SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Translation : Devs are making clear what their initial attempt was, and now a lot more people can see and feel it, with voice acting, characters motions and so on. The headcanon we chose to believe in is not a real thing.

Again, we'll never know the whole truth of it, because in 1997 they didn't know the game will become their war treasure for the next 20 years. Personally I think the canon was pretty clear but whatever

Edit : My 1997 canon being Cloud thinks he's another dude during 2/3 of the game. Meets a new girl. He's intrigued by her and starts to fall for her. She dies. He sad. He has to move on. Discovers the truth about himself. Loses it. Recovers with the power of love thanks to his childhood friend. Kill the bad guy. Bad guy succeed ? No Aerith saves the day with her new Jedi ghost powers. Cloud and Tifa may now live happily ever after ? Maybe. The end.
you forgot though afterwards the hero abandons his family one of which is dying from an illness because he actually realises he loves the other girl who had died, so since he cant move on he goes to a church wanting to die, But then the girl tells him now don't die we can be together afterwards, So he moves back in with the family never loving anyone else waiting to die.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
you forgot though afterwards the hero abandons his family one of which is dying from an illness because he actually realises he loves the other girl who had died, so since he cant move on he goes to a church wanting to die, But then the girl tells him now don't die we can be together afterwards, So he moves back in with the family never loving anyone else waiting to die.
But then you learn that everything the dead girl liked about the boy in the first place was pretty much a copy of her dead boyfriend who homeboy sorta thought he was and who she's hanging out with in death.
And that being with the living girl genuinely makes homeboy happy and that's why he left his family and he was looking for a cure, not to die...

In any case, not playing or deliberately misreading the narrative is the name of the 'CXA is canon' game.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

Well, I was talking about a time where we didn't have anything else. We had FF7 and that's it. A time where we didn't even know if our characters made it after the meteor.

And yes, the first AC version was a real punch in the stomach, because its depiction of characters was bad and helped create this whole shitty narrative. I've held a grudge against Nomura for a long time.

I mean, you kill someone and then reveal her love rival was always the reason for a guy to carry on, you're pretty soundly killing her chances even deader.

Let's just say I try to be open minded and accept some people feelings. Rebirth killed this notion for sure, but I can accept people thinking Cloud had feelings for Aerith. But even so. She's dead. So it never mattered to me. His life is with Tifa after FF7.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
let me guess, Silverwields tumblr?
I stumbled upon that place once and man she is stretching at straws sometimes for proof, like there was this whole Aerith garden window proof case for Cloti written down there somewhere that proved it or something, i don't even remember.

Doesn't help that she's probably one of the biggest Aerith haters out there and in fact shits on Cloud at times too, like when we got that NPTK song trailer and had the whole fake out kiss with Aerith and Cloud, she went on a whole ass rant about Cloud at the time.

Neither side is not without their unhinged people.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
My hangout place in the 2000s. Big toxic wasteland nowadays, But hey they still have great guides for games.
Same here, for a time. On a lark I checked the FF7 related forums there. Some of the same people posting the same shit they were 20 years ago.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
That's something else that is imporant to factor in to this debate.

Yes, Aerith got multiple "non-optional 'dates'" throughout the game, but she spends both the Kalm date and the water tower "date" (I have no idea why people call this a date, it was the most unromantic thing ever, it's honestly more Cloti than Clerith) lamenting the fact that she doesn't have a relationship like Cloud and Tifa have with each other.

That's also how I saw the scene in the ghost trainyard, Aerith trying to encourage more daring behaviour from Tifa, because if not, then......wow Aerith, not cool.
Yeah i saw both scenes as her pushing Tifa to be a bit more selfish for once with her feelings. Something she does end up doing when she stays with Cloud in Mideel later.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I stumbled upon that place once and man she is stretching at straws sometimes for proof, like there was this whole Aerith garden window proof case for Cloti written down there somewhere that proved it or something, i don't even remember.

Doesn't help that she's probably one of the biggest Aerith haters out there and in fact shits on Cloud at times too, like when we got that NPTK song trailer and had the whole fake out kiss with Aerith and Cloud, she went on a whole ass rant about Cloud at the time.

