SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
This reminds me of when Cloud saw a montage of those who were important to him AC against Sephiroth and people got caught up in the order of images shown and which characters had more scenes, etc :pinkmonster:

Lol I mean, I'm not really on that wavelength. My point mostly just comes from the text and the script relative to the cutscene. Like I said though, I don't have the book myself and can't pull up the full page, but if that is from the Voice Script section, then it'd be a lot easier to understand this outside of just isolating that specific line out of context.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Well it is the voice script section - from where else would that be? The red text is precisely explaining stuff that we might have missed.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I mean, we knew what Midgar doctors were like in "The Kids Are Alright."

One doctor literally lied about Evan needing future surgery to save his life, leading his mother to desperately save up gil for it and risk her life just.. for lolz. "Shady" doesn't even begin to describe them. I'd rather trust a Turk than some random doc from the undercity.
I think you’re in the wrong thread Mako ?

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
I am not sure why it matters if Aerith is jealous or uncomfortable or not that Cloud looked at Tifa first. She is allowed to be.

Not long ago weren't we talking about how Tifa was jealous or uncomfortable when Aerith grabbed Cloud's arm earlier in the train graveyard.

Being jealous of someone is not always a negative emotion. It is just how you deal with it, and if you allow it to possess you, is where it turns into a negative emotion.

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
I am not sure why it matters if Aerith is jealous or uncomfortable or not that Cloud looked at Tifa first. She is allowed to be.

Since this is like, the second time this has been said, I feel like I'm being strawman'd a bit here? Like I said, that's not really the wavelength I'm on. We're just talking about text. If that's what the ACTUAL text said, then I'd have nothing to say. I'm speaking from a point of view of how people are interpreting the line within this section of the book, which my flag only goes off because "jealousy/uncomfortable" isn't what the word means when it's describing a personality/feeling. It could be a colloquialism for that of sorts, maybe? But ,I haven't found that to be the case.

Is that line, "少し熱いくなった" a stage direction for how the VA should deliver the line?

Apparently it's meant to represent stuff we don't know? I'm not sure, but stage direction or just giving character introspection makes sense to me given this section.

minami758

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Miiwoo

Eerie

Fire and Blood
It’s like the line describing Cloud’s memory of Tifa in chapter 1 where in red you can read “but in fact Tifa did not notice him” which indicates that Jenova modified his memory - especially with the green added effect. So why would the text in red describing Aerith in a situation we already knew about - that she’s speaking passionately? To me it indicates something that was obfuscated - ie her feelings when she sees Cloud looking at Tifa.

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
from what I'm getting out of this scene is:
1. Aerith is in her full Cetra mode and tries to make the team understand that Sephirioth is a menace to the Plantet. That he has no empathy or mercy in him because there is no one he loves, hence he doesn't care if he inflicts misery on others
2. Aerith mentions that for them there is something they love and want to protect
3. Game/script shows us that Cloud looks over at Tifa after Aerith mentions that
4. Aerith is like a coach trying to hype her team before the last inning

That's all

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I don’t know but having a scene that shows Aerith’s feelings evolving is not surprising? I mean for all the Zack we saw, they are following the OG and Aerith did develop feelings for Cloud. Wouldn’t any girl feel a little jealous when she sees how much the guy she’s interested in shows without doubt that he’s got a girl deep in his mind, one he absolutely wants to protect - and that’s your new girl friend?

I don’t know it just seems logical to me. That’s why she talked more passionately, because she tried to cover up her own feelings.

MelodicEnigma

Pro Adventurer
It’s like the line describing Cloud’s memory of Tifa in chapter 1 where in red you can read “but in fact Tifa did not notice him” which indicates that Jenova modified his memory - especially with the green added effect. So why would the text in red describing Aerith in a situation we already knew about - that she’s speaking passionately? To me it indicates something that was obfuscated - ie her feelings when she sees Cloud looking at Tifa.

Well, I'd feel tempted to see if there are other instances where the red text is giving introspection for something that can be discerned from the scene, as opposed to just things that can't or unknown, factual information. Alas, I don't have the book, though. But either way, even if it was acting as a reaction to the specifics of Cloud looking at Tifa, the word choice is just....weird, in that case if it's describing her being jealous/uncomfortable as opposed to what she's feeling as she's about to continue her speech. -shrugs-

I don't know what else to say, really. But if I wanted to go the route that makes sense for the cutscene, even as information we don't "know" or can't discern (if that's what it's limited to), then I'd still settle on the above understanding. Which, technically, could be a reaction to Cloud looking at Tifa, but it'd still not speak on her being jealous, really.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Talking to @odekopeko again about it, the red text might be just a direction for the voice acting, so given the cutscene it makes sense that it’s only Aerith being fired up against Sephiroth. As someone whose job is to manipulate information I’m currently ranting about how these comments are written and put in the book because it’s too vague ?

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
Yeah, I wasn’t sure what the context of the scene was because I only saw a snippet of the dialogue. But I went to review the scene after and came away feeling she was only fired up over Sephiroth. However, I don’t understand why people are approaching Japanese op and demanding sources for someone’s headcanon or harmless interpretation. This just isn’t done in the Jp community, and I’m not sure if intl fans understand how uncomfortable they are making op feel.

villains23

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
v
From that tweet, Aerith's line:
エアリス
「大切な人 なくしても 泣いたり 叫んだりしない」

In the JP script, Aerith talks about losing someone they care about/love.

That part's not in the English script. I guess it was omitted?

You can see the Eng scene here at 27:36

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
From that tweet, Aerith's line:
エアリス
「大切な人 なくしても 泣いたり 叫んだりしない」

In the JP script, Aerith talks about losing someone they care about/love.

That part's not in the English script. I guess it was omitted?

You can see the Eng scene here at 27:36
Didn't Aerith say something like that in the dub too, like isn't that the point that Sephiroth doesn't feel that kind of pain because there is no one he loves or cares for?

villains23

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
v
Didn't Aerith say something like that in the dub too, like isn't that the point that Sephiroth doesn't feel that kind of pain because there is no one he loves or cares for?

In the Eng dub, Aerith talks about the loss of "moments and memories," and that Sephiroth wouldn't cry if they were gone.

The reason I bring this up is because there are moments in the game where it seems like the Eng localization team has changed the script, seemingly to... emphasize the "LTD." If the JP script has Aerith talking about the loss of a loved one or somebody that they cared about, and Cloud looks over at Tifa, it could be interpreted as a "shippy" moment (depending on your interpretation I guess). So if this part of the dialogue was indeed changed, I'm just kind of wondering what the point of it all was.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
On the subject of fan interpretations being shown to not line up with the creators’ intentions, I wonder what might be said in the future of the “Cloud is searching for Aerith in the Promised Land” idea

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
KindOfBlue said:
On the subject of fan interpretations being shown to not line up with the creators’ intentions, I wonder what might be said in the future of the “Cloud is searching for Aerith in the Promised Land” idea
I honestly think the ending scene (that we see in like 20 years from now) is going to flip back to be as per the original concepts - That Cloud says to Tifa they'll go and see what's on "The other side of the mountain"

They might add some added text as homage to the people who died, definitely Aerith, maybe Zack, Thea Lockhart, Cloud's dad, Avalanche etc.

loozzer said:
i feel like the novel is basically the beginning of the end of the LTD. if the translations are accurate, then tifa literally tells aerith that she loves cloud. i can't imagine aerith entertaining cloud's feelings for her after she learns about how tifa feels.

but i guess people can still argue about which girl cloud loves more lol. still, it really seems like they're moving towards making cloti/zerith the endgame couples

edit: ok it seems as if tifa was just lost in thought and didn't actually say that part to aerith out loud. but aerith has been very perceptive in the remake, i'd bet good money that she's already aware of tifa's feelings

Yeah. Even if Aerith doesn't explicitly know of Tifa's feelings I think the only way to end the LTD without character assassination is to have Aerith gracefully bow out of the LTD before her death, by leveraging on the knowledge of her "future-self"
  • Future-Aerith-from-The-Lifestream knows Cloud is not himself, and that her-present self is looking for the Zack in Cloud
  • Her present self is getting these warnings so she doesn't aggressively pursue Cloud like in the OG even if she wants to, so she's not "man-stealing"
  • Current Cloud is getting visions and having flashforwards (from the white materia?) - presenting him weird emotions i.e. remembering Aerith's death and hence starts crying in the middle of nowhere like when he was headed back to sector 7. It can be further explained as the "complicated feelings" he has for Aerith, instead of him being a two-timing mafaka chasing two women at once
  • Little Cloud has always crushed hard on Little Tifa (Glad that's out of the way) and if we're going by FF7R - almost all his adult motivations are then stemmed from wanting to be her hero and protect her
  • Everything plays out as before, but instead of blocks you get to see Cloud and Tifa's story unfold in 4K
  • The more aggressive Cloud / Aerith fans can say Tifa was second choice because it was only because Aerith gave up and pushed Cloud away from her and that Cloud got with Tifa out of pity etc. but we've already heard that for the last 24 years, so it's fine. :mon:

Last edited:

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I honestly think the ending scene (that we see in like 20 years from now) is going to flip back to be as per the original concepts - That Cloud says to Tifa they'll go and see what's on "The other side of the mountain"
I would hope, so seeing as it’s such a weird thing to say to somebody he just got done confirming his feelings with the night before…I’ve just noticed a common theme with these kinds of discussions, this idea of Cloud constantly being portrayed as wanting to reunite with Aerith in the Promised Land and I wonder how much of that will reflect of the creators’ intentions in the future of the remake

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Seeing the attacks of some cleriths against a cloti fanartist because he didn’t picture a canon scene (???) with his Tifa and Claudia cooking fanart, I think you’re all way too optimistic lol.

Humming

Pro Adventurer
Ah, I've seen that too. They were accusing the artist of 'making up' canon scenes, and a few comments later they admited that they didn't even read the book lmao

Eerie

Fire and Blood
The fact it’s canon or not has no importance, since when does a scene needs to be canon to be depicted in fanart? But it’s doubke WTF given that yes, it is canon.

Edit: I remembered that I wrote this not too long ago about Tifa:

I hope, that his SOLDIER persona drives her away from him - remember also that she found Sephiroth cold, and wasn't interested at all in Zack except to talk about Cloud in CC. This is a pattern. She is looking for someone far more normal than a SOLDIER.

So I feel vindicated :muhaha:

Last edited:
Top Bottom