SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
The ones I'm talking about in particular don't buy the games, so that's why I said that. And I know they don't buy it 'cause they admit to it / brag about it constantly but then they'll sit there and create a bunch of weird talking points that don't make sense... because they don't play.

This isn't a blanket statement on all CAs, but when discussing the extremists who have very specific and easily recognizable names and love to harass the dev teams and camp out in comment sections.... Well, the facts are the facts. This doesn't mean all CAs are like this and I don't think that was ever the argument.
I know you don't think that way. I'm not referring to you specifically. Sorry if it sounded like that. And I know what you're referring to because I basically have called it out myself as well and I got a lot of heat for it. But yeah crazy right how the ones with the loudest worst takes can ruin it for everyone else and still be seen as some authority on what a fandom thinks.

But this actually is a widespread idea that it applies to the majority. Many in the fandom do see it as an exception to the rule when they find a CA who does play because of course it's that tiny part who will always attack them. So the tiny minority does seem like the majority leading into the counterarguments I was talking about. Which don't help.

That was in general me referring to it. Same with the merch thing. Because sadly that tiny part has become the spokesperson for the entire fandom. And I do get annoyed at the fact many CA's follow that portion especially new fans because they have a huge following and that's the first they will see thus giving these portions huge platforms they don't deserve. Thus it looks like that's the consensus.

My hot take is all extremists should just be ignored altogether in these conversations bc they misrepresent a lot of the general consensus which is always more neutral in its takes. But as someone pointed out the extremists of any group are usually the most invested and they are the loudest and the ones we'll run into the most on any platform. That's just how fandom is.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
If they keep the last hand reaching from OG in the third game, I will be done with any FF7 games. maybe even down with any FF games.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I know you don't think that way. I'm not referring to you specifically. Sorry if it sounded like that. And I know what you're referring to because I basically have called it out myself as well and I got a lot of heat for it. But yeah crazy right how the ones with the loudest worst takes can ruin it for everyone else and still be seen as some authority on what a fandom thinks.

But this actually is a widespread idea that it applies to the majority. Many in the fandom do see it as an exception to the rule when they find a CA who does play because of course it's that tiny part who will always attack them. So the tiny minority does seem like the majority leading into the counterarguments I was talking about. Which don't help.

That was in general me referring to it. Same with the merch thing. Because sadly that tiny part has become the spokesperson for the entire fandom. And I do get annoyed at the fact many CA's follow that portion especially new fans because they have a huge following and that's the first they will see thus giving these portions huge platforms they don't deserve. Thus it looks like that's the consensus.

My hot take is all extremists should just be ignored altogether in these conversations bc they misrepresent a lot of the general consensus which is always more neutral in its takes. But as someone pointed out the extremists of any group are usually the most invested and they are the loudest and the ones we'll run into the most on any platform. That's just how fandom is.
Yeah, that totally makes sense. I just didn't want you to think I was generalizing all CAs so I wanted to clarify!

But I agree, all extremists should be ignored no matter what camp they're in and that goes beyond shipping, too because there are some really intense OG 'purists' that ... are... er... Well lol I can't think of a word to describe them but I know I don't like interacting with them. At the very least, those people don't really buy the games either and they just choose to ignore the compilation as a whole--which is their right. I'm cool w/ them so long as they stay within their own designated space and don't try to ruin the retrilogy experience for others who are enjoying it thus far.

Now, if only shippers could do the same.... But that's a pipe dream lol

If they keep the last hand reaching from OG in the third game, I will be done with any FF7 games. maybe even down with any FF games.

Really? Can I ask why you feel so strongly about it?

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Really? Can I ask why you feel so strongly about it?
It was a beautiful scene but I saw too many argument generated from that scene that Cloud wants to be with Aerith instead of Tifa.
The worst take I saw is Cloud is physically be with Tifa and mentally wants to and only wants to be with Aerith. This was called cheating where I grew up and for 2 decades i still hate that somebody depict Cloud in this way to validate their ship. And I’m really tired with the fact that SE is constantly feeding these kind of argument crumbs.

I honestly don’t care if Cloud like Aerith before her death. In OG I believed he does but he moves on after LS. (I was like 12 when I played OG…and I didn’t pay much attention to the love triangle to be honest..the only thing I care about is who got which materia and level the characters up.) In remake he clearly friendzoned her so he doesn’t. Both are okay for me…it is even before a confession and he was not committed to any girl anyway.
I don’t like the fact that after he and Tifa confessed to each other and they still put scene like this which makes part of the fanbase think he still loves Aerith. Maybe the whole purpose of the scene is to stir discussion, but who knows.

Last edited:

Rin

Pro Adventurer
It was a beautiful scene but I saw too many argument generated from that scene that Cloud wants to be with Aerith instead of Tifa.
Ah, makes sense. I can't see them taking it out because there's a callback to it in ACC as well, so if anything it'll just be a callback to callback in part 3. It's like when Aerith and Cloud stand back to back holding hands at the end of Rebirth, that's just a callback to ACC (what she says to him is even a direct quote from ACC if I remember right) and I think they like that stuff too much to get rid of it, but you never know lol.

Personally, I'd rather Aerith reach her hand out to anyone but Cloud at this point because I think the narrative has shown that her connection/relationship with him is weak in comparison to her connection/relationship with Tifa and Nanaki. So, I wish they'd just lean into those instead.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The worst case I saw is Cloud is physically be with Tifa and mentally want to and only want tobe with Aerith. This was called cheating where I grew up and for 2 decades i still hate that somebody depict Cloud in this way to validate their ship. And I’m really tired with the fact that SE is constantly feeding these argument crumbs.

I honestly don’t care if Cloud like Aerith before her death. In OG I believe he does. In remake he clearly friendzoned her so he doesn’t. Both are okay for me…it is even before a confession and he was not commuting to any girl anyway. I don’t like the fact that after he and Tifa confessed to each other and they still put scene like this making part of the fanbase think he still love Aerith. Maybe the whole purpose of the scene is to stir discussion, but who knows.
Thing is, that scene is misinterpreted anyway.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I think it will be there again lol but with those ghigh fidelity graphics and HOPEFULLY a revision of the CT dialogue at the end, there will be no more confusion. The OG really couldn't do much with dialogues, and they kinda represented that side again in AC - which I grieve a lot lol - but the REMAKE trilogy has shown us that those characters know how to talk, even Cloud. So I'm hopeful.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Personally, I'd rather Aerith reach her hand out to anyone but Cloud at this point because I think the narrative has shown that her connection/relationship with him is weak in comparison to her connection/relationship with Tifa and Nanaki. So, I wish they'd just lean into those instead.

Yeah, I can see that but in ACC doesn't she reach out to Cloud through the white light? I believe the Devs are trying to come full circle with that in this context.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
To be honest, I don’t take Aerith reaching out to Cloud as any sort of Clerith confirmation. Because it suddenly switches over to Tifa with her theme playing, as if to say, Tifa is the one.

The dialogue Cloud has after is not translated correctly in that it, I believe, is supposed to refer to loved ones in general, and Aerith is included in that. And Tifa is accepting of that because they’re about to die and be reunited with all of them (and then meteor is stopped so it doesn’t matter anymore).

frosty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Snowman
The continued use of platonic scenes of hands reaching out from the white light should be enough to dispel any of the "he wants to die to be with her" no?

Barret reaches out to Tifa in the white light
Aerith reaches out to Tifa in the white light
Heck even Angeal reaches out to Zack in the white light

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
The continued use of platonic scenes of hands reaching out from the white light should be enough to dispel any of the "he wants to die to be with her" no?

Doesn’t Tifa reach out to Cloud in Chapter 9 as well… in white light?

I still can’t get over “Cloud wanting to die to be with Aerith” as a positive argument. It’s not healthy behavior at all.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Thanks everyone for answering me, sorry for the questions lol just don’t like the idea of any of the FF7 cast being treated poorly (by fans and in game characters lol, F U Hojo and Scarlet)

And my heart swelled hearing Aerith is Tifa’s guardian, she’d go to the mat for Tifa, and Tifa would for her :'(
No no no. We've been over this. Ehrgeiz tells us Cloud is the guardian. Aerith must be the Fayth from which her final Aeon is formed.

To be honest, I don’t take Aerith reaching out to Cloud as any sort of Clerith confirmation. Because it suddenly switches over to Tifa with her theme playing, as if to say, Tifa is the one.

The dialogue Cloud has after is not translated correctly in that it, I believe, is supposed to refer to loved ones in general, and Aerith is included in that. And Tifa is accepting of that because they’re about to die and be reunited with all of them (and then meteor is stopped so it doesn’t matter anymore).
Yeah, it's very much Aerith leading Cloud BACK to Tifa. That's part of why the LTD is so ridiculous, even Aerith winds up rooting for C and T together in the end.

Also Bugenhagen was a fucking dick to Tifa. I was ready to throw down with the floaty boy.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
No no no. We've been over this. Ehrgeiz tells us Cloud is the guardian. Aerith must be the Fayth from which her final Aeon is formed.

Yeah, it's very much Aerith leading Cloud BACK to Tifa. That's part of why the LTD is so ridiculous, even Aerith winds up rooting for C and T together in the end.

Also Bugenhagen was a fucking dick to Tifa. I was ready to throw down with the floaty boy.
Bugenhagen was really dissapointing, I saw him as a sweet old man yoda type, but he was just.. well, not as timelessly wise as I'd hoped

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Reminds me of that guy who did his drive-by shit post the day after that trailer went up. Called us all "Blankbeat's victims who were coping" or something lol...Let me see if I can find it...
That post is just… lol

People really shouldn’t jump to conclusions based on trailers alone. They are meant to be baity in order to sell copies. This happens with all franchises, not just this one.

If I was a Clerith fan and I said all of that, and then got what many consider to be a pro-Cloti game, I’d be so embarrassed.

Sad thing is, that person probably still believes they were in the right there.

LunarTarotGirl

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lunarae
The dialogue Cloud has after is not translated correctly in that it, I believe, is supposed to refer to loved ones in general, and Aerith is included in that.
I'm sure it is translated correctly. I studied Japanese. Japanese doesn't include pronouns often because they're assumed from context. Most times they are dropped altogether in sentences but you would still add them to the translation. The context here is he saw Aerith's hand.
And if it is a mistranslation then why does the Ultimania say they are literally talking about Aerith? I was asked on my blog and researched it. That is what the Ultimania Omega says it was about that scene. And they "add of course the person they are talking about is Aerith" to it so I don't think it can get clearer than that. But it's just that it is part of a bigger conversation. Then they add on "As for the Promised Land..." Which means that them seeing Aerith would be in the afterlife with everyone they lost. It's a symbol for hope. Not some point for the LTD. This matches with the description of promising to meet loved ones in the DigiCube guide as well. They both say the same thing.

Also in general it's about the truth of the PromisedLand which he just realized and has been alluded to all game. LTD just twists it.

Edit: Went ahead and added it. Not sure they will change this scene to be honest. But it's literally like those scenes where you see a loved one of a character in the sky after they die in a show because they're remembering them. A nice reminder of the hope to see people they lost and it sucks people used it as a gotcha.

Attachments

• tumblr_e8be10612818eac31743f1e21bc21b42_35b303a6_640.jpg
    tumblr_e8be10612818eac31743f1e21bc21b42_35b303a6_640.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim

1710866783854.gif

:geek: I’m just going to leave another Lord of the Rings comparison here regarding the whole reaching out/hand grabbing, holding thing.

It can be romantic YES, but as this scene from Fellowship establishes, it can be completely platonic in context but STILL convey the depth of love the characters feel for one another, it’s one of the most often used visuals to establish the deep connections two characters can share.

Empyrea

Pro Adventurer
It can be romantic YES, but as this scene from Fellowship establishes, it can be completely platonic in context but STILL convey the depth of love the characters feel for one another, it’s one of the most often used visuals to establish the deep connections two characters can share
This.
Honestly, reaching out for someone's hand and grabbing holding it is something usually used as a sign of someone's willingness to connect with another and is a sign of camaraderie. It's not always romantic, but that doesn't make it any less important.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I'm sure it is translated correctly. I studied Japanese. Japanese doesn't include pronouns often because they're assumed from context. Most times they are dropped altogether in sentences but you would still add them to the translation. The context here is he saw Aerith's hand.
And if it is a mistranslation then why does the Ultimania say they are literally talking about Aerith? I was asked on my blog and researched it. That is what the Ultimania Omega says it was about that scene. And they "add of course the person they are talking about is Aerith" to it so I don't think it can get clearer than that. But it's just that it is part of a bigger conversation. Then they add on "As for the Promised Land..." Which means that them seeing Aerith would be in the afterlife with everyone they lost. It's a symbol for hope. Not some point for the LTD. This matches with the description of promising to meet loved ones in the DigiCube guide as well. They both say the same thing.

Also in general it's about the truth of the PromisedLand which he just realized and has been alluded to all game. LTD just twists it.

Edit: Went ahead and added it. Not sure they will change this scene to be honest.
I suppose that’s fair. But I genuinely think some Clerith fans take it as “Aerith is my one true love. I wanna see her again in death” and Tifa saying “Oh, well guess I’ll always be #2 but I’m happy for you.”

When it’s not meant to be romantic at all and is more of a realization that loved ones are never truly gone and even when we die, we will spiritually reunite.

Top Bottom