• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Moving the site

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=185.msg26437#msg26437 date=1236120345]
What can be done to raise our CPU quota or minimize how much we use?
[/quote]
Not use bluehost. Seriously, I've heard nothing but complaints by people who use them. I'm surprised they're so top rated. You basically cannot do anything in the C-panel without that message.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
's odd, I don't find it as prevalent as people make it out to be. Could be just me though, :monster:.

But yeah, in this price range, there isn't really much, if any, competition that has more CPU quota or whatever.

Also, we've used 25 GB of bandwidth last month, which is like five times as much as our limit was on our last host, :monster:. So if we were to move to a new host (which I really hope not, also because the hosting for both this one and the last one have been paid for and are still running), it'd have to offer at least twice as much bandwidth (50GB, preferably more since I'm sure bandwidth consumption will continue to grow) and an X times as much CPU quota. At the very least, that'd be twice as expensive, I can imagine, :monster:.

No, I think that for now, we'll move to vB and install some caching / optimization, see how that goes. We should be able to last a few more months with all that.

Well I've heard good things about hostgator. Also what concerns me about bluehost is they say you can't use profanity on these sites and... I dunno I'm afraid one of them will see this MB and the F word and get all power hungry.

No, I think that for now, we'll move to vB and install some caching / optimization, see how that goes. We should be able to last a few more months with all that.
Hey if you got a vB license sure. Invision is good too. I hear it's more secure and it's cheaper.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Invision would honestly be pretty good as well; I post at a couple of other sites that use that and it seems pretty nifty.

Plus invision 3 is supposed to have a rep feature just like vBulletin's, I know you guys didn't want to use one but I'd like to check it out myself. Also you can get some awesome mods for it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
No rep, kplzthx.

Last site I've used with IVF was ye olde FFOF, and that was like an ancient version of it that didn't get any updates, lyk, evar.

All right fine no rep. I just want to test it to see. I can't seem to find any sites with a preview of invision 3 that has the reps system working so I can't tell if it's any good or not.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Whether the rep system is good or not isn't really an issue, just the fact that it's there has caused loads of unneeded drama, favoritism, anti-favoritism (whatever the word for that is), and negative great justice - which is the bad type, btw.

I understand. This other forum I visit, this one guy if you neg him for ANYTHING he goes fucking apeshit. Even if he's negged you like 10 times in the past, if you neg him, he just goes nuts and spams your profile page with "Y DID U NEG ME!". It bugs me that the admins even let him use the rep system. Fortunately everyone else there is pretty darn cool about it.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, that's exactly the reason why I've denied the inclusion of a rep system, it'll just get abused.

I just spent some time looking at both vB and IVF:

* IVF is pretty expensive, $150 for the basic license that gives you unlimited usage, but only 6 months of updates, with $25,- to buy another 6 months of updates. There's also a commercial license for twice that much, but it only offers more phone support, which I doubt we'll be using.

* Dunno about the features, but it seems to be on-par with vB, probably even less - at least the modding community doesn't seem to be as big. That, and vB seems to be more popular for the largest boards.

* vB offers licenses for $180,- for a perpetual license, with a year of updates and a cost of $60,- for an extra year of updates. Which makes it $5,- more expensive than IVF for a year of updates, now I think about it, and moreso if more updates have to be bought later on.

I've also checked out the development on vB 4.0, which will be the start of a full (architectural) redesign of the software. Although they've stated that it'll be an incremental redesign, meaning that not everything will have been rewritten in the first release of 4.0. Still though, the first betas of 4.0 are due for release in Q2 of this year, so if we'd buy a license now or somewhere soon, we'd be able to hop onto the 4.0 train. 4.0 also has a CMS system, which could be worth looking into if it's any good.

I haven't seen any code of it though, so I can't judge that. IVF seems a tad less user-friendly when it comes to coding and templates, but that's countered again by its better admin CP.

So tbph, I have no clue, :monster:. vB seems the more professional / developed of the two though, but that might just be my personal bias. As I said, the last experience I have with IVF is years ago, with a horribly outdated version, :monster:.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
I prefer the look and feel of vb more than IVP (IVF is the free outdated as hell board I think?)

Also about the money i'm sending my debit card hasn't arrived yet but the money is aside and waiting for it. How much more do you exactly need to be able to get a full vb license?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
IVF (the free version) uses version 2.0 or something (way old btw), and the base IV forum software dates from back when IPB was still free software.

And I need about $180 - $95,50 = $84,50 to be able to buy the vB license.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Ok thats only an extra $17 NZD on top of what I was going to donate. Hopefully I should have it sent to you at the latest by the middle of next week.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, if the donated amount gets to around $150,- or something, I'll pitch in the rest.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah or something like that. When we left there, they were working on their own forum software to replace ye olde IVF, but I dunno if they've finished that yet.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
yeah they finished zetaboards. its not that bad either.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
orly? Guess you're right, I'm more of a fan of self-owned boards really, :monster:.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Yeah I would too if I had the coding skills and whatnot. :monster: But its very user-friendly for the people who don't have too much knowledge/none at all.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
It's less code, more general knowledge about webservers, ftp and databases, really. And a lot of trying and reading instructions.

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
yar lol.

Anyway I got my debit card today. Just have to goto the bank to activate it, then register on paypal and you'll have mah monies. :monster:

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
$84.50 USD has been added to yop yops account. vb nao pl0x.

Top Bottom