Metal Gear Solid 5 (+ General Series Thread)

Ghost X

20 seconds? There was only like 3-5 seconds of extra footage, but I guess, 3-5 seconds of extra footage we didn't have before :P.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Nah, it was a bit more than that. :P

The new bits were Raiden dodging RAY's missiles and a the sliced up bits of RAY falling down and exploding, a few seconds of the screen showing the staff credits and the cardboard box bit. :P

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Am I the only one here that's actually not excited about this game? Seems like it's just another action hack and slash game, like DMC and GOW. Not saying games like that are terrible, I loved God of War, but I also appreciated the stealth/infiltration factor offered by the previous Metal Gear titles.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Am I the only one here that's actually not excited about this game? Seems like it's just another action hack and slash game, like DMC and GOW. Not saying games like that are terrible, I loved God of War, but I also appreciated the stealth/infiltration factor offered by the previous Metal Gear titles.

Your mistake is thinking this is a Metal Gear Solid game. It's not, it's a spinoff series thats dropped the MGS name entirely in favor of MGR.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
But, stealth action has been a staple of the Metal Gear series even before Metal Gear Solid. I know they're taking this in a different direction with Raiden, but I always loved being able to play without having to kill anyone if I didn't want to. I've never had that level of control in any other game. I just don't see why that element had to be abandoned to make this good.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'm glad they dropped the "Solid". I always argued that it would help clarifying that this is a spin-off and very different from the usual MGS.
That, and Metal Gear Rising arguably just has a better ring to it etc.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
But, stealth action has been a staple of the Metal Gear series even before Metal Gear Solid. I know they're taking this in a different direction with Raiden, but I always loved being able to play without having to kill anyone if I didn't want to. I've never had that level of control in any other game. I just don't see why that element had to be abandoned to make this good.

Metal Gear Acid was a turn based action card game.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Metal Gear Acid was a turn based action card game.

It was still stealth action. And Acid wasn't even a major title, I don't even think it's even considered canon. It follows an alternate continuity, iirc. If they were to do that with Rising, fine. But, that's not the case. However, I probably shouldn't be passing judgement just yet, the game might turnout differently than what the trailer is portraying it to be. But if they're actually making it just a slice & dice pit like DMC, I think it would be a mistake. Personal preference I suppose.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Rising isn't a major title, and ACID lol stealth. You can call it that but it sure as hell didn't play like a stealth action title.

The best thing you can do now is move on to a real stealth action game like Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Ghost X

I like the Metal Gear universe, but the gameplay factor is important. If I'm not impressed by what I see of the gameplay (I'd need to view more footage to be convinced), then I'll probably just view walkthroughs to get my story fix. I get the impression its pretty much a hack n' slash game, except that sometimes you have to cut your enemy up properly to either kill them or get their energy or both... or whatever. Timing might be important etc, but wow, hardly does anything for me. Nowhere near as entertaining as the variety of things you can do in MGS. I don't think they're even aiming for that anyway.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
BIG BOSS WANTS YOU FOR THE NEXT MGS

SneakingDogs.jpg

Ghost X

If this is MGS5, then... this is like the best news since news was invented. :awesome:.

What is more important though, is that it better have a new online game to replace the old one, damn it.

If the stand alone game is set in the past, I'm guessing the dog will be like a replacement for the Mk.II, which will be thoroughly entertaining.

What does that patch on the shoulder say? I think its "S____ing Dogs" from the look of it. Fill in the blank. Are we certain it is Big Boss? I would actually like it not to be. He appears to be wearing a cape. Maybe its Solidus? Or a yet to be revealed clone, which would be pushing it a bit.

Last edited:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Man I wish I'd look as airbrushed as Kojima does at 50 years old
:monster:

Ghost X

>.>... I sure hope they aren't using live action footage in the game. Tis something I disliked about the original MGS.

Top Bottom