SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, knowing how they operate. I guess they use that a some sort of proof. lol
They usually make noise about him talking about having lost something important to him, but then you go to bervania volcano and find the Materia Blade (The Buster sword) he needs in order to use his class abilities and I think that message stops appearing. Even if it does still show up, well, this is a "currently in the lifestream/ mako poisoned" Cloud, natch.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
They usually make noise about him talking about having lost something important to him, but then you go to bervania volcano and find the Materia Blade (The Buster sword) he needs in order to use his class abilities and I think that message stops appearing. Even if it does still show up, well, this is a "currently in the lifestream/ mako poisoned" Cloud, natch.
If that were referring to Aerith, wouldn’t he say he lost “someone” important instead of “something”? It’s the Cait Sith fortune all over again

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
No I think it's Remake!Aerith - Rebirth - CoLW!Aerith (dream world edition, dies there in the LS) - Rebirth (dies there in our world) - Remake (resolution, she does go back in time aware that his or maybe her feelings are an illusion) - Part 3 (Lifestream edition) - ACC.

I don't think OG!Aerith especially exists, she is just Remake Aerith, an expanded version of OG!Aerith. But CoLW exists after the Remake trilogy too. The insertion of CoLW Aerith exists because Aerith needs to question her own feelings for Cloud, to not get stuck. The church there was her Promised Land and that's why she ultimately met Cloud there, because it was her wish, but she realised her error. This is why the church where Zack landed is Rebirth!Aerith's Promised Land, because it will be her wish to meet Zack there, I think, and as a Cetra, it will become reality.

In short the end of p2 exists for CA to get their ending, and for Aerith to be able to transition back to Zack, most probably. Without it, we see her circling around Cloud (CoLW), but Nojima clearly wants to detach that Aerith, that used to be closer from her OG self, to the one we see at the end of ACC (yes, you're supposed to draw romance from ZA there and it's a clash with CoLW so it has to be explained).

So our Aerith does a nearly whole round before ACC before getting killed by Sephiroth, but outwits him as she sent herself back in the Lifestream "earlier" than her own death, which means that by dying... Aerith comes back into the Lifestream.

I'm not sure I'm clear but it does make sense in my head.
I think part 3 will explain the gap from COLW to AC in regards to Aerith and Zack. As Zack was not mentioned in COLW but appears in AC with Aerith.

What is the difference between COLW Aerith and Ch.14 Remake Resolution Aerith?

Do you think Ch.14 Aerith has already experienced the dream date/or carries the memories of that event? Ch.14 Aerith has a certain wise air to her so I'm inclined to think that she has. (but hasn't met Zack yet)

Do you think the Remake Trilogy is a sequel to AC?

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
What is the difference between COLW Aerith and Ch.14 Remake Resolution Aerith?
CoLW Aerith is closer to OG!Aerith: she remembers her feelings for him and wants to convey them but isn’t aware that he doesn’t feel the same way.

Ch14 Remake Aerith is aware that he doesn’t feel the same way: she is Rebirth Aerith with the memories of CoLW Aerith from the future, so she knows.
Do you think Ch.14 Aerith has already experienced the dream date/or carries the memories of that event? Ch.14 Aerith has a certain wise air to her so I'm inclined to think that she has. (but hasn't met Zack yet)
Yes she does remember all the events in Rebirth but hasn’t seen Zack yet. For her this conversation with Cloud is painful. She makes a face because she knows her feelings are one-sided.
Do you think the Remake Trilogy is a sequel to AC?
No. The Remake trilogy takes place at the same time than the OG. CC happens right before, and the OtWtaS+ AC/C right after. It’s expanded to show us the same story in a different way.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Alright, take this with a pinch of salt but I read at the Saudi Rebirth event the staff/guides were telling people at the church it was the place the hero and heroine started their love story and for the water tower a place where the hero made a promise to a childhood friend. I don't know sometimes I read/see stuffs like this, then feel like I gaslight myself or something in some way. I'm not anti Tifa/Cloti, but SE confuses me sometimes. It might just be PR but even then they must be aware others are going to pass on what they are told, even if they are aware that's how some view it, isn't that just perpetuating (?sp?) it? Not that I think this disproves CT, more caters to the "they are both love stories" crowd/casuals.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Alright, take this with a pinch of salt but I read at the Saudi Rebirth event the staff/guides were telling people at the church it was the place the hero and heroine started their love story and for the water tower a place where the hero made a promise to a childhood friend. I don't know sometimes I read/see stuffs like this, then feel like I gaslight myself or something in some way. I'm not anti Tifa/Cloti, but SE confuses me sometimes. It might just be PR but even then they must be aware others are going to pass on what they are told, even if they are aware that's how some view it, isn't that just perpetuating (?sp?) it? Not that I think this disproves CT, more caters to the "they are both love stories" crowd/casuals.
The person has never played FFVII… she was just in charge of the decorations. She just googled and since there are a lot of misinformation spread by CAs, that’s what she believed.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Yes she does remember all the events in Rebirth but hasn’t seen Zack yet. For her this conversation with Cloud is painful. She makes a face because she knows her feelings are one-sided.
If Aerith knows her feelings are one-sided, what is the point of telling Cloud to not fall in love with her? Though she was mostly telling it herself, why warn Cloud if it would not happen?

