SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
So, what is the general consenus on Cloud and Tifa here? Are they star-crossed lovers, soulmates? Neither?

Sorry if this is a stupid question after all the time I've spent on this thread, yknow?
Checks more boxes under soulmates than star crossed lovers imo, though there is some overlap if you look at how they’re constantly meeting and then being pulled apart only to meet again.

Their complete lack of interest in any other potential partners also hints at soulmates ( at least in the Retrilogy. OG leaves some room to see fledgling attraction to Aerith before she dies ). I find it very interesting that Tifa matrix dodges the advances of others but not Cloud, and Cloud looks annoyed to pissed at the advances of anyone other than Tifa.

If you lay out the story of Cloud and Tifa, it all just lines up with how FF does romantic subplots before and after FF7.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
So, what is the general consenus on Cloud and Tifa here? Are they star-crossed lovers, soulmates? Neither?

Sorry if this is a stupid question after all the time I've spent on this thread, yknow?
honestly with the evidence from Remake trilogy so far, seems like they sorta going soulmate angle
i got a theory on something but heres some evidence from it.
crescent moon charm.JPGcrescene moon charm decription.JPG

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
That's the thing with the mini-LS scene in Rebirth. We are shown three memories, two of which have the camera behind Cloud, kind of implying that this is from his pov, and therefore his memory. The promise scene is neutral, it's not shown from either of their pov's.

So is the LS showing Tifa some of Cloud's memories? When he's not even in the LS? Feels intentional.

honestly with the evidence from Remake trilogy so far, seems like they sorta going soulmate angle
i got a theory on something but heres some evidence from it.
I'm pretty sure the one that Tifa wears and the one Marle gives to Cloud are facing opposite directions, and if you put them together they're like hands forming a whole.

Their complete lack of interest in any other potential partners also hints at soulmates ( at least in the Retrilogy. OG leaves some room to see fledgling attraction to Aerith before she dies ). I find it very interesting that Tifa matrix dodges the advances of others but not Cloud, and Cloud looks annoyed to pissed at the advances of anyone other than Tifa.
Well, if we're talking about Real Cloud in the OG, then not really. There isn't anything post-LS that suggests Cloud didn't have his heart set on Tifa.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
That's the thing with the mini-LS scene in Rebirth. We are shown three memories, two of which have the camera behind Cloud, kind of implying that this is from his pov, and therefore his memory. The promise scene is neutral, it's not shown from either of their pov's.

So is the LS showing Tifa some of Cloud's memories? When he's not even in the LS? Feels intentional.

I'm pretty sure the one that Tifa wears and the one Marle gives to Cloud are facing opposite directions, and if you put them together they're like hands forming a whole.

Well, if we're talking about Real Cloud in the OG, then not really. There isn't anything post-LS that suggests Cloud didn't have his heart set on Tifa.
I’m not pulling the trigger on it yet, but there are definitely signs that there’s more to the LS scene’s significance than OG may have included. The camera angles, how fiercely the planet is defending those memories from corruption, the various elusions to Cloud and Tifa wanting to be by each other’s side forever, it all smells very intentional for reasons beyond foreshadowing.

Something about that fall when they were kids just strikes me as odd, and odd on purpose.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
So is the LS showing Tifa some of Cloud's memories?
Those should be Tifa's memories because the Weapons are following bits of Tifa's memories to get there. And the memories that the Black Whispers attack at the end are apparently a tiny bit different than what Tifa saw, so I'm thinking those are Cloud's memories.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
I’m not pulling the trigger on it yet, but there are definitely signs that there’s more to the LS scene’s significance than OG may have included. The camera angles, how fiercely the planet is defending those memories from corruption, the various elusions to Cloud and Tifa wanting to be by each other’s side forever, it all smells very intentional for reasons beyond foreshadowing.
Well, I did quite like the idea that Cloud and Tifa fought to be with each other on their own merits and effort, and that this effort was indeed their own and not some magical force pushing them together, but there is definitely more than meets the eye to that mini-LS sequence, you're right.

Something about that fall when they were kids just strikes me as odd, and odd on purpose.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you mean by this? That a connection between them was established at that moment?

Those should be Tifa's memories because the Weapons are following bits of Tifa's memories to get there. And the memories that the Black Whispers attack at the end are apparently a tiny bit different than what Tifa saw, so I'm thinking those are Cloud's memories.
It feels a bit weird to show Tifa's memories from Cloud's pov, so there has to be something special about the ones we saw with Cloud in them.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Well, I did quite like the idea that Cloud and Tifa fought to be with each other on their own merits and effort, and that this effort was indeed their own and not some magical force pushing them together, but there is definitely more than meets the eye to that mini-LS sequence, you're right.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you mean by this? That a connection between them was established at that moment?

It feels a bit weird to show Tifa's memories from Cloud's pov, so there has to be something special about the ones we saw with Cloud in them.
Planet is showing her precious memories of Cloud but the lifestream between them is connected its all to keep her faith in Cloud
by showing her what Cloud did for her and why he would never hurt her

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel

Somehow maybe the fall resulted in… something?

The details about their vastly different level of injury, Tifa being in a coma for seven days ( I think? ), this moment being the trigger for the road Cloud will walk through the rest of his life, the story of Cloud’s dad vanishing in the mountains leaving just his clothes behind… the heavy Norse mythology of the Nibelheim region, Odin being the summon of the region, Tifa’s Valkyrie coding, her being the one to “revive” Cloud with the LS sequence… I dunno.

Could all be nothing major tbf. I might be making a bigger thing than it really is. It just smells of “something’s cooking under your nose”.

For the record, I also like it better that these two are just particularly pretty country bumpkins stumbling their way back to each other despite the world-ending circumstances around them.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
Could all be nothing major tbf. I might be making a bigger thing than it really is. It just smells of “something’s cooking under your nose”.
I think it's the fact that Mt.Nibel supposedly has connections to the living and the dead. How the dead 'cross' it. And the Lifestream being both a force that gives life while also being an afterlife, so it also has connections to life and death, is what sets of your radar for something fishy going on there.

the heavy Norse mythology of the Nibelheim region, Odin being the summon of the region, Tifa’s Valkyrie coding
I'm not really well-versed on this sort of thing, so could you elaborate on it a bit? only if you don't mind, of course.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
I think it's the fact that Mt.Nibel supposedly has connections to the living and the dead. How the dead 'cross' it. And the Lifestream being both a force that gives life while also being an afterlife, so it also has connections to life and death, is what sets of your radar for something fishy going on there.

I'm not really well-versed on this sort of thing, so could you elaborate on it a bit? only if you don't mind, of course.
FF7 ( even more so in Remake ) features a lot of Norse Mythology in a lot of its names ( Midgar being similar to the realm Midgard, Nibelheim being another realm in mythology, the imagery of the lifestream kinda feels close to Ygdrassil the World Tree that connects all the realms, the rainbow bridge etc )

Not unusual for JRPGs to use Norse and Greek mythology as a way to name things that not only sound cool but hint at their relevance to the plot. It all just feels deliberate in Remake more than it did in the original.

Tifa’s Valkyrie coding is present not only in her starter gloves ( they have Valkyrie wings engraved on them ) but also in her themes of feathers ( like the wings of a Valkyrie ). In mythology, Valkyries were warrior maidens who chose worthy warriors to serve Odin during Ragnarok, an apocalyptic battle that would end the world and remake it to begin a new cycle. That’s a vastly simplified version of it, but I do encourage a deep dive if you’re interested. Norse mythology is pretty neat.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think a big contributing factor to their relationship (by no means the only one, mind you) is the fact that they represent the last piece of Nibelheim that’s left.

Sure, Emilio and some of the other boys that left might still be alive but they seem like they’re essentially more or less disconnected from both Cloud and Tifa.

Last edited:

null

Mr. Thou
AKA
null

I think they’re together in the end, just with the usual ups and downs that couples go through. Soulmates, probably, in the sense of two people completing each other. They don’t need to finish each other’s sentences for that.

Star-crossed usually means they’re screwed thanks to life or death getting in the way. In my opinion Aerith and Zack fit that description better. (At least in OG.)

