Mass Effect Series

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
also I love me some JRPGs but if I see one more JRPG fag bitching about the high score ME2 got I will personally hunt them down and give them a swift kick in the crotch. I know that WRPGs are all the rage right now, but saying that ME2 didn't deserve the excellent reviews that it got is stupid.

Tell me these people so I can slowly cross off their names. I love JPRGs, ever since I was a kid, and even though I've always appreciated a good WRPG, JRPGs have always had a special place in my heart.

But this game is good. Not even just 'good for an WRPG'. I wouldn't even say 'subjectively' good. This game is a victory for video gamers everywhere, because of how good it is. It is a massively well done, well polished, well written, well built game, and instead of having envious pity parties, the best thing for everyone to do is to shut the fuck up and play it until you black out, because I can pretty much assure everyone is going to have a good time! And in the larger scope, it shouldn't be about 'WRPGS vs. JRPGs' in that sense.

Smart developers learn from other developers that did it right. Mass Effect 2 is quickly becoming one of the highest acclaimed games of its kind ever (or by the end of the month, maybe even one of the highest acclaimed games just in general, so I figure it would be great it developers everywhere looked at it, and say 'Hey, we can learn from this game'. Not that developers should try to copy it, no, I don't mean basic things like its setting or whatnot, but more fundamental reasons why. Its writing, its immersion, likability of its characters (Garrus and Mordin are going to be legends before the year is up) it's near perfect detail in its setting (I dare you to find a plot hole in how things work in Mass Effects setting. I fucking dare you. Literally everything you see has an explanation somewhere, and it all fits. No inconsistencies. No holes. Nowhere. In both games. They got that shit on lock. Square, Final Fantasy VII, I'm looking at you).

Instead of sippin' on that Haterade, I hope that both fans and developers note the success of Mass Effect 2, and other successful games to continue making great produces for us video game fans to enjoy, because at the end of the day, new games are still fifty fucking dollars. Make it worth our while, WRPG, AND JRPG developers!

AWESOME ME2 CONVERSATION OF THE DAY

Garrus: You ever miss those talks we had on the elevators?
Tali: No.
Garrus: Come on, remember how we'd all ask you about your life on the flotilla? (at this point of the sentence it actually sounds like he's holding back a giggle) It was an opportunity to share!
Tali: This conversation is over.
Garrus: Tell me again about your immune system!
Tali: I have a shotgun.
Garrus: Maybe we'll talk later.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Yeah I noticed that.

I love playing as a badass femshepard though. Her Voice acting sounds so much better to me than the male, and I just fucking lost it when I made her headbutt a fucking Krogan.

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
oddishness, like vines, azula, femshep, winter
Tell me these people so I can slowly cross off their names. I love JPRGs, ever since I was a kid, and even though I've always appreciated a good WRPG, JRPGs have always had a special place in my heart.
Between GameFAQs and /v/, I have spotted quite a few of them. Seriously, it makes me rage. OBVIOUSLY ME2 ONLY GOT IT'S GOOD SCORE BECAUSE IT WAS A WRPG. IT COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE BECAUSE, YOU KNOW, IT'S A GREAT GAME. NEVER.

But this game is good. Not even just 'good for an WRPG'. I wouldn't even say 'subjectively' good. This game is a victory for video gamers everywhere, because of how good it is. It is a massively well done, well polished, well written, well built game, and instead of having envious pity parties, the best thing for everyone to do is to shut the fuck up and play it until you black out, because I can pretty much assure everyone is going to have a good time! And in the larger scope, it shouldn't be about 'WRPGS vs. JRPGs' in that sense.
Yeah, I have to agree with this. The whole concept and execution of the game is just smart and well-done. From the well fleshed-out sci fi setting to the innovative gameplay (why can't we combine RPG elements with other game styles more often? it feels good man), it's just a great goddamn game. I hate saying "JRPGs need to take a page out of WRPGs book", but I really feel like everyone in and around the industry needs to at least pick up this game. It's a breath of fresh air for RPGs, and the genre as a whole definitely needed it.

I won't say it's the BEST GAME EVAR, but it's got to be one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

Smart developers learn from other developers that did it right. Mass Effect 2 is quickly becoming one of the highest acclaimed games of its kind ever (or by the end of the month, maybe even one of the highest acclaimed games just in general, so I figure it would be great it developers everywhere looked at it, and say 'Hey, we can learn from this game'. Not that developers should try to copy it, no, I don't mean basic things like its setting or whatnot, but more fundamental reasons why. Its writing, its immersion, likability of its characters (Garrus and Mordin are going to be legends before the year is up) it's near perfect detail in its setting (I dare you to find a plot hole in how things work in Mass Effects setting. I fucking dare you. Literally everything you see has an explanation somewhere, and it all fits. No inconsistencies. No holes. Nowhere. In both games. They got that shit on lock. Square, Final Fantasy VII, I'm looking at you).
AHAHA, PLOT CONSISTENCIES IN A JRPG. OH LOL. lolol seriously though, look at FFVIII. As much as I love it, a lot of the plot was an absolute trainwreck. At the end I sat there with my controller thinking "...what the fuck just happened, did that even make sense what"

Instead of sippin' on that Haterade, I hope that both fans and developers note the success of Mass Effect 2, and other successful games to continue making great produces for us video game fans to enjoy, because at the end of the day, new games are still fifty fucking dollars. Make it worth our while, WRPG, AND JRPG developers!
I agree with this. The divide in the RPG fandom is completely understandable, but I really don't like it. I want to be able to see a game and not have it reek of very specific WRPG (who cares if the plot sucks, YOU DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS!1!) or JRPG (PRETTY MEN! LOTS OF THEM!) traits, but instead combine the best assets of the RPG genre as a whole.

AWESOME ME2 CONVERSATION OF THE DAY
AHAHA I LOVE THE DIALOGUE IN ME2.

Also, I love the whole "romance option" thing. It's a total draw in and I cannot wait to take advantage of it. Very smart move on the developer's part.

I find it absolutely ironic that the first game ever to implement a dating sim-esque element to the plot was an FF game, and then SE dropped the concept forever (despite the fact that the dating system was, obviously, a favorite for a lot of players), only to have it picked up by WRPGs a decade later.

It seems pretty stupid, but I'll be goddamned if it doesn't give a game at least a little replay value. You better believe I replayed FFVII to get a date with Barret. It's pretty sad that SE really didn't pick up on this at all, they missed a huge bet there.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
It's not even about rpgs at this point for me. It's more about the convergence of different genres to make a masterpiece of a product.

I would kill for a game with Bayonetta level polish combat, and an exploration story driven plot that lets you interact with characters on the same level as ME2. Throw a little co-op in there and I would be mad about that shit.

That was sorta my hope for an FF7 remake tbh, but I have no illusions about that project left.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I hate saying "JRPGs need to take a page out of WRPGs book", but I really feel like everyone in and around the industry needs to at least pick up this game.

I want to be able to see a game and not have it reek of very specific WRPG (who cares if the plot sucks, YOU DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS!1!) or JRPG (PRETTY MEN! LOTS OF THEM!) traits, but instead combine the best assets of the RPG genre as a whole.

I'm glad you said this, because I want to note that in the case I mentioned, 'taking a page from Mass Effect's book', doesn't mean a JRPG adopting the gameplay mechanics of an WRPG, or the plot conventions of an WRPG as in choosing your own path, and all that. WRPGs and JRPGs at their core are well liked and great for different reasons. I can totally fall in love with the branching pathes of an WRPG just as I could fall in love with the linear, novel like narrative of a JRPG. Neither is fundamentally bad nor has to adopt anything like that from the others (however, I will state that meshing the two game styles can be very, very sexy when done well, and I support the children of said intergaming matrimonies whenever they're done right.)

What I really mean by 'taking a page' from Mass Effect's book' is from more of a fundamental outlook. Any genre can adopt things like a coherent, engaging narrative, interesting characters, and dialogue that pushes the envelope yet it's so good it gets away with it (I've never seen so many sly sexual jokes in a game delivered so skillfully before), a coherent, expansive setting.

What Mass Effect ultimately succeeds in is being ambitions in it's goals and achieving them. This was no accident. Bioware knew damn what what they were doing when they made this game. They went into from jump street with the ambition of making a really great piece of work, and well, looking at the acclaim this game has, they succeeded. It's not even that all games have to be huge, big budget events. It's just about the fact that if you're going to make a product, own it. Even if it's small budget in a basement, make the best damn game you can. Don't be okay with releasing mediocre products. The very fact that ME2 pretty much erased every major flaw from the first one is proof that someone is actually paying the fuck attention as to what gamers want.

It's not even about rpgs at this point for me. It's more about the convergence of different genres to make a masterpiece of a product.

Also this. Condensed short version, basically. There it is, right here.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
drunk Shepard scene said:
Shepard: Gimme another. Put it in the thing...stuff goes into.

Shepard's a badass, imo.

AUGHHHHHH TALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. My intergalactic girlfriend. :'(

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I'm going as female shepard. trying to score with Garrus.
The only way to make this game even more awesome would be if Tali was a lesbian option and you could threesome with her and Garrus. I RLY DO LOVE INTERSPECIES ROMANCE. :awesome:

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
I am so sad there is no lesbian romance for Tali GODDAMNIT SHE IS SO CUTE

I want to jump her alien bones sob

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yeah, really bums me out that the only female romance option for Female Shepards is Kelly.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
I am so sad there is no lesbian romance for Tali GODDAMNIT SHE IS SO CUTE

I want to jump her alien bones sob
and when you think about it, it's way safer for her because she can just use that nerve stimulator while she and femshepard get it on. So she wouldn't even need to take off her suit and risk getting sick!

I think it's awesome.

Vendel

Banned
and when you think about it, it's way safer for her because she can just use that nerve stimulator while she and femshepard get it on. So she wouldn't even need to take off her suit and risk getting sick!

I think it's awesome.

Sorry, but Tali wants the gun not the holster.

RagnorokKing

仮面ライダー&#
AKA
RK, Kamen Rider Cho Decade, The Fiend of Earth
Oh snap you just got served.

I do love Tali, although one reason I'm "trying" to get in her pants is mainly...how the hell do you do it with her?
I must see.

Btw, is there a better Sniper Rifle out there, I've upgraded every damn weapon like three times but still have the same rifle.
It kicks ass but still...

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I found a new Sniper Rifle in the recruitment mission for Thane.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Oh snap you just got served.

I do love Tali, although one reason I'm "trying" to get in her pants is mainly...how the hell do you do it with her?
I must see.

Btw, is there a better Sniper Rifle out there, I've upgraded every damn weapon like three times but still have the same rifle.
It kicks ass but still...
she takes her suit off and gets an awful sinus infection and cold. Spoilah, btw.

I like Garrus, but Thane just weirds me out. May be because I don't really like fish.

RagnorokKing

仮面ライダー&#
AKA
RK, Kamen Rider Cho Decade, The Fiend of Earth
If that actually happens, I will forever hate you.
THIS I SWEAR!

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
it's not like you actually see her face or anything. It was kinda a cop-out.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yes it was.

Also, Mordin singing is one of my favorite moments in a game ever.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
so I was thinking about how it causes allergic reactions to ingest dextro-proteins and shit and I was thinking that wouldn't it be impossible to have a turian/quarian and human baby? Since I assume that the same reaction if not worse would occur if one was impregnated by the incorrect proteins.

tl;dr: Tina wonders about the dynamics of interspecies sex and procreation

Winter

8ad 8r8k
AKA
masseffectbook.jpg

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
so I was thinking about how it causes allergic reactions to ingest dextro-proteins and shit and I was thinking that wouldn't it be impossible to have a turian/quarian and human baby? Since I assume that the same reaction if not worse would occur if one was impregnated by the incorrect proteins.

Regardless of the dextro-protein situation, it would be impossible to have a turian/quarian turian/human quarian/human baby anyway because they're totally different species.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I was talking to my buddy Omar, and geez the butthurt turians on citadel are really starting to irritate me.

Everytime they call me human repeatedly in that tone sounds really offensive. Like they're calling me a nigger or something.

Butthurt aliens.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Regardless of the dextro-protein situation, it would be impossible to have a turian/quarian turian/human quarian/human baby anyway because they're totally different species.
Well, considering some vidya games have hot skitty on wailord action (Parappa the Rapper and his girlfriend, a flower, have kids), and I believe it has been done in other Bioware games (Humans and elves in Dragon Age), it is not entirely impossible. Though I probably shouldn't think about it too hard.

Top Bottom