• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
This entire thing was a cringe fest, these people take themselves WAAAAY too serious. Especially the talk about "bringing the community together" they act like they are doing peace negotiation for the middle east :mon:

As a veteran who has personally seen a lot of conflict in the Middle East up close. This one probably stung the most. I absolutely did not suggest I would be solving the issue internet wide. Nor did I suggest this topic had an inflated sense of seriousness. I handled it as delicately as I knew how because the responses to ANY type of discourse on the topic gets vitriol, I chose the path that I felt served the conversation in the kindest way. Maybe I was wrong to do so… I suppose we’ll see.
Regardless, I’m truly sorry if I created something that you genuinely didn’t enjoy listening to.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Covering the FFVII LTD for 3 hours is akin to willingly flying head first into a black hole for the sake of others. You have way more patience than me for it, that's for sure. :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Covering the FFVII LTD for 3 hours is akin to willingly flying head first into a black hole for the sake of others.

*cue Hans Zimmer*

GlamorousColdArgusfish-size_restricted.gif

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
What a convoluted way to justify their attempt to get more viewers using the most dividing and infuriating topic of the whole FF7 fandom...
I’m not really a ‘do it for the views’ kind of guy. I won’t lie and say I don’t care about them. But, I’ve dreaded the topic for a year despite it being the most requested one. I decided that the only way I would breach it is if I could do so in a way that fit my core ideals. I wanted people to enjoy it, but not to lose my idea of giving small creators a place to grow. I had Jairus on because I wanted people to see the human behind him, but also wanted to highlight how he’s negatively treated others. Sure the BltZZ thing was showy, but the intention was light-hearted.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
@Schrodingersbabyseal As far as I’m concerned, you had good intentions and when you’re so deeply ingrained in this fanbase, the LTD is pretty hard to avoid unfortunately so I definitely wouldn’t fault anybody for trying to bring some order to this ungodly mess lol.

I’m not so sure if a lack of understanding of each ship’s perspective is why the shipping is so toxic, but rather a refusal by some to acknowledge the story for what it IS in favor of what they WANT it to be. I’ve always said SE could’ve pulled the plug on this long ago but it seems they never felt it necessary.

Either way, as long as people continue to equate what they like with what is, we’re stuck here until SE comes right out and smacks the fanbase with some hard undeniable truth. Surely you’ve seen Twitter’s response to Trace of Two Pasts? People just aren’t satisfied with enjoying their preferences, they need the source material to validate those preferences.

And from that desperation, you get some of the most obsessive behaviors imaginable online, which spreads when people who’ve acquired some level of influence in the fanbase galvanize others into being just as rabid as they are. I’ll admit, it’d be nice to see some of the worst people be brought down a peg in a more debate-like fashion but I understand that wasn’t the goal here. Either way, props to you for your efforts. :monster:

a_apple 2.0

Pro Adventurer
AKA
a_apple
As a veteran who has personally seen a lot of conflict in the Middle East up close
Odd thing to add but okay :mon:
I absolutely did not suggest I would be solving the issue internet wide. Nor did I suggest this topic had an inflated sense of seriousness. I handled it as delicately as I knew how because the responses to ANY type of discourse on the topic gets vitriol, I chose the path that I felt served the conversation in the kindest way. Maybe I was wrong to do so… I suppose we’ll see.
Regardless, I’m truly sorry if I created something that you genuinely didn’t enjoy listening to.
You don't have to apologize that's kinda what I was talking about before this entire thing isn't that serious :flipmonster:, I'm sure there was a reason for why the debate was the way it was, it's just when I watched it I felt a bit weirded out because lets be honest it's strange to see a 3 hour shipping discussion that's treated like a political debate :mon:

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
Odd thing to add but okay :mon:

You don't have to apologize that's kinda what I was talking about before this entire thing isn't that serious :flipmonster:, I'm sure there was a reason for why the debate was the way it was, it's just when I watched it I felt a bit weirded out because lets be honest it's strange to see a 3 hour shipping discussion that's treated like a political debate :mon:
Did it really sound like a debate? I clarified pretty clearly on that it wasn’t… I’m not sure if anyone even disagreed with each other?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I had Jairus on because I wanted people to see the human behind him,

Admirable.

However, I think for quite a few here, when he inevitably goes back to shitpost harassing the FFVII-R Twitter over Jessie or harassing fan artists over Jessie, we're now going to hear his voice in our heads reading the tweets.

I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse. :monster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Admirable.

However, I think for quite a few here, when he inevitably goes back to shitpost harassing the FFVII-R Twitter over Jessie or harassing fan artists over Jessie, we're now going to hear his voice in our heads reading the tweets.

I don't know if this is a blessing or a curse. :monster:

Talk for yourself. I don't plan on listening to this :awesome: I think we already did indulge Jairus way too much here. And what he needs isn't more fandom shenanigans that will indulge him. I mean, we've learned that the hard way yo.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
To be fair some shippers do take this thing as seriously as politics lol (on the other hand, there’s far too many people in politics with about as much maturity as shippers)

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
Talk for yourself. I don't plan on listening to this :awesome: I think we already did indulge Jairus way too much here. And what he needs isn't more fandom shenanigans that will indulge him. I mean, we've learned that the hard way yo.

That’s fair, not everything is for everyone. Jairus at least did make an agreement on the show to stop harassing other creators and apologized publicly. I don’t think it absolves him of it, but at least a precedent has been set.
But I respect you and your stance on this (I have been regularly thanking you for your help with Peko’s translations on my reading streams). I hope my intentions with the light I tried to shine on this are seen clearly though, he’s attacked some of the community, and I wanted him to at least take ownership of that. This was not meant as “troll feeding”, and I think I made that clear in the episode, which again, I don’t fault you for not watching.

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
@Schrodingersbabyseal You had all the rights to do it, it's great if you managed to turn it in a peaceful talk about shipping attitude instead of digressing into the black hole of canonicity. I didn't watch it as it was late night in Europe, so I'm not sure what it was really about.
I didn't mean to offend you. Shipping related contents do often attract more fans, I won't pretend I don't do the same with my blog.

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
@Schrodingersbabyseal You had all the rights to do it, it's great if you managed to turn it in a peaceful talk about shipping attitude instead of digressing into the black hole of canonicity. I didn't watch it as it was late night in Europe, so I'm not sure what it was really about.
I didn't mean to offend you. Shipping related contents do often attract more fans, I won't pretend I don't do the same with my blog.

Thank you, I can be a little overly sensitive sometimes, so any offense I took was probably my own insecurities manifesting, sorry if I put that on you. ??

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
I’m still perplexed on why shippers get so caught up with canonicity, like are they trying to justify the right of a ship to exist? Because I can ship Cloud with whoever else and it still won’t change the canon of the story, so what is the “canonicity” argument even about at this point?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
If you're toxic, then I guess I'm Koga's level 50 Venomoth because I cringed hard upon hearing Jairus speak. :awesomonster:

I don't know how anyone could for sit through 3 hours of this LTD shit. That right there is a tall order. I'm just scrolling trying to pick out any interesting bits beyond someone droning on about a ship.

Yeah, I lasted for around 10-15 min. Maybe I'll try and listen longer after having a few drinks

Eerie

Fire and Blood
That’s fair, not everything is for everyone. Jairus at least did make an agreement on the show to stop harassing other creators and apologized publicly. I don’t think it absolves him of it, but at least a precedent has been set.
But I respect you and your stance on this (I have been regularly thanking you for your help with Peko’s translations on my reading streams). I hope my intentions with the light I tried to shine on this are seen clearly though, he’s attacked some of the community, and I wanted him to at least take ownership of that. This was not meant as “troll feeding”, and I think I made that clear in the episode, which again, I don’t fault you for not watching.
Just to be clear, it's not against you or anything; it's not the first time either that Jairus apologises and promises to do better, I'm afraid that his long (way too long) history here can attest this.