No. The Remake trilogy takes place at the same time than the OG. CC happens right before, and the OtWtaS+ AC/C right after. It’s expanded to show us the same story in a different way.
Where would you place the Remake trilogy in the FF7 compilation in terms of chronology? Unless its own separate thing.

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
the staff/guides were telling people at the church it was the place the hero and heroine started their love story
Interviewer: In FFVII, the part of Aerith’s first love which we couldn’t imagine how it was, is described in CC, and lots of FFVII fans are pleased about it.
Nojima: From the very beginning, I had decided to repeat the meeting with Cloud, as in “falling into the church from above”. Even though I call it romantic love, both of them are still young and I couldn’t spend too much time in-game depicting “how they came to like each other”, so I made it seem like they suddenly met and fell in love.
(CCFF7 Ultimania, Interview Section)

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Ah, I thought it was like SE staff, and it was like a script/rote they had for folks visiting the church, water tower, etc. Thanks.

Only reason I knew of it was because I saw some drama while browsing, someone thought CTs had been making fun of the staff and harassing them while laughing multiple times but another person from there said that was their friend and made it more clear it wasn't what people thought (because language barrier, etc), it was more innocent and good humour, they didn't mean harm.

Sacky

Pro Adventurer
AKA
SackyBoy
Ah, I thought it was like SE staff, and it was like a script/rote they had for folks visiting the church, water tower, etc. Thanks.

Only reason I knew of it was because I saw some drama while browsing, someone thought CTs had been making fun of the staff and harassing them while laughing multiple times but another person from there said that was their friend and made it more clear it wasn't what people thought (because language barrier, etc), it was more innocent and good humour, they didn't mean harm.
I've seen that aswell, another issue with the use of Arabic machine translation, you won't get an accurate one to the meaning of the words.

pxl_pushr

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Pixel
Crazy thought. So we know the clear materia has the potential to be a white materia, and the Gi’s story says that non-Cetra can activate/fill it with a strong enough will/desire… what if Cloud is the starting point of the time loop tied to the White Materia?

His hope and dream being that Zack and Aerith are together in the lifestream, kicking off this whole chain of events. Maybe he hands the “new” white materia off to Aerith at the end when her hand is outstretched?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Didn't Remake!Aerith transfer it to RedXIII when she touched him in the Shinra lab? (in Remake)
We know where the memories enter present Red, what I mean is where in Red's future timeline do the memories come from if they do, or was he simply given an infodump of some sort like Marlene was?

Speaking of, how long do you think her future memory powers are going to last? Granted, we only saw a copy world version of her, but she still seems to have them whereas Aerith and Red lost theirs presumably to the rift.

Shadowstorm

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Yen
We know where the memories enter present Red, what I mean is where in Red's future timeline do the memories come from if they do, or was he simply given an infodump of some sort like Marlene was?

Speaking of, how long do you think her future memory powers are going to last? Granted, we only saw a copy world version of her, but she still seems to have them whereas Aerith and Red lost theirs presumably to the rift.
I could see her keeping it fairly long-term especially if they plan on doing AC stuff. Didn't the movie kind of imply she had something going on already? If they do plan on making that a dlc or game as well, Marlene having some future knowledge could be the thing they use to spice things up.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
If Aerith knows her feelings are one-sided, what is the point of telling Cloud to not fall in love with her? Though she was mostly telling it herself, why warn Cloud if it would not happen?
This is a message breaking the fourth wall too, "even if you THINK you have, it's an illusion": it's basically a warning. At the end of Rebirth, we know Cloud doesn't see her romantically, so it really was more a self warning and a player warning. The player can totally see his interactions with Aerith as romantic, he can think Cloud is in love with her, but it's an illusion.
Where would you place the Remake trilogy in the FF7 compilation in terms of chronology? Unless its own separate thing.
Didn't I just already say it though? Right after CC, before OtWtaS and ACC. That's the spot for the OG, that's the spot for the Remake trilogy.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
This is a message breaking the fourth wall too, "even if you THINK you have, it's an illusion": it's basically a warning. At the end of Rebirth, we know Cloud doesn't see her romantically, so it really was more a self warning and a player warning. The player can totally see his interactions with Aerith as romantic, he can think Cloud is in love with her, but it's an illusion.

