SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
It's pretty cool that Briana's going through the game on twitch. The Language of Flowers scene might be the best small emotions moment in the game.

I'm sure the other actors are very proud of their work, but you can tell how life changing the role is for her. Though she's pretty vague about the plot stuff for obvious spoiler reasons, I'd still like to hear her thoughts.

The Aerith resolution scene is probably the strongest of the three, but it also has multiple interpretations whereas Barret and Tifa are more straightforward.

She's so freakin cuteeeeeeee!! Very much like Aerith!

oooff topic but I'm replaying the game with English dub right now and she's doing such a great job! I remember seeing people complain about her voice acting somehow??? but I honestly think she's rocking it. Not just her but pretty much everyone is so good( Tifa's and Barret being the best one so far to me).

idk if it's being easier for me to get to like them bc I don't have any attachment to their past voice actors ( nothing personal btw english is just not my first language so I'm used to their jap voices) but yeah, they're amazing!! *_*

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
I know that I heard Cloud say a couple of things to Tifa, when she is downed during battle. Something along the lines, "sorry I couldn't keep our promise" and also, "Tifa, I am sorry."

I looked for video to back it up but I couldn't find it for the life of me. I know it was said.

Someone posted a list of things Cloud says when Tifa falls unconscious:

Contains some of his lines to Barret and Aerith too.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Can I just say that I can totally see where they're getting this idea from? They're simply looking at the scene from a shipper's perspective. It's not a total lie. Just a narrow view, and lacking peripheral. But if they choose to interpret the scene that way, it's not like we can convince them to see the bigger picture. That's not how shipping works with most people.

I highly disagree, because it becomes quickly extremely toxic and pervasive if you let such behaviour spread. This is how you get shipping non-sense at every corner, and many people who absolutely refuse the canon of the story, because they believe that their interpretation is above that of the creators'.

Because when you don't correct these people, they will lash out these fake stories as facts (because let's be honest, it's usually not the mellow shippers we have here who act like that), and even attack otherr shippers. It's why this corner of the internet is so safe, it's because we try to correct those assumptions, whatever side they come from.

This is not Cloud's resolution. This is Aerith's. It's retracting from Aerith to give her resolution to Cloud. And you know why they want it reversed? Because they want Cloud > Aerith more than anything to, and having it put there gives them more credence (which is stupid imho because Cloud & Aerith SHARE a relationship, it's not one-sided). But because if they say it's Cloud's resolution, they can say it's better than what CloTi got, because one of the big resolution is Cloud to Aerith, and not Aerith to Cloud (and they put Tifa AND Barret on the same level).

So I am not OK with this, it's pure bullshit and spite. I know how this works, I've read a lot of comments over at YT, Reddit, some French board... trust me, the idea that in the OG Cloud didn't love Tifa is EVERYWHERE because of this kind of pervasive idea that he only longed for Aerith, an idea that was ingrained a long time ago and that people never took the time to correct.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i feel like 'i'll take on the enemy!' would be better as 'i'll get payback/revenge' (敵 here not being てき but かたき)

Someone posted a list of things Cloud says when Tifa falls unconscious:

Contains some of his lines to Barret and Aerith too.
this seem to have been taken from this site

http://spwiki.net/ff7remake/wikis/196.html

it has three game over lines for aerith but i'm not sure which is meant to correspond to the english one posted above (but it's possible that's just not been added)

あれ、真っ暗・・・ (what, everything's dark..)
きっとまた会える・・・よね (i know we'll meet again... right?)
まだ帰りたく・・・ない (not yet... i don't want to go back) [=to the planet]

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer

This basically says, that she doesn't want to go home yet.

Mada kaeri taku nai

Mada, (Not yet or it could also be used as wait, depending on the context) Kaeri - taku (to return - home) Nai (is negative, or don't want to do it.)

I guess it could be interpreted as returning to the planet. If the planet is her home?

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
it has three game over lines for aerith but i'm not sure which is meant to correspond to the english one posted above (but it's possible that's just not been added)

あれ、真っ暗・・・ (what, everything's dark..)
きっとまた会える・・・よね (i know we'll meet again... right?)

These are Aerith's lines when she dies in battle, right? If so, I think the english post was only about Cloud's quotes when Aerith dies in battle.

The second one corresponds with this one here in english (second tweet):

odekopeko

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Peko
@Eerie Look, I get what you're saying. I'm not saying you can't correct people. You have every right to. I've already met some who straight up lie about stuff, and I've corrected them myself. I put up screenshots of those pages from the Ultimania exactly because I saw people trying to diminish Tifa's Resolution to a sympathy hug that meant nothing except to build Cloud's character, whatever that means, that Aerith's is the canon one, and then calling Aerith's Resolution Cloud's when it wasn't intended to be.

But I feel it also turned out like this because the characters are way too popular so the devs continue to skirt around the issue and intentionally ship bait. At the end of the day I want to have fun debating. :/

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I guess it could be interpreted as returning to the planet. If the planet is her home?
星に帰る is used as a euphemism for dying, and given the context of a game over dialogue i assumed that's what they were going for

These are Aerith's lines when she dies in battle, right? If so, I think the english post was only about Cloud's quotes when Aerith dies in battle.
i meant i didn't see the one from the video in the tweet, about a voice calling to her, not cloud's quotes

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
Britt Baron(Tifa's VA) mentioned her favorite scenes between Cloud & Tifa and some other scenes in a AMA:

Britt:Oh thank you that means a lot! So much care was given to that relationship and I loved the slow development over the course of the game. I love the scene where Cloud comforts and hugs Tifa because she really lets her guard down in front of him and gives herself the chance to be vulnerable in front of him. I also love the first bar scene where they meet again after so much time and he gives her the flower, there is so much left unsaid and Tifa is clearly nervous and putting on a front which I think everyone can relate to. The dynamics and differences between those two scenes were fun to play!

Britt: Thank you!! I loved that scene so much as well! Gosh it's hard to choose a favorite. I think I enjoyed the first bar scene with Cloud because that was one of the first things we recorded and where I really had fun playing around and establishing who Tifa is and where she sits in my vocal register. It's also such a sweet reunion with a lot of tension and there's so much unsaid which was fun to play. Tifa is clearly nervous and trying to keep everything light, and that is something I do in my own life.

Britt: I really love the scene where Cloud comforts Tifa, she's so vulnerable and frustrated and I could really relate to feeling like that in times of my life. I also love the moment on the train when she is pushing the passengers out to protect them, and the man says "But I work for Shinra" and Tifa responds "I don't care I don't want anyone else to die" and then turns around in a fighting stance with "My turn!" That moment for me completely captures who Tifa is, a kind hearted bad ass warrior. In today's world it's a reminder that no matter what political side you are on we can come together as humans who are more a like than we are different.

Britt: I hadn't played the original game and just looking at the characters I kind of first expected Tifa to be really forward, sexual, aggressive even, very confident. But in my audition and after doing research realized she is the opposite! Very kind and sweet, and almost shy despite the fact that she is an amazing fighter. I think I can be shy in certain instances like Tifa but I don't have a six pack and don't think I can so a single pull up so...there's that ha

Britt: Yes! Definitely much higher than characters I've done in other games, and pitched higher than punk rocker Justine. I wanted to honor what had already been established for Tifa. She is feminine, kind and soft spoken at times, I also think it makes her fighting skills even cooler because it's more unexpected coming out of this sweet character.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
Britt Baron(Tifa's VA) mentioned her favorite scenes between Cloud & Tifa and some other scenes in a AMA:

Britt:Oh thank you that means a lot! So much care was given to that relationship and I loved the slow development over the course of the game. I love the scene where Cloud comforts and hugs Tifa because she really lets her guard down in front of him and gives herself the chance to be vulnerable in front of him. I also love the first bar scene where they meet again after so much time and he gives her the flower, there is so much left unsaid and Tifa is clearly nervous and putting on a front which I think everyone can relate to. The dynamics and differences between those two scenes were fun to play!

Britt: Thank you!! I loved that scene so much as well! Gosh it's hard to choose a favorite. I think I enjoyed the first bar scene with Cloud because that was one of the first things we recorded and where I really had fun playing around and establishing who Tifa is and where she sits in my vocal register. It's also such a sweet reunion with a lot of tension and there's so much unsaid which was fun to play. Tifa is clearly nervous and trying to keep everything light, and that is something I do in my own life.

Britt: I really love the scene where Cloud comforts Tifa, she's so vulnerable and frustrated and I could really relate to feeling like that in times of my life. I also love the moment on the train when she is pushing the passengers out to protect them, and the man says "But I work for Shinra" and Tifa responds "I don't care I don't want anyone else to die" and then turns around in a fighting stance with "My turn!" That moment for me completely captures who Tifa is, a kind hearted bad ass warrior. In today's world it's a reminder that no matter what political side you are on we can come together as humans who are more a like than we are different.

Britt: I hadn't played the original game and just looking at the characters I kind of first expected Tifa to be really forward, sexual, aggressive even, very confident. But in my audition and after doing research realized she is the opposite! Very kind and sweet, and almost shy despite the fact that she is an amazing fighter. I think I can be shy in certain instances like Tifa but I don't have a six pack and don't think I can so a single pull up so...there's that ha

Britt: Yes! Definitely much higher than characters I've done in other games, and pitched higher than punk rocker Justine. I wanted to honor what had already been established for Tifa. She is feminine, kind and soft spoken at times, I also think it makes her fighting skills even cooler because it's more unexpected coming out of this sweet character.

Would be really neat to see and read the AMA for the Japanese Voice actress for Tifa. Ayumi Ito!

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
EYpZ3j5VAAAUnJA

Purple

Charmed
Thanks for clarifying the Ultimania bit @odekopeko

I love Britt Baron! I love her Tifa and her enthusiasm for her role.

I read in that one interview with Cody that the creative team from Japan was also with him during his recording sessions and they gave him directions through a translator and that helped everything run smoothly. This is the first time I heard of the Japan team having a hand at localization recording sessions.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
@odekopeko I understand what you mean, at the end of the day, that won't change the most extremes' views (I think we all went there at least once), however I don't think it's right either to say "it's ok" because we must aknowledge that this is not a shipper bias, but an extreme shipper bias that wants to downplay the other ship. It's good to remind people that such shippers do exist, in both sides, and while we can peacefully chat here, we must keep guarded elsewhere, especially in Twitter, YT, which have the worse comments IMHO. Maybe Tumblr but I don't check there so.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I've mentioned this before in a more coy manner, but I'm gonna mention it again, more explicitly.

S-E opening the door to all this AU/timeline fuckery is breeding ground for more dumb shipper shit. The only thing is that this time it's done by design.

I can't even say, in good conscience, that "Cloud searching for Aerith in the flower fields at the end of Advent Children" is a completely baseless interpretation of the long-form storytelling anymore. Because its kind of... not. At least, at the point of the narrative we are now at. I hate it, and it's stupid, but I can't say that SE is completely ruling out that type of engagement in the story. I don't think thats their intention by any means, but imo they're egging it on more than they're ruling it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom