Memories of playing FFVII

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
You know, I never played many games in the Gold Saucer besides the sumo arm wrestling and that basketball game. D:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
THAT BASKETBALL GAME. I remember at one point I became so pro at it :monster: I also remember being greatly amued at the image of Cloud getting into a boxing match with a black disco afro man.

Uhm, I remember as a tentative gamer that I didn't want to equip materia because I thought the status changes would be permamnent. Thus, for a while, I relied on levels+attacks+items+limit breaks :P

ForceStealer

Double Growth
THe basketball and the arm wrestling I never really held my interest, I guess I preferred the more complex ones. Although I did really like the rock/paper/scissors boxing game, it got tough fast if i remember correctly.

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=174.msg10105#msg10105 date=1232523066]
Although I did really like the rock/paper/scissors boxing game, it got tough fast if i remember correctly.
[/quote]
That piece of shite :monster:

I played the boxing game trying to find a pattern. I mostly played it during my early FFVII years, but then gave up. Now I have learned, through a guide, that there truly is NO PATTERN AT ALL! It's just pure chance if you win or lose! I can understand this for the Wonder Catcher, but a boxing game?! It has to be among the worst minigames in history. In fact I once read in a gaming magazine that among a list of worst minigames ever, the Gold Saucer boxing game was the winner. :duhard:

The basketball game...I haven't put my nerves to the test and tried to "master" it. I remember going for a "double chance" run, it was either the second or third chance, and then I lost all my points! I could really feel the rush of negative chemicals in my body.
So no, the basketball game is not for me either.

I remember trying the wrestlers, and I could only ever beat the sumo wrestler. Now when I play it years later, I'm surprised that I did not have the mental dexterity to push the O button quickly enough.
Success, I have evolved since my pre-teenage years!!

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda
They had some really crappy minigames. The basketball game was too simple to hold my interest, but at least it provided me with a few giggles; Cloud playing basketball just cracks me up.

I hated the wrestling game. I don't get much enjoyment out of tapping a button repeatedly. I only like tapping if I'm playing a fishing game, like in Suikoden 2. I spent hours with Yam Koo.

The motorcycle attack game was alright.

The mog game was poop. Fruity and boring. I only did it once, for the 30 GP.

The snowboarding game was awesome. Being able to play as Cid and Tifa, but especially Cid was great.

I also really loved playing the submarine game. It was really addictive. You gotta love launching torpedos at underwater vessels.

I enjoyed racing chocobos overall, but I hated the fact that you couldn't just skip the rest of the race once you crossed the finish line. It got really annoying when you were trying to race your Gold chocobo on the low ranks, and you had to wait for all those lathargic birds to waddle across the line.

kelly20

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=174.msg3972#msg3972 date=1230114062]
[quote author=spacesheep link=topic=174.msg3868#msg3868 date=1230079318]
Oh, and...

24ow1ae.jpg

I remember laughing at Cloud and Tifa's facial expressions on this scene. :monster:
[/quote]

...what facial expressions? :duhard:
[/quote]

lol..I agree I laughed too!!
also I was like only 10, so I remember being really sad about Aerith's death.. and I didn't like Sephiroth back then..I thought he was pure uber eval!!!
but now I have come to appreciate him

Dark koki

Lv. 1 Adventurer
-I couldn't go through the pipe to Wall Market >_<
-I was scared of the scene(actually the music) when Sephiroth throws a materia at Cloud at the basement of the Shinra Mansion
-I was very bad at English and couldn't understand anything from the plot(when I think about it now I had some really weird and funny theories xD)
-I didn't know for a long time what to do to move on in the moment where you control Tifa and Cloud is hospitalized ;/
-I didn't know that you have to catch a chocobo to get past marshes where Midgar Zolom is. I've went through the marshes without the chocobo while not being attacked by Zolom.

Forgot to mention what I think about the submarine game...

It never ceases to be addicting to just spray your opponent with dozens of missiles. But the major reason this game is forgotten, I think, is that your records are never changed. They are just displayed on the screen for less than 10 seconds, and disappear after that.

I remember about a year ago I was playing the submarine game and then accidentally pressed the R1 button.
'What the... OVERHEAD VIEW?!!!'
Yes, press the R1 button and you can see almost the entire area and detect enemy Submarines from afar. I had played the game for all those years and just aimlessly looked for submarines and getting bored because of it. That's what you get for not pressing all buttons. By pressing L1 you can also change how close the camera is stationed relative to the submarine, but it doesn't really help at all.

I could have seen it before, but I just noticed today that if you press start and then select you can choose to quit the minigame. Continued pressing buttons, but found no list of records for each stage. THAT is something to improve for a remake.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Anyone remember the cave you can't enter on the way to the Forgotten City?

scave1yx3.jpg

It looks too obvious for decoration, so it must have been for a scrapped part of the game. Aerith resurrection theories on a postcard! :D

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
There is actually a way to get in there. I did it before in my game.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Would this face lie to you? :duhard:

You need 55 1/35th Soldiers to get to it. A ladder appears and grants you passage. Inside is something very special....

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
You can find Omega WEAPONin the cave. After you defeated it, you can have the silver chocobo which can dive in the swamp where you'll find another WEAPON. :monster:

Reminds me of all the 1/35th Soldier rumours. My friend, who introduced me to FFVII, fooled me and said,
"Look, get 35x of 1/35th soldiers, then visit Zack's parents. Cloud will take them to Zack's grave, where you'll encounter a GIANT Shinra grunt. It is even stronger than all the WEAPONS in the game, but if you defeat it you'll be able to use Zack! Don't you see, he fills in Aeris's spot!"

...Yeah, I was gullible back then in the 90's.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
While that wasn't the method I heard, I do remember a way of getting Zack and that his first limit break was omnislash. While I did fall for the while chocobo one briefly, I didn't believe the Zack one.

[quote author=ForceStealer link=topic=174.msg13219#msg13219 date=1233499493]
While that wasn't the method I heard, I do remember a way of getting Zack and that his first limit break was omnislash. While I did fall for the while chocobo one briefly, I didn't believe the Zack one.
[/quote]
Haha, I heard that Zack had a second Lv4 limit break, called "Mega Omnislash".
The white chocobo is just classic. I believed in that one for a short while too.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Guys...

The surprise in that cave....

IS ZACK :monster:

1/35 SOLDIERs are the key. It takes 35 of those to make one complete SOLDIER. They fuse and create a new body for Zack who inhabits it and thus joins Cloud!

It's totally in the Ultimania too. :duhard:

Kuraudo

Ex-Soldier
AKA
Cloudsoul
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=174.msg13244#msg13244 date=1233501869]
Guys...

The surprise in that cave....

IS ZACK :monster:

1/35 SOLDIERs are the key. It takes 35 of those to make one complete SOLDIER. They fuse and create a new body for Zack who inhabits it and thus joins Cloud!

It's totally in the Ultimania too. :duhard:
[/quote]

No worst than me believing in so many Aeris revival techniques. That was remarkably dumb of me to attempt it, but I figured since there was so many rumors, one had to be true. But nope, very creative though.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I'm fairly sure that reprogramming a save file manually to revive Aeris is easier and faster than any of said revival techniques anyways, :monster:.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I remember at one point, I was entirely convinced that a Chocobo WEAPON existed.

chocoweap.jpg

Yup, that's the one.

Also, I remember one rumour that said there was a secret weapon cunningly disguised as a mountain. I semi-believed that one too, and got really freaked out when passing mountains on my Gold chocobo :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=174.msg13244#msg13244 date=1233501869]1/35 SOLDIERs are the key. It takes 35 of those to make one complete SOLDIER. [/quote]

Its funny how many people took that to mean an actual fraction of a soldier rather than just a scale model. What would 1/35 of a person be anyway? A ~4lb. chunk of flesh? :P

Top Bottom