• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

My Hero Academia [WSJ]

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
He's mentioned on Twitter a few times being heavily inspired by a lot of anime throughout growing up. I think he was probably an all-around solid guy and this was just a little extra bit that made him really committed to being a hero like his heroes.

I'm seeing it on the 27th as well! Really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out, though it'll be odd getting used to seeing All Might's eyes not covered in shadows at all times.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
If you want an account of what Blaine actually did when he saved that lady, this article has everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. The details are fucking horrific in a way I wasn't properly prepared for, and what he took to make sure that she wasn't killed goes way, WAY beyond just 200 stitches on his right arm.

All the emotions ever about this. <3

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I was literally just writing my post when you made yours!! The movie was so excellent. It did a really damn good job of being exciting and extreme while not feeling like doing that overshadows the moments of excellence that happen afterwards, because it takes place between seasons 2 & 3.

Fun reasons to show the other classmates showing up because of Yaoyorozu. I love that Dave & All Might are a lot like Batman & Superman. Also, the twists on twists on twists about Dave being responsible because he wanted to save All Might, into him being betrayed by Sam and them being real criminals, to All-For-One orchestrating the event in order to fuck with All Might psychologically. Just all around excellent. Every fucking time he appears with that music and smile, you can feel everyone in the theater just getting hype as fuck.

Also, Bakugo & Mineta were goddamn HILARIOUS. I think it'd be cool if we get to see more of Melissa some time later on.

Also, Godzillo is best hero. :mon:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X

In case anyone didn't get a chance to see it (or wanted to see it again), they're having extra showings today & Saturday because of how well it did!

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Tournament arc is going fantastically and Ochako is a precious cinnamon roll.

Carry on.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Hells yes. Everything during the tournament arc is just great!

I'm super excited for the this Saturday, because the SimulDub will release the final episode of Season 3. Start to finish, Season 3 has been a goddamned rollercoaster of emotions, and I just cannot get enough about how it's taken things we've seen in other WSJ shonen series and made them feel fresh, emotional, passionate, and alive again. PUMP THIS SERIES THROUGH MY VEINS!

Also, I'm just getting to the final exams in the manga now. I'm on Volume 8 and Season 3 ends around Volume 14, so still lots to read!

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I'm fresh out of Tournament Arc and I need more Tournament Arc.

Off-topic: How would people feel about me making an Anime & Manga section. We have a lot of threads here in the comic section which are for joint discussion of both a series' anime and its manga.
I'm one of probably many people who only usually delve into something's anime and it feels weird navigating to a Comic section for that. :monster: Thoughts?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
There's LOTS of good past the tournament arc, and the finals will get you some of your fix for that kind of action.

Also, go for it, dude. I'd be more than happy to have that as its own section, since there's probably more than enough just in the pinned thread in Entertainment to justify its presence, and a lot of the more active threads in Comics these days are anime/manga. It'd also make sense to pull things like the live-action adaptations of Bleach, and even the Netflix Godzilla trilogy into a section like that.

Reactions: Joe

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I'm so damn pleased of how well it's done in theaters here! It'll be interesting to see how that compares with the new Dragonball Super: Broly movie early next year. Any way you slice it, it's all excellent news!

The SimulDub of Season 3 ended today, so I'm all caught up with the rest of the anime-watching world! It ended on a properly satisfying note of things to come, but I was glad that it just felt like it's going on a bit of a break for a bit, rather than leaving everything hanging right at the cusp of something massively high-stakes and cliffhanger-like. It is definitely something that's got me pumped to just dive into the manga to push forward in the interim, but not something where I have an overwhelming need to know everything right at this very moment.

On that note: I've been reading an exorbitant amount of old Venom/Carnage comics this week, but planning on diving back into manga catch-up soon, and then it'll be time for spoiler tagged venting!

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Up to Episode 30 now. God I love the way this is all panning out. And hey it looks like they are introducing
9689E940C5995A27E4B72092836258EC29E0D8D0

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Oh man, that's when I felt that things started getting really, REALLY good. The ways that Stain's ideologies intersect and conflict with Shigaraki's is one of the things I find UNBELIEVABLY well-designed about the series and how and where the conflicts around the idea of a hero-filled universe would come up. There's a lot of depth all over that, and I think that as soon as Iida has to deal with his brother's injury is where the series feels like it properly cracks open from the more classic WSJ arcs and keeps playing with its tropes in really interesting and often unexpected ways.

There are a LOT of moments like that where the character development is SO damned good, because Kohei Hoshikori always seems to keep a lot of elements and character-specific motivations boiling behind-the-scenes, and then pops them up in ways where the characters feel a lot more like real people – especially people their age and how they can vary in how they express or internalize situations that they've had to deal with.

As a non-spoiler example: One of the in-betweener pages in the manga, he mentions one of the news casters we see in the background on tv has a quirk where he has two horns. The character removed part of his right one, so that it didn't obscure videos edited in behind him when he was reporting, but as a result he's received backlash as it seeming like he was making a statement of being ashamed of his quirk. That's all stuff he's thought through for a character who doesn't REALLY have any lines of his own. It's why I think that where the series really starts to shine is knowing that Kohei is internally keeping track of character motivations of his characters VERY specifically. That when he uses moments and things like that, they feel REALLY fully formed, and he varies between showcasing those things front-and-center in the story, and having them happening passively, and only coming into the forefront when they're necessary as a point that it breaks into the story – like with Iida and his brother.

Super hyped for you to get wrapped on Season 2 & move in to Season 3, man! (Also, I think you'll quite enjoy how S3 uses that character you're into) ;)

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I WAS STARING AT THE ONE HORNED GUY CRACKING JOKES WITH MY ROOMMATE

"Hey do you think his quirk is Symmetry and he just grows another horn on the other side?"

"I'm still not sure what Best Jeanist's quirk is but he's definitely my favourite character"

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Also I love both Stain and Shigaraki. Stain seems way more interesting and sounds like he has a dope backstory.
Shigaraki on the other hand just feels so REAL. Like he's a person. A warped and fucked-up guy that isn't getting his way but there's something really uncanny about how he just seemms like a messed up dude.

Toga when!!

Also mostly on topic: I am getting the One's Justice game on PS4 in a week when its out. Was fortunate enough to play some of it last month at EGX and it's EXACTLY WHAT I WANT. More of that UNS style of combat which prioritises making the characters play and look like they do in the anime. I'm eager to catch up before then so the game doesn't spoil much.
Anyone else planning on getting it?

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Yeah, Kohei's got a way of taking characters that seem fairly tropish and one-dimensional, and making it so that they're genuinely believable people underneath everything. Season 3 cranks that up to 11 (you'll get a decent taste of Toga in Season 3). Not to mention, you'll find out why Best Jeanist has DEFINITELY secured his standing as the #4 hero.

Oh – you KNOW I'm getting One's Justice the day it comes out! I'm pretty much positive that it covers everything through the end of Season 3, so you HAVE to get through that before playing it, because there is a fucking HUGE moment that you need to see in the anime vs. experiencing it in-game.

Top Bottom