• Dead

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
It'd still be silly to argue that it isn't romantic, on a page about romance.
...especially since they have another section about non-romantic love at the bottom of the page.

Big cheese:
However, they got the translation of the caption under HW scene picture wrong. According to them, it says that Cloud and Tifa's feelings match. Messenger of the Ancients said that it does *not* say their feeling match. It says that they confirmed their feelings to one another.

Clerii Translator:
合う (au) is most often a verb that means match. This time it is not a verb but it goes at the end of 確かめ (tashikame). Its kind of hard to explain but let me copy what I wrote in a message to Anastar.

What I mean to say is that “au” in this case is not a verb. They are not fitting or matching there feelings. Confirming is the verb, they are confirming feelings together. Meaning, they both feel it together, and they are confirming that.
Okay, I hope that makes sense. Its not an easy thing to explain. Sorry if I repeated myself, but I was not sure the best way to say it

Eerie

Fire and Blood
This is why I made my friend translate :monster:

To quote myself:

me said:
Just a note, to give a translation from someone who's outside fandom - lol, took him time to remember that FFVII was a game XD Credits to spacecat, who was tired and barely got arsed to translate it, so it's not perfect either:

spacecat said:
The Date at the Golden Saucer
Cloud is given an invite from a party member. Who comes with the invite is determined by Cloud's behaviour.

Night before the final battle
Because of Tifa, Cloud recovers himself. Before the battle with Sephiroth, it is conveyed without spoken words that he and Tifa feel the same about one another.

And that's from someone who had to be told things like "Gold Saucer" XD He was very ?___? at the "because of Tifa, Cloud recovers himself" lol XD

Also, after that, he went in the CloTi FC in the Bleach forums and went "oh, I see, that's the other translation" [yes, because I had to quote and redirect to you guyz] "I'm glad I was right :monster:"

Ended up saying that people should convey their matching feelings without words more, so go Cloud XD

Yes, he's funny like that XD

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Anyone surprised they'd want to word it more to their liking? Although how that helps them is beyond me.
What I mean to say is that “au” in this case is not a verb. They are not fitting or matching there feelings. Confirming is the verb, they are confirming feelings together. Meaning, they both feel it together, and they are confirming that.
Okay, I hope that makes sense. Its not an easy thing to explain. Sorry if I repeated myself, but I was not sure the best way to say it

How is this in essence any different?

Last edited:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
*was outposted and didn't see the translation*

It's so lulzy that they confirm their feelings. ON A PAGE DEDICATED TO ROMANTIC LOVE. HAHAHAHA XD

Are they realising what they're saying? :monster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
if they both feel it together, isn't that the same thing as mutual?
Party pooper :awesome:

It just means that they feel erm. Something. Maybe. One and the other you know? It just doesn't say what. See because.

Shit circular logic, I can't do it.

*laughs way too much*

I think what was even funnier was the "No, we don't want a Cloti translation. And no, we don't want someone who is not in the fandom to translate. We want a Clerii to translate so they can twist it the way we want it to sound." The last part wasn't said but really, when you say you don't even want a non-fan to translate so there is absolutely no chance of bias, you must know that even they won't word it the way you want it to sound.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Was the 合う in 確かめ合う taken as 'matching' or as the suffix show that they both verify their feelings together?
I think this is what their translator is trying to say. But...

Meaning, they both feel it together, and they are confirming that.
.. so...don't they match? O_o

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Let me translate for you:

"So yeah, they tell their feelings to each other, but nothing says it's lurve, OKAY? :monster:"

*quick, let's erase the context :awesome:*

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Let me translate for you:

"So yeah, they tell their feelings to each other, but nothing says it's lurve, OKAY? :monster:"

*quick, let's erase the context :awesome:*

And it is by some horrible mistake that C/T ended up in the love section and not the one after.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
The "I hate you but Im going to have sex with you anyway you bitch" section :awesome:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
The "I hate you but Im going to have sex with you anyway you bitch" section :awesome:
not hate, he just doesn't want to tell her that he loves her because he knows it's not the truth, so to placate her, he has sex with her. Dexter Morgan totally does the same thing.

Loxetta

Pro Adventurer
Where is this re-translating stuff happening, anyway? Been looking on TNC and CxA pink forums for it and can't find it.

Mine's from when a friend there tipped me off to someone/my clerii friends at the time talking about me, but I needed an account to see for myself. Since then, it's useful when things get this bad and I want to see the train wreak for myself. :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Big cheese:

Clerii Translator:

The thing is, I think she thinks the translation is saying 'They matched their feelings' instead of 'They confirmed their feelings that each one shares' which can also be described as 'matching feelings'

Matching is modifying feelings, not the action that Cloud and Tifa do.

This is why I want to start an open dialogue with Messenger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom