Votes: 96 88.9%
  • Dead

Votes: 12 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendel

Banned
This is mostly because a lot of these quotes in the Ultimana's still reference the differences in affection, so I don't think they are ruling it out.

The Low version only gets one mention that I can see in that list of quotes. While the fact that there is a difference gets 4. But the description for the high scene is still used every time but that one.

And for our friends at the C/A forum. The fact that a good 3/4 of the quotes don't mention multiple versions or the low scene at all is significant.

So yes Zee. They are ruling it out.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I think Celes Chere's/Yusei's comparison to Lock and Celes of FFVI, summed up the intimacy question regarding FFVII's Cloud and Tifa. That was a good one.

I thought so too, but apparently not because I was IGNORED. IM LEAVING THIS FORUM FOREVER.

But seriously, Locke and Celes never hugged, kissed, or even did so much as hold hands. The way they act around each other, and the dialogue shows us that they are together. Just by playing the game you can tell.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
The low affection scene gets two specific mentions, the others, even talking about the high affection, make mention that if anything happens it only happens in that scenario. In any case it's brought up in almost every mention of the Highwind scene.

I don't see how that's ruling it out if they continue to acknowledge it.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, the Youtard is familiar with TLS. Anyone want to bet she was the frontpage poster 'CLERITH'/'CLERTIH' etc?

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
The low affection scene gets two specific mentions, the others, even talking about the high affection, make mention that if anything happens it only happens in that scenario. In any case it's brought up in almost every mention of the Highwind scene.

I don't see how that's ruling it out if they continue to acknowledge it.

They do not acknowledge it when they are talking about the compilation storyline. The descriptions specify that Cloud and Tifa confirm their feelings in the event the affection value is high and not the other one. So when they say things like:

"She communicates her feelings together with Cloud in the final stages of the story, and in AC and DC they live together."

This doesn't really apply to the LA version. If they wanted the LA version to be relevant it would be mentioned every time and not just occasionally when talking only about the game. Mainly they do in UO which is outdated anyway.

It's optional but so are Vincent and Yuffie and they are canon.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I'm 90% sure who this youtube posters is... let's see if I can egg her on by saying she's afraid...

and yes the fact that they don't specify a version but say "This happens" doesn't mean "this may or may not happen" it means "THIS HAPPPENS!" period.

Goodbye Charlie

Rising Chest-Bank Protestor
I always thought the date choice versus the highwind scene were two different things, though. With the date, you get a whole different character. With the Highwind scene, we're still focused on Cloud and Tifa, the only difference is that one is slightly awkward. Even with the Low Affection, though, I don't think it's a giant hole in the continuity.

This is mostly because a lot of these quotes in the Ultimana's still reference the differences in affection, so I don't think they are ruling it out. They know people who played the original game came to their own conclusions about it and they found a way to bridge the gap with CoT by leading into the relationship in such a way you could believe it regardless of the path you took.

I do feel you're still clinging to this fan held conclusion that the original game was open ended so far as the triangle went, which it wasn't. The only query was really to the outcome of the story itself. CoT is a very natural progression from FF7 - and yes, could work with either LA or HA variants. That being said, if you either look at FF7 as a piece of contemporary fiction, or simply as a logical progression of events, the LA doesn't really ring a ding as the HA does. It's pretty common in fiction around the world to have the hero and heroine consummate in the third act (one that springs to mind immediately is Terminator for some reason). In much dramatic fiction sex is either a reward for the audience (aw they got together) or a reward for the audience (ha - die, that will teach you for having sex). The latter is more prevalent in horror of course. Given this commonality, you can see the High Affection fits in very naturally with this contemporary construct, far more than the Low Affection. And so far as the general string of events suggest (that Cloud has always been interested in Tifa, that Tifa has always been loyal to Cloud, they are confessing their feelings on the eve of Armageddon as two young, lonely adults) again the High Affection carries more meaning.

As I've said before, I think the debate over story and character is often mixed with the debate of gaming preferences. FF7 is no longer a game, but a universe and I think the H/A fits with that universe more and the preferences of who the gamer liked/disliked carries less relevance.

And in terms of the books, I don't think they are concerned that the audience made a choice at all - I think that's a video game fallacy from fandom. I think they are simply reporting what the scene is about and noting in the game the players could alter the scene a little. If you follow that list on the previous page its quite clear that the books aren't keeping the ideas open for the player - aside from documenting the different outcomes as a point of interest, I think the books have always indicated a high affection, as have the creators and for that reason I refer you back to the original paragraph, because the HA actually makes sense in the conventions of contemporary fiction while the L/A doesn't, feeling just a bit of an oddity - which it is, an oddity to vary a computer game, not to give you an indication of what the story as a whole is meant to suggest.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Further, the HA version more logically fits with the idea that we are told, repeatedly, often without any mention of the versions at all, that confirmation of feelings happens.

Of course, I'm reminded of the fact that there are, technically speaking, about sixteen different permutations of 'endings' for final fantasy five, and even more for FF6, depending on who the player had in their party (or alive at the end, in the case of 5) but only one 'canon' ending.

Like Fighter said, Vincent and Yuffie are optional, but canon. You have a choice to get them in FF7, but the choice is made in the whole compilation. Same scenario with the HA highwind.

I've said this before, but because it's relevant, the L/A seemed more to me like not getting Yuffie or Vincent or seeing Zack's flashbacks. It's missing something, it's not quite complete. You are either rewarded with seeing Cloud and Tifa finally reveal their feelings for one another, or you miss that part, and see nothing more than them talking about a few events and then going to sleep.

EDIT: Ryu said basically what I said while I was writing. XP

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
What are some other optional scenes that have a canon ending?... besides Yuffie and Vincent, seeing Lucrecia's ghost I guess.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
All of Zack's memories in Crisis Core- a lot of FFIV:TA has 'optional' outcomes.

Bringing Crono back to life...

Smacking Yang in the head with a pan to wake him in the Original FFIV is totally optional but does happen according to the story given his appearance battling the Giant of Bab-Il.

I'm sure there are plenty others.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Good now take my quiz :awesome:

Celes
WTF? what did you pick for your answers? I picked dream big too but still got Cloti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom