 will not appear in their original forms as they were created by Etro who is now powerless (per the ending of Final Fantasy XIII-2).

I got an FFVI vibe from this.

I wonder what happens if Caius(if he appears) tries to use his incarnate summoning.

Splintered

unsavory tart
minor update detailing special monsters in chaos. They look like they're the challenge monsters, like the distortion monsters in XIII-2, but with chaos.

http://squareportal.net/2013/06/21/new-lightning-returns-screenshots-and-details-chaos/
We got you Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII news with brand new screenshots and information on chaos.

Remember when Lumina asked Lightning: “You can see in this stuff?” when they were standing in the chaos in E3 2013 trailer/demo? This chaos represents the upcoming destruction of the world.

chaosinfusions_image_1.jpg

These chaos “concentrations” will appear to random locations and monsters near will become even more powerful. However, if you have a courage to go and beat them, you will likely receive rare and useful items.
chaosinfusions_image_2.jpg

To find these “distortions” you can follow people and their behavior. When they face the chaos, they try to avoid and escape from it as best as they could. Make sure that your HP and gear is fixed and full that you are ready for these challenging battles since Lightning won’t get her HP back after battles unlike in earlier installments of FFXIII-saga.
battle_image_10.jpg

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Those distortions look like recycled Rift gates from FFXIII-2... Not that that's a bad thing.

Would be nice to explore the Void now and again... DAT SEA OF STARS.

LunarSkye

Pro Adventurer
AKA
CL, Prompto
I hate Lightning's outfit. It looks like they said "hey, lets just throw this random shit together and see if it looks cool!". I know it's Final Fantasy but damn.

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I hate Lightning's outfit. It looks like they said "hey, lets just throw this random shit together and see if it looks cool!". I know it's Final Fantasy but damn.

I'll be using Etro's Armor in my game.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Maybe it's a plan to get you to buy the DLC outfits. Making awful defaults :P I know I really wanted that summoner outfit for Serah in 13-2, but I still refused to pay for it. I got that free one with the shoulderboards.

LunarSkye

Pro Adventurer
AKA
CL, Prompto
Maybe it's a plan to get you to buy the DLC outfits. Making awful defaults :P I know I really wanted that summoner outfit for Serah in 13-2, but I still refused to pay for it. I got that free one with the shoulderboards.
Didn't even think of that. Square think they slick.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
The interviewer then asked, “So basically, Lightning has officially rejected Hope?” Toriyama-san and Kitase-san just kinda looked at each other and did not answer. Then the interviewer, desperate for some kind of comment, asked, “So did Hope (the younger one) have any feelings for Lightning?” Again, the two did not answer. XD Humorously frustrated, the interviewer burst out, “So what kind of relationship did these two actually have!?” Toriyama-san finally spoke up and said, “To Lightning, Hope was like a younger brother.” The interviewer let out a sigh and said, “Ahh… Poor Hope.” LOL But then Kitase-san added, “But I know many of the fans still get excited by the cute sibling-ish relationship between them.”

i love how the reaction here is silent disgust

i was afraid their might be some ship teasing because the pairing was so popular, but i'm happy to see they stuck with the family route. good on u guys

Splintered

unsavory tart
I really am glad they confirmed them as a sibling relationship. I just couldn't see Hoperai, but I still really enjoyed their interaction as this maternal/cool big sis/mentor kind of deal. Although I'm kind of miffed that of all the questions to ask about Hope or any of the characters, it's about the possibility of Lightning having a pedo crush in OG!Hope rather than... well anything.
Considering some of the crap they spit out, I might actually buy it if I don't have to look at liberator outfit. But hey, there's 80 of them, there's bound to be something I like. It just feels like they need someone to tell them to edit their designs. Final Fantasy has always been A LOT and actually I really like that about them... but there's something said for too much.

Then again I'm probably picky. I didn't like the summoner outfit either, my favorite was the free dlc one. They DID say that you could get Lightning's original outfit, which is one of my favorites. So I'm not too upset.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Maybe it's my shipping goggles talking, but I didn't read those comments about the interview as Kitase so much confirming the death of Clope as playing coy.

The interviewer asks if Lightning has rejected Hope (question about their present-day status). Kitase and Toriyama look at each other -- is this silent disgust? Annoyance? Or possibly looking to one another for an answer that doesn't give too much away?

The interviewer then asks if Hope had romantic inclinations toward Lightning when he was younger. No response again. Why?

Finally, the interviewer asks what kind of relationship they had (past tense) -- and Kitase says that Hope was (again, past tense) like a younger brother to Lightning. His only response was about a past-tense question and he wouldn't confirm or deny anyone having romantic feelings at any point past or present.

Sounds like he's hiding something to me.

Or this could be wishful thinking. :monster:

Splintered

unsavory tart
Hm? Sorry, I can't work out what word you missed here...
Design wise, there's always been lots of... stuff. Details that don't need to be there. People complain about Nomura's belts, and Amano has a love of beads and capes. But no matter how weird I always liked them. Here... I don't know. I at least can see the Batmanesque imagery in the default one I guess.

Like the image with the weird ass pose, I kind of liked it until I got a close up and it was, ehhhh, you could have afforded to to take away a few of the dangling straps. It went to the point that a decent idea turned into a clusterfuck, an overdesigned mess that actually is distracting to look at it. And it's not like the core concepts are bad, but if someone went to them, pulled them away and told them to calm the fuck down on the strange details it would be better. It could still be crazy, but not look like a mess.

I wonder if it's every person designing each of the clothes though, I'd actually really like to see different takes from different people. A few of them that popped up weren't too bad I guess.

The interviewer asks if Lightning has rejected Hope (question about their present-day status). Kitase and Toriyama look at each other -- is this silent disgust? Annoyance? Or possibly looking to one another for an answer that doesn't give too much away?
Okay now I kind of want to see the interview because I took it as the same way as Zee did. I thought they were quiet because it wasn't anything that ever crossed their mind. They only ever described them like sibling-ish (I actually misread the translation the first time and thought they said they have a sibling-ish relationship in LR as well).

A long pause of silence can mean a lot I suppose.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Still, I hope Lightning gets a Buster Sword or Masamune at one point!

She could be wearing a Bikini and I wouldn't care at that point.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
I thought they were quiet because it wasn't anything that ever crossed their mind. They only ever described them like sibling-ish (I actually misread the translation the first time and thought they said they have a sibling-ish relationship in LR as well).

yeah same

it'd be like if someone asked neil druckmann "so did ellie ever have a crush on joel or vice versa?" i think i'd sit there in stunned silence for a while, too.

hope and lightning's relationship was a surrogate mother/child relationship (or brother/sister, which is probably going to be more how it is in the new game since he's older). sure people can ship whatever they want, but in canon, they clearly don't perceive each other as viable romance options. lighting especially.

Fangu

Great Old One
^ I'm glad you brought up that quote. Shipping is tough business :monster:

Well, considering this is SE, they're not gonna hand it to us anyway, are they. They're gonna confirm Serah and Snow (again) and then leave vague hints all over about the other couplings (especially Fang and Vanille, WHY SQUARE JUST COME OUT AND SAY IT) for us to write long shipping argument posts about for years to come. >_>

Re: Hope and Lightning, I'm kinda meh. It would be weird storytelling if SE put them together, I can't see it happening. Throwing hints, sure. And would it be weird if adult!Hope falls for Lightning, well not really. The other way around is a bit more ew. But I don't want to see Lightning ending up with anyone. That's not a major thing about her story. She's not a love interest, she's the hero. I'll let her have a little ONS to calm her needs, but that's all she's getting in my book :P

Groodon

That XIII guy
Yeah, Lightnings thoughts are more towards Serah than anything else. Though I would really like to see some emotion coming from the only confirmed couple in the game. When they were away from eachother they always speak about how much they miss eachother, and then when they met in XIII-2, they barely looked at eachother. It was one of the moments I'd been waiting for....

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Since I'm an Anti-Shipper, I'll just say this:

In Squeenix's defense, they aren't trying to make a romance novel, or a erogedating sim, they're just trying to reinventmake a role-playing game.

Top Bottom