Mass Effect Series

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
-ayaQ7vh.jpg

:awesome:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Icwutudidthar. :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
So I just finished ME1...

Meh... it's a good thing it's not the only game in it's series because it was pretty boring as far as the story went. Until, the last oh... two planets... then it got interesting. Why it doesn't start with the intro of the Reapers/Sovereign I don't know. It would have given me a lot more drive to actually try to stop Saren for one thing, as opposed to him just being your average "take over the world with my minions" bad guy.

The combat was okay though. Getting a pure tech and pure biotic on the team pretty much decimates everything though. And since on the PC everyone except Liara is proficient with Pistols... the hardest thing to fight as an Engineer are snipers. No wonder there's another two difficulty settings to go though...

As far as story goes...

There are times when I wish the first big-name PC game I played had not been The Elder Scrolls... it would help me have lower standards for good world-building in video games. And for involved main-quests and side-quests...

I don't know what it is about the pacing of ME1, but it feels "short". Probably because all the time doing extra stuff doesn't really impact the main plot all that much. And yet at the same time, it really needs to be done if just for all the skill points. But most of the side-stuff feels very isolated from the main quest and there's not much of an emotional investment with the PC. They're just jobs.

Which kinda goes with the theme of how even with the mass relays, everyone in the galaxy is isolated from everyone else. Even with the Citadel and the Council, all the races are looking out for their own interests and hoping to preserve the status quo. And to be honest, they kinda have to. The game goes out of it's way to make space huge and to develop a sense of distance between places. The problem is that nothing seems connected to anything else. The main story even takes advantage of this when Shepard gets the Normandy out from under the Counsel's nose and though a mass relay... and it works. Space is large enough in the Mass Effect 'verse for stuff to get lost. And it also makes it easy for everyone to forget about stuff that isn't close to home; there's some good odds that far away stuff is so far away, it won't matter for a long time.

On the other hand... I didn't clue into the fact that you have to put points into Charm/Intimidate to get any of the "fun" responses until after Virmire... so....

Anyway... I'm a sucker for Achievements... so it's time to do some replays...

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
It might not seem that the extra stuff can affect the plot overall in the first game, but it can affect some things in the second and third game (like certain people dying/surviving, playing god, etc). The first game is easily the weakest in the bunch, but it's not necessarily a bad game either. It does feel quite repetitive and I agree with you on the story, it really only did get interesting on the last two planets.

Did you romance anyone by the way? :monster:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It might not seem that the extra stuff can affect the plot overall in the first game, but it can affect some things in the second and third game (like certain people dying/surviving, playing god, etc).
It's not that the extra stuff doesn't effect the plot over all that bugs me. It's more that the emotional investment in doing them isn't there. The side-quests in Citadel are a lot better at this then the galaxy ones. The Citadel quests are mostly given to you by people and involve you talking with them and then doing things other then fighting to complete them (for the most part). The galaxy quests are just given to you over a Com system and usually come down to you fighting people only to find that you got there too late. There isn't a lot of human interaction in them.
Did you romance anyone by the way? :monster:
I didn't... but that was probably because I don't think I talked to anyone until I got to Citadel... On the other hand, romance isn't something I'm all that into IRL, so there's that.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I'm still of the mind that the sequel was 2 steps forward, 2 steps back in some ways. I won't disagree that the Space Jesusing isn't incredibly fast-paced in this game, though.

Lex

Administrator
Someone on reddit pointed out that the depiction of Pluto's colour in ME2 is eerily similar to what it actually looks like.

500px-Plutosmall_MassEffect.png

Keep in mind that up until two weeks ago, the best picture of Pluto was this:

Pluto_animiert_200px.gif

Lex

Administrator
So the DLC prices for Mass Effect on PC are absolutely insane. Like proper mental. I can get the important shit (Leviathan, Omega, Citadel) for £24, which is around the same price I paid for it on PS3. You know, 3 years ago when it was released >_>

As for Mass Effect 2, the PC version comes with no DLC.

yar har fiddle dee dee

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^It's probably a slap in the face to everyone who gets ME1 and ME2 though Steam. 'Cause I got both of those for less then $8 USD on sale and ME2 was the deluxe edition...

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah it's super rare for the PC DLC to go on sale. I think I've only ever seen it on sale, like, once

That was on Origin, mind :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA

Lex

Administrator
No, I'm cleverly insinuating my intention to sail the seven seas >_>

Incidentally, I spent most of yesterday trying to mod through ME3Explorer. Texture modding is fairly straighforward (if annoyingly time consuming) but I've given up. It crashed on texture 68 of 1600 then when I went to sort it, the program crashed. I started again for it to crash on the same texture. Had to manually process that file (which had about 200 textures after number 68) then thought maybe it was a fail file and put the rest in a queue before going to sleep. It stopped on number 148 again and now the game won't load.

Good thing I backed shit up.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I sincerely hope it doesn't distance itself too much from the original trilogy. I'm all for new places, new races and a new protagonist but I also want to be able to feel some of the weight of the last games behind it.

By distancing itself, I want Bioware to be able to tell a new story that doesn't rely on cameo after cameo. At the same time I don't want this to be a completely different space shooter with the Mass Effect name slapped onto it.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I had similar thoughts. And as far as I was aware, I thought there were going to be some appearances from past characters, whether big or even something as small as a cameo. I would like the new game to somehow acknowledge the past events, as painful as that wound still is. The new planets, storyline, etc still excites me, though.

Lex

Administrator
I'm optimistic-excited about it. As long as Bioware deliver what they've been able to deliver in almost every game so far I'm happy. I'm expecting the odd reference and while I'd love to see characters I adore again, at this point I'm content to leave their stories in the original trilogy. I really want this to be a new experience and it looks like it's going in that direction.

I'm not convinced that Andromeda was the right way to go with it - it's stated a lot in the trilogy that all the space faring species were reliant on the mass relays and they hadn't mapped even a sizeable chunk of the milky way, so they could have gone somewhere with that. But they would have had to have included some known locations if they'd done that, so I can understand WHY they did this. As long as it has a cool story, the signature Mass Effect style gameplay, squadmates and choices, I'm happy.

I'll be streaming ME3 again in a little bit, will post here to bump thread when I do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom