SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Yes that is true but i feel like it would be hard to really be happy for them in part 3s ending when you know that they will go trough hell again and that they didn't reeeeealy beat Sephiroth for good
I mean, things can end happily… then there could be a rough patch, and then things could be happy again after that.

Do you think that other endings aren’t this way? Take Disney films and other FFs for example. Do you think Belle and Beast never had a big argument after the film ended? Do you think Garnet didn’t ever get angry at Zidane ever again? Do you think Squall and Rinoa ever had tension again?

It’s actually realistic for couples to sometimes go through rough patches. And the one in AC is just a more extreme example… which eventually gets resolved happily.

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
To me ACC's take, as much as I think it's not really well written (due to Nomura wanting visuals first in AC, and the characterisations being wonky as the result), proves that no matter what, Cloud and Tifa can resolve their problems.

However I will say it, Rebirth alone has put the characterisations in the OtWaS and ACC a bit off, especially for Cloud and Tifa. Seeing them talking that much, it's hard to connect to Cloud completely disappearing without a word. In short I feel that if it was done after the Re-trilogy, I don't feel like Cloud would be running away, although that has been his characterisation since ACC (=running away from his light Tifa).

D

Deleted member 26496

I mean, things can end happily… then there could be a rough patch, and then things could be happy again after that.

Do you think that other endings aren’t this way? Take Disney films and other FFs for example. Do you think Belle and Beast never had a big argument after the film ended? Do you think Garnet didn’t ever get angry at Zidane ever again? Do you think Squall and Rinoa ever had tension again?
I didn't mean clotis relationship but the characters in general basicly going through hell again. Of course couples can go trough rough patches, thats what makes them interesting, but Cloud and Tifa and also the kids went through hell again and Sephiroth returning makes us defeating him less satisfying in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 26496

I feel lik if you took Rebirth Cloud and Tifa and put them in the shoes of ACs Cloud and Tifa, they would go about it much healthier and dare I say easier.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I didn't mean clotis relationship but the characters in general basicly going through hell again. Of course couples can go trough rough patches, thats what makes them interesting, but Cloud and Tifa and also the kids went through hell again and Sephiroth returning makes us defeating him less satisfying in my opinion.
I see your point, but it’s not like defeating him in OG is any less important. We literally stop him from breaking the planet. In ACC he’s trying to just come back to life again… but fails.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
To me ACC's take, as much as I think it's not really well written (due to Nomura wanting visuals first in AC, and the characterisations being wonky as the result), proves that no matter what, Cloud and Tifa can resolve their problems.

However I will say it, Rebirth alone has put the characterisations in the OtWaS and ACC a bit off, especially for Cloud and Tifa. Seeing them talking that much, it's hard to connect to Cloud completely disappearing without a word. In short I feel that if it was done after the Re-trilogy, I don't feel like Cloud would be running away, although that has been his characterisation since ACC (=running away from his light Tifa).
I think it could still happen, they just have to tweak some things here and there.

For example, the bedroom talk might be different but the end result would still be the same in Cloud realizing only he can go save the kids.

Stuff like that… maybe instead of “dilly dally shilly shally” she can make a joke about the time they were frogs (joke)

Ryeleigh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Rye
I know the ATLA LTDs are Katara vs Toph for Aang and Aang vs Zuko for Katara, but that's the Supernatural one?
Oh, the Supernatural one is hilarious. In Supernatural you have two big ships: Sam/Dean (the brothers) and for all that the show depicted them as the central "romance", so to speak, it was never going to be romantic or sexual, which most of its shippers understood and were fine with. And then Dean/Cass which was, frankly, made up wholesale by its shippers who then started demanding everyone that it be made canon, lol. The show has been over for a few years and the active Supernatural fandom is tired of still debunking bad Dean/Cass takes. But considering ATLA fandom is still doing that with Zutara (sorry, Zutara shippers in this thread) after almost twenty years, and FF7 is still doing it after almost thirty years, I'd say that SPN fandom just has to get used to it, lol.

As such, it can't be called an LTD in the traditional sense since neither ship was ever going to be canon (although you could say that Sam/Dean is platonically canon). But it's still the funniest example that I know of.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
You know, Dairanger has a romance that's sort of like what C/A apparently want in a relationship (Shishi ranger and Kujaku the Peacock Bhudda). What it definitely lacks is another woman for the man was interested in from childhood, and even HE moves on when he sees Kujaku in heaven.
Man the ending of Dairanger was a fucking trip.
I dont remember, you must be older than me. Black Ranger like White Ranger but she likes Red Ranger who wanna rescue his brainwashed lover from the enemy. But his lover dies and he marries White Ranger. Poor Black Ranger who is heartbroken and dies too.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
I think in the game Tifa’s character is almost exactly the same with how she is in ACC and CoT.
Cloud’s changed a lot though. Honestly I don’t think the Cloud we have right now in Rebirth will ever be that depressed like ACC Cloud.
But Cloud will go through another change in pt3 where his real self is restored. They could emphasized more on his insecurities to make it eventually lead to ACC cloud

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Advent Children is strange; i cant imagine the characters in Rebirth acting this way for example Cloud and Tifa communicate a lot better XD and depending on part 3 if Aerith and Zack get to talk to Cloud then i can't see it going the exact way as advent. Though maybe changing fate just means that we wont end up with Geostigma and the events of Advent but will still have the same fates and living conditions for all the characters? Rufus has a much larger role so i can see his fake death being changed completely. My dream is a playable epilogue in city of edge with the motorbike speaking to all the characters as Cloud and then placing the buster sword in the church then credits roll.

When you look at remake and the whispers visions when fighting them they were the burial scene and advent children stuff so maybe that future was destroyed XD

shady

Pro Adventurer

Part of me is starting to believe we'll get bits of ACC, and bits of it remade, in P3 in the sense of AC still happens... but we'll get a sort of alternate version of it where instead people are happier. Like you said the characterisations are way off already with Cloud and Tifa's progression as a "couple" in Rebirth is well and above what we get in OG at this point and looks even more developed and touchy feely than it was in ACC

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Advent Children is strange; i cant imagine the characters in Rebirth acting this way for example Cloud and Tifa communicate a lot better XD and depending on part 3 if Aerith and Zack get to talk to Cloud then i can't see it going the exact way as advent. Though maybe changing fate just means that we wont end up with Geostigma and the events of Advent but will still have the same fates and living conditions for all the characters? Rufus has a much larger role so i can see his fake death being changed completely. My dream is a playable epilogue in city of edge with the motorbike speaking to all the characters as Cloud and then placing the buster sword in the church then credits roll.

When you look at remake and the whispers visions when fighting them they were the burial scene and advent children stuff so maybe that future was destroyed XD
My dream ending is a shot of Could sitting down on a blanket in a field of flowers with Marlene, Denzel, and a very obviously pregnant Tifa

Jane Fane

Rookie Adventurer
Now this is a fascinating discussion. Did Rebirth develop Cloud and Tifa's communication skills and relationship too well and too early, perhaps to the point that their AC characterizations now seem like an unrealistic regression? I'll have to sit on that one.

In general though, I think it's good to remember that mental health isn't a linear journey, as much as we would like it to be, especially in a narrative story. Therefore it's not completely out of pocket that Cloud would relapse to the degree that he did. How "good" and "resolved" he is at any point doesn't mean he's fixed there forever. He's only 23 in AC, after all. I saw someone say on Twitter once that the devs think depressed Cloud is the only Cloud that will sell. :P Maybe they were right.

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

We also should take into account Cloud hasn't totally broken yet.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Now this is a fascinating discussion. Did Rebirth develop Cloud and Tifa's communication skills and relationship too well and too early, perhaps to the point that their AC characterizations now seem like an unrealistic regression? I'll have to sit on that one.

In general though, I think it's good to remember that mental health isn't a linear journey, as much as we would like it to be, especially in a narrative story. Therefore it's not completely out of pocket that Cloud would relapse to the degree that he did. How "good" and "resolved" he is at any point doesn't mean he's fixed there forever. He's only 23 in AC, after all. I saw someone say on Twitter once that the devs think depressed Cloud is the only Cloud that will sell. :P Maybe they were right.
Yep, I was thinking about relapse and al... but still: usually when Tifa reaches out, he makes the effort of answering her (minus when he's being controlled by an alien sat in his veins). I think it could be done, but most probably a bit differently. I guess we'll have to see what p3 gives us, in terms of CT interactions; AC/C was heavily based on their OG characterisations (and quite frankly lacked the gang...), the Re-trilogy is something else altogether.

Rin

Pro Adventurer

I'm okay with their communication going south tbh. I think what I find less believable is Cloud being able to stay away from her and avoid her calls for 2 weeks. This man would come running to her at the drop of a dime in retrilogy, so that's my only complaint. I mean, we do see a snippet of that when he finds her in the church but I just feel like his "Omg is Tifa okay?" anxiety wouldn't allow him to avoid picking up the phone when she calls.

insanehobbit

Pro Adventurer
I think a major issue with CoT/ACC-era Cloti is that we're only really seeing what's happening from Tifa's perspective. We pretty much only get Cloud's POV in a few brief scenes in ACC and through developer interviews. If we had a novella from Cloud's POV set during those two years, I think his behavior would be a lot easier to understand, and their relationship would come off a lot better.

Just imagine if we only saw the events of Rebirth through Tifa's POV. Cloud would seem like an asshole/their relationship would come off so much worse if we didn't immediately see the regret on Cloud's face after their fight in Kalm/how he's acting the morning after. Or in Junon, if the game cut away with Tifa sighing against the door. One might assume her feelings are unrequited if we didn't see Cloud yearning on the other side, and then going to his room to do situps right after (lmao).

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think a major issue with CoT/ACC-era Cloti is that we're only really seeing what's happening from Tifa's perspective. We pretty much only get Cloud's POV in a few brief scenes in ACC and through developer interviews. If we had a novella from Cloud's POV set during those two years, I think his behavior would be a lot easier to understand, and their relationship would come off a lot better.

Just imagine if we only saw the events of Rebirth through Tifa's POV. Cloud would seem like an asshole/their relationship would come off so much worse if we didn't immediately see the regret on Cloud's face after their fight in Kalm/how he's acting the morning after. Or in Junon, if the game cut away with Tifa sighing against the door. One might assume her feelings are unrequited if we didn't see Cloud yearning on the other side, and then going to his room to do situps right after (lmao).
Yeah, I think not seeing Cloud’s POV contributed to the misconception that Cloud was unhappy being with Tifa. When I think what they were going for is the opposite, which is the reason he left.

Jane Fane

Rookie Adventurer
... AC/C was heavily based on their OG characterisations (and quite frankly lacked the gang...), the Re-trilogy is something else altogether.

Yeah, it's tough because usually only villains relapse (or never learn in the first place). We're not used to seeing heroes fall back into bad patterns. Once the heroes have learned a lesson or been through a trial, we expect them to be permanently progressed, never again betraying their newfound wisdom. Watching AC for the first time, I do remember thinking, "Man, didn't you [Cloud] work through this already?"

(Oh, and clarifying my earlier post about depressed Cloud being the only Cloud that can sell -- I certainly don't believe that, I want to see healthy Cloud as much as possible. I was just remarking on the snark that the devs seem to believe that.)

Eerie

Fire and Blood
(Oh, and clarifying my earlier post about depressed Cloud being the only Cloud that can sell -- I certainly don't believe that, I want to see healthy Cloud as much as possible. I was just remarking on the snark that the devs seem to believe that.)
I think it was definitely true in AC days, Nomura went with this plot because he thought fans remembered Cloud like this. It's my hope that the 3rd game will correct this.

liuliuliu

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, it's tough because usually only villains relapse (or never learn in the first place). We're not used to seeing heroes fall back into bad patterns. Once the heroes have learned a lesson or been through a trial, we expect them to be permanently progressed, never again betraying their newfound wisdom. Watching AC for the first time, I do remember thinking, "Man, didn't you [Cloud] work through this already?"

It was their believe in early 2000

D

Deleted member 26496

I feel like they focused so much on clotis amazing story and angst that they neglected showing them actually be happy and in love. The Re trilogy definitely adresses this but before the Re trilogy there was only like a handfull of evidence to suggest that they are really happy together. Like Cloud buying her exotic fruit and trying to ease her insecurities.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
I have to be honest;
What worries me, scares me and makes my skin crawl is seeing Aerith's death romanticized...

I mean really? How deeply perverted can a human being be and find that whole scene romantic?

It's extremely disturbing just to think that it could be (and fortunately it isn't... at least I pray for it).

Another disturbing thought is the fact that Cloud would be so selfish to go off and die in a dead women's church so that they can be together in the afterlife.

Pretty much saying screw the family who is alive and worried sick about him, and that a dead girl is more important to Cloud is preposterous.

the necromancer love they claim is still the most disgusting ever they have been doing this for years but I guess we wouldnt know context until you literally see it and I'm not sure if Square has made it more literally by creating that 'ending scene' though.. :mon::mon::mon:

ACC is much better but for me still wanting more though.. but yeah context of this movie is Cloud's getting over his 'guilt'

Last edited:

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy

now you mention it, the real problem with advent era is we didn't get more novels from Clouds POV. We really should have more novels from
the main character like 2000 Gil however all Cloud Povs pretty much just say about him wanting to be a special person to Tifa or feeling like hes not strong enough

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Oh, the Supernatural one is hilarious. In Supernatural you have two big ships: Sam/Dean (the brothers) and for all that the show depicted them as the central "romance", so to speak, it was never going to be romantic or sexual, which most of its shippers understood and were fine with. And then Dean/Cass which was, frankly, made up wholesale by its shippers who then started demanding everyone that it be made canon, lol. The show has been over for a few years and the active Supernatural fandom is tired of still debunking bad Dean/Cass takes. But considering ATLA fandom is still doing that with Zutara (sorry, Zutara shippers in this thread) after almost twenty years, and FF7 is still doing it after almost thirty years, I'd say that SPN fandom just has to get used to it, lol.

As such, it can't be called an LTD in the traditional sense since neither ship was ever going to be canon (although you could say that Sam/Dean is platonically canon). But it's still the funniest example that I know of.
Ah yes, the "superhell" thing people were pissed about in the actually we really mean it this time for reals finale.

I dont remember, you must be older than me. Black Ranger like White Ranger but she likes Red Ranger who wanna rescue his brainwashed lover from the enemy. But his lover dies and he marries White Ranger. Poor Black Ranger who is heartbroken and dies too.
Yep, that's a basic summary of the romance plot in Jetman.

Dairanger- BTW, I find it fascinating that before Power Rangers, 1 and a half Sentai shows were called Ranger (Gorenger, the first one is the half, Turboranger is the proper one), and afterwards there was an almost decade straight of "ranger" teams and we've had a total of two since that don't end in 'ger' and it still ended in 'er.' The ways branding takes over, eh? It's not even Power ranger that started the trend, because Zyuranger was obviously there first, it's just fascinating.

Anyways, spoilers for the batshit ending of Dairanger just so everyone feels better about how nonsense FF plots can be.

Dairanger are taking the fight to the last few villains still alive, and they're fighting Shadam and his two leuitenants, one of whom, Gara the female lieutenant, was previously (5000 years ago, mind you) the best friend of Peacock Buddha Kujaku I mentioned earlier. So final showdown time, right?
Only Kujaku appears from heaven (she had previously died due to pollution. It's about as corny as it sounds) along with the real Gara and revealed the one the rangers had been fighting the entire time was a duplicate made of clay. And so was Shadam's other leuitenant. And so was the leader of the evil gorma tribe, and so was Shadam and all the other still fighting members of the gorma tribe.
That's batshit enough as is, but you also need to remember that two characters in the show- Kiba ranger (white tiger ranger) and his evil twin brother are Shadam's biological children and both were born to the same human woman (Played by the same woman as the commander in Jetman) TEN YEARS AGO. So did a clay doll impregnate this woman or did Shadam just fuck off sometime between ten years ago and the final battle and not tell anyone?
And then there's the 50 year time skip where all the ranger actors get to play themselves in old age makeup and also pretend to be their own eerily identical grandchildren as the battle against the gorma tribe starts up once again.

Top Bottom