NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

Lex

Administrator
The more I watch the trailer, the more I like it.

BUT - I was instantly worried last night when they showed Sephiroth. I do not want to see him until the Kalm flashback. I suppose if they avoid showing his face until then it's a fair compromise for the time being, but such a big deal is made and has been made in interviews about how they didn't even talk about Sephiroth in the beginning of the game. He's meant to be a shadow, so if he pops up every 5 minutes I'll probably be annoyed. They need to be careful about how they handle that one.

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
Ah! Grashtrikes use Silk to attack, maybe that's what that organic material is in the background? And that whole area is the train tracks leading to the second reactor? I think I saw a train pass at one point.

I gotta say I'm now very much not looking forward to seeing what they do with the Stingers in Cave of the Gi...

Last edited:

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
Question: Is the comparison image pulled using the same frame from the Japanese or the English trailer? Due to the fact that we've seen that the dubbing is language-specific, those scenes are going have little discrepancies around the mouth based on the dialogue being spoken. The fact that the difference is specifically a subtle little smile is likely the result of the differences in the EN/JP performance capture – especially because the only difference is around her mouth.

I'll try and look more closely at the hair/shadow details on the other ones though.

X :neo:
Ah good point about Aerith's mouth. The frame I was using to compare to the IGN image was from the JP trailer while the EN trailer does have more of a smile for that frame. As for the shadows, look at her necklace, there's no shadow below it in the trailer screenshot and a soft one in the IGN screen.

Zwhuwkj.png

I do hope whatever the next trailer/teaser we get it uploaded at 4K.

Ghost X

@Lex:

*Cloud gets off train at beginning*
Sephiroth: Sup, puppet dude?

*Cloud and Barret attempt to synchronise their button pressing*
Sephiroth: Did that bring you despair?

*Cloud gets into elevator*
Sephiroth: Do da-do da-do da da-do.

Brings new insight to why Cloud kneels down and grabs his head from time to time :p.

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Clouds new face reminds me of noctis a bit too much. I liked his old mako-addict sunken face better,. It was more surreal and original.

Love aeris' voice actress. Exactly how i imagine her to sound. Never liked how sephiroth has been voiced in the compilation. Comes off way too smug. Makes me take him less seriously as a threat

I'm betting in June we'll get a 'coming 2020' date. I bet it will be a ps5 launch title and the next episode will land exactly one year later.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I like to think the sword was the first thing Aerith noticed about Cloud in this trailer. She lives in the slums. She encounters weirdos every day. Seeing troubled souls pass her by isn't the sort of thing I think would catch her attention or cause alarm. Seeing her ex-boyfriend's one-of-a-kind (so far as we know) comically large, unwieldy sword tacked onto someone else's back would probably grab her attention.

Also, Zack just died not very long ago...probably within the last several weeks or months? Anyone good with the timeline? In the ending scene of CC, it is strongly insinuated that Aerith somehow felt his death. So...Zack is probably fresh in her mind.

I think she noticed the sword first...

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Ah good point about Aerith's mouth. The frame I was using to compare to the IGN image was from the JP trailer while the EN trailer does have more of a smile for that frame. As for the shadows, look at her necklace, there's no shadow below it in the trailer screenshot and a soft one in the IGN screen.

Zwhuwkj.png

I do hope whatever the next trailer/teaser we get it uploaded at 4K.

Yup, that's exactly the sort of thing that you'd expect to see from chroma subsampling video compression (this video covers it well/quickly with specifics to YouTube videos). :awesomonster:

It's easier to tell if you focus more specifically on what the video does to her hair, and how it looks like it's shrinking in size, and how the section that's lighter near the bottom changes size pretty significantly. It's most obvious as an issue due to video compression because of the little section of hair with the background behind it, and the particular way that that one's uniquely mangled with the background color in the YouTube version.

Even if you pop these two open in separate tabs and toggle between them, you'll notice where it hits really easily.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 6.58.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 6.59.12 PM.png

X :neo:

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
@Nandemoyasan I'd say it looks more like Fringed Loosestrife, but great catch!

I disagree.

fringedloosestrife.png

Fringed Loosestrife has red bases in the center of the bloom, and white stamens in the growth.

whorledloosestrife.png

...Whereas Whorled Loosestrife has yellow bases in the center of the bloom, and red stamens in the growth.

...Not to put you on the spot, as it were. I just feel one flower more closely resembles the flower Aeris is handing him, and this is FF7 for goodness' sake, and YOUTH WANTS TO KNOW :)

Top Bottom