To simply put it, I don't think the toxicity of some of the shipping community (and I will add in the lot all the naysayers who go against what SE has written in its canon story and who always tell me they're not shippers and there's no answer to the LT) can be brought down. Here the community is vastly different, but I think we all matured, took a step back and accepted to agree to what SE has written. And agree that despite the fact that canon is canon, shipping is an altogether different matter (most people here in this thread aren't even invested in neither clerith or cloti; I am also one of the few who holds the most extremist view that Cloud never loved Aerith romantically, even if he was attracted to her). Despite my most extreme views, I am of the opinion that SE will put more clerith in the next games (I do think we'll have Aerith for 2 more games before she dies) as well as more cloti, that clerith is cute and a fine ship to ship, and let people ship whatever they want. I do however argue the canon that SE has written down, as it irks me especially since it completely warps the characters (whom I belove) and the story (which message gets lost in the process). But since I argue it here because I don't like arguing on Twitter/Reddit lol :P I guess my life is easier.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi

don't get me wrong, I was certainly entertained to a degree :lol:

I know you were trying to keep it as kindly as possible, so good on you for sticking to your guns on that. I'm not sure how tuned in you might be to the debate-bro sphere of Twitch, but the panel definitely felt like it was modeled after that kind of set up. I'm not sure if it was your intention to pull in that type of audience, but it certainly comes across that way. From my own viewing experience, that demographic typically expecting more unapologetic bloodsports and a less heavily modded chat - as opposed to long stretches of time spent agreeing on the ways that fandom can be toxic, which is kind of a given ya know?

Ofc, that may not be what you were going for in the first place, which is fine. It's just really weird to see people walk on such careful eggshells on what ultimately amounts to meaningless fandom drama. That's not to mention the surprise intervention for the resident fandom cry-bully. That guy really just needs professional help at this point.

Last edited:

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
BltzZ is a crybully? How so? I talk to him pretty regularly... usually several times a day. He is one of my better friends and just a genuinely kind and generous person. So I can't say I agree with your assessment.

Oh... you mean Jairus. Yeah... we'll see if he changes his ways, at least I can say I tried lol.
I appreciate your feedback.
Truthfully I am just glad its over and I can move on to other topics...

Schrodingersbabyseal

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
BBseal
Just to be clear, it's not against you or anything; it's not the first time either that Jairus apologises and promises to do better, I'm afraid that his long (way too long) history here can attest this.

To simply put it, I don't think the toxicity of some of the shipping community (and I will add in the lot all the naysayers who go against what SE has written in its canon story and who always tell me they're not shippers and there's no answer to the LT) can be brought down. Here the community is vastly different, but I think we all matured, took a step back and accepted to agree to what SE has written. And agree that despite the fact that canon is canon, shipping is an altogether different matter (most people here in this thread aren't even invested in neither clerith or cloti; I am also one of the few who holds the most extremist view that Cloud never loved Aerith romantically, even if he was attracted to her). Despite my most extreme views, I am of the opinion that SE will put more clerith in the next games (I do think we'll have Aerith for 2 more games before she dies) as well as more cloti, that clerith is cute and a fine ship to ship, and let people ship whatever they want. I do however argue the canon that SE has written down, as it irks me especially since it completely warps the characters (whom I belove) and the story (which message gets lost in the process). But since I argue it here because I don't like arguing on Twitter/Reddit lol :P I guess my life is easier.

Thank you for this. Honestly I am likely going to tune out all of the shipping discourse for a while now that this episode is over. I will admit this is my most "fanservice-y" episode, because it's not something I myself would willingly seek out to watch. I know how valuable time is and I can definitely see viability in skipping something like this.

Top Bottom