Neither side is not without their unhinged people.
She went on a rant after Cloud holding Aerith's hand leaked and called him an emotional cheater lmaooo
I was like "They're all single, babe. None of them can cheat on anyone."

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I feel like as every day goes by the arguments in the LTD just get crazier and crazier…

To be honest, it's always the same takes. They just run their arguments over and over again.

Tomorrow it will be somthing about :
  • Tifa being a bully
  • Tifa and Cloud not being close
  • They're not a couple in AC
  • Tifa is just a character to please western players
  • Tifa is not useful for the LS scene
  • Game setting up insane plot twist because Aerith and Cloud is the endgame
  • Next game is Mass Effect. Choose your ending
  • Aerith broke up with Zack so the only ending possible is Clerith

insanehobbit

Pro Adventurer
Apologies, some very late replies:
What would be your dream epilogue scene? I really just want more confirmation of Tifa and Cloud Post Dirge. The whole gang celebrating and chatting at the bar, and maybe Cloud speaking at the church beside Zack and Aeriths grave again
Honestly, I just want some finality for the series so I can finally be free, lol. I would be perfectly happy with what we had post-ACC/Reminiscence, just expanded. Cloud and Denzel bringing Zack's sword to the church, and then a nice family picnic/tea party. Something ordinary and low-key feels like a fitting, full-circle moment for them.

For part 3, how do you think they should handle the ZA reunion? Is one scene at the end enough? (kinda like AC)
I think they'll reunite at some point in the 3rd act, but then have a couple more scenes where they try to help stop Sephiroth from the Lifestream or whatever. I suppose they could also reunite earlier and take some time to resolve all the unanswered questions still lingering, but it would feel like delaying the inevitable.

I just hope we don't spend too much time on them as it'll diminish their deaths, plus we have so much fucking plot left to cover in part 3 (all of disk 2 & 3 plus the much expanded Wutai arc). Zack/Aerith having the amount of screentime in part 3 that Zack had in Rebirth feels about right.

Some questions --

1-What's your analysis or theory regarding the reunion pin that the vendor gives Aerith and why Cloud seems displeased by it?

2-Regarding Marlene telling Zack that Aerith has feelings for Cloud, did Marlene misunderstand what type of "like" or "feelings" meant? Cause in a previous scene, Marlene tells Zack: "Aerith really likes Cloud, so she is glad he came" What do you make of that?

3-Its interesting that he does not "die" when he sitting at the church in the 3rd choice. Is it cause he didn't make a choice?

4-Aerith's expressions turns kinda sad, despite the LA/HA dialogues slightly differing. Is it because Cloud rejected her (romantically) or because she knows she will die, therefore can't continue to make memories?
1 - I haven't thought about this too much, but I think the fact that Cloud never touches the pin is pretty damning. There's no promise of a grand reunion between Cloud/Aerith. The reunions being foreshadowed are Aerith/Zack and Cloud/Tifa -- the latter made even more obvious with the Leslie trying to reunite with his fiance sidequest being one of Tifa's last sidequests in Rebirth. I'm sure that subplot will be resolved after Cloud and Tifa's true reunion in the Lifestream.

2 - I think other people have answered this already, but Marlene is 4, lol. I don't think she understands those nuances yet, but having her convey Aerith's feelings to Zack is a nice callback to the OG, and the only way to add some angst/doubt before the inevitable Zerith reunion in part 3 since Aerith and Cloud aren't conscious in Zack's world (and also if they were, there would be 0 doubt, lol).

3 - We technically don't see him die in the other two timelines either (even though Biggs does), just face the same thing he sees before his actual death. But yeah, it could be because he's not there out of his own volition, per se. So why is he there? Could it be because of Aerith's hope/wishes? Idk, but there's definitely something else at play here not present in the other branches, because somehow he also ends up in the same "world" as Sephiroth.

4 - I honestly don't think she went into the church with any expectations that Cloud would reciprocate her romantic feelings, mostly because her feelings for him aren't neccessarily romantic in the first place. This Aerith knows she's going to die, and she knows their time together is about to come to an end so she's been delaying their inevitable goodbye, but she can't delay it anymore.

I don't think Cloud's HA/LA dialogue choice is meant to be read as a rejection because it's not like Aerith had confessed anything? They're both affirmative responses to Aerith's question of if he wants to spend more time with her. She's happy that he wants to but then gets sad again because she knows that they can't.

I think the fact that she seems a bit surprised by the fact that Cloud would even want to spend more time with her makes it pretty obvious that they're a long ways away from being in a romantic relationship? And she knows that.

It's only after this that she "confesses" that she doesn't know what kind of like she has for him. This is the last conversation they'll ever have so she is clearing the air for the two of the them, and also for the player. She is defining exactly the kind of relationship that they have. She likes him a lot, but not necessarily in a romantic way. She gives him the opportunity to respond, to "confess" if he actually feels that way. He does not. He deflects. That's enough of an answer for her. That should be enough for us.

Also, not use my own WacDonald's degree, but isn't the goodbye that Aerith says to Cloud in Japanese ('sayonara'), a very definitive/final farewell? She says this at the Church and also at the very end of the game. She knows it's over, but Rebirth is giving us the kind of closure we never got in the OG. The only real closure she lacks is re: her relationship with Zack, someone else who is also conveniently dead, so that's what's left for her story in part 3.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
To be honest, it's always the same takes. They just run their arguments over and over again.

Tomorrow it will be somthing about :
  • Tifa being a bully
  • Tifa and Cloud not being close
  • They're not a couple in AC
  • Tifa is just a character to please western players
  • Tifa is not useful for the LS scene
  • Game setting up insane plot twist because Aerith and Cloud is the endgame
  • Next game is Mass Effect. Choose your ending
  • Aerith broke up with Zack so the only ending possible is Clerith
Lmao, it is all these but the craziest one I saw is a whole breakdown of Tifa and Cloud’s GS date. The whole jealousy angle, I just don’t get it.

Maybe it’s because I don’t feel the need to do the same thing to Aerith’s, as in twist it into something crazy like that. I have my own interpretation and it’s fine if others have their’s. I don’t see my interpretation as the correct thing happening in the scene. I also don’t think it’s bad for Cloud and Aerith’s relationship in any way and it’s a great scene overall.

I’m more willing to listen to a take that doesn’t have such a negative angle to it. Like how does someone come up with Cloud kissing someone because of jealousy…and be extremely serious about it!

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Lmao, it is all these but the craziest one I saw is a whole breakdown of Tifa and Cloud’s GS date. The whole jealousy angle, I just don’t get it.

Maybe it’s because I don’t feel the need to do the same thing to Aerith’s, as in twist it into something crazy like that. I have my own interpretation and it’s fine if others have their’s. I don’t see my interpretation as the correct thing happening in the scene. I also don’t think it’s bad for Cloud and Aerith’s relationship in any way and it’s a great scene overall.

I’m more willing to listen to a take that doesn’t have such a negative angle to it. Like how does someone come up with Cloud kissing someone because of jealousy…and be extremely serious about it!
The jealousy angle feels very “you’re seeing what you want/expect to see vs what is actually here” which then psyched myself out because maybe I’m doing that? Then I rewatched jealous Cloud getting his street lessons from Tifa in Remake and I’m like “nah, jealous Cloud is pretty overt”.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
They always bring up how he says "I guess she must still have feelings for Zack" and conveniently ignore the fact that the conversation completely shifts to how close Cloud and Tifa are at the minute, and that he gets caught gawking at Tifa.

Rin

Pro Adventurer
They always bring up how he says "I guess she must still have feelings for Zack" and conveniently ignore the fact that the conversation completely shifts to how close Cloud and Tifa are at the minute, and that he gets caught gawking at Tifa.
and also how he doesn't sound jealous at all. I also don't even know why he says this though bc Aerith straight up told him that she does still have feelings lmao

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
The jealousy angle feels very “you’re seeing what you want/expect to see vs what is actually here” which then psyched myself out because maybe I’m doing that? Then I rewatched jealous Cloud getting his street lessons from Tifa in Remake and I’m like “nah, jealous Cloud is pretty overt”.
I would never consider if they might be right because that would immediately make Cloud the biggest asshole ever lmao.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
and also how he doesn't sound jealous at all. I also don't even know why he says this though bc Aerith straight up told him that she does still have feelings lmao
Wait, she did lmao! I didn’t even put that together.

Reactions: Rin

c.lupara

Pro Adventurer
It's been a while since my last post.

I wanted to focus on some things regarding the characters of Tifa and Aerith.

So, we know that in reality the first female character to be created was not Aerith but Tifa and that then due to the pleasure of the created character it was decided to split this character into the two heroines.
From here you could say that Tifa's character was downsized to avoid cutting her out of the story too early;
Aerith on the other hand, as much as one can deny it, was born to be a character that can be eliminated, a narrative device, even if it was then expanded with CC and the rise of Zack.

Now, with a cool head, having read the intentions of making ff7 a revisited KH7 with a happy ending for everyone, we can easily hypothesize a final scenario in which everyone is alive without going to clarify these fucking ships, or, a scenario on two dimensions where C/T and Z/A resolve their conflicts and doubts and live peacefully happily ever after.

Reviewing the ending of Rebirth I just want to say one thing:

the dream date is one of the worst things narratively speaking that they could have done as they wanted to further foment a ship war which, with a minimum of critical analysis of the story, would make no sense to exist; that sequence is also the beginning of the worst narrative choice, namely, the multiverse.

Practically now they have the power to make everyone happy and we know well that if everyone is happy, in reality no one is.

From this my hopes for part 3 are only one thing: a worthy closure to this story and please no mention of C/A since for me it is the most forced, unnatural and narratively decontextualized thing there could be.

I'm going back to hibernation.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
the dream date is one of the worst things narratively speaking that they could have done as they wanted to further foment a ship war which, with a minimum of critical analysis of the story, would make no sense to exist; that sequence is also the beginning of the worst narrative choice, namely, the multiverse.
I still maintain that I’ll hold my judgement on a lot of things until I have the full picture…

However, I did lightly touch on how this scene is very awkward in my game, because every thing I did was for Tifa, and I didn’t even do all of her side quests I’m pretty sure, I went back and did side quests after I beat the game.

So the game on its own has development for Cloud and Tifa that made me feel they had a slow burn going on, and then I enjoyed that through the game as I got invested.

Then at the end (as much as I liked the scene) it was strange that now they are having this date and Aerith is sharing her feelings for Cloud.

I understand it’s a different Aerith at certain points, but for me as a new player, am I supposed to rely on the OG timeline that they have romance building when I don’t even know the OG?

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Well, as we see on many occasion, the girls hold the collective braincells of the party, so doesn’t shock me that it takes Cloud a second to have that epiphany

c.lupara

Pro Adventurer
I still maintain that I’ll hold my judgement on a lot of things until I have the full picture…

However, I did lightly touch on how this scene is very awkward in my game, because every thing I did was for Tifa, and I didn’t even do all of her side quests I’m pretty sure, I went back and did side quests after I beat the game.

So the game on its own has development for Cloud and Tifa that made me feel they had a slow burn going on, and then I enjoyed that through the game as I got invested.

Then at the end (as much as I liked the scene) it was strange that now they are having this date and Aerith is sharing her feelings for Cloud.

I understand it’s a different Aerith at certain points, but for me as a new player, am I supposed to rely on the OG timeline that they have romance building when I don’t even know the OG?
When I played the OG, the only ship was C/T

Yoru

Pro Adventurer

OMG ! I didn't notice !!

This is so duuuuumb I hate it now.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
OMG ! I didn't notice !!

This is so duuuuumb I hate it now.
Might be because he doesn't know Tifa knew. So hes saying that like it must be hard to tell her
she must have feelings for him. Then Tifa's like its more complicated showing she knows the feelings but theres more too it
which suprises Cloud. Wondering what the more complicated could be?

Top Bottom