Didn't I just already say it though? Right after CC, before OtWtaS and ACC. That's the spot for the OG, that's the spot for the Remake trilogy.
Which again raises the question of what you think happened on a cycle where Aerith didn't have future knowledge, or if you even think such a cycle exist. I'm tracking everything else you're saying but that part is a bit of a sticking point at the moment.

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Interesting. Didn't think of possible meta commentary. However, I had the inclination that Aerith warned Cloud out of an assumption (due to her own confused feelings and perhaps misunderstanding how he felt towards her)

I misunderstood. I didn't realize you meant that Remake takes the OG spot. I thought they were separate.

I've seen theories claim that Remake takes places after AC because Aerith tells Cloud to not blame himself and she is trying to undo AC (which in turn may cause AC to be retconned). There is discourse arguing what the point of Aerith warning Cloud and him going through all this character development for him to only end up back in AC. Thoughts?

Last edited:

imach0c0

Pro Adventurer
Which again raises the question of what you think happened on a cycle where Aerith didn't have future knowledge, or if you even think such a cycle exist. I'm tracking everything else you're saying but that part is a bit of a sticking point at the moment.
Is there lore that explains the mechanics of the LS and how the concept of memories work in that realm?

Eerie

Fire and Blood
If you mean "as in the OG", then such cycle doesn't exist, at least in the Remake trilogy, except in Rebirth (because she lost her memories of the future); to me the OG simply does not exist in the Remake scope. And I wouldn't be surprised if LS!Aerith sent her younger self all this knowledge (maybe they will hint at it, but I'm not sure). So I am excluding the OG timeline, as Re-trilogy's timeline is supposed to replace it.

You have to imagine that "our" Aerith became "CoLW!Aerith", then the events in Rebirth happened, and she decided to place herself right before dying again, so she'd gain more power and knowledge as her human body dies, in order to face Sephiroth (whom she is scared of in CoLW; she actually hid in her world). In order to drumrolls actually change the future (and thus, AC/C could happen).

I've seen theories claim that Remake takes places after AC because Aerith tells Cloud to not blame himself and she is trying to undo AC (which in turn may cause AC to be retconned). There is discourse arguing what the point of Aerith warning Cloud and him going through all this character development for him to only end up back in AC. Thoughts?
LOL people who think AC/C is going to get retconned absolutely do not understand its importance to the devs and to the Compilation. I mean, I get it, if I could, the plot would be vastly different, Cloud wouldn't be such an emo prick, it would be better written...

But AC/C is going nowhere. Worst, the devs have repeatedly said that the Remake trilogy would lead right into it!

And what people don't understand is that Cloud going back to AC is exactly what's going to be written. We're going to have hints about it. Do I hate it? YES. But I'm not blind, nor deaf, and when the devs talk, I have heard them say since the beginning "we're remaking the OG, expanding on it, tying the Compilation to the story, but it's the same story", and it's something some fans have been refusing from the start. Yet here we are at the end of part 2, right after Aerith's death, still following the OG.

What's the point? Discovering the story from another angle, with high definition graphics, updated battle system, more of the world than we could imagine... I mean, are we gamers or not???

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
If you mean "as in the OG", then such cycle doesn't exist, at least in the Remake trilogy, except in Rebirth (because she lost her memories of the future); to me the OG simply does not exist in the Remake scope. And I wouldn't be surprised if LS!Aerith sent her younger self all this knowledge (maybe they will hint at it, but I'm not sure). So I am excluding the OG timeline, as Re-trilogy's timeline is supposed to replace it.

You have to imagine that "our" Aerith became "CoLW!Aerith", then the events in Rebirth happened, and she decided to place herself right before dying again, so she'd gain more power and knowledge as her human body dies, in order to face Sephiroth (whom she is scared of in CoLW; she actually hid in her world). In order to drumrolls actually change the future (and thus, AC/C could happen).

LOL people who think AC/C is going to get retconned absolutely do not understand its importance to the devs and to the Compilation. I mean, I get it, if I could, the plot would be vastly different, Cloud wouldn't be such an emo prick, it would be better written...

But AC/C is going nowhere. Worst, the devs have repeatedly said that the Remake trilogy would lead right into it!

And what people don't understand is that Cloud going back to AC is exactly what's going to be written. We're going to have hints about it. Do I hate it? YES. But I'm not blind, nor deaf, and when the devs talk, I have heard them say since the beginning "we're remaking the OG, expanding on it, tying the Compilation to the story, but it's the same story", and it's something some fans have been refusing from the start. Yet here we are at the end of part 2, right after Aerith's death, still following the OG.

What's the point? Discovering the story from another angle, with high definition graphics, updated battle system, more of the world than we could imagine... I mean, are we gamers or not???

So you don't think there's any version of 'remake Aerith' for lack of a better term that isn't also carrying around Lifestream Aerith? Fascinating, if a bit paradoxical, but then again so's the Lifestream a bit.

Top Bottom