Moving the site

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
'kay, that's weird then. Might've been a spider or something that's been doing an intense spidering thingy of the forums, seeing that those can open up a lot more threads at the same time than any normal human can, :monster:. Although they shouldn't. It's not Google in any case, I've got a page with details on how Google crawls the site (and they've got a sitemap of the frontpage now), and it's only downloaded a max of 5000 KB/day, which isn't that much. Although that might be just the forums - I've added the forums subdomain to the watch list, lemme see if there's stats on that.

Nope, not much there either. In fact, the frontpage seems to have been crawled more than the forums, but that might be blamed on the nature of the content - by default, forums aren't considered as important as frontpages by search engines.

Might've been another search engine or spider though, dunno.

But enough of my jabbering, back on topic.

Let me know (again) if there's any more of said CPU errors, if they occur more frequently, we'll have to do some optimizations on the frontpage and forum software (depending on which is more CPU intensive, I'm fairly certain it's the forum software, with its 20 queries for viewing a thread, >.<).

If that doesn't work, we could switch forum software, might be vB or phpBB is more efficient. Although a vB license isn't going to happen right now, considering that there hasn't been any donations and my own financial situation is a bit meh right now, with me having to, gasp, pay rent now, :monster:.

If that too fails, we'll have to move hosts, again, :/. I'd rather not though, at least not for at least another six months or so.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
How much is the VB license these days? In about a month or so I could pay for the entire thing. I'll have to get a debit card in that time though so I can paypal the thing.

CloudsLadyLove

Lv. 1 Adventurer
180.00 us dollars for a owner license
100.00 Us dollars for a leased license a year

144.00 Euros for owned
80.00 Euros for leased a year

100.00 pounds for owned
55.00 pounds for leased a year

:monster:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
New Zealand Dollar pl0x, too lazy to convert.

nvm got unlazy. Owners = $342 NZD. And leased = $190. I'd be willing to pay for the leased but the owners is out of my budget.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
CPU thing happened again :monster: This is the message that came up:

http://box495.bluehost.com/highload.html

This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota

Please contact this site's webmaster.

Wait a few minutes and use your browser's "Back" button or click here to try again.

If you are the webmaster, your account may have gotten this error for one or more of the following reasons:

* Your account has used more than its share of the cpu in the past 60 second sliding window.
* Your account has too many concurrent processes running simultanously.
* Your account has consumed too much memory.
* Your site was recently very busy trying to run inefficient scripts.

The solution would be to optimize your applications to use less CPU.
Adding appropriate indeces to your SQL tables can often help reduce CPU.
Using static .html documents instead of painful .php scripts will practically eliminate CPU usage.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
'kay, keep me posting on events and I'll look into it.

As for vB, we'll certainly need an owned license, seeing that this site will probably live a lot longer than just a year (which is the extent of the non-owned license). As probably posted before, all donations are welcome, big and small. In fact, I'd rather have that a lot of people donate a little, often, than a few donate a lot only once (depending on the 'lot', of course).

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Well if anyone else would be happy to split the price of the owners with me then i'd be happy with that. I don't mind donating a lot and I would donate more if its needed at a later date for server costs and what have you.

And just so you know I don't want any position of power or anything for donating a lot. If i'm going to stay here a while i'd prefer the forum to be VB not this silly thing we got at moment. :monster:

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I'd probably actually be arsed to donate money this time especially since I still haven't donated for ffof yet :monster: we'll see what I can cough up later.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I got another, different message just now:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

It was only for less than a minute. A couple of seconds later and it was working again.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I got an e-mail on that one too, but that's a problem that was also present back on ye olde FFOF. It's probably the site not being able to connect to the database (!) for a short bit, :monster:.

sephirothpaine

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=185.msg13548#msg13548 date=1233570468]
How come I never get any of these messages? Or is it just a staff thing?
[/quote]

It's most likely staff thing. I haven't got any so I'm assuming. :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I've had that message before.

I thought it had something to do with me getting so fed up with the unactivity that I hit refresh about 500 times in a row.

To no avail, I might add.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
It was a slight exaggeration :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=185.msg13725#msg13725 date=1233603364]
Cunt, don't do that :monster:.
[/quote]

:bigmonster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
[quote author=hitoshura link=topic=185.msg26422#msg26422 date=1236118821]
I got the "This Account Has Exceeded Its CPU Quota" just now.
[/quote]

Interesting. I got "Connection to database could not be established." :monster:

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
What can be done to raise our CPU quota or minimize how much we use?

Because it looks like this is happening more often. I just got that error just now.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I've never had any of these said errors. I must be doing it right.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
I had the CPU error thingy last night too. I made a delicious pun to Makoeyes about the The Lifestream being dead, but he ignored me... :'(

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
[quote author=Masamune link=topic=185.msg26858#msg26858 date=1236167644]
I had the CPU error thingy last night too. I made a delicious pun to Makoeyes about the The Lifestream being dead, but he ignored me... :'(
[/quote]

I'm sorry, by the time I made it back home to my main PC (which I keep on all the time) you were offline.

Although to be honest you deserved to be punished and SENT to the Lifestream for such a corny line. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=185.msg26437#msg26437 date=1236120345]
What can be done to raise our CPU quota or minimize how much we use?

Because it looks like this is happening more often. I just got that error just now.
[/quote]

We can't increase the limit, but we could lower the usage. I'm pretty sure the forums are the heaviest on the server - 21 pages just to view a thread's page is an insane amount - and those could probably be optimized. Ideally, we'd move to vB, but if the donations don't kick back into life again, that could take a while. I'm pretty sure vB is less heavy on the system, and confident it has a lot more performance saving options. The unlimited bandwidth and storage is a plus, it means we could use an aggressive caching thingymabob.

For the frontpage, there's a ready-made caching system available. That shouldn't be too hard to install, and would lower CPU usage by a big factor - instead of regenerating the page for each request, it would first check if there's a cached version available. I'll look into that wicba.

Top Bottom