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I think they’re together in the end, just with the usual ups and downs that couples go through. Soulmates, probably, in the sense of two people completing each other. They don’t need to finish each other’s sentences for that.

Star-crossed usually means they’re screwed thanks to life or death getting in the way. In my opinion Aerith and Zack fit that description better. (At least in OG.)
Agreed. And personally, I actually like that. Simply because it’s pretty realistic in relationships. Sometimes there’s tension but a lot of couples can still go through that and come out strong on the other side.

I dislike this notion that the fact that there is tension means they aren’t meant to be or something. Seems like a childish view of relationships.

Edit for Clarification: I don’t like that they have tension, as I want them to be happy. But I like that it’s a more realistic portrayal of a relationship.

Last edited:

nepheneethedestroyer

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I've been gone for a bit. I made a Twitter account for FF7 fandom stuff and immediately regretted it 😅

I re-read Traces of Two Pasts...I really loved the part where Tifa is thinking about the water tower. It's all so sweet :)

As others have said I think it's more like...traumatized people who are in some ways tied together by this shared traumatic past, and they find solace and comfort in each other to be able to confront it.

--
Also separately, a streamer I watch finally got to the GS date (she got Red XIII first and redid it, lol). She reacted the same way I did haha...

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I've been gone for a bit. I made a Twitter account for FF7 fandom stuff and immediately regretted it 😅

I re-read Traces of Two Pasts...I really loved the part where Tifa is thinking about the water tower. It's all so sweet :)

As others have said I think it's more like...traumatized people who are in some ways tied together by this shared traumatic past, and they find solace and comfort in each other to be able to confront it.

--
Also separately, a streamer I watch finally got to the GS date (she got Red XIII first and redid it, lol). She reacted the same way I did haha...
I’ve actively started muting even regular FF7 related stuff just to avoid how bad it is lol.

About the shared trauma thing, Cloud being at Nibelheim and the reveal to Tifa that he was the infantryman there is great and I’m excited to see how that’s adapted. It’s why the LS sequence is uniquely a Cloud-Tifa thing as that moment woul mean the most to her, knowing he was there trying to protect her the day her world burned down.

Last edited:

Fakewings_

Rookie Adventurer
The first time I saw the leaked image of Tifa and Cloud holding hands in Loveless play, I was deeply impressed, and Tifa truly is a goddess. The hair, the fit of dress, tiara…(Even though there were already pictures of Aerith in this dress before). She shines so brightlyyyy.
And remember the excitement I felt when saw the leaked clip of the kissing scene on Gamefaqs, I replayed it countless times :))

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names

If the Planet/Fate itself decided to keep Cloud and Tifa apart, it would fail. They'd punch, kick, slash and stab through anything trying to keep them separate. If that says soulmates to you, then go for soulmates. But whatever you call 'em, know that no one and nothing is ever gonna keep them apart while they both still live.

I've seen stupid questions in the LTD, this ain't one of 'em.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
The first time I saw the leaked image of Tifa and Cloud holding hands in Loveless play, I was deeply impressed, and Tifa truly is a goddess. The hair, the fit of dress, tiara…(Even though there were already pictures of Aerith in this dress before). She shines so brightlyyyy.
And remember the excitement I felt when saw the leaked clip of the kissing scene on Gamefaqs, I replayed it countless times :))
I wish I didn't know about the kiss beforehand, but it's near impossible to avoid spoilers when you're this connected to the fandom. Gonna totally disconnect in the lead up to part 3 I think

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
I wish I didn't know about the kiss beforehand, but it's near impossible to avoid spoilers when you're this connected to the fandom. Gonna totally disconnect in the lead up to part 3 I think
Yeah, I’m gonna do my best to stay blind for Part 3 as well. After I saw the kiss leak, I was like “ok that’s it” but the wait was so excruciating that I just couldn’t.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Who says Cloud & Tifa is star-crossed lovers?
Helloooooo~?!!
Not one bit.
Yeah, they don’t fit that description, but isn’t there some cultural thing about the star formation used the background of the water tower scene that basically nails how their romance works ( being separated but finding each other again )?

It’s not Star-crossed but I think it’s more based on that… which is closest to the western understanding of soulmates

Top